2016-2017 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Take a look at the website and get a feel for what our student culture is like....see what is offered or what seems to be important.

Do you feel connected to any of it? That's how you write to demonstrate you fit in

Do you think it's a good idea to highlight one major aspect of the school's culture and then use an experience that demonstrates why it is important to me?

For example, if I enjoy how the school emphasizes close relations of medical communities, would it be too narrow to highlight an experience of me bringing the medical community to work together on a common goal? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think it's a good idea to highlight one major aspect of the school's culture and then use an experience that demonstrates why it is important to me?

For example, if I enjoy how the school emphasizes close relations of medical communities, would it be too narrow to highlight an experience of me bringing the medical community to work together on a common goal? Thanks!

that's a hard question to answer because it depends on how you answer it. If you are too vague then its too narrow but if you're able to hone in on specifics it wouldn't be. When I wrote my secondary essay, I believe i picked two aspects but I don't know how your word count has changed.

Does everyone's status say "Interview - not scheduled yet" with a lock symbol? Is this just their way of saying that they are reviewing the app and would either put Rejected or Invited there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone else who has not taken a course entitled "physiology"? I think I am going to list my neurobiology course for that. MY General Biology 2 course also went into human A+P.

Seconded on the physiology question. One of my general biology classes was mammalian/plant physiology. More emphasis on animal physiology though.

Would this fly or do I need a pure human/mammal physiology class?

Seconded on the physiology question. One of my general biology classes was mammalian/plant physiology. More emphasis on animal physiology though.

Would this fly or do I need a pure human/mammal physiology class?

I emailed their admissions email and they got back pretty fast to me. And judging off last years thread when Tara was active, there were a variety of courses that were accepted for this requirement. Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up listing my Bio 2 course under physiology, and then I also included my neurobiology course as an upper level bio. Should be good enough.

You can always contact the admissions office to see if the class would qualify for the physiology requirement.

Easy way to tell....if its pure mammalian physiology you should be okay. If you had anatomy and physiology, then that counts.

Anyone else having trouble paying the application fee? Been trying to submit since this afternoon :(

edit: Finally got it to work =/ good luck everyone!

Also, does anyone know the importance of the clinical LOR? How is that clinical letter defined?

Last edited:
Is anyone here reapplying? Still waiting on the secondary but I'm beginning to pre-write essays and I was wondering if there is a reapplicant essay like UA - Tucson?

Is anyone here reapplying? Still waiting on the secondary but I'm beginning to pre-write essays and I was wondering if there is a reapplicant essay like UA - Tucson?
Yup. Question is "I am a stronger applicant this year because: (350 words max)"

Interview invites should be coming soon - wonder if AZ residents will get first grab?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, where in the world is the photo upload button? I've tried both Safari and Google Chrome and I feel like maybe I'm just losing my mind...

Not there. Bad programming, lol.

Oh good, so it's not just me. Are you also having issues with the other pages of the site, too? I can't even type in the essay question boxes. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

For the physio requirement I also used my Bio 2 given that the course title and content revolved around mammalian physiology

Does anyone know if UAZ might be receptive to an in the area email? I got an interview at Mayo and it's fairly expensive to fly out to Phoenix.

In the past, they haven't been. I'm not sure if that's still true.

Hm, thanks. Though this is the first year there is actually another school in the Phoenix area. I probably won't send it though - don't want to be perceived as presumptuous or anything.

II just now!!! IS, complete 7/12. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
II here too! IS, completed 7/14.

@WikiJiki I'm a third year here. I'd be more than happy to answer questions if people are patient with me getting back to them.
Hey! I'm an applicant from Oklahoma and I am looking to go to this school! However, I was also interested in the Tucson campus so, I by mistake, sent the AMCAS-Primary to both campuses. Does this mean I will not be considered at all? I just saw on the UofA medicine website that "Make sure to designate the specific college you wish to attend." I'm kinda nervous that this might just ruin the game for me. Please give me your input.

Hey! I'm an applicant from Oklahoma and I am looking to go to this school! However, I was also interested in the Tucson campus so, I by mistake, sent the AMCAS-Primary to both campuses. Does this mean I will not be considered at all? I just saw on the UofA medicine website that "Make sure to designate the specific college you wish to attend." I'm kinda nervous that this might just ruin the game for me. Please give me your input.

So many people apply to both. They are different schools, different cultures, different curricula, etc., so applying to one doesn't hurt your chances of getting into another. UA Tucson doesn't know that you have applied to UA Phx.

Reactions: 1 users

I don't think it makes a difference with the primary. I believe they just mean if you wish to attend one over the other make sure that you send your primary to that specific campus. If you wish to be considered by both, then you send your primary to both. You'd then submit a secondary to each school once invited to do so.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay so I just got too excited I think.. Looked on my portal and it has an interview status and just says not scheduled… Does it say that for everyone once you have completed you secondary or….?

Can a student comment on the Board of Regrnts investigation hearing tomorrow? Why is the school being investigated? I thought things settled down after the dean left?

Could anyone comment on how UA Phoenix evaluates multiple MCAT attempts? Most recent? Highest score? Thanks!

Could anyone comment on how UA Phoenix evaluates multiple MCAT attempts? Most recent? Highest score? Thanks!

I emailed them about this a few months ago. "The admissions committee will evaluate all your MCAT scores received." That's all they had to say.

Does anyone know how strictly UA-Phoenix enforces the secondary essay submission rule? Their email says 30 days but unfortunately I have exceeded that timeline by a few days (for reasons semi out of my control). I am very interested in their program so trying to decide if its still okay to submit. Would really appreciate your insight on this. Thanks!

Does anyone know how strictly UA-Phoenix enforces the secondary essay submission rule? Their email says 30 days but unfortunately I have exceeded that timeline by a few days (for reasons semi out of my control). I am very interested in their program so trying to decide if its still okay to submit. Would really appreciate your insight on this. Thanks!
I'd say, submit it anyways. Then, call admin office to ask. Who knows, it might not even be noticed that you took longer than the recommended days.

Geez. It's all quiet on the western front. I realize the difficulty the schools face, but I wish this whole process had some transparency. Such as each school giving some notice of when to expect a round of II's are being sent out. But anyway, how's life treating everyone?

I feel that the Admissions Committee should know this about me (note: do not repeat any aspect of your primary application or essays provided above): (required, 350 words max)

any advice on what they're looking for in this question? not really sure what to write

I feel that the Admissions Committee should know this about me (note: do not repeat any aspect of your primary application or essays provided above): (required, 350 words max)

any advice on what they're looking for in this question? not really sure what to write

Literally because 99% of my life is on my application, I put that last 1% of my life that was not in my application lol