2016-2017 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nervously waiting for the call...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted via phone call this morning!! Interviewed 11/21 Best start ever to 2017!
Congrats! Do you know whether the calls are made alphabetically? I'm so nervous and anxious waiting!

Has anyone gotten an email today yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Do you know whether the calls are made alphabetically? I'm so nervous and anxious waiting!

Thanks! I'm not sure if they are made alphabetically, but my last name is more towards the middle and I got a call quite early. Good luck to you!!

Has anyone gotten an email today yet?

I haven't gotten an email nor a call. I wonder if they are through their call list or still making them. It's so hard to focus at work today lol :/

Last edited:
I haven't gotten an email nor a call. I wonder if they are through their call list or still making them. It's so hard to focus at work today lol :/
I'm starting to fear the worst, as I have yet to hear anything either. I really hope they are just taking a while and have my fingers crossed for the best outcome. :/

Eh, I just got a rejection email :(. Gl to the rest of you guys.

Still on that hold train. *toot toot* :poke:

Reactions: 1 users
Still on that hold train. *toot toot* :poke:

Me too. I wonder how many people are on hold right now and how many have already been accepted. I hate to imagine what our chances are now this late in the cycle.

Are you in state or OOS?

Interview 11/21, got the hold email today. I will anxiously await Feb 6th!

Last edited:
Me too. I wonder how many people are on hold right now and how many have already been accepted. I hate to imagine what our chances are now this late in the cycle.

Are you in state or OOS?

Also on hold since November; I'm IS. Just got to keep staying positive and praying! At my interview, Dr. Fogerty told us that he had already seen people move from hold to accepted, so it's definitely still possible :D

Also on hold since November; I'm IS. Just got to keep staying positive and praying! At my interview, Dr. Fogerty told us that he had already seen people move from hold to accepted, so it's definitely still possible :D
I was on hold multiple times before getting accepted in December, so don't let a hold status discourage you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Thank you to everyone for your continued interest in the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix.

We were able to make 15 acceptance decisions this past Admissions Committee meeting and I was able to connect with these candidates yesterday. Three of the fifteen had interview days back in August! I mention this as our Admissions Committee continues to work hard deliberating on
all candidates ~ those that have remained on hold and recent reviews ~ as we head toward the end of this review season.

Moreover, I have seen that some of our out-of-state candidates worry about our in-state versus out-of-state ratio. I wanted to note that 11 of the 15 decisions yesterday were to out-of-state candidates. It is true when the dust settles our class traditionally ends up around a 80/20 split with Arizona residents leading the way but a notable amount of offers to out-of-state candidates are made every year.

We have two more decision dates for this admissions cycle - February 6th and 20th. Hopefully good news will be heading your way!

Continued good luck...

Dr. Fogerty

Reactions: 5 users
If anyone has any questions on the Pathway's Scholars program feel free to PM me or tag me in a comment. I'm a current student and happy to answer any questions I can!
Hi! I am applying to the Pathway Scholars program and I and interviewing soon. Do you have any advice on how to prepare for the interview?

Hey, everyone! Are there any stats available about UACOM Phoenix's post interview acceptance rates or typically how many acceptances they give out (OOS and IS) to fill the entering class? I was looking at some of the numbers on US News and World Report and noticed that UofA Phoenix did not have any entries so I figured someone on here might have more insight on this. Thank you!

Hey, everyone! Are there any stats available about UACOM Phoenix's post interview acceptance rates or typically how many acceptances they give out (OOS and IS) to fill the entering class? I was looking at some of the numbers on US News and World Report and noticed that UofA Phoenix did not have any entries so I figured someone on here might have more insight on this. Thank you!

I believe the information was on MSAR when I was applying.

I believe the information was on MSAR when I was applying.

Thanks for the response! I've seen their numbers on matriculants from both MSAR and UACOM Phoenix's own site but not anything about total acceptances. Just wanted to know if there was a ballpark figure on how many acceptances (IS and OOS) they typically send out to fill the 80 seats.

Any advice about what type of clinical experiences are valued by this school? Hoping to receive advice from those either accepted or students who are familiar with what the school values. Thanks!

