2016-2017 University of Massachussetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waiting from September. Even worse!
Me too! silence since September interview, IS :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hopefully the committee is meeting today! looks like they met on monday too so maybe they're doing extra meetings this month

Does anyone know the last interview date? I was told they are continuing interviews through March?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing they didn't meet today if no one posted acceptances on here;)

Has anyone received acceptances since the last post? / Does anyone know if there are still seats left in the incoming class?

Wow, rejected via email.

IS, early September interview, LizzyM ~77, great EC's. Should have been a slam dunk. I must really really suck at interviewing to not even get waitlisted with how strong my app was. Now I'm worried, did I bomb my other interviews too? :mad:

Maybe I got yield protected? But I feel like that shouldn't happen given I have strong ties to MA and a good reason to matriculate at UMass. Seems more likely that I spectacularly bombed the MMI.

Wow, can't even log into the portal anymore. UMass don't play around.

Last edited:
Wow, rejected via email.

IS, early September interview, LizzyM ~77, great EC's. Should have been a slam dunk. I must really really suck at interviewing to not even get waitlisted with how strong my app was. Now I'm worried, did I bomb my other interviews too? :mad:

Maybe I got yield protected? But I feel like that shouldn't happen given I have strong ties to MA and a good reason to matriculate at UMass. Seems more likely that I spectacularly bombed the MMI.

Wow man, color me surprised. UMass is honestly pretty hard to read in their admissions process, at least you have other great options!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, rejected via email.

wow that's very hard to believe. didn't i see you around the pritzker/ucsf threads too?
they will miss out on you i'm sure!

wow that's very hard to believe. didn't i see you around the pritzker/ucsf threads too?
they will miss out on you i'm sure!

I'm super fortunate to have some great options already, and I wouldn't have attended anyways even with a full scholarship so it's kind of whatever... But I'm still waiting to hear from my top picks and now I'm paranoid that maybe I screwed up those interviews too!

Definitely going to do a lot more mock interviews when it comes time for residency application. I talked to a resident friend of mine who was involved in admissions at UMass and he thinks probably I was really off-putting to at least 1 interviewer and they torpedoed me. I said that I thought the whole point of MMI was so that doesn't happen, to which he lol'd and said really it's just more chances for you to sink yourself because interviewers can include comments, and obviously if somebody really doesn't want to see you admitted they can make that happen.

In any case,
ranking.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I'm super fortunate to have some great options already, and I wouldn't have attended anyways even with a full scholarship so it's kind of whatever...
So what's the point then? Maybe they got that same vibe from you during your interview? The interview is about more than just stats and ECs, it's about whether you'd be a good fit for the institution.

So what's the point then? Maybe they got that same vibe from you during your interview? The interview is about more than just stats and ECs, it's about whether you'd be a good fit for the institution.

Well I didn't have any acceptances at the time I interviewed. It was pretty early in the cycle so I wasn't burnt out on the process yet, and was definitely on my best behavior trying 100% to do well. I don't think there was much opportunity to give off a vibe like that anyways, since the MMI stations were mostly ethical and philosophically focused. Who knows though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Hoping (since its a Friday) we all get some news today!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I know that UMass can only accept like 100 students at a time or something so a lot of students don't get in until way later, but like for those of us who interviewed a while ago (December here), should we expect any sort of communication (waitlist/rejection) within a certain time frame or could we conceivably just have literally no communication until the class is finalized at the start of orientation in August? I would've assumed they would let us know our general status post-interview by around March but it seems like most of us still have silence and I don't see any rhyme or reason to the decisions that have been posted on SDN so far?

Reactions: 2 users
So I know that UMass can only accept like 100 students at a time or something so a lot of students don't get in until way later, but like for those of us who interviewed a while ago (December here), should we expect any sort of communication (waitlist/rejection) within a certain time frame or could we conceivably just have literally no communication until the class is finalized at the start of orientation in August? I would've assumed they would let us know our general status post-interview by around March but it seems like most of us still have silence and I don't see any rhyme or reason to the decisions that have been posted on SDN so far?
I'm just another applicant so I honestly don't know (I've been asking myself this question every week since Nov), but I looked at the thread from last year and it looked like a lot of the waitlist/rejections (and even some acceptances) came out late April 2016....

