2016-2017 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected pre-II today! Kind of saw it coming haha

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted, interviewed early Feb!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
accepted students, how & when were you informed about 2nd look?

Does anyone know how many people are usually taken off the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 user
Do scholarships / merit money go out with the acceptance emails/letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm thinking about applying to Rush and have been reading through the thread. I have over 300+ hours non-clinical volunteering and will have a little less than 200 (clinical volunteering hours) by the time I apply, but about 2/3rds of my clinical hours will have been crammed over the past six months (1.5 year gap from previous clinical volunteering commitment). Would this gap deter Rush into a pre-II rejection?

Last edited:
Hey, I'm thinking about applying to Rush and have been reading through the thread. I have over 300+ hours non-clinical volunteering and will have a little less than 200 by the time I apply, but about 2/3rds of my clinical hours will have been crammed over the past six months (1.5 year gap from previous clinical volunteering commitment). Would this gap deter Rush into a pre-II rejection?

Just apply and be genuine in your secondaries. You'll be fine.

Do you know if they give merit scholarships out at the same time as the rest of the financial aid package? Or is that later?
I received a merit scholarship that went towards my first and second semester tuition, yet I wasn't notified about it till the start of the second semester.. im not sure if that's normal for rush or not tbh.

Just some advice for incoming students that are still making decisions about which school to pick...
I like Rush a lot and am very glad I chose to attend Rush. However, be very aware of the cirriculum change that is going to be in place next year. If you are a student that really prefers lectures and not having to work in small groups (like me), then Rush may not be the best fit for you. Not every student has the option to choose a different school if they haven't been accepted to multiple places, but if you have been, and you know for a fact you'd prefer more of the traditional teaching style, then take that into deep consideration.

I received a merit scholarship that went towards my first and second semester tuition, yet I wasn't notified about it till the start of the second semester.. im not sure if that's normal for rush or not tbh.

That seems really odd and makes it hard to compare COA for the school. I really loved Rush and felt like it would be a great fit (especially with the curriculum changes). However its hard to justify taking 75k in loans a year when I could go to my better ranked state school for half the cost (not as good a fit though).

Normally I'd feel fine with these large loans since being an MD has historically been a good salary, but all the uncertainty in the coming years about healthcare, federal loan repayment changes, education costs, etc raises some concern about getting so far into debt.

Hey all, I'm a non-traditional student who's about to apply in this upcoming cycle and was wondering if any of you could help me out a bit. I noticed a number of you applied really early and some of you applied a bit later like in August. I've been working on applying to some post bac or grad programs to help raise my GPA and be more competitive somewhat. As of right now, I haven't had any acceptances yet and likely won't find out until maybe June or even August. I know Rush doesn't like to accept any application updates and urges applicants to wait until you've received grades for your post bac or grad program, which won't be until mid-August. My GPA isn't so great and I've already taken a few extra classes that could help bring it up, but it's still not spectacular, so I could definitely use the GPA boost from this grad program if I do get in. I'm also planning to take the MCAT in May and have been getting decent scores so far. My question is that do you think its worth it to wait until mid-August or September to apply after I've received my grades for the grad program or should I not wait and apply right away? Again my GPA has seen some boost since my undergrad but its not as good as I want it to be and I'm hoping I'm able to shine on my MCAT this upcoming May. My EC aren't too bad either imho. Just my GPA is the only thing deterring me from applying. What do you guys think? I know a lot of people on this forum who got in applied early, but then again there's a decent amount who also applied early that got rejected too. Any guidance would be appreciated. Rush is my all time favorite school and it'd be a dream to go there.

Do you know if they give merit scholarships out at the same time as the rest of the financial aid package? Or is that later?

Unfortunately it seems to be pretty random, and I'm seeing that across all schools. I know people who got theirs with their acceptance, while others have gotten it after orientation. Weird.

That seems really odd and makes it hard to compare COA for the school. I really loved Rush and felt like it would be a great fit (especially with the curriculum changes). However its hard to justify taking 75k in loans a year when I could go to my better ranked state school for half the cost (not as good a fit though).

Normally I'd feel fine with these large loans since being an MD has historically been a good salary, but all the uncertainty in the coming years about healthcare, federal loan repayment changes, education costs, etc raises some concern about getting so far into debt.
The only thing I can say about that is this...
Go to the school you genuinely think you fit better and will enjoy more. I am so glad I ended up going to Rush simply because it ended up fitting me so well and I truly don't think about the COA. That's just my 2 cents.

Can anyone who has withdrawn post acceptance tell me how you withdrew? I just sent an email to the Rush admissions address, but didn't see anywhere in the portal to withdraw and want to make sure I haven't missed something.
That's all you're supposed to do! If you feel it necessary, you can send it again and just inform them that you wanted to make sure.

Did anyone else get their paperwork in on time (before March 1) but still hasn't heard anything about financial aid?

I'm starting to get very nervous about the new curriculum. Completely flipped classroom and no traditional lectures sounds great on paper, but does this mean all class time is mandatory? That was something I was hoping to avoid. Honestly, it might even be a dealbreaker, which sucks because I was all but set on Rush, and I think its the best fit.

I guess nobody knows until they go over the curriculum on Friday at second look, but if any current student has insider insight, that would be great. @mr.mkitty ?

Last edited:
I'm starting to get very nervous about the new curriculum. Completely flipped classroom and no traditional lectures sounds great on paper, but does this mean all class time is mandatory? That was something I was hoping to avoid. Honestly, it might even be a dealbreaker, which sucks because I was all but set on Rush, and I think its the best fit.