Thanks for the response! I've seen their numbers on matriculants from both MSAR and UACOM Phoenix's own site but not anything about total acceptances. Just wanted to know if there was a ballpark figure on how many acceptances (IS and OOS) they typically send out to fill the 80 seats.

I want to say that in past years its been around 120. I believe the exact number was actually posted in the thread by admissions in past years threads. I don't know how current that number is or if it changes from year to year. That's excellent question for Dr. Fogerty.

For those of you guys who got the acceptance phone call, around what time of day do they usually call?
I know there will be another round of phone calls tomorrow, and it's an incredibly busy day for me so i don't want to miss it. Im nervous as hell.

So nervous about tomorrow, hold status on 1/10, fingers crossed for all of us on hold/waiting to hear back!

Moreover, I have seen that some of our out-of-state candidates worry about our in-state versus out-of-state ratio. I wanted to note that 11 of the 15 decisions yesterday were to out-of-state candidates. It is true when the dust settles our class traditionally ends up around a 80/20 split with Arizona residents leading the way but a notable amount of offers to out-of-state candidates are made every year..

We have two more decision dates for this admissions cycle - February 6th and 20th. Hopefully good news will be heading your way!.

Dr. Fogerty,

Would you be able to provide any additional information about how many expected or typical acceptance offers are made by UACOM Phx (IS and OOS)?

Good luck to all who are waiting for updates today and congrats to those who get the acceptance call!

Hold email again today :/ 14 more days...

Is it all over next time or is there a wait list?
I believe that is it for notices and then anything after that is if they need to fill the class for people declining acceptances. I doubt there will be many of those.

Hi all,

I was able to make seventeen acceptance calls today! For those that received a call...congratulations! For those that received an email placing you or continuing your hold status...do just that...hold tight! And for those that didn't get a positive result today...we wish you the best as you explore your other options.

On a related topic, I wanted to provide a response to one of the questions above regarding in state versus out-of-state. The question was toward whether we knew the split we would have between the two populations. The quick answer is 'no'. Our Arizona Board of Regents requires us to have 50% of our class from the state of Arizona. This has never been a challenge for us simply based on the number of applications we receive each year from our in state population and how competitive these candidates are year in and year out. The remainder of our application pool, of course, is from out-of-state applicants. The final "split" is really up to the competitiveness of our applicants and how our Admissions Committee views their "fit" for our culture. Whether we have one year with a 80/20 split and the next year a 60/40 split is truly up to those that apply.

Finally, we have one more round of acceptance calls to make on Monday, February 20th! At that time we will also be asking candidates to join our Alternate (Wait) List. We will be sharing more information via email on the 20th on this topic so please be on the lookout for the communication.

Thank you,

Dr. Fogerty

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

I was able to make seventeen acceptance calls today! For those that received a call...congratulations! For those that received an email placing you or continuing your hold status...do just that...hold tight! And for those that didn't get a positive result today...we wish you the best as you explore your other options.

On a related topic, I wanted to provide a response to one of the questions above regarding in state versus out-of-state. The question was toward whether we knew the split we would have between the two populations. The quick answer is 'no'. Our Arizona Board of Regents requires us to have 50% of our class from the state of Arizona. This has never been a challenge for us simply based on the number of applications we receive each year from our in state population and how competitive these candidates are year in and year out. The remainder of our application pool, of course, is from out-of-state applicants. The final "split" is really up to the competitiveness of our applicants and how our Admissions Committee views their "fit" for our culture. Whether we have one year with a 80/20 split and the next year a 60/40 split is truly up to those that apply.

Finally, we have one more round of acceptance calls to make on Monday, February 20th! At that time we will also be asking candidates to join our Alternate (Wait) List. We will be sharing more information via email on the 20th on this topic so please be on the lookout for the communication.

Thank you,

Dr. Fogerty.
Thank you Dr. Fogerty!

Fingers crossed for February 20th!!

