2016-2017 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Interview - not scheduled yet" with a lock symbol is gone from my application now... guessing no interview in the foreseeable future? or is everyone like this now?

Mine seems to be gone as well...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Mine as well..it used to say "application is ready" w/ also the locked "interview not scheduled yet". Just noticed the switch this afternoon to "application is ready" only. Hope this is a good thing?!

+4

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where I can find UACOM-P's match list? Haven't been able to find the formal list and there's also no information on MSAR. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
+5. They also just emailed me saying I need to take physiology by June because the course that I had doesn't count for it. Maybe that's a good sign...? Because if they didn't like my app, wouldn't they just reject me instead of going through the trouble? This is messing with me big time haha

Members don't see this ad :)
+5. They also just emailed me saying I need to take physiology by June because the course that I had doesn't count for it. Maybe that's a good sign...? Because if they didn't like my app, wouldn't they just reject me instead of going through the trouble? This is messing with me big time haha

Sounds like a good sign! Did your locked "interview not scheduled yet" disappear from your status yesterday or today? And do you now only have the "application is ready" green check?

Sounds like a good sign! Did your locked "interview not scheduled yet" disappear from your status yesterday or today? And do you now only have the "application is ready" green check?
Yup! I no longer have that. I didn't check the portal yesterday but today I do not have it.

I'm wayyyyyyyy OOS so hoping that this means I'll get an interview because it's legitimately my dream school.

I had the lock and info Tuesday, it disappeared Wednesday mid-day and I emailed admissions around 5pm at work. They got back to me today in the AM. I proposed the email as a "is there a system glitch" or if I was missing something with my application since it was there prior.

However, the response is side stepping the question and basically generic. I have no idea if this helps anyone but thought I should at least offer this bit of insight :)

Thank you for contacting us.

If invited to an interview, you will receive an email and when you log into your student portal an interview tab will become available with a calendar to select a day to interview. The Admissions Committee does not have a set time on when they send out invites to interview, hopefully you will hear from them soon.

Let us know if this helps.

Best,

Can anyone who has received an II comment on the lock disappearing on their page prior to the notice? Or those who got a rejection for that matter?
I would like to know this as well if anyone has insight !

I would like to know this as well if anyone has insight !

I received an update email this morning. This settles the mystery about the lock and line disappearing.

Hello XXXXXXXXXXXXX,

Yes, we took the Interview line away. It is not an indication of an interview or rejection. Honestly, we removed it because a lot of applicants were confused by it – they thought they had gotten an interview when they hadn’t. I apologize for any confusion, wish you all the best.

Thank you,
Liz

Admissions and Recruitment

UA College of Medicine – Phoenix

Phone: 602-827-2005

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am reading the conversations and apologize that there has been some confusion out there. Let me see if I can help on in a few areas.

The Interview Lock:

upload_2016-10-21_15-38-13.png

upload_2016-10-21_15-39-11.png

As you can see, we previously had this "lock" (1st screen shot) that was on your site and people were calling to see how they could get the element "unlocked" as if they would then be invited for an interview. However, the lock was only removed when we invited candidates. So we thought it would be best to remove the lock (2nd screen shot) and candidates will only see the "Interview" category when invited to interview.

Time between Applying and hearing from COM-P:

This is where no news can be good news! We review applications as they come in and let know candidates know when we have unfortunate news that we are not moving forward with their application. Now, with that said, if your application has been with us for awhile that could mean several factors. We could be waiting for all materials to come in, asking you for further clarifications, or holding your application as we continue to measure your candidacy against other applicants. If we decide to move on - we would forward you an email with our decision. So, again, no news could be good news!

Next Update for those that Interviewed:

• For those that interviewed on October 3rd, you will be hearing from us on October 31st!
  • For those that interviewed on October 17th, you will be hearing from us on November 14th!
  • For those that interview on October 31st, you will be hearing from us on November 23rd!
I hope this information helps!

Great luck moving forward...

