2016-2017 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What did you guys like specifically? And, any dislikes?

I loved the level of community involvement, particularly the huge number of student-run clinics. The students who were involved in them seemed very passionate about what they were doing. I also got the sense that students had a decent work/life balance, which is important to me as a non-trad who will be dragging my SO with me to medical school. I don't know if it was just southern hospitality, but everyone seemed very welcoming and excited to be in NOLA.
I also loved the feeling of the city. I think it's a great size (for reference, I live in LA which is wayyy too big for me, personally), it seemed to have good public transit, be very bike-able, friendly to local businesses, and there was literally a marching band followed by a parade of 50 people in Halloween costumes that walked down the street I was staying on (exactly what I'd expect of NOLA)!

I'd say the one thing that gave me pause was that though the school seems great at supporting students with days off after tests and student activities, it seemed that the professional support system for students who were facing specific hardships or were struggling academically was tiny. For me, this was really overshadowed by the overwhelming positive feeling I got from the school.

Edit: Tuition is also pretty pricy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What did you guys like specifically? And, any dislikes?
I agree with Fancy Feast. It was VERY involved in the community - something like *7* student run clinics, tons of volunteer opportunities (clinical and non), and the students were really nice/involved in the school/seemed happy. I personally loved my time in NOLA. It's a super unique city and I want to stay in an inner city environment. They (NOLA) also opened up two newer hospitals where Tulane students can rotate through - a VA medical center and the university medical center, and they go through simulations and standardized patients very early on in year 1 (which some of the schools i've been to don't). The school also puts on a lot of events for med students like med prom, after exam get-togethers (with an open bar tab lol) - I guess it just seemed like the school really cared for the wellness of their students.

dislikes - nothing in particular about the school. I mean, the facilities could have been nicer - like the anatomy lab is super old school/dungeon-looking and I think I would have preferred doing anatomy throughout the year vs being in anatomy lab for like 8-10 weeks, but not really "that" important.

edit: I have no idea where I got the number 22 from.

Last edited:
I agree with Fancy Feast. It was VERY involved in the community - something like 22? student run clinics, tons of volunteer opportunities (clinical and non), and the students were really nice/involved in the school/seemed happy. I personally loved my time in NOLA. It's a super unique city and I want to stay in an inner city environment. They (NOLA) also opened up two newer hospitals where Tulane students can rotate through - a VA medical center and the university medical center, and they go through simulations and standardized patients very early on in year 1 (which some of the schools i've been to don't). The school also puts on a lot of events for med students like med prom, after exam get-togethers (with an open bar tab lol) - I guess it just seemed like the school really cared for the wellness of their students.

dislikes - nothing in particular about the school. I mean, the facilities could have been nicer - like the anatomy lab is super old school/dungeon-looking and I think I would have preferred doing anatomy throughout the year vs being in anatomy lab for like 8-10 weeks, but not really "that" important.
UGGGGH, student-run clinics sound so badass. Boots on the ground helping the community. Tulane, I'm right here, send me an II!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UGGGGH, student-run clinics sound so badass. Boots on the ground helping the community. Tulane, I'm right here, send me an II!
Yesss, I thought it was pretty awesome <3
We were told (if I remember correctly) that one of the hospitals that provided a substantial amount of charity care never re-opened after Katrina, so Tulane stepped in with all the student-run clinics.

I hope you get an II!!!! Fingers Crossed for you! :xf:

I interviewed this past Friday, and I was AMAZED. Tulane was phenomenal. Everyone was genuinely happy, and they made an effort to stress the importance of mental health in their students.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Long time lurker. I've had the green check closing in on 2 months. Anyone else in the same shoes haha?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted as of 15-Dec; interviewed 18-Nov.

Reactions: 1 users
Tulane's email says their interview day is from 8AM - 2:30PM. For those who've interviewed, what time did your interview day end? I have a flight to catch at 6:55 PM the same day and I'm just hoping I can get out in time to make it to the airport.

I'm not sure about the interview time, but I live in NOLA, and I would say you should be ok making it to the airport on time due to traffic if you catch an uber after your interview ends around 3 (if you're leaving from Tulane or the CBD). Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Tulane's email says their interview day is from 8AM - 2:30PM. For those who've interviewed, what time did your interview day end? I have a flight to catch at 6:55 PM the same day and I'm just hoping I can get out in time to make it to the airport.
2:30 sounds about right. The airport isn't too far of a drive from the school, and it's a small one. You should be fine :)

I flew out around 6 after my interview.

Interviewing here in January. Planning on getting an Airbnb- which areas would you guys recommend staying at? Thank you!

I recommend the Uptown area. It's a short uber to the CBD and close to a lot of great restaurants! I'm a big fan of the Freret/ Magazine areas.

Can someone also be as kind enough to outline the interview day?

Can someone also be as kind enough to outline the interview day?
1. INTRO BY DEAN and some current students
2. patient simulation
3. 1 on one 1 interview
4. lunch and interview with student
4. tour
5. look at an old pathologist's collection of babies in jars
6. nap

1. INTRO BY DEAN and some current students
2. patient simulation
3. 1 on one 1 interview
4. lunch and interview with student
4. tour
5. look at an old pathologist's collection of babies in jars
6. nap
Do they provide the blankets during their nap evaluation or should I bring my own?

Anybody who interviewed on 12/5 hear back yet?

Also interviewed 12/5 - no decision over here yet :(
Yea the suspense is killing me!!! After Friday I said I was gonna stop refreshing my email every 10minutes.....but here I am today doing the same thing...

Yea the suspense is killing me!!! After Friday I said I was gonna stop refreshing my email every 10minutes.....but here I am today doing the same thing...
I'm just going to pretend that no Adcom member is working until January 3rd... :rolleyes:
I will be obsessively refreshing that Wednesday lol.

SDN reader here. First post woo! Accepted 12/21, interviewed 11/30 OOS

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else interviewing 1/9? I've never been to NOLA before, taking my SO with me for the weekend and very excited!

Accepted 1/2, Interviewed 12/9 OOS. Looking forward to joining this class!

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations!

But... ****, what should I read into not hearing anything yet after interviewing 11/30

Anyone else interviewing 1/9? I've never been to NOLA before, taking my SO with me for the weekend and very excited!

I posted a while back about some stuff to do in NOLA that might be helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone received any financial aid offers/scholarships?

Hey guys, A Canadian student here who applied to Tulane. Just wanted to ask how much time does it normally take to hear some kind of response from the University? I understand during the Christmas break there would have been no communication.

Interviewed 12/7 and no response today either! I was hoping to have good news. Hopefully this does not mean rejection...:eek:

Finally axed today after having the green check mark since August :( guess it was bound to happen. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Interviewed 12/5.......Accepted 1/2, OOS. Grateful and excited for this opportunity!

Reactions: 3 users