I guess nobody knows until they go over the curriculum on Friday at second look, but if any current student has insider insight, that would be great. @mr.mkitty ?

These are exactly my thoughts as well. As someone who is deciding between Rush and other schools, I absolutely loved my interview day here. However, this whole "flipped classroom" is worrisome. A part of me wishes we were entering a year ago, where students could choose to attend lecture or just watch it on their own time. The "flipped classroom" seems to be code for team based learning, lots of group work, etc - which works for some students but maybe not so much for others. It would also be helpful to learn more about what the attendance policy will be like, and what a normal day will look like schedule-wise.

Hope that some of these questions get answered soon.

These are exactly my thoughts as well. As someone who is deciding between Rush and other schools, I absolutely loved my interview day here. However, this whole "flipped classroom" is worrisome. A part of me wishes we were entering a year ago, where students could choose to attend lecture or just watch it on their own time. The "flipped classroom" seems to be code for team based learning, lots of group work, etc - which works for some students but maybe not so much for others. It would also be helpful to learn more about what the attendance policy will be like, and what a normal day will look like schedule-wise.

Hope that some of these questions get answered soon.

One thing to keep in mind is that even as non-flipped classroom students, you still have mandatory things to do either daily or every other day. The entire physicianship program is basically mandatory, where we take doctoring classes, physical diagnosis, and do our simulated patients. Though I 100% agree that group work can be sucky and it definitely isn't for everyone, I think of the whole flipped classroom as a great thing. We have 138 people in our class right now, and roughly 15 go to lecture daily, so most of us take advantage of lecture recordings already because you can watch at 2.0 speed and get through lectures quickly. Also, you guys will have all of ur lectures for an entire block posted on the very first day of the block, so you can space things as you like, and even potentially get a head if you know you have a busy weekend coming up. If you are worried about not being in lecture to ask questions, our faculty are super accessible and respond to emails within minutes or are always in their office to answer questions. Also, the cool thing about Rush is that we are all super close and friends, so even though team based learning can suck sometimes and be pointless, we still have a good time getting through it and we all help each other.

We have student council reps who have gotten information on mock-schedules for you guys next year and ill work on locating one so I can show you what your average day will be like, and hopefully that helps. Also, come to second look day, talk to some of us M2's, learn about the new curriculum, and then make your choice.

I am 100% biased. I absolutely love Rush. I got accepted into programs ranked higher, but there is something about Rush, the vibe, the city, the resources, the education, that makes it a phenomenal school. I'll make my final pitch. Rush has a lot of cool research going on, i would say about 60-70% of our class is working on research projects as we speak. I didn't do the research elective, i just emailed a couple cardiologists and I found research super quick and I love doing it. Also, 50 out the 70 who applied to our deans research summer fellowship got into the program, so 50 people get to make 4,000 over the summer doing research. I bet most schools don't have such a high percentage. Also, you literally have two hospitals with phenomenal doctors looking for people to shadow and people to pass knowledge too. I have gotten to shadow in the ED at Stroger and the Cardiac ward at Rush. What schools offer you two top hospitals to learn from? Lastly, Rush is a family, and for some of us who are far away from home, having a class where we all care for each other and support each other is phenomenal. I mean we have a Facebook where we create study guides, shares our flashcards, remind each other when quizzes are and set up tutoring for lab within our own class. We truly help each other succeed.

That was my rush sell. I love it here. If you have any questions, PM me. Thanks

Reactions: 1 users

For anyone reading this, is just my understanding of the curriculum based off of what I recall being told, and from my participation in the block that they used as a "test-run" of the new curriculum (which was slightly different from what you guys will have).
But so yeah, pretty much they expect you to be in/at all the scheduled activities. Since they are taking away the traditional lectures, they want you to be learning during the faculty directed discussions and learning workshops. This leads me to believe that even if it's not mandatory, that it's going to be set up in a way that you're going to need to go to the scheduled events in order to get the information you actually need. I think the curriculum is really going to make it so that students can't just study the information from a pack of course notes at home and instead encourage everyone to be come to "class" and collaborate and discuss. Personally, I wouldn't like that.

I'll say this though, Rush has phenomenal faculty. They genuinely have professors that are strong teachers and are very helpful to students. Additionally, the administration isn't on its "own little world" like at some schools.

Take the curriculum into great consideration when choosing. I was lucky enough to end up at a school that had a curriculum that ended up fitting me really well, but in retrospect, I hardly even considered the curriculum when choosing a school.

Last edited:
does anyone know how we can get our $ back to withdraw our seaT?

Recently withdrew. I did receive a scholarship, so I hope someone else gets a chance to pick up that money. Good luck to you all!

does anyone know how we can get our $ back to withdraw our seaT?
After sending my withdraw email, I received a reply that my tuition deposit would be refunded.

Last edited:
withdrew today. OOS accepted to IS school. Good luck.

Has anybody heard anything who is watilisted?

This waiting thing is so much fun !

Withdrew this morning. Good luck to those on the waitlist!!! Rooting for y'all!

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if there is a priority waitlist or not. I assumed there was one since I heard there was one last year.
I haven't heard about a priority waitlist this year. If there is one, I'm not on it lol.

Yeah, I don't think there is one this year. No one who was waitlisted during second look told me about one ha ha.

Yeah definitely not on any kind of priority waitlist, have not heard anything about one this year. I'm so worried though, people were moving so much faster last year and from their SDN thread it sounds like they got some more communication from Jill during traffic week.

Just received an email update about the waitlist. Jill said she expects some movement but cannot say when.

Agony continuessss. Was really looking forward to hearing about any movement today...