2016-2017 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thank you! my stats are pretty low and I was (and still am honestly) kinda shocked I received an II here. hang in there and best of luck!!

Hi Gamieg, what's "pretty low"? If you don't mind sharing...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Gamieg, what's "pretty low"? If you don't mind sharing...

not at all!

nontraditional student, two years of postbac (3.9 GPA), ~3.0 uGPA, 504 MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
II at 5:17 AM this morning...I always assumed interview invites would come during business hours, but I stand corrected guys, so guess we will be checking those emails at wee hours of the morning too!

OOS from a neighboring state, re-applicant, complete 8/29. I am so grateful to receive this invite because it is such a great school in an awesome city, and I really would love to be close to home! They only offered me one date, not sure if this is generally true, but a heads up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II at 5:17 AM this morning...I always assumed interview invites would come during business hours, but I stand corrected guys, so guess we will be checking those emails at wee hours of the morning too!

OOS from a neighboring state, re-applicant, complete 8/29. I am so grateful to receive this invite because it is such a great school in an awesome city, and I really would love to be close to home! They only offered me one date, not sure if this is generally true, but a heads up!
Congratulations on the interview invite! And thank you for letting us know. Looks like I am going to be checking my emails throughout the night now too :laugh:

II! Complete in August, so excited!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the rejection email :,(

Rejected :/ re applicant, on hold at tucson (though doesn't mean much)

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless they plan on inviting more people than in previous cycles, the mdadmissions tracker seems to indicate that they have given out ~80% of their total interview invites thus far this cycle. I'm OOS with very strong ties to AZ and I'd love to be able to return home for med school, but perhaps it's not meant to be :(.

(Quoting self) I just got an II this morning, super hyped!! I think this is a good example of why to not lose hope at getting IIs, even when they have already given out most :)!! I was also offered a single day to sign up, as well, but it happens to be the week of Thanksgiving which lines up really conveniently with me visiting my family and AZ friends :). Super excited, I'd love to have an opportunity to attend med school in my home state!!

LizzyM ~71, in case anyone's curious.

Does anyone know when UA Phoenix will receive its full accreditation? I've read reports of early to mid-2017. Will that be before or after the national reply date?

Does anyone know when UA Phoenix will receive its full accreditation? I've read reports of early to mid-2017. Will that be before or after the national reply date?
I think they said the final review was scheduled for February during my interview day.

Still waiting! No news for me yet. Hopefully soon!

Should we be worried? I've been hearing mixed reactions.
I don't think there's a need to be. They said the news has been about the switch ups in administration. A bunch of people left to go to a new medical school in Texas, I believe, so the old dean took a lot of people with him/her, as one would do when starting from scratch. They've already graduated doctors, and they've matched to some good places, so they obviously know what they're doing. The accrediting team is just dotting their I's and crossing their T's.

Did you interview? They explained everything to us during the day and I felt very reassured.

And I enter the post-interview hold group for a third time....just hanging out here y'all.

Any tips for the MMI? I know there's not much you can do to prepare but any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Completed Late August, still haven't heard a word yet, should I be worried?

Does anyone know if they're receptive to in the area emails? I'm from the east coast and might be going to AZ over winter break.

Last edited:
I am thankful Dr. Fogerty keeps us all up to date on the admissions process so far. I'm still holding out hope for an interview, Good luck to everyone!

If anyone can help with this question I would really appreciate it.

What classes will count for the biology requirements?

My schools general bio classes are 1: Organismal Biology and Evolution; 2: Cell Biology and Animal Physiology

Then I also have upper division Human Physiology.

Will I need an additional biology class with Gen bio 2 and upper division physio counting towards the same requirement?

Thank you!

Just received my II today! I cant believe it!!