Dr. Fogerty

Reactions: 6 users
Just got an II here yesterday! In-state applicant, 3.8/509. So excited to finally hear back from UA-Phx. I submitted my secondary in early July!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless they plan on inviting more people than in previous cycles, the mdadmissions tracker seems to indicate that they have given out ~80% of their total interview invites thus far this cycle. I'm OOS with very strong ties to AZ and I'd love to be able to return home for med school, but perhaps it's not meant to be :(.

Unless they plan on inviting more people than in previous cycles, the mdadmissions tracker seems to indicate that they have given out ~80% of their total interview invites thus far this cycle. I'm OOS with very strong ties to AZ and I'd love to be able to return home for med school, but perhaps it's not meant to be :(.
Way OOS with no ties. Still my dream school though. Slowly losing hope...

Can anyone who was complete mid-September comment on their status? I saw that they already gave out most of their interviews and I'm starting to sweat.

Can anyone who was complete mid-September comment on their status? I saw that they already gave out most of their interviews and I'm starting to sweat.

I was complete first week of august and haven't heard anything.

I also have been complete since mid-september and have not heard anything. I am a re-applicant, applying for the third time. Hopeful for an interview...best of luck to you! This is a wonderful school.

I also have been complete since mid-september and have not heard anything. I am a re-applicant, applying for the third time. Hopeful for an interview...best of luck to you! This is a wonderful school.

I'm also a re-applicant, second time. I've heard they are tough on re-applicants, but really hoping for an II! Hope we both get good news!

II today!!!!

reapplicant, OOS, ORM, LM ~65, under review early August.

So, looking at the local hotels, they are pretty pricey. I've stayed with a student host before, but would prefer a hotel this time around. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

So, looking at the local hotels, they are pretty pricey. I've stayed with a student host before, but would prefer a hotel this time around. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

I am from phoenix, born and raised (live here currently after 6 years out East). You have a couple options depending on how you wish to get to the school (uber, car, light-rail -if you aren't from a city with a subway type deal, I wouldn't bother with it, just stick to easy = uber) and how close you want to be to the campus. Note, traffic in the AM in heavy because it is downtown and off a major freeway and there is a partial road block on 7th street, which is the street adjacent to the medical school. So plan accordingly to be there early! Download the WAZE app to look at time it will take that AM when you want to leave for the interview!

1. Stay near the airport
2. Stay uptown in Biltmore area
3. Stay direct downtown (most expensive)

Check out these area codes for hotels: 85012, 85013, 85014, 85016, 85008

Hotel recs across the board (prices will range $50-$140)
1. The Clarendon Hotel and Spa
- you can take the light rail super easily and be at the campus in < 20 minutes (light rail obeys the traffic lights = more time) but uber will have you there in <10

2. Days Inn Airport
- nothing fancy at all

3. Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix Airport
-decent

4. Crown Plaza Phoenix Airport
-nice

5. Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport
-nice but most expensive on this list

6. Rodeway Inn Downtown Phoenix
-it is alright

7. Wyndham Garden Phoenix Midtown
-nice and well priced

Congrats and Good luck!

So I was emailed last week by them telling me I need to take Physiology in order to be offered admission. Is it wrong to take this as a sign that they MIGHT interview me? I already registered for the class next semester. I'm taking any sign I can get from them at this point :(

Thanks @hophophop !!! Very helpful and much appreciated!

@joshkep812 I had another school email me about a course that later rejected me pre-II. I think the only thing you can take out of them asking about that course is that they are reviewing your file. :nailbiting:

So I was emailed last week by them telling me I need to take Physiology in order to be offered admission. Is it wrong to take this as a sign that they MIGHT interview me? I already registered for the class next semester. I'm taking any sign I can get from them at this point :(

I would take it as a decent sign at least! I haven't taken physiology and they never emailed me.....so it may mean that they are interested at least!

I would take it as a decent sign at least! I haven't taken physiology and they never emailed me.....so it may mean that they are interested at least!
You may have taken another course that satisfied the requirement so don't worry either!

