2016-2017 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected. OOS. Complete late July. Not surprised since they favor IS so much, and I can't say I've ever even visited AZ. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED via phone call this morning! interviewed 10/31.
oh my god this feels so surreal. it has been such a memorable year.

happy thanksgiving everyone!!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats guys! I have some time off for the holiday so if you have any questions please let me know. I'm a current third year.

Hi there! I was wondering if you could speak a little about your rotation experience. Since the school doesn't have a hospital directly next to it, you guys seem to have 9 places to rotate to. How does that work for students? Does this mean you need a car to get around? Do you feel disconnected from your classmates once 3rd year starts? Also should any incoming M1s be worried about Mayo Clinic no longer being a rotation site since the Scottsdale campus is opening next year? Thanks!

Hi there! I was wondering if you could speak a little about your rotation experience. Since the school doesn't have a hospital directly next to it, you guys seem to have 9 places to rotate to. How does that work for students? Does this mean you need a car to get around? Do you feel disconnected from your classmates once 3rd year starts? Also should any incoming M1s be worried about Mayo Clinic no longer being a rotation site since the Scottsdale campus is opening next year? Thanks!

Hi there!
I've really liked my experience during third year. Its actually really nice to be able to go to different hospitals and see different patient populations. Thats actually a reason that this school drew me to it. How it works is that you put in preferences for tracks in second year and sites are randomly decided. You can put in a preference for your surgical subspecialties keeping in mind your interests and which would be farther away and you can put in for your family medicine sites. Other than that its pretty random but it hasn't been awful. I kinda feel disconnected at times but we're put in cohorts so we see the same people on our rotations which is nice because you build a pretty strong bond with them. I still see my classmates on campus for didactics so its not like I never see them. We also have intersession blocks in the middle of their year, beginning of fourth year and i believe at the end as well where we all see each other as a class.
I wouldn't be worried about the Mayo Clinic. I actually don't know anyone who has rotated there as a third year. We can do fourth year sub Is there but I'm unaware if we do anything third year there. I wouldn't worry about it as an incoming MS1.

Is this school not listed in the rankings on U.S. News and World Report because it hasn't yet received its final accreditation?

Still under review with 40 interviews left to be sent out. This wait is killing me :(

Rejected, LM 69, complete 9/13, OOS.
Good luck to everyone still waiting for news!

Is this school not listed in the rankings on U.S. News and World Report because it hasn't yet received its final accreditation?

Well there are schools that actually don't participate in the US news and world report as well.

I can't say for sure if that is the answer to your question but its a something that happens.

Last edited:
Got a rejection from this school and an II from another school all within a couple hours! Circle of life I guess! Lol. Good luck guys!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@BamaNicole thanks for always being so helpful on this thread!

could you elaborate on how UA - Phoenix helps students in terms of board prep, specifically for step 1? I believe this was covered during the interview day and with our student ambassadors, but I forget the exact details. if I remember correctly, there is designated study time set aside in the second year, but what sorts of resources does the school provide and when can they be accessed (and I think they're included in the tuition, is that right?)?

Hi @gamieg !

So you get basically the entire month of February off to study. I'm gonna tell you from my experience, however, just remember that this could be modified by the time the class of 2020 reaches that point.

I had classes until the end of January and I took my final block exam then had a week of prep for and to take my OSCE. I had the entire month of February off to study and I took mine right at the beginning of March. Some people used their OSCE week as added prep. So really you can have 4-5 weeks on average of dedicated study time. We had to take it by the end of the first week of March.

We did receive some help with Step 1 which was a kaplan question bank. We received it actually October of our first year. I used it during some blocks as a way to prepare for my block exams. Some people saved it for second year as a way to review. It all depends on how you want to prepare. That's what was provided for us. Other people chose to use other resources as well such as sketchy micro, firecracker, etc. You'll learn more about that at a resources fair held during first and second year. You'll feel it out and figure out what will work for you.

pre-interview rejection last week: IS and complete early august.