Hi everyone, I'm interviewing tomorrow and suddenly very nervous. I haven't done the MMI type interview yet. I understand that everyone has said be yourself and go with the flow, but for those of you who have interviewed, is there anything you wish you would've known before the MMI portion? My biggest worry is any MMIs that involve "acting" or "role-playing" because I am generally on the shy side and do not do well in that kind of setting :/

Hi everyone, I'm interviewing tomorrow and suddenly very nervous. I haven't done the MMI type interview yet. I understand that everyone has said be yourself and go with the flow, but for those of you who have interviewed, is there anything you wish you would've known before the MMI portion? My biggest worry is any MMIs that involve "acting" or "role-playing" because I am generally on the shy side and do not do well in that kind of setting :/

I had done one MMI before my Phoenix interview, but I still don't think that helped since each MMI is different. After it was all over, I couldn't think of anything I could have done beforehand to "prepare". Just stay calm and respond truthfully to the prompts. If you can comfortably hold a conversation with another person, you'll do fine. I can't say if there is or isn't an "acting" station, but I've practiced such scenarios and it's easier to imagine it as a real situation. Immerse yourself in the scenario and act accordingly. If you think too much about how awkward it might be, you're shooting yourself in the foot before it even starts.

Stay calm and have fun! MMI's really are pretty fun since they are interactive and I actually prefer them now! Good luck!

Accepted 10/31! :)

congratulations!!

wow that's early, I thought Dr. Fogerty mentioned they would get back to the 10/31 group on 11/23.

Just got an interview today!! Scheduled for Dec. 5th - only day open it seems! Complete 9/27, OOS. So pumped :banana:

Hi all,

Some great conversations going on.

Thank you to everyone that jumps in there and helps other candidates understand our processes, console those that do not get good news, ease the tensions for those that have to the wait for decisions, or celebrate with those that are accepted. Well done!

To give you a quick update on our upcoming decision timeline:

• If you interviewed on October 31st - you will hear a decision TOMORROW!
  • If you interviewed on November 7th - you will hear a decision December 19th.
  • If you interviewed on November 21st (yesterday) - you will hear a decision January 9th.
As for invitations to interview, we still have approximately 40 invites to extend. With this in mind, I wish you the best as we review our last applications this season and compare to those applications not yet rendered a decision that were submitted earlier in the cycle.

One other topic I wanted to comment on today was the accreditation question - The Liaison Committee of Medical Education (LCME) Accreditation is a process of quality assurance for medical schools that determines whether an institution or program meets established standards for structure and function. The accreditation process also fosters institutional and program improvement. It is with pride that we prepare for our final accreditation visit in February 2017. All medical schools go through visits for “preliminary” (prior to accepting the first class), “provisional” (as the first class is entering into clerkships), and then “final” accreditation (around the time that the first class is completing all four years). As for UA College of Medicine - Phoenix, we are exactly where we wish to be and that is on track for our final accreditation visit early next year. Here is a quick overview of our path as a medical school:

• 1974 - Phoenix Clerkships. Phoenix-area medical students at the UA College of Medicine (Tucson) were taking required clerkship's in internal medicine, pediatrics, neurology, obstetrics and gynecology and family practice, as well as clinical electives in the Phoenix area.
  • 1992 - Formal Program. A Phoenix program was formally established, allowing third and fourth year UA medical students to complete rotations at affiliated hospitals in our Valley of the Sun.
  • 2004 - Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR) Approval. Our Arizona Board of Regents approved an agreement to expand the operations of the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix to a four-year program.
  • 2007 - Doors Open. The UA College of Medicine - Phoenix opened its doors as a four-year branch campus, admitting its first class of students. The inaugural class had 24 students.
  • 2012 - Separate Accreditation. The UA College of Medicine - Phoenix became a separately accredited medical school in this year, and as such, admitted its first class of students in July 2013. The medical school now accepts 80 students per year.
  • 2017 - Final Accreditation Visit. Our final accreditation visit takes place in February of next year. On track. On time.
To learn more, please visit our website phoenixmed.arizona.edu/lcme for more information about the process. Additional information can be found on the LCME website about obtaining accreditation at: http://lcme.org/about/accreditation-process-overview/.

I hope this information helps everyone.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all...

Dr. Fogerty

Reactions: 6 users