2016-2017 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 11/30, no ties to LA or Tulane, accepted just now. LizzyM ~67-68

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't heard anything back after my interview that week

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The way they send decisions out seems to be random! There were acceptances and acceptance range throughout the whole week for the other interview dates. :whistle:

Fingers crossed for you and everyone waiting! :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 12/5, but I still haven't heard back... literally dying of anxiety :hurting:

Last edited:
does tulane do silent rejections? I'm still on "in progress" pre interview

does tulane do silent rejections? I'm still on "in progress" pre interview
No, if you still have the check mark, then they are still evaluating you or waiting for a chance to invite you to interview. If the season passes and there was no chance to interview you, then you'll just get a rejection letter (and probably try early next year)

Sorry to hear :(
No worries! I was thinking of writing a letter of intent, but I found that it would be really difficult for me to move my family down to NOLA since the charter school system requires applications and proof of residency in NOLA by the end of this month.... either that or pay $10-20,000 for 3rd grade at a private school lol.

I just graduated last year and I don't understand how 1 year of elementary school could cost me more than 1 year of my undergrad.

Anyways, everything happens for a reason! There's always residency Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!!!

No worries! I was thinking of writing a letter of intent, but I found that it would be really difficult for me to move my family down to NOLA since the charter school system requires applications and proof of residency in NOLA by the end of this month.... either that or pay $10-20,000 for 3rd grade at a private school lol.

I just graduated last year and I don't understand how 1 year of elementary school could cost me more than 1 year of my undergrad.

Anyways, everything happens for a reason! There's always residency Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!!!
Yeah... Public schools here in Louisiana are below par. The state doesn't invest much into public education because most elected officials send their children to private schools. It's pretty insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the post interview acceptance rate for this school? In the past, they interviewed around 500 and 200 matriculated, so does that mean that 300-400 acceptances were given out? seems really high, can anyone clarify on this

Yeah... Public schools here in Louisiana are below par. The state doesn't invest much into public education because most elected officials send their children to private schools. It's pretty insane.
Yeah, that's unfortunate... some of the charter schools are also pretty competitive. I wonder which children are getting the lower quality education (The real question being: why no one is doing anything about it)...

For those that have been accepted and are 100% going to Tulane, has anyone looked into the housing yet? There are so many options...

For those that have been accepted and are 100% going to Tulane, has anyone looked into the housing yet? There are so many options...

There are a TON of housing options it's true. From what I heard (and I'm a NOLA native) most students, but not all, tend to gravitate towards uptown and the garden district for housing!

Reactions: 1 users
There are a TON of housing options it's true. From what I heard (and I'm a NOLA native) most students, but not all, tend to gravitate towards uptown and the garden district for housing!

Thanks! I'll look more into it

Hey guys recently accepted. But in all honestly I am appalled by the cost to attend Tulane. Is there anyway to make it better besides seeing if I can get into LSU?

Hey guys recently accepted. But in all honestly I am appalled by the cost to attend Tulane. Is there anyway to make it better besides seeing if I can get into LSU?

Are you asking for a way to make Tulane cheaper?

Acceptance range email today. :dead:
Interviewed 12/7.
Any idea if there is a good chance that acceptance range applicants lead to admission offers?

Acceptance range email today. :dead:
Interviewed 12/7.
Any idea if there is a good chance that acceptance range applicants lead to admission offers?
Both the student I stayed with and the one giving our tour got off the WL. There is hope! They both mentioned writing a few updates/letters to the school about how much they loved it there.

Both the student I stayed with and the one giving our tour got off the WL. There is hope! They both mentioned writing a few updates/letters to the school about how much they loved it there.
Thank you! I remember one of my student interviewers saying he had to send multiple updates as well. I guess not all of us are lucky with an immediate acceptance. Lol.
;)

has anybody applied and interviewed MD/MPH? is the interview any different or do you just interview for the MD program and they pick you for MPH after acceptance?

has anybody applied and interviewed MD/MPH? is the interview any different or do you just interview for the MD program and they pick you for MPH after acceptance?
I'm pretty sure you just apply MD and then anyone can add a MPH after acceptance. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm pretty sure you just apply MD and then anyone can add a MPH after acceptance. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
I believe you have to have an MCAT over 28 for the 4 year program. Not sure how the 5 year program works tho!

