2016-2017 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What were the opinions you've heard?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've heard various opinions about the school's reputation and quality of training. Also extended to post grad opportunities, which I know is student dependent. It's the wide range of opinions from very good to very poor that is confusing. Maybe it might have to do with people's opinion of the city. I have spoken to a residency program director, adcom member, academic physicians, and students, so I have a wide net of people from different perspectives. Not trying to be convinced about the quality of school. Just want to know why I've heard such variance. I might be the only one who has had this experience.
what other acceptances do you have besides Tulane?

Rush, Tulane, & nymc acceptances
Waiting to hear back from Slu and temple

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard various opinions about the school's reputation and quality of training. Also extended to post grad opportunities, which I know is student dependent. It's the wide range of opinions from very good to very poor that is confusing. Maybe it might have to do with people's opinion of the city. I have spoken to a residency program director, adcom member, academic physicians, and students, so I have a wide net of people from different perspectives. Not trying to be convinced about the quality of school. Just want to know why I've heard such variance. I might be the only one who has had this experience.

I've heard of only the area / opinion of the city being the only negative tbh so im just curious as to what other things have you heard that were negative. pls share

Members don't see this ad :)

I'll add another n=1 to the list. Here's where I'd put the topics you mentioned.

Things we do well:
1) Post-grad opportunities
It's hard to decipher a rank list as a med school applicant, but take a look to see where we send our people. We go all over the place to some of the best programs in the country. Our faculty also go to bat for us during application season. They will place personal phone calls on our behalf to program directors at programs we're interested in. This is not because they need to in order for us to match, but they sincerely want to find a good fit for our career goals.

2) Reputation
Tulane has been around FOREVER, meaning we have alumni all over the country. We've trained many pioneers in multiple specialties and we attract some of the biggest names in the field. Additionally, before Katrina we used to be a powerhouse in the South. We're still pretty good, but we did lose some researchers and residency spots, and it takes some time to build that back up. Overall, people outside of the South have been impressed when I mention I go to Tulane so I don't think our reputation has suffered.

Things we can definitely improve on:
1) Quality of training
This is something we could real work on, mainly because there are too many med students for such a small population. Between Tulane, LSU, and Ochsner, New Orleans is saturated with eager third years. Part of that will be relieved when the new VA opens but we're also working on developing partnerships with other hospitals in the area. On the other hand, our faculty, residents, and staff are fantastic and eager teachers. They like having med students around so we're never relegated to shadowing.

2) New Orleans
Oh, New Orleans. There are some really great parts and some really bad parts so on average, we're average. It's a fun city to live in because there's always something going on, whether it's festivals, food, sports, etc. On the other hand, we have a lot of problems with poverty and hopelessness in many of our neighborhoods. Because we're so small, you can't hide and avoid the not-so-nice parts of town. Multi-million dollar mansions will be two blocks from the worst housing and poverty this city has to offer. Many people are willing to overlook the bad because the good is so great. For others, the bad greatly outweighs the good. So you either love New Orleans or you hate it. It's definitely not for everyone.

To address your original point, I'd attribute the variance to what different people find important.

If you're looking for a research powerhouse, our reputation isn't great for that. Most departments are tiny by academic research standards so we don't have the output of the top-funded institutions. For some, reputation = research funding and volume of publications, so we're screwed in that regard.

Clinically, our residency graduates are some of the best trained in the country because of the pathology we have down here. A lot of that training trickles down to the students, but we're pretty middle-of-the-road when it comes to medical student quality of training. We have great teachers and pathology, but at some sites our census is too low. So if you're looking to be able to carry 5 patients as a med student, you'll be limited on some rotations. But if you're wanting to be involved in the care of your patient, including procedures and decision-making, then you're golden.

How you perceive our quality of education and reputation greatly depends on what you value most. Our highs are high and lows are low.

New Orleans is a love it or hate it kind of city, so I'm not surprised you've had such differing opinions on this matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I've heard of only the area / opinion of the city being the only negative tbh so im just curious as to what other things have you heard that were negative. pls share

As I said earlier, I've heard both very good and very bad things about both the reputation and quality of training...I'm not actually concerned about the quality of the school or its reputation. I'd be very happy and excited if I choose to matriculate here. My own opinion is that the school is amazing and the city is a place I'd enjoy living in. I just wanted to know why I've heard such a wide range of opinions and if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I know not to base my decision off other people's opinions, however choosing a medical school seems more difficult than I thought it'd be early on in the process.

