2016-2017 University of Massachussetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Austinj did they just change the way they grade student. their website says that pre-clinical years are graded based on this scale. Honors, Near Honors, Satisfactory, Marginal, Unsatisfactory or Incomplete. I'm not familiar with the school since i am OOS but if they change the policy to give out pass no pass, i would definitely go here if I'm accepted.
http://www.umassmed.edu/som/academic-programs/policies-procedures/
Interesting hopefully a current student has information about this

Members don't see this ad.

@Austinj did they just change the way they grade student. their website says that pre-clinical years are graded based on this scale. Honors, Near Honors, Satisfactory, Marginal, Unsatisfactory or Incomplete. I'm not familiar with the school since i am OOS but if they change the policy to give out pass no pass, i would definitely go here if I'm accepted.

Not sure - Thanks for pointing that out. I can text one of the first year students on the second look committee and get a definitive answer.

Just got accepted this morning for the PURCH program! Interviewed 11/9

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

This is the quote from the first year student I reached out to: "The first two years are pass/fail, clinical years are high pass/pass/low pass/fail, which is important for getting a good residency match". Since she's currently in the program and receiving grades, this is the most accurate information.

This is the quote from the first year student I reached out to: "The first two years are pass/fail, clinical years are high pass/pass/low pass/fail, which is important for getting a good residency match". Since she's currently in the program and receiving grades, this is the most accurate information.

can you confirm if there is any sort of "rank?" on pre-clinical classes

can you confirm if there is any sort of "rank?" on pre-clinical classes
the curriculum presentation they gave says its credit/no credit for the pre clinical years which i'm assuming is pass/fail without stratifications

Does anyone know when UMass sends out their last II's, and when their last interview dates are? I'm an IS applicant.

OOS applicant here. I got an II here and am hoping for some advice. Is the most common/logical thing to do when it's snowing to wear snowboots to the interview and bring a change of shoes?
Also, does anyone know if there is uber in Worcester?

OOS applicant here. I got an II here and am hoping for some advice. Is the most common/logical thing to do when it's snowing to wear snowboots to the interview and bring a change of shoes?
For my interview day, we didn't go outside for anything and walking from the parking garage to the building was almost entirely under a covered walkway so you should be fine without snow boots, and there is Uber in Worcester

I wore boots on my interview day just because it was very cold. I placed my boots underneath the coatrack when I arrived and didn't have to touch them again until I left for the day.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, for my interview day we stayed inside the whole time. I was dropped off right by the building so I just wore my interview shoes (I also interviewed in November, no snow then) but there is a place to leave boots and coats so it would be no problem to wear snowboots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This wait feels soooo long. Interviewed in December. IS

Reactions: 1 user
Also IS, interviewed early December for Purch and UMASS and still waiting! Very anxious to hear

Still waiting from an October interview :(

Waiting from September. Even worse!
Be patient!!! I only heard a month ago from mid September interview. I know the feeling, felt like I had waited SO long. But it really is random, and just try and remain positive (or that's what I found easiest)! It will be worth it

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when we will get more info about applying for financial aid? (I want to make sure I didn't miss an email or something) Thanks! :)

4th year here....we also have "outstanding" for 3rd/4th year, which is honors. While there is no official ranking, AOA is determined by your step 1 score and 3rd year grades (and to a lesser extent your available 4th year grades).

Does anyone know when we will get more info about applying for financial aid? (I want to make sure I didn't miss an email or something) Thanks! :)
Are you still waiting on a decision or you are an accepted applicant? I got more information about financial aid and applying for it in my acceptance email is why I'm asking.

Are you still waiting on a decision or you are an accepted applicant? I got more information about financial aid and applying for it in my acceptance email is why I'm asking.

Accepted! I sent them my Financial Aid Fact sheet when I was accepted and they said they would be sending out more info but it's been a while since then so I wanted to check.

Accepted! I sent them my Financial Aid Fact sheet when I was accepted and they said they would be sending out more info but it's been a while since then so I wanted to check.
Ok, same - I did not receive any email after the fact sheet. They have information on applying for aid on the website (even though its a year old), so I was also using that as reference. Either way you did not miss any specific emails to this years process.

Ok, same - I did not receive any email after the fact sheet. They have information on applying for aid on the website (even though its a year old), so I was also using that as reference. Either way you did not miss any specific emails to this years process.

Thanks! :) I saw the same info from last year and sent them my FAFSA and CSS based on that. Hopefully that's good for now!

4th year here....we also have "outstanding" for 3rd/4th year, which is honors. While there is no official ranking, AOA is determined by your step 1 score and 3rd year grades (and to a lesser extent your available 4th year grades).

Thanks for the info!

They just sent an email this afternoon with the updated info. All the forms on the website are updated also.

Has anyone been accepted recently? Seems like last date posted here was 2/3. Seems unusually quiet with the March date of having the class filled per AAMC traffic rules quickly approaching.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone, especially current students, aware of any merit based aid/scholarships at UMMS?

I am currently a 4th year at UMMS. I can confirm this. We have true pass/fail with no rank years 1 & 2. Years 3 & 4 we do Outstanding (Honors)/Above Expected/Expected/Fail. AOA is from step 1 and 3rd+early 4th year grades.

As for some info on the process, I was told that we cannot accept more people than we have spots at any given time. This is why they typically don't send rejections or waitlists until late April unless the decision was not close. Because of the limit on acceptances, a lot of movement from the waitlist happens so it is not a bad place to be.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted! First choice! So excited to come here.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm going to echo pretty much everyone in this situation but.... I really wish they would just let me know one way or another post-II

Just interviewed here and already neurotically checking the portal...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users