Good luck yall!

Does anyone know if UACOM-Phoenix accepts LOI post-interview if you're on hold?

They do not accept any LOI pre-interview. Once your file is complete upon secondary submission, it is complete. The only "update" comes from clarification of any courses you may be missing / defining a course again with them.

They do not accept any LOI pre-interview. Once your file is complete upon secondary submission, it is complete. The only "update" comes from clarification of any courses you may be missing / defining a course again with them.
post-interview, not pre-interview. Also, they actually did accept an update from me pre-Interview. Tucson didn't.

They told us at my interview to get any update in as soon as we could because the Advil would be meeting soon. So I would think that means they accept updates.
Great. Did you interview recently?

I say, give them a call :) for peace of mind. I was told no pre-interview and it seems some say both and others post interview.

For those of you that have completed an interview, were you allowed to take notes for the MMI?

For those of you that have completed an interview, were you allowed to take notes for the MMI?

nope, you aren't allowed to bring anything with you

Does anyone know if UA Phoenix requires the new Mcat for the upcoming admissions cycle (2017)?

Does anyone know if UA Phoenix requires the new Mcat for the upcoming admissions cycle (2017)?
The AAMC shows for the 2017 cycle that they prefer the new MCAT, but will take either. However, I think you're referring to the 2018 cycle since we're in the 2017 cycle [for the 2018 cycle they require the new MCAT]. The year connected with the cycle corresponds to the year you will start medical school if accepted. Here's a link from AAMC about which tests are accepted by each school: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...b166-43396de8daaa/mcat_policies_june_2016.pdf

Hope this helps!

The AAMC shows for the 2017 cycle that they prefer the new MCAT, but will take either. However, I think you're referring to the 2018 cycle since we're in the 2017 cycle [for the 2018 cycle they require the new MCAT]. The year connected with the cycle corresponds to the year you will start medical school if accepted. Here's a link from AAMC about which tests are accepted by each school: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...b166-43396de8daaa/mcat_policies_june_2016.pdf

Hope this helps!
That is extremely helpful--thanks!

And yes, I will be applying this upcoming summer, so I mistakenly thought it was the 2017 cycle instead of 2018.

Accepted today! IS. One of the nicest phone calls I've gotten from a school. Completely mirrored the feeling I got from the staff on interview day. :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Just got the post-interview hold. Since I'm OOS, I'm surprised at how far I've gotten here! Interviewed 11/7

Reactions: 3 users
They said in the phone call that they send out a packet via snail mail, but did anyone who got accepted also get an email and/or portal update?

They said in the phone call that they send out a packet via snail mail, but did anyone who got accepted also get an email and/or portal update?

yes! both email and portal update

I got accepted today via phone call and have not seen an email or portal update yet.

Accepted today! Phone call from Dr. Fogerty around mid-morning. I can't stop smiling!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for the positive posts that we have received on our thread throughout the admission cycle. The collegiality and collaborative environment we have seen on our discussion board is exactly what we strive to achieve on our campus. Even those candidates that haven't received the news they wanted from our medical school have stayed positive and have wished everyone the best as they move to their other opportunities. Again, for that, thank you!

We are in the midst of sending out our final notices on whether candidates would be invited to interview this week. We can close this part of the admission cycle out as we completed our final Applicant Visit Day yesterday. We ended up offering interviews to 348 candidates this season for our 80 seats. The candidates we invited have been terrific and candidates we had to pass on did an excellent job making our decisions most difficult.

Our goal now is to finish our Admissions Committee meetings and extend our offers by the end of February. I wish everyone still in our decision process the best of luck moving forward!

And to all - Happy Holidays!

Dr. Fogerty

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone been able to find a match list for UA-Phx? I've seen a few places some people have matched, but a fuller picture would be great to have.

Accepted via phone call this morning!! Interviewed 11/21 Best start ever to 2017!

Reactions: 5 users