2016-2017 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just saw alternate email

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the alternate list email... a little disappointed but it's better than a rejection I guess!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who got the call! Hopefully, I'll be around to meet some of you at second look. If you have any questions and want a student perspective, please let me know. Just be patient with me because I'm rounding out my third year with my last rotation.

Does anyone have insight into where first / second years typically end up staying or reccomendations on where to live? Ive been looking at places all over the valley and would love some more info to possibly narrow down the areas / apartments

Hi all,

What a couple of busy weeks in our admissions office and at our medical school!

Last week we held our final deliberation meeting with our Admissions Committee, determined our last 15 accepted students, approved our alternate list, and contacted everyone. If accepted - congratulations! We look forward to welcoming you to campus. If asked to be on the Alternate List - please keep considering us! We purposefully accepted less individuals than the prior year with a goal to move into this list. With that, the Admissions Committee worked diligently to ensure all candidates on the Alternate List would be strong fits for us both academically and culturally. And, if denied, we hope you found an acceptance at another medical school that is a strong fit for you. If not, stay focused on your goals...strengthen your application...and plan on next year being your year!

As for this week, our entire campus, clinical partners, and community were focused on our LCME visit for full accreditation. Below is the announcement released last night regarding the visit. To say the least, we could not be more pleased with the words of encouragement from our site visit team on how far our campus has come in the last 10 years. Moreover, Dr. Leigh Neumayer, our Senior VP for Health Sciences, noted that the most difficult step in the LCME process is achieving preliminary accreditation (which we have already reached) and that all medical schools that have completed that first step have advanced to full accreditation. This fact, along with our strong site visit, should help many of you that have had questions on the accreditation process.

Contact our Admissions Office at 602.827.2005 or [email protected] if you have any further questions. I will also attempt to keep those on our Alternate List up to date.

All my best,

Dr. Fogerty

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
is there a gym affiliated with the school that's free to students/included in tuition or do students usually buy a membership to a gym somewhere in the area?

I think it falls under non-fee paying affiliates which is 125 a semester for asu gym access. This includes free access for spouse/live in partner.

I do not know what the case is for UoA, but I know ASU uses the downtown YMCA as the gym for students. If ASU and UoA medical school share a gym, then it's downtown YMCA (which is walking distance from both).

Is Phoenix true pass/fail without internal rankings for the first two years? I looked online and I found information about grading that just included pass and fail, but I wanted to check.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is Phoenix true pass/fail without internal rankings for the first two years? I looked online and I found information about grading that just included pass and fail, but I wanted to check.

True pass/fail with no internal ranking the first two years.

You do have honors/high pass/ pass/ fail in the third and fourth year but still no internal ranking

Reactions: 1 users
True pass/fail with no internal ranking the first two years.

You do have honors/high pass/ pass/ fail in the third and fourth year but still no internal ranking
Awesome, thanks! So no internal ranking in any years= no AOA, correct?

Anyone know when waitlist movement, if any, starts?

I wonder if we'll get an update about waitlist info today....

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how re-applicants are evaluated here? Are our past applications compared or are we evaluated as a "fresh" candidate (with the knowledge that you've applied before)?

Last year numerous people posted that they were withdrawing their acceptance. I do not think I have seen a single one so far...

Last year numerous people posted that they were withdrawing their acceptance. I do not think I have seen a single one so far...

And the facebook group is 81 + 3 admins. Not looking too good for us....

And the facebook group is 81 + 3 admins. Not looking too good for us....
Not to sound discouraging, but the three admins are accepted students. Everyone not part of the class of 2021 has left the group.

Hi Guys!

So for reapplicants.....my understanding is that being a reapplicant isn't a black mark on your application when its viewed. You'll be up against whatever pool of applicants are applying next year.

However, what I would suggest is making sure that you are continuing to do your activities as well as anything that could improve your application. You want to show that you're committed and you should want to strengthen your application as well.

Strengthening your application can mean many things. For some its a better MCAT score. For others it could be re-writing their personal statement or activities section. So this is a very general statement that you should have someone (not me) look at your application and give you feed back. I'd suggest your pre-med advisor at your school could be your main resource.

For those who interviewed, it could be your interviewing skills. That can be mediated by doing mock MMIs if your program offers that. You can practice infront of a mirror as well. Practice with a friend and get feedback.

Hello! I'm looking to applying this cycle and am wondering if University of Arizona is worth applying to if you are out of state.

Hello! I'm looking to applying this cycle and am wondering if University of Arizona is worth applying to if you are out of state.

The best answer I can give you comes straight from Dr. Fogerty himself:

I have seen that some of our out-of-state candidates worry about our in-state versus out-of-state ratio. I wanted to note that 11 of the 15 decisions yesterday were to out-of-state candidates. It is true when the dust settles our class traditionally ends up around a 80/20 split with Arizona residents leading the way but a notable amount of offers to out-of-state candidates are made every year..

We have two more decision dates for this admissions cycle - February 6th and 20th. Hopefully good news will be heading your way!.

Continued good luck....

Dr. Fogerty.

If you drive to the school from an apartment further from campus, is it hard to find parking available in the PBC structure? Also how is traffic around the area

For future readers of this thread:
Since getting placed on the waitlist, received notification this morning that the class was full and that possible acceptances could go out up until the orientation. The lucky ones will only have a few days to make their decision though.

Hello, folks. I have a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condo I am selling in St. Croix Villas (100 E Fillmore St, ~0.4 mi from UACOM). Message me if you're interested and want some details. It will officially go on the market in two weeks.

hello! is it worth applying to University of Arizona when you're out of state? Thank you!

hello! is it worth applying to University of Arizona when you're out of state? Thank you!

Yup there are quite a few students from OOS in the class of 2021!