2016-2017 Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview Invite!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, guys.
I received an invite yesterday and I'm interviewing Friday. Any advice? Also, I noticed on other threads they talking about a wait list or something of that nature...is Texas tech at that point yet? Anyone knows how long do they usually take until they handout acceptance letters?

I am a bit impatient and anxious right now hahaha. Thank you so much

Hello, guys.
I received an invite yesterday and I'm interviewing Friday. Any advice? Also, I noticed on other threads they talking about a wait list or something of that nature...is Texas tech at that point yet? Anyone knows how long do they usually take until they handout acceptance letters?

They are still in the initial evaluation and offering spots to OOS applicant phase, not time for wait lists yet.

is being inducted into an honor society like phi beta kappa a worthwhile update to send in?

I am an instate applicant.
Texas applicants may be offered a spot during the "pre-match" period, Nov 15 to Dec 31. After that, a bit of time will pass while applicants rank all schools where they have interviewed and turn in their ranked list online on TMDSAS by 5 pm on January 20. Match Day, a result of the matching of ranked lists from applicants and med schools, is Feb 1 and lots more applicants will be informed of an acceptance. Some people will have had offers from more than one Texas school but after Feb 1, they will be left with their "one and only". Since you can only attend one school, this day will free up more spots and people on wait lists, holds, or who have been silently waiting may get good news over the next weeks and months. https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html
It is a long process with lots of waiting around, so it's best to focus on showing your personality in your upcoming interviews and continuing to work hard at college during the last semester. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
is being inducted into an honor society like phi beta kappa a worthwhile update to send in?
That's a good question. Since I've applied, I've gotten an academic job and have been inducted to two honor societies. I've been wondering whether or not to send updates to other schools I've applied to.
For people who have already interviewed at Tech, was there a portion of your interview where you could tell them anything new that was not in your original applications?

That's a good question. Since I've applied, I've gotten an academic job and have been inducted to two honor societies. I've been wondering whether or not to send updates to other schools I've applied to.
For people who have already interviewed at Tech, was there a portion of your interview where you could tell them anything new that was not in your original applications?
Your interview time would be a great opportunity to give these updates. Shows you are continuing to learn and grow.

Your interview time would be a great opportunity to give these updates. Shows you are continuing to learn and grow.
If I've already interviewed here prior to being inducted ,would it be appropriate to send in an update about my induction to an honor society?

Members don't see this ad :)
At my first interview, I was asked if there is anything else that you would like us to know and I took that opportunity to talk about new significant accomplishments that were not on my app.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an II email.I checked the portal all day but there was nothing. lizzy M 69 , transmitted 9/9, secondary completed 9/30.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II email.I checked the portal all day but there was nothing. lizzy M 69 , transmitted 9/9, secondary completed 9/30.
Congrats. I been doing the same. checking the portal all day. :D Can't Stop Won't stop.

II! The only 2 dates available are 11/4 and 11/16. For those of you still waiting on an interview, there should be more dates available in December :)

So when they give you a pre match offer, if you only get one then it's a for sure thing?
Thanks

So when they give you a pre match offer, if you only get one then it's a for sure thing?
Thanks
Yes as long as you rank that program and accept it officially at match day. You can also match to a school on match day without having had any pre- match offers at all. You must rank all the schools at which you have had interviews.

Last edited:
I interviewed October 15th. I think it went well, but I am an out of state applicant. I made it apparent to the people interviewing me that I wish to reside in Texas long term, pursue family medicine, and serve the rural community. Because of these factors I feel the school may view me as a possible out of state candidate for their limited spots. That being said I am very nervous about my non-resident status, and getting into this school means a lot to me. Would any of you happen to know when I may hear back from the institution? Or if they have already filled their non resident quota for this cycle?