I still haven't gotten an Interview Invite yet, so still waiting on that. Finished secondary on 6/12 and a Canadian Student here.

Does any one know how much time Tulane's curriculum allots for Step 1 study time?

II today! (1/17). I was complete end of July. ~LizzyM 69. Non URM. Only available date was 2/3.

Reactions: 4 users
I believe on interview day they said it was about 2 months time (and that a lot of people took the exam early... didn't actually need the whole 2 months).
Do you remember how much of that is dedicated? I can't find my packet....Thanks!

By "dedicated" do you mean how much time does Tulane set aside for you to have to solely prep for Step 1? If so, I believe it is 2 months (that's what I jotted down... but it's not info they printed anywhere). Sorry, hope that helps!
Yes, thank you :)

If I want to send an update letter showing some classes I took, the research I have done since applying and my general interest in the school do I email admissions or do I upload it on the portal in the Document Upload tab?

I'll be in town this weekend for Monday's interview. PM me if you wanna hang out and explore the city!

So I have a question. I doubt anyone can answer this because who knows and the answer is probably that "it's kind of random".

I applied to Tulane w/ a LM of 74-75 and good enough ECs that I've been accepted to 7 schools. The schools I got rejected from (other than Tulane) were big time research schools, and I did not have a lot of research experience, so that was very much expected.

Believe me, I am grateful for how the cycle went, but I am just trying to understand this and maybe it will help future applicants. The one school I just cannot figure out is Tulane. Why would I get almost immediately rejected from this school with my statistics and ECs which were largely directed at serving underserved populations? Furthermore, I have parents that are alums. However, I am from the Northeast. But Tulane is private, so I thought that wouldn't matter.

Anyway, please understand that I am not complaining, bragging, or anything bad. I'm seriously just curious.

Thanks for any input!

So I have a question. I doubt anyone can answer this because who knows and the answer is probably that "it's kind of random".

I applied to Tulane w/ a LM of 74-75 and good enough ECs that I've been accepted to 7 schools. The schools I got rejected from (other than Tulane) were big time research schools, and I did not have a lot of research experience, so that was very much expected.

Believe me, I am grateful for how the cycle went, but I am just trying to understand this and maybe it will help future applicants. The one school I just cannot figure out is Tulane. Why would I get almost immediately rejected from this school with my statistics and ECs which were largely directed at serving underserved populations? Furthermore, I have parents that are alums. However, I am from the Northeast. But Tulane is private, so I thought that wouldn't matter.

Anyway, please understand that I am not complaining, bragging, or anything bad. I'm seriously just curious.

Thanks for any input!

Tulane loves the northeast so that's definitely not it. From what I can gather after interviewing there, they seem to really value unique experiences and global experiences a lot more than other schools. Public health related experiences are also a plus.
For me personally, I had a very good MCAT score and average-good GPA so maybe MCAT is more important there? Commitment to underserved populations and understanding of the New Orleans community specifically also seemed to be important.

Tulane loves the northeast so that's definitely not it. From what I can gather after interviewing there, they seem to really value unique experiences and global experiences a lot more than other schools. Public health related experiences are also a plus.
For me personally, I had a very good MCAT score and average-good GPA so maybe MCAT is more important there? Commitment to underserved populations and understanding of the New Orleans community specifically also seemed to be important.
My MCAT was my strength, if anything. I have absolutely nothing in global health, so that would make sense. I guess there's no real way to know, but I just was very curious because something really made them pull the trigger quickly on the rejection.

Then again, if I was going to get rejected, I appreciated knowing quickly! :)

Thanks for your input!

Rejected prior to II or post interview? If prior to II, perhaps they don't think you will attend their school

I still haven't been rejected or given an II...what is going on haha

EDIT: finished late july....

I still haven't been rejected or given an II...what is going on haha

EDIT: finished late july....

I was the same till last week when they gave me an II. I think they have a list of people they would want to send II to but are just waiting for spots to open. They only had one available date when I scheduled my interview.