For people still waiting to hear back, should we be preemptively submitting financial aid documents (like fafsa, css profile etc)? Some of the other schools have emailed to do that.

For people still waiting to hear back, should we be preemptively submitting financial aid documents (like fafsa, css profile etc)? Some of the other schools have emailed to do that.
I am pretty sure UMASS specifically says do not submit financial aid documents until you have an acceptance (from what I have read) but I would check with them directly

Has UMMS stuck to the 3rd Friday of the month decision timeline this year? Do we think a lot of people will hear back this Friday?

I feel like decisions have been a lot more sporadic this cycle...

Has UMMS stuck to the 3rd Friday of the month decision timeline this year? Do we think a lot of people will hear back this Friday?

I feel like decisions have been a lot more sporadic this cycle...

I really hope so, this waiting is driving me crazy! Last year it seems like they kept the same timeline.

If they stick to the schedules of years past, wait-list vs rejection emails will go out mid-late April for everyone who hasn't heard yet. most movement happens in May/June. Don't submit your financial aid application until you are accepted. They process them quickly once accepted.

If they stick to the schedules of years past, wait-list vs rejection emails will go out mid-late April for everyone who hasn't heard yet. most movement happens in May/June. Don't submit your financial aid application until you are accepted. They process them quickly once accepted.
do you know if it's typical for them to send out a bigger batch/density of acceptances mid-late march?

do you know if it's typical for them to send out a bigger batch/density of acceptances mid-late march?
I am not sure, but I do know that the biggest wave has traditionally been in April. It would stand to reason that as more students withdraw, more acceptances will go out, but UMMS doesn't control what the applicants with multiple acceptances do.

Is there any hope for a September interview spot to still get in this late? I imagine I can't be very memorable 6+ months later

Is there any hope for a September interview spot to still get in this late? I imagine I can't be very memorable 6+ months later

My tour guide said she interviewed early september and was waitlisted in april and got in in May. She mentioned that's UMASS Is really slow overall, but you should still have hope at least until you get rejected. There is really good waitlist movement as well

My tour guide said she interviewed early september and was waitlisted in april and got in in May. She mentioned that's UMASS Is really slow overall, but you should still have hope at least until you get rejected. There is really good waitlist movement as well
Have many people gotten rejected post-II or do they save most of them until the end...?

Have many people gotten rejected post-II or do they save most of them until the end...?

I don't know that, but I think they reject people as they go. Once they reach a decision they let you known within 24 hrs.

Thank you! That gives me hope

They will reject people after the interview if they just don't see them fitting at UMass. If you haven't received a rejection yet, you are still in the running for a spot if it comes up (there is no way to tell where you stand in that pool) and/or the waitlist in April. When I applied and at least the year after, all the waitlists and remaining rejections went out in April before all accepted students everywhere have to make their deposits or withdraw.

Accepted today!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing today? Man I was thinking today would be a big decision day... maybe match day has delayed it...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For people accepted to PURCH, the letter says "Please respond to this conditional offer within two weeks of receipt of this letter".

Do they just mean accept the offer from UMMS or do we have to do something extra?

Anyone hear back about financial aid awards yet?

Anyone hear back about financial aid awards yet?

I'm assuming those will be released after the March 31st deadline. I'm not sure though. Curious though, has anyone received a confirmation email after sending in the fact sheet. In particular if you scanned the fact sheet and then emailed it. I didn't get a response, so I am wondering if that is common.

I'm assuming those will be released after the March 31st deadline. I'm not sure though. Curious though, has anyone received a confirmation email after sending in the fact sheet. In particular if you scanned the fact sheet and then emailed it. I didn't get a response, so I am wondering if that is common.
I emailed the UMass fin aid app document in (if that's what you mean by fact sheet) and I got an email back listing the other documents that I still had to turn in

I emailed the UMass fin aid app document in (if that's what you mean by fact sheet) and I got an email back listing the other documents that I still had to turn in

Funny you say that because I literally just got a similar email. Thanks !