Anyone have the current count on how many students have been accepted so far

@bio53858 My guess is that they are at around 100-110 so far based on posts made here and what Dr. Fogerty told us on the interview day

I know it's still early in February, but are there any updates on the accreditation process? Just curious to see if anything has been decided or if there is a date scheduled for a final decision

I know it's still early in February, but are there any updates on the accreditation process? Just curious to see if anything has been decided or if there is a date scheduled for a final decision

We have a site visit this month by the LCME but everything is prepared and ready to go for them. They'll meet and I believe a final answer comes this summer. I don't force any problems like last time. Last time, we literally just signed the deal with Banner during their visit and not all of the questions they were asking actually had answers yet. Their concerns were met and we were moved along in the process. Nothing like that is happening now so I don't see anything stalling the process.

Hi all,

Our Dean of the medical school sent a communication today regarding our upcoming LCME site visit. I thought his words would be better than mine so I attached the message below.

I believe this help many of you feel more comfortable in where we are as a medical school and showing we are on track for our site visit at the end of the month.

Enjoy...

Dr. Fogerty

February 2017

Efforts Continue Toward Preparation for LCME Site Visit

We continue to prepare for the Liaison Committee of Medical Education (LCME) Full Accreditation Site visit to our campus.

The visit on February 26–March 1, will be the culmination of many hours of hard work, lengthy discussions and diligent planning; each of which have built a strong foundation for the upcoming visit, and none of which should go without recognition. This visit marks a significant milestone in our College history. Click here to review Accreditation FAQ’s.

A significant step for our campus was the LCME “mock visit” held on January 17 and 18, 2017. We had four prestigious and experienced professionals conduct the review: Kevin Dorsey, MD, dean for 14 years at Southern Illinois University, John F. Mahoney, MD, associate dean of medical education, University of Pittsburgh, along with two consultants from Price Waterhouse Coopers. This team read all of our documents and met with many representatives of the College, utilizing the schedule and decorum that the actual site visitors will follow.

Each day, they shared specific suggestions regarding individual topics and prepared a written summary to help us fine-tune our final steps.

Overall, it was an incredibly productive experience for all involved. The reviewers provided critical insights into what the LCME expects during the site visit, as well as specific suggestions on what we could improve upon. Most importantly, they boosted our confidence by noting our many strengths, offered responses to prior concerns and highlighted the incredible culture and commitment that they witnessed during their visit.

The groups who will be representing aspects of our College during the LCME visit will be completing additional sessions in the next month to further prepare, and we will continue to keep you informed about that process through the LCME STAT.

One note: Medical schools seeking accreditation more often than not receive citations, which are designed to identify areas for improvement and targeted growth. Though seemingly discouraging, citations allow colleges to continue to refine each and every aspect of their academic portfolio.

Seeking full accreditation as a medical school is an effort that truly takes a village. After years of preparation, we are only weeks away. You have all contributed in a meaningful way, and for that the leadership team of the College is incredibly grateful.

Sincerely,

Kenneth S. Ramos, MD, PhD
Interim Dean, College of Medicine – Phoenix
Associate Vice President for Precision Health Sciences

Here beginnith the last day. From last year's thread, I gather that at the end of today there will be a minimum of 40 people on the wait list.

Last edited:
Here beginnith the last day. From last year's thread, I gather that at the end of today there will be a minimum of 40 people on the wait list.

Accepted! Interviewed in September!

Last edited:
Accepted! Super shocked and grateful I made it through this far. Very thankful!! Got the call around 8 AM

EDIT: Removed the rest for anonymity

Last edited:
So I'm guessing that's it for phone calls?

I talked to someone who got in last year. They got their call at 6.
Well that gives me back a small 1/8th of an ounce of hope! Thank you for sharing that info! :)

Last edited:
Well that gives me back a small 1/8th of an ounce of hope! Thank you for sharing that info! :)
But I think all the calls have been in the morning this year :( I'm in the same boat but thinking it's time to just wait for an email

True. I assumed they meant that this last round of acceptance calls lasts longer than all the previous ones. We'll just wait and see.

EDIT: well I'm on the alternate list to my top choice now. Better than a rejection I guess. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users