2016-2017 University of Massachussetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yikes, I'm reading this now and seeing people from both October and November getting in. If I interviewed mid-october and haven't heard anything does that mean I got passed over if people who interviewed in November are already getting accepted?

Admissions told me they make a decision (accept, waitlist, decline) as soon as they come across your app again post-interview and email you that same day. They review applications every Friday morning and email out decisions in the early afternoon. I wouldn't read too much into the timing of things, it seems to be more random than anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally did do some reading
Ahh guess I'll look up some ethics topics then.

Also, I've heard from friends that some MMIs also have a traditional interview (as in about your ecs, why this school, etc). Does anyone know if UMass does this?

Ahh guess I'll look up some ethics topics then.

Also, I've heard from friends that some MMIs also have a traditional interview (as in about your ecs, why this school, etc). Does anyone know if UMass does this?

Although I can't give specifics because they ask you not to, I would suggest knowing your app just like any other interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still receiving interviews? Submitted my app early September and hoping for an II soon...

Hey guys! Current MS1 at UMASS here, absolutely LOVE this school and everyone/everything about it. I'm happy to answer questions if you want to PM me, I know the network of SDN was hugely helpful in my application process. I'm IS, applied with the old MCAT after a gap year, and was deciding between UMASS and a handful of other schools (especially the other Boston schools), so happy to share my process. GOOD LUCK and I hope to see many of you here next year!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an accepted student at UMass. I'm deciding between UMass and a few other schools. I attended classes for a day today and loved it so much that I came back with a UMass School of Medicine Sweatshirt. This school is so awesome. No other school I've interviewed at compares, not even the higher ranked ones I've been to! If you get an II or acceptance, seriously consider coming here!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!! interviewed 12/19, IS, LizzyM <65, URM, beyondddd ecstatic

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!!! interviewed 12/19, IS, LizzyM <65, URM, beyondddd ecstatic
Congratulations! Just wondering, did you receive the acceptance today? If so, I feel like that possibly derails the "committee only meets on Friday" theory

Received my Acceptance last week! OOS applicant, LizzyM =69, interviewed in September, worth the wait!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any OOS-ers who would be willing to give me some feedback on the interview and your overall thoughts? I really like what I've read from the website, but I'm still torn about an investment on an expensive school if I have cheaper opportunities in my state. I haven't bought my flight ticked (which I know it may make my flight a little more expensive), but I want to make sure I am making a good investment.

does anyone know the email we can send update letters to? tytytytytytyyy

Received my Acceptance last week! OOS applicant, LizzyM =69, interviewed in September, worth the wait!!

Are you planning on attending UMass, or is another school higher ranked on your list?

Umass is my top pick and I've been accepted, so we might be classmates. Congratulations!

Has anybody heard when we will hear back from PURCH?

Are you planning on attending UMass, or is another school higher ranked on your list?

Umass is my top pick and I've been accepted, so we might be classmates. Congratulations!

As of right now it is where I plan to attend! I am still waiting on a few other post-interview decisions that may change things, but see you in the fall possibly!

Any OOS-ers who would be willing to give me some feedback on the interview and your overall thoughts? I really like what I've read from the website, but I'm still torn about an investment on an expensive school if I have cheaper opportunities in my state. I haven't bought my flight ticked (which I know it may make my flight a little more expensive), but I want to make sure I am making a good investment.
I honestly thought the interview day was amazing and well worth it. The MMI was fun and the rest of the day was very relaxed and allowed you to get to know the school and other students well. I cannot say if it's worth the investment for you personally, but I am definitely glad that I attended the interview and have since been accepted.

Would interviewing on 1/30 vs 2/16 make a significant difference in chances of acceptance? If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi guys, I interviewed in early Jan and there is a green check mark under the "Under Consideration" tab. Does this have any meaning ? thank you so much

Hi guys, I interviewed in early Jan and there is a green check mark under the "Under Consideration" tab. Does this have any meaning ? thank you so much
I am almost certain this just means you are done with your interview and under consideration for admission

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected pre-II half an hour ago. IS. LizzyM ~70. Complete 7/15. Message went to my spam folder.

ii today, super random! LizzyM 69, oos!
Super grateful, but thinking of withdrawing. Good luck to everyone else!!!