If anyone has any questions on the Pathway's Scholars program feel free to PM me or tag me in a comment. I'm a current student and happy to answer any questions I can!

does anyone know how the parking works for interview day?

There's really specific info included with the invite info.
There's a small metered parking lot in front of the building. There's also a big parking garage on site.
If you're hurting for money, you can park at the children's museum which I think is free.
thank you!!

Would really love to get that acceptance phone call tomorrow! Anyone who has already been accepted, about what time did you receive your phone call? I'm going to be going crazy waiting all day....

Good luck to those waiting for acceptance calls! Just hoping for an II email this week :(

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

I will try to get to all of your questions since the last time I posted but that will probably happen later today or tomorrow. The reason for the delay is that we have 33 more candidates on campus today for our 6th (out of 10) applicant visit days (AVD). Well, it will really be 12 applicant visit days as we will have two later in the year for our Pathways Scholar Program. In any event, here is how I would like to tackle today. I will welcome our AVD candidates at 8 am. I will then head over to our rater room and train the 30 raters we have on campus on how to conduct the Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI). By this time most of the raters have already completed an MMI but we always have new people so everyone joins in to support the newest raters. I will then head to my office and "attempt" to make all of the acceptance calls between 9-11 am. We have 14 acceptance calls to make today. We will also be sending out some hold notices (that is still a good thing) and, unfortunately, a few decline emails.

I will do my best to post once all the acceptance calls have been made so everyone will not have to wait too long today. However - with our AVD - I am juggling a bit here today. Bottom line, I will do my best to inform everyone as soon as possible!

I hope this game plan helps everyone as we move forward through the day.

GREAT LUCK ~

Dr. Fogerty

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

I will try to get to all of your questions since the last time I posted but that will probably happen later today or tomorrow. The reason for the delay is that we have 33 more candidates on campus today for our 6th (out of 10) applicant visit days (AVD). Well, it will really be 12 applicant visit days as we will have two later in the year for our Pathways Scholar Program. In any event, here is how I would like to tackle today. I will welcome our AVD candidates at 8 am. I will then head over to our rater room and train the 30 raters we have on campus on how to conduct the Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI). By this time most of the raters have already completed an MMI but we always have new people so everyone joins in to support the newest raters. I will then head to my office and "attempt" to make all of the acceptance calls between 9-11 am. We have 14 acceptance calls to make today. We will also be sending out some hold notices (that is still a good thing) and, unfortunately, a few decline emails.

I will do my best to post once all the acceptance calls have been made so everyone will not have to wait too long today. However - with our AVD - I am juggling a bit here today. Bottom line, I will do my best to inform everyone as soon as possible!

I hope this game plan helps everyone as we move forward through the day.

GREAT LUCK ~

Dr. Fogerty.

Hi Dr. Fogerty,
I was just wondering if you could tell me if interview invites are going out every day, or if they are sent on specific days of the week.
Sincerely,
A very hopeful applicant :)

Reactions: 3 users
Still on hold and hopeful. Got the update today~! It's nice to get the news early. haha.

Last edited:
Got the hold status today... pretty bummed not gonna lie! I wonder how many students that matriculate end up coming off their waitlist?

Hi all,

We made our 14 acceptance calls today! That makes 47 total. We had some really excited students and I am starting to see the class takes it shape.

If you are still on hold - I know the wait is difficult. For our process, you can come off of this list any time the Admissions Committee reviews applications. The next date you could hear from us is November 14th.

As for those that received the denied email, we know these are hard moments. We truly appreciate you applying to our medical school. Our hope is that you do get an offer from another school and - if not - that you are able to strengthen your application over the next few months and reapply to us next year. As a note of encouragement - of our 47 accepted students this year - 28% of the students have previously applied to our medical school. I believe that is a truly strong percentage of the class and should be looked as a positive if you do not get the news you wish to hear this admission cycle.

I will take a look back and attempt to respond to other questions but any of you are welcome to reach out to our admissions team directly to get your questions answered. We can be reached at 602.827.2005 or [email protected].

