2016-2017 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Literally because 99% of my life is on my application, I put that last 1% of my life that was not in my application lol

Is it like a quality or trait that we can write about?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it like a quality or trait that we can write about?
I put in there that my research was featured in a recruitment video for the university, and what the experience of making the video was like/how it helped me improve my speaking skills. They interviewed me but I had to use short enough answers for sound bites while still being informative but not using language that the average incoming freshman wouldn't understand. It was challenging, but helpful in inproving my communication skills, and I also told them how that will assist me as a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eyo does anyone see a date other than September 12 for the interview? Does that mean we only have 1 date to choose from?

Eyo does anyone see a date other than September 12 for the interview? Does that mean we only have 1 date to choose from?

I had august 26th and september 12th, but that was some time ago. Its really early in the cycle so they might not have a lot of options now.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be like UA-Tucson, where other dates don't show up until slots for the first day showing are filled. Their admissions office is very nice if you just want to call them to confirm.

Also, incase anyone has an interview coming up, the day is really fun and everyone is amazing.

Reactions: 2 users
It might be like UA-Tucson, where other dates don't show up until slots for the first day showing are filled. Their admissions office is very nice if you just want to call them to confirm.

Also, incase anyone has an interview coming up, the day is really fun and everyone is amazing.

would you mind sharing more about what the interviews are like?? This is my first MMI :eek:

would you mind sharing more about what the interviews are like?? This is my first MMI :eek:
We can't tell you what they were (so you guys have the same experience as we had, etc), but I would just be prepared for questions that make you think. Sounds very vague I know. It was my first MMI too and it was really fun.

It is set up like any other MMI with the same varieties of questions you might see elsewhere. You have 10 stations with 2 mins to read a prompt and 7 mins to answer the prompt whether that's by acting out a scenario, having a discussion on a topic, or some that I hadn't even heard of from people who give advice on MMIs. It's all a very creative process that lends itself to allowing you and your interviewer to learn a lot about who you are in a short period of time. You get breaks so you're not being grilled for hours, where you can hang out, talk to each other, use the bathroom, or get some water.

Just remember that everyone there is just trying to get to know more about you in an interesting way, and isn't looking for a "right" answer. They're looking to see how you think, whether or not you fit into the culture, and how you do in situations that you couldn't prepare for. Just be calm and excited and you'll do great. You still have time to ask your interviewers about themselves if you work it into your answer to the prompt, just like in a traditional interview. I would also review your essays for examples or information that you might want to emphasize or bring up if a certain topic allows it.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview! LizzyM ~70; way out of state.
I noticed you interviewed with my group at Vermont on Saturday. I did the Phoenix interview last week, and thought both faculty groups were extremely friendly and made the process pretty enjoyable at both schools. But, as you'll see, the difference between the cities of Burlington and Phoenix is pretty darn dramatic. Good luck.

I noticed you interviewed with my group at Vermont on Saturday. I did the Phoenix interview last week, and thought both faculty groups were extremely friendly and made the process pretty enjoyable at both schools. But, as you'll see, the difference between the cities of Burlington and Phoenix is pretty darn dramatic. Good luck.

I suspected that these two schools will be pretty similar for some reason. I am much more into hot weather than cold though :cool:

Good luck to you!

Does anyone know if the "simulation center experience" is just a tour/demonstration or if we are expected to actually do something there?

Does anyone know if the "simulation center experience" is just a tour/demonstration or if we are expected to actually do something there?
You get to try out some of the sim equipment, and get demonstrations of what the mannequins can do. It's really cool.

You get to try out some of the sim equipment, and get demonstrations of what the mannequins can do. It's really cool.

That does sound cool!

So that sounds like its more of a thing for us to do and see, but not a thing we are evaluated on for admissions decisions (doing something spectacularly stupid notwithstanding). Is that right?

That does sound cool!

So that sounds like its more of a thing for us to do and see, but not a thing we are evaluated on for admissions decisions (doing something spectacularly stupid notwithstanding). Is that right?
Definitely not evaluated hahah only thing you need to worry about is the interview. Nothing else it's about admissions, is just about you getting to see what the school is about and the opportunities available. Super low stress.

That does sound cool!

They actually said that we weren't being evaluated anymore after the interview. Of course, if you're disrespectful after that you'll look very bad, so just act like you normally would and have fun.

anyone who is also a reapplicant-did you also have trouble with these two questions:
1. I am a stronger applicant this year because:
2. I feel that the last 12-18 months have confirmed my desire to pursue a career in medicine because:

not really sure how to write different responses for these two

anyone who is also a reapplicant-did you also have trouble with these two questions:
1. I am a stronger applicant this year because:
2. I feel that the last 12-18 months have confirmed my desire to pursue a career in medicine because:

not really sure how to write different responses for these two

My answers for these two questions were very similar, except for the first I focused on the relevance of what I had been doing the last year and tied that into the second on how those experiences reaffirmed my passion for medicine and desire to become a physician. I ended up getting a II so they must not have been terrible answers.

My answers for these two questions were very similar, except for the first I focused on the relevance of what I had been doing the last year and tied that into the second on how those experiences reaffirmed my passion for medicine and desire to become a physician. I ended up getting a II so they must not have been terrible answers.

Thanks for your feedback!! Congrats by the way! Are you IS?

Hey applicants! I'm a current MS2 and would be happy to answer any questions! Good luck!

What are some of your favorite and least favorite aspects of the school? Also, there is a question asking how we would fit into the culture of the school. I guess I don't really know what the culture is like there because I live in Colorado. Any advice with this? Hope you're having a blast in school!

What are some of your favorite and least favorite aspects of the school? Also, there is a question asking how we would fit into the culture of the school. I guess I don't really know what the culture is like there because I live in Colorado. Any advice with this? Hope you're having a blast in school!
You can get a pretty good idea about the culture from the website and their mission, I think. For me, they seemed to value collaboration in medicine very highly, and that can mean many things. For the sake of anonymity, I'm not going to go into specifics on my secondary, but that is one value I feel was expressed strongly on their website. Talking about how collaboration is important in medicine and in general may be a good start (obviously using your own experiences to show you value it as well).

What really hit me was how they value how they interact with and learn from their diverse community in Phoenix, as well as each other. That's what I connected with in my secondary and on interview day. I didn't know that before I checked out their website though. It's very well set up and a great resource, so just hunt around. They make it very easy for you to see what they're about. See if anything hits you that will allow you to convey how your passions align with and can grow theirs.

Hello!

I just submitted my AMCAS and am waiting for my MCAT score.
I'm hoping to get an invitation to submit a secondary so I came to look for the prompts and get ahead.

Good luck everyone!!

on msar it shows that only 13 OOS matriculated, do you guys think they accept more than those 13? i'm applying OOS but i feel like its a long shot

on msar it shows that only 13 OOS matriculated, do you guys think they accept more than those 13? i'm applying OOS but i feel like its a long shot

I want to say like 30% of my class is OOS. The make up of the class has to be at least 50% instate but for the past few years its been around 70-30. Its not a long shot though.

Is it alright to wear jeans to the meet and greet on Sunday night, or should we be slightly more dressed up?

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! I'll be the orange cat in the grey suit.

Rejected from here today. Good luck everyone!

Rejected today pre II. Complete 07/28. IS. Pretty bummed and shocked honestly :(

This was my favorite interview so far. I would love to get in!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when their school year starts in June?