Any acceptances/waitlists/rejections in the past week?

Accepted yesterday! IS, interviewed early December. If everyone who has been accepted has joined the fb group for next years class, then only about 1/3 of the class has been filled, plenty of acceptances left!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Was anyone who was accepted a purch applicant?

Accepted yesterday! IS, interviewed early December. If everyone who has been accepted has joined the fb group for next years class, then only about 1/3 of the class has been filled, plenty of acceptances left!

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm also in the Facebook group - if you want to add me you can send me a pm. I'll see you in August if you end up attending at Umass!

I know people have already talked about this...but is there any rhyme or reason to order of acceptances? I interviewed 12/1 and have not heard back yet, but I know people who interviewed later already have. Is this a bad sign, or just random?

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm also in the Facebook group - if you want to add me you can send me a pm. I'll see you in August if you end up attending at Umass!
Did they already send out the email about the FB group? How did you guys find it?

Did they already send out the email about the FB group? How did you guys find it?

They sent me an email a few weeks after I was accepted. I can PM you the email of someone on the second look committee if you didn't get an invite. She could add you.

+1
I know people have already talked about this...but is there any rhyme or reason to order of acceptances? I interviewed 12/1 and have not heard back yet, but I know people who interviewed later already have. Is this a bad sign, or just random?

dont know why, but im pretty sure acceptances don't go out 100% linearly. mid-November interviewee got accepted yesterday via email (friend)

They sent me an email a few weeks after I was accepted. I can PM you the email of someone on the second look committee if you didn't get an invite. She could add you.
Oh I just missed the attachment in the email, thanks!

Have there been any post-II rejections? Apologies if they were earlier in the thread and I missed them.

It is honestly random....I interviewed in September and heard back in January. The person who presented my application to the committee told me it was presented the day before I received my acceptance. Therefore, I know I got my decision right after they made their decision (as they promised). I have no idea how they decide when to present applications to the committee but I feel it is pretty random and you will get your decision once they make theirs.

It is honestly random....I interviewed in September and heard back in January. The person who presented my application to the committee told me it was presented the day before I received my acceptance. Therefore, I know I got my decision right after they made their decision (as they promised). I have no idea how they decide when to present applications to the committee but I feel it is pretty random and you will get your decision once they make theirs.
how did you have contact with the person who presented your file to the committee?

how did you have contact with the person who presented your file to the committee?
idk about cheeselover, but I personally received a separate email from the person who presented my application to the committee after a few days of receiving the acceptance email.
I personally got accepted within a few weeks of my interview, but I've heard of people from last year's class who interviewed in October and received their acceptance in March, so it's definitely not linear.

idk about cheeselover, but I personally received a separate email from the person who presented my application to the committee after a few days of receiving the acceptance email.
I personally got accepted within a few weeks of my interview, but I've heard of people from last year's class who interviewed in October and received their acceptance in March, so it's definitely not linear.

Exactly, I found out the person who presented my application after my acceptance because they emailed me directly! Might be up to the person who is presenting your application when they want to present it, contributing to the non-linear way.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been not-so-patiently waiting since September :( I've kind of figured they passed over my application and I'm gonna be wait listed or rejected come March

I've been not-so-patiently waiting since September :( I've kind of figured they passed over my application and I'm gonna be wait listed or rejected come March

If you interviewed for purch, nobody was accepted yet to my knowledge! Maybe contact them and find out when you can expect to hear?

What type of grading curriculum does umass have, and is there any type of ranking (internal or external?)

What type of grading curriculum does umass have, and is there any type of ranking (internal or external?)

I was told no rankings, internal or external. And it's actual P/F the first 2 years, no high pass or anything.

@Austinj did they just change the way they grade student. their website says that pre-clinical years are graded based on this scale. Honors, Near Honors, Satisfactory, Marginal, Unsatisfactory or Incomplete. I'm not familiar with the school since i am OOS but if they change the policy to give out pass no pass, i would definitely go here if I'm accepted.
http://www.umassmed.edu/som/academic-programs/policies-procedures/