When it comes to choosing between schools, figure out what's non-negotiable for you and find a school that fits the bill. For example, decide between pass/fail or grades, mandatory attendance or not, character of the class, near family/friends or in another part of the country, eternal winter or always summer, city v. suburb v. boonies, etc. and go from there. Then learn to deal with the rest because no school will be perfect. We're med students. We love nothing more than to complain.

I chose Tulane because of my non-negotiables and as much as this place drives me nuts sometimes* I'm still grateful I came here. My non-negotiables are what keep me sane and happy, so I'm willing to put up with everything else.

---
*Who schedules a mandatory meeting for the whole class on the morning of Mardi Gras parades and the NBA All-Star game when most roads leading to school will be (if they're aren't already) closed?

LizzyM score and Over represented in Medicine
Gotcha. Well for Tulane they are pretty strict on who they let in. All my friends who are minorites that got in had like above a 3.5 and had a 32 or above. I had a friend who also was a minority who had a 3.6 , 26 and got into LSU and not Tulane.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

Have most people who've accepted Tulane's offer of admission been added to the FB page?

Members don't see this ad :)
@The Petty Enigma If you have already accepted admission just PM one of the admins on the page and they'll add you.

Reactions: 1 user
So confused. Tulane won't reject me, or give me an II? LM 69. URM. Complete October. At this point, I'm calling it a rejection.

Does anyone know when financial aid info/awards are released?

@ Accepted Folks: for the official transcripts upload are you sending the official transcripts to yourself and manually uploading them or are you sending your official transcripts directly to Tulane?

@ Accepted Folks: for the official transcripts upload are you sending the official transcripts to yourself and manually uploading them or are you sending your official transcripts directly to Tulane?

I sent mine directly to Tulane. My undergrad had the option to send official transcripts electronically and directly to Tulane. Either works though

I sent mine directly to Tulane. My undergrad had the option to send official transcripts electronically and directly to Tulane. Either works though
This was just for students who are still in school, correct? Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything! Also, has anyone heard anything about immunizations?

This was just for students who are still in school, correct? Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything! Also, has anyone heard anything about immunizations?

No I actually graduated from undergrad a couple years ago.

has anyone received their financial aid yet? is it true that we don't need to send in a copy of our parents' tax returns

has anyone received their financial aid yet? is it true that we don't need to send in a copy of our parents' tax returns

I haven't received my financial aid yet. When I completed the addendum, the financial aid office pretty much told me to write "see FAFSA."

Does anyone know the policy on Letters of Intent? I know some schools won't accept them, and I know some schools won't take them until after April 30th. Thanks!

Withdrawing my acceptance here, I hope it goes to one of you! Good luck all!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the policy on Letters of Intent? I know some schools won't accept them, and I know some schools won't take them until after April 30th. Thanks!

I sent one in a few days after my interview and hey I guess it helped, I got in

Does anyone know when Tulane usually starts offering merit scholarships?

Choo choo! All aboard the rejection train!

Does anyone know when Tulane usually starts offering merit scholarships?

I am pretty sure you get them with your acceptance and then if you're lucky, you may get them after people drop their spots. So you may or may not get something after April 30 (when people drop). But im not too sure on this

I haven't received my financial aid yet. When I completed the addendum, the financial aid office pretty much told me to write "see FAFSA."

Are there any Tulane specific forms we are supposed to fill out? I only did the FAFSA and Tulane hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Are there any Tulane specific forms we are supposed to fill out? I only did the FAFSA and Tulane hasn't gotten back to me yet.
There is an addendum form on their financial aid website that you are supposed to complete. If you logon to Gibson, you can see what requirements you have fulfilled and what else you need to do.

Yup it does. Submitted it in the beginning of January

Perfect, same here. Thanks!

Were you guys able to login into Gibson right when they sent your username and password? Because I go to log in and it just takes me back to the home page but saying I didn't log in... (received the email a week ago) says I can check the financial aid portion in early March.

Were you guys able to login into Gibson right when they sent your username and password? Because I go to log in and it just takes me back to the home page but saying I didn't log in... (received the email a week ago) says I can check the financial aid portion in early March.
Yeah, I don't remember having trouble logging in. I haven't gotten that email though.

I called tech services about this yesterday. In the initial financial aid email, I was given a random user ID and password which they said I could use to log in to Gibson, but I was unable to do so. Apparently the ID was deactivated because I was since assigned a Tulane username, which I have been able to use to log on.