2016-2017 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

I am Dr. Glen T. Fogerty, and have the pleasure of serving as the Interim Assistant Dean of Admissions and Recruitment for the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix (UA COM-P). I am also the co-block director for our first medical school course – Introduction to Medicine.

You could consider me rather new to UA COM-P as I am approaching my six month mark at the medical school. Prior appointments have included Arizona State University where I worked in MBA admissions, Dean of Admissions at Arizona Summit Law School, and Dean of Graduate Programs at Northwestern University. I earned my PhD at Arizona State University (yes, for UA students I came from the dark side), held faculty appointments at Arizona State and Northwestern, and in the process of applying for a faculty role here.

I am writing you today as a way of introduction for those applicants who haven’t made it to campus since my arrival. I would also like to join this electronic conversation a few times a week as we move through this admissions cycle. Hopefully I will be able to provide you some behind the scenes details and let you know of upcoming announcements and events. To get started – we have held four Applicant Visit Days (AVD) to date where we hosted 132 candidates. We will have, in total, ten AVD’s and, when completed, interviewed 330 candidates for our 80 seats. We have also held three Admission Committee meetings to date and I will have the pleasure of calling 33 ACCEPTED STUDENTS this coming Monday, October 17th! It will be an exciting day as we begin to shape the Class of 2021. This day also sees our applications closing for the year and we will be hosting another interview day – to say the least – we will have a busy Monday!

As we move forward, you are welcome to post questions here or reach out to our amazing staff that makes up our Admissions & Recruitment team. Our email address is [email protected] or you can call us at 602.827.2005. I look forward to the ongoing conversation…

Dr. Fogerty

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone,

I am Dr. Glen T. Fogerty, and have the pleasure of serving as the Interim Assistant Dean of Admissions and Recruitment for the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix (UA COM-P). I am also the co-block director for our first medical school course – Introduction to Medicine.

You could consider me rather new to UA COM-P as I am approaching my six month mark at the medical school. Prior appointments have included Arizona State University where I worked in MBA admissions, Dean of Admissions at Arizona Summit Law School, and Dean of Graduate Programs at Northwestern University. I earned my PhD at Arizona State University (yes, for UA students I came from the dark side), held faculty appointments at Arizona State and Northwestern, and in the process of applying for a faculty role here.

I am writing you today as a way of introduction for those applicants who haven’t made it to campus since my arrival. I would also like to join this electronic conversation a few times a week as we move through this admissions cycle. Hopefully I will be able to provide you some behind the scenes details and let you know of upcoming announcements and events. To get started – we have held four Applicant Visit Days (AVD) to date where we hosted 132 candidates. We will have, in total, ten AVD’s and, when completed, interviewed 330 candidates for our 80 seats. We have also held three Admission Committee meetings to date and I will have the pleasure of calling 33 ACCEPTED STUDENTS this coming Monday, October 17th! It will be an exciting day as we begin to shape the Class of 2021. This day also sees our applications closing for the year and we will be hosting another interview day – to say the least – we will have a busy Monday!

As we move forward, you are welcome to post questions here or reach out to our amazing staff that makes up our Admissions & Recruitment team. Our email address is [email protected] or you can call us at 602.827.2005. I look forward to the ongoing conversation…

Dr. Fogerty

Dr. Fogerty! I'm glad to see this post from you. I have just one question for you. For those who may potentially get the call of a life time on Monday, is there a date range that this includes? For example, of those 33 that you mentioned, does this include interview dates from late August through September? Just wondering. Thank you for your post!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to answer the question(may not be answered before Monday), after interviewing in the fourth AVD, I was informed that the acceptance calls on Oct 17th are from the first three interview days (All before October). Fourth round interview calls will be on Oct 31st. Based on the numbers above they selected 11 per AVD(by average). Happy Halloween for me I'm hoping =) Best of luck to everyone applying that is on this thread!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Please call me. :D

Also - I hate time zones!

Reactions: 1 users
what happens if you're at work and you can't answer the call? @_@

All Quiet on the Western Front.... No one's heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there's an applicant visit day today, so I'm guessing we won't hear anything til after 3.

:(

Keeping my app "under consideration" for now.
Same here. Now I'll be freaking out on Halloween to hear something lol Come on Phoenix, love me like I love you! Please.....

Last edited:
Rejected. Best of luck to the rest of y'all. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Post-Interview rejection. Interviewed 8/28. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Gonna go ahead and hop on the rejection train. Good luck everyone else!

Accepted. Dr. Fogerty is a delightful gentleman.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted as well. Interview 8/22 IS. Anyone else get the call but not the email yet?

Reactions: 3 users
I believe the email comes tomorrow. And congratulations.

Yep, that's what Dr. Fogerty told me as well. Congrats to the both of you!

For me, interview 9/12 OOS

Hi all -

Yes, quite the busy day as we had 33 more candidates on campus for our 5th Applicant Visit Day and - as you know - this was the first day we could contact applicants about our decisions!

We were able to make 33 acceptance calls today! This was for those that interviewed August 22nd, 29th, and September 12th. It was great sharing the news with these candidates as we realize the years of work each of you put into a culminating moment like today.

We also placed 18 candidates on a hold status - which isn't a bad thing - as the Admissions Committee is continuing to consider these applicants as we move through our system. I have already seen a few candidates that were held earlier in our process but have now moved to an accepted status. So do not lose hope!

Finally, we unfortunately declined 47 applicants today. This is always a tough part of our job. However, a silver lining if anyone does receive the difficult news - 9 of the 33 acceptances we made today were people that previously applied! So, again, do not lose hope! This only means today is not your day and who knows what the future holds.

All my best,

Dr. Fogerty

Reactions: 10 users
I just got a hold from Tucson, but nada from Phoenix. :(

Does your status just say Application is ready? I've had that status for over a month now and wondering if that's the only status in between secondary submission and II.

Does your status just say Application is ready? I've had that status for over a month now and wondering if that's the only status in between secondary submission and II.
Same boat, if it's any consolation. "Application is ready" since late July. OOS

I've had that status for over 2 months now. And last year, that was the only status between secondary submission and II for me!

I've had that status for over 2 months now. And last year, that was the only status between secondary submission and II for me!

Glad I'm not the only one. Hope we get some love soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's going to be a long wait until October 31st, but I have my fingers crossed.

The "application is ready" status if I remember correctly means that your application is under review. No news here is good news.

Does that mean you can have that status until end of interview session or do they do rejections along the way?

Still desperately waiting for an interview

Reactions: 2 users
The Interview - not scheduled yet" with a lock symbol is gone from my application now... guessing no interview in the foreseeable future? or is everyone like this now?

The Interview - not scheduled yet" with a lock symbol is gone from my application now... guessing no interview in the foreseeable future? or is everyone like this now?

Mine seems to be gone as well...

Mine seems to be gone as well...

Mine as well..it used to say "application is ready" w/ also the locked "interview not scheduled yet". Just noticed the switch this afternoon to "application is ready" only. Hope this is a good thing?!

Can anyone who has received an II comment on the lock disappearing on their page prior to the notice? Or those who got a rejection for that matter?

Last edited:
Mine as well..it used to say "application is ready" w/ also the locked "interview not scheduled yet". Just noticed the switch this afternoon to "application is ready" only. Hope this is a good thing?!
Same here...

If this means anything, I guess we will know in the next few days..:unsure: