2018-2019 University of Massachussetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heyo, does anyone know the scoop on merit based (or just non-need based) scholarships at UMass? Is there a lot available? Any available?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi futureDr.,
Here is a link to their "Gift Aid" Gift Aid - School of Medicine - UMASS Medical School I believe you need to complete a Fafsa including your parents' info, and the application for aid is March 29. Applications for loans should be done before the end of May. Hope this helps.
Thank you the reply Neuro,
I found that page, but noticed that all of the gift aid stipulates it is for students with financial need. Just wondering if there is aid that is not dependent on financial need, looks like maybe not...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you the reply Neuro,
I found that page, but noticed that all of the gift aid stipulates it is for students with financial need. Just wondering if there is aid that is not dependent on financial need, looks like maybe not...

There is....although it doesn't appear to be well-advertised. I received a merit scholarship (Chancellor's scholarship) with acceptance. It seems to cover either the difference between OOS and IS tuition for OOS students, or is a full tuition scholarship for IS students. No idea how many scholarships there are though.

any chance they'll send out any more decisions today since people heard earlier this week?

This is ruffffff

Agreed, another school I was invited to interview, interviewed, and accepted in a matter of two weeks. Honestly baffles me that some are so quick and some are insanely slow at this point in the cycle. I wanna at least know if I'm accepted/waitlisted/rejected before second look day...

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how the adcom here decides the order of review of people post-interview?

Does anyone know how the adcom here decides the order of review of people post-interview?
Hello sosos, I remember being told last year that they look at remaining applicants equally each week. Someone also suggested that the students who are waitlisted are more strongly considered during the following year's cycle. I don't know how accurate that is, only because it was students talking with students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have information regarding when events/classes start, when we should arrive in Worcester, etc.?

I'm really looking forward to going here, but the website is prime material for /r/mildlyinfuriating...

I called admissions to get a better understanding of the waitlist. They told me that if you were put on the waitlist, it means they view your application as substantial and believe you will significantly contribute to the class, but "can't" accept you at this time (I suspect this is when the class is full?). They also mentioned that since the waitlist isn't ranked, they re-review every waitlisted applicant every time they have an opening in order to decide who's pulled next. Hope this helps others too!

Reactions: 5 users
Do they only send out decisions on mondays and fridays? I’ve heard a few people get decisions on other week days.

So if you haven't heard anything and are not waitlisted, can we assume we're rejected? This is such an awful process.

So if you haven't heard anything and are not waitlisted, can we assume we're rejected? This is such an awful process.
I doubt it to be honest. They are notoriously slow. I may just be an optimist, but I think they’ll continue to send out acceptances or at least WLs

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any advice on sending in multiple update letters? I already sent in two updates and one letter of intent, but I recently had a manuscript accepted for publication. I don't want to annoy them, but I also feel that is an important update.

Does anyone have any advice on sending in multiple update letters? I already sent in two updates and one letter of intent, but I recently had a manuscript accepted for publication. I don't want to annoy them, but I also feel that is an important update.
Absolutely send in the update.

Received the waitlist email yesterday. Interviewed in January

I know SDN is not representative of the entire applicant pool but are the rest of us just fighting for waitlist spots now?

Last school to hear back from and finally accepted after 6+ months of post-II silence! Will be withdrawing though, good luck everyone! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Have people been getting accepted via email, phone call or the portal? Just curious as to what I can check to continue to see that I'm not admitted. Whomp whomp.

Congrats! Were you previously waitlisted?

Nope, the last communication I had was the UAC email in October

Have people been getting accepted via email, phone call or the portal? Just curious as to what I can check to continue to see that I'm not admitted. Whomp whomp.

I was accepted via email, my portal doesn't say accepted yet

I was accepted via email a couple weeks back.

Just gave up my seat though! Hopefully, one of you gets it and the Chancellor's scholarship too! Good luck!

Email - and it is clear that it is an acceptance when you receive the message. Good luck!

Hopefully we get some news today, has anyone heard anything recently?

I'm getting kind of annoyed... I know they are notoriously slow but I'd like to make a decision sooner than April 30th.

Reactions: 2 users
Waiting to hear literally anything from umass like

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 14 users
I love love love the box on the portal that says admitted that's empty waiting for a green check. It's like a very hopeful to do list.

Reactions: 3 users
this is an absolute joke!!!! Coming up on 8 months since my interview with absolute radio silence.... Just reject me already so I can move the on

Also just noticed second look is on Friday and they haven't given a ton of us decisions yet LMAO

I also just now logged in to the portal and noticed the box for "Admitted" which was not there before. Does everyone have this box now? Or are there still people who are waiting to hear back who do not have this box?

I also just now logged in to the portal and noticed the box for "Admitted" which was not there before. Does everyone have this box now? Or are there still people who are waiting to hear back who do not have this box?
Hi sosos, I am a reapplicant this year, and if I remember correctly from last year, there was the lonely, empty "Admitted" box in the portal the whole time. Good luck with this, I know how the waiting feels.

I got straight-up rejected... in-state, LM 75, thought my MMI went well, and obviously since Mass only has one state school, this was my best financial option by far and would have been my top choice. I'm really bummed :oops:

I got straight-up rejected... in-state, LM 75, thought my MMI went well, and obviously since Mass only has one state school, this was my best financial option by far and would have been my top choice. I'm really bummed :oops:
Sorry to hear that, did you get that news today?

I don’t know why I get excited for Friday’s anymore, but who else is looking forward to being more stressed today?