All my best,

Dr. Fogerty

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected today. No worries, I've been accepted to a couple of others. Not sure why they didn't just reject on the 17th but whatever.

Congrats to the accepted!

Feeling bruised? Nice deflection.

I feel fine, as I said I am already in medical school so whatever happens from here out is kind of whatever. I genuinely do not understand the purpose of "deferring" my app on the 17th only to reject it on the 31st, but I'm also not that upset. Sorry you are still hoping to get in somewhere. I hope condescending anonymous comments offered you some stress relief.

Last edited:
Congratulations to those who were accepted!

I feel fine, as I said I am already in medical school so whatever happens from here out is kind of whatever. I genuinely do not understand the purpose of "deferring" my app on the 17th only to reject it on the 31st, but I'm also not that upset. Sorry you are still hoping to get in somewhere. I hope condescending anonymous comments offered you some stress relief.

Don't let him bother you. His comment was very uncalled for.

Maybe you were re-reviewed with the rest of the interviewees from a later interview date? In any case, congrats on your other acceptances and best of luck to you =)

Don't let him bother you. His comment was very uncalled for.

Maybe you were re-reviewed with the rest of the interviewees from a later interview date? In any case, congrats on your other acceptances and best of luck to you =)

Yeah I'm sure that was it. Oh well. Best of luck to you as well, and congrats on your acceptance(s)!

Was anyone else emailed stating they needed to take a course or anything like that? I said that I would be taking the course I needed next semester and they said I would "be hearing from them this week." No idea what it means. A little scared haha

Was anyone else emailed stating they needed to take a course or anything like that? I said that I would be taking the course I needed next semester and they said I would "be hearing from them this week." No idea what it means. A little scared haha
I got an email like that a week ago about a non-science requirement I had gotten AP credit for that they didn't see. I called and we sorted it out but they didn't mention anything about when I would hear back....that's been my only communication from them since submitting my secondary which really sucks as they're my first choice and I'm an AZ resident

Does anyone have any insight on that? I figured it was a good thing since it seems pretty useless to make sure someone has all the requirements if they're not interested and/or planning on rejecting you.

I got an email like that a week ago about a non-science requirement I had gotten AP credit for that they didn't see. I called and we sorted it out but they didn't mention anything about when I would hear back....that's been my only communication from them since submitting my secondary which really sucks as they're my first choice and I'm an AZ resident

Does anyone have any insight on that? I figured it was a good thing since it seems pretty useless to make sure someone has all the requirements if they're not interested and/or planning on rejecting you.
That's literally exactly what I was thinking. PM me!

@joshkep812 @HA1

I received a coursework clarification earlier this year before receiving an II, but I also received the same verification last year and didn't receive an II.

I think it's a routine part of their screening process, but it might be a second screening? I hear that the application is reviewed multiple times before an II is offered, so it's possible last year I made it through a first or second round but didn't cut it the third round. this is pure speculation though!

@joshkep812 @HA1

I received a coursework clarification earlier this year before receiving an II, but I also received the same verification last year and didn't receive an II.

I think it's a routine part of their screening process, but it might be a second screening? I hear that the application is reviewed multiple times before an II is offered, so it's possible last year I made it through a first or second round but didn't cut it the third round. this is pure speculation though!
Thanks for the input! And congrats on the interview and acceptances! I would be ecstatic to receive an II here because it's my dream school and my MCAT is slightly below average (LizzyM is ~62-64). I know that I've made it through a few rounds of pre-II rejections but I don't know what to expect from here on haha

Thanks for the input! And congrats on the interview and acceptances! I would be ecstatic to receive an II here because it's my dream school and my MCAT is slightly below average (LizzyM is ~62-64). I know that I've made it through a few rounds of pre-II rejections but I don't know what to expect from here on haha

thank you! my stats are pretty low and I was (and still am honestly) kinda shocked I received an II here. hang in there and best of luck!!