2016-2017 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 . I have a friend who got an II recently too since being complete in August.

Members don't see this ad.

I received an II for Tulane a while ago but could only schedule it for early Feb (next Friday actually)
During that wait period, I interviewed at and was accepted into the Loyola Stritch School of Medicine
Can anyone speak to the strengths of Tulane and the benefits of choosing to stick with vs. cancel my interview? (strength of program, patient population, cost of attendance/financial aid)

I received an II for Tulane a while ago but could only schedule it for early Feb (next Friday actually)
During that wait period, I interviewed at and was accepted into the Loyola Stritch School of Medicine
Can anyone speak to the strengths of Tulane and the benefits of choosing to stick with vs. cancel my interview? (strength of program, patient population, cost of attendance/financial aid)
First off, Congratulations!
From what I saw at my interview...
Pros:
-Over 20 student run clinics, mostly working with underserved populations. Many oppritunites for leadership.
-Students seemed to have a good work/life balance
-P/F courses
-New Hospital and VA Hospital to work in
-Cost of living isn't too bad in NOLA
-NOLA is a cool city
Cons:
-Expensive tuition ~58k/year
-From what I've heard, they don't give out many scholarships
-The student I stayed with said everything was so relaxed that, at times, they weren't emailed about a required meeting until a few hours beforehand
-NOLA has a pretty high violent crime rate, but so does the area surrounding Chicago...

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pros:
-Over 20 student run clinics, mostly working with underserved populations. Many oppritunites for leadership.
-P/F courses
-NOLA is a cool city
Cons:
-The student I stayed with said everything was so relaxed that, at times, they weren't emailed about a required meeting until a few hours beforehand
-NOLA has a pretty high violent crime rate, but so does the area surrounding Chicago...
Is it really 20 student run clinics?? I thought someone said it was 20 but then I doubted myself and now I only think there are 8 lol.

Is it really 20 student run clinics?? I thought someone said it was 20 but then I doubted myself and now I only think there are 8 lol.

During the interview they said they had 22 clinics....

Reactions: 1 user
That awkward moment when you've been complete for over 6 months...

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today! Interviewed three weeks ago

Reactions: 6 users
Hmm so I just got a rejection email, but I never completed a secondary application? I also wrote to withdraw my app back in August after submitting only my primary to Tulane. Cool. Guess the feeling was mutual.

Hmm so I just got a rejection email, but I never completed a secondary application? I also wrote to withdraw my app back in August after submitting only my primary to Tulane. Cool. Guess the feeling was mutual.

They probably just wanted to be clear about who broke up with who lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Pros:
-P/F courses
-NOLA is a cool city
Cons:

Regarding the tuition, is 58k/year considered expensive? I was looking on MSAR at the tuition of the schools I was considering, and aside from the UC's (because I'm from California), they all seem to be in the high 50k range.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any accepted students gotten their immunizations form completed yet?

Have any accepted students gotten their immunizations form completed yet?

What immunization form? Was accepted back in November but I haven't gotten any immunization form yet.

What immunization form? Was accepted back in November but I haven't gotten any immunization form yet.

They didn't send it to me, but it was on their website. I wasn't sure if I should start working on it now or not, because I've seen on SDN that we should try and get them done asap.

They didn't send it to me, but it was on their website. I wasn't sure if I should start working on it now or not, because I've seen on SDN that we should try and get them done asap.

Gotcha! Gonna look into this. Thanks for the heads up!

Withdrew my acceptance earlier today. Hope it goes to one of you guys!!

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 1/20, accepted 1/31, LizzyM 67, very OOS
Yay
Good luck!

I interviewed 1/6 and still haven't heard from Tulane. With people that interviewed 2 weeks later receiving acceptances, I'm not very optimistic.

Any idea how much movement there is from the waitlist here? The person I stayed with during my interview said he didn't know of anyone who had come off the waitlist.

Any idea how much movement there is from the waitlist here? The person I stayed with during my interview said he didn't know of anyone who had come off the waitlist.
The person for my role play was from the waitlist. He stated that he sent in multiple letters of interest/updates and received an acceptance. It seems that you need to put in the work and show Tulane that you love Tulane to get in. From another post that I read, some people do not get in till summer comes along... another post stated that most the people in the class come from the waitlist.

Had a hyper realistic dream last night that Tulane accepted me....then I woke up

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted a while back at Tulane med but there is absolutely no way the the price is justifiable...I mean with living expenses and everything it's about 80 grand a year....80 GRAND....come on...

OOS Interviewed 1/20
Accepted 2/1 (but declined the offer)
Good luck to everyone else!!!! New Orleans is an awesome city!

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted a while back at Tulane med but there is absolutely no way the the price is justifiable...I mean with living expenses and everything it's about 80 grand a year....80 GRAND....come on...
What schools are you considering and what are their costs? Honest question, because I compared Tulane to other schools I interviewed at and they all essentially had the same costs, yet this thread has multiple people saying how expensive Tulane is

Reactions: 2 users
What schools are you considering and what are their costs? Honest question, because I compared Tulane to other schools I interviewed at and they all essentially had the same costs, yet this thread has multiple people saying how expensive Tulane is
So I've been comparing to the state schools that I was accepted to because for example LSU uses the same hospitals and has better facilities than Tulane so I was like come on fam...but it was around 45-50 for the entire year

So I've been comparing to the state schools that I was accepted to because for example LSU uses the same hospitals and has better facilities than Tulane so I was like come on fam...but it was around 45-50 for the entire year

I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up you already know why Tulane is more expensive than LSU.
Yes, Tulane is expensive compared to STATE schools. Yes, LSU and Tulane do use similar hospitals. LSU is obviously run by the state and receives tax dollars to supplement it so that it can have a lower tuition. No Tulane doesn't receive those same tax dollars so they must have higher tuition in order to run.

Congrats on the interview at LSU by the way. Hope you get your top pick.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Compared the schools I've interviewed at, Tulane is not outrageous. Not all of us get the fortune of being accepted in-state (WHY CALIFORNIA, WHY? :cryi:)

interviewed 1/9, accepted today!!!

Compared the schools I've interviewed at, Tulane is not outrageous. Not all of us get the fortune of being accepted in-state (WHY CALIFORNIA, WHY? :cryi:)
california man
the system there is killer
driving all us californians out

OOS Interviewed 1/20
Accepted 2/1 (but declined the offer)
Good luck to everyone else!!!! New Orleans is an awesome city!

what is your stats? IS or OOS? What are your top choices? I dream to have your slot. I am on waiting list.

Is cost of living really 25k extra lol.. damn can any current students chime in and reflect on their cost of attendance so far?

Is cost of living really 25k extra lol.. damn can any current students chime in and reflect on their cost of attendance so far?

Current student here. Cost of living is definitely not 25k, unless you're living somewhere super swanky, and are hitting the bars more than once a week/eat out all the time. I live in a two bed/2 bath apartment and we pay about $1800 a month, and that includes parking, a gym, a pool, and water trash. If you rent a house with more people, you could get down to $600 per person a month easily.

Reactions: 1 users
Officially withdrew from my other acceptances except Tulane this morning, see y'all in August!

Reactions: 7 users
Are they done with invites?
Is it a silent rejection then...

Not sure, but the last inteview date I saw anyone talk about was 2/3. Also, peope say that waitlist movement starts end of February/Early March so it would make sense if they wrapped up interviews this week or next week. Best of luck, though!