When I got the interview, I picked this friday as soon as I could.
Oh nice, this Friday wasn't even available for me. Just annoying bc I live very far away and have to keep flying back and forth like a donkey lol

Do you mind sharing your stats and what the interview was like for the FMAT path?
LizzyM 78. IS. I think the interview went well! It was very conversational and I really liked the school. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Oh nice, this Friday wasn't even available for me. Just annoying bc I live very far away and have to keep flying back and forth like a donkey lol
I am driving 9.5 hours :/ flights in such short notice were expensive plus I wanna know the area so I'll take a short road trip haha

Hello, guys.

I interviewed last Friday and had a great experience--it felt pretty laid-back. I simply advise mentioning any updates you may have if they ask you to talk about yourself or what you've been up to since applying. Maybe try to emphasize your interest in living/working in West Texas since that is significant to them?

I received my second II today! LizzyM: 64.3; TMDSAS Complete on 8/24; Secondary App Submitted: 6/01

Any pointers on the interview would be appreciated! My interview is on 11/4!

EDIT: My MCAT was a 499, so those with below average MCAT scores: do NOT give up hope!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys - just to clarify, is it 2 30-minute interviews with faculty? Or is there MMI? I've read through threads and the website and can't find any information!

Hey guys - just to clarify, is it 2 30-minute interviews with faculty? Or is there MMI? I've read through threads and the website and can't find any information!
Unless they've really changed it, 2 one-on-one interviews with faculty and/or med student.

I received my second II today! LizzyM: 64.3; TMDSAS Complete on 8/24; Secondary App Submitted: 6/01

EDIT: My MCAT was a 499, so those with below average MCAT scores: do NOT give up hope!
Congrats dude! I'm interviewing this Friday with an MCAT score of 498. Exactly what he said. Don't not apply just because of a low score, there is hope!

one med student and one faculty, according to my friends that have interviewed so far.

Congrats dude! I'm interviewing this Friday with an MCAT score of 498. Exactly what he said. Don't not apply just because of a low score, there is hope!

Hey guys, I have a similar MCAT score and am still hopeful for an interview here. May I ask if you all have ties to West Texas or anything you feel helped your applications? Thanks!

Congrats!! So happy for you :)Are you URM by any chance? Or have ties to West TX in particular?

How long does it normally take them to fill their allotted spots for non residents? I know they began accepting out of state applicants on OCT 15th.

@moma24 and @plowmanc congrats on yalls MD/MBA acceptances! I'm a first year who's currently in the program, so if you have any questions or anything feel free to ask!

LizzyM 78. IS. I think the interview went well! It was very conversational and I really liked the school. Let me know if you have any other questions!
what day did you interview if you dont mind sharing?

Hey guys, I have a similar MCAT score and am still hopeful for an interview here. May I ask if you all have ties to West Texas or anything you feel helped your applications? Thanks!
I'm currently attending Texas Tech right now for undergrad, and I have family that live in West Texas that goes back generations. Not Lubbock, but in West Texas. So that could've helped. I feel like I really did well on all of the essay questions, but I am not interested in primary care, which is huge for them. I have a very high GPA, so that could've countered the MCAT score slightly. If you want to know more about me personally, PM me! I'd be happy to answer any questions. Honestly, I am really not sure what made me stand out. I've done research and held academic jobs, but that's not SUPER unique. Who knows.

I'm currently attending Texas Tech right now for undergrad, and I have family that live in West Texas that goes back generations. Not Lubbock, but in West Texas. So that could've helped. I feel like I really did well on all of the essay questions, but I am not interested in primary care, which is huge for them. I have a very high GPA, so that could've countered the MCAT score slightly. If you want to know more about me personally, PM me! I'd be happy to answer any questions. Honestly, I am really not sure what made me stand out. I've done research and held academic jobs, but that's not SUPER unique. Who knows.

Oh okay! I see. I'm hoping my GPA helps pull me through also. And well there's something they saw in your application, congrats on receiving your interview invite! You're gonna kill it. Thanks for answering my question, I really appreciate it :)

I do not. I grew up and attended college in DFW. I believe my high GPA, EC, and being a URM helped out. Good luck! Believe in yourself!