2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? Closed or open file? and how many interviews are there? and any other info/advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Are thank you notes required/preferred? Thanks
No.
Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? Closed or open file? and how many interviews are there? and any other info/advice would be appreciated!
Student closed, faculty open. Be yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

If you don't mind, what dates are available in April? Portal still says "Decision Pending" and I want to know how late into April they interview. Thanks

Yes they scheduled my interview for me and gave me Wednesday April 5th. No idea if that's the last day or not!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed in September, but I don't know the rhyme or reason. I sent an update letter in 2 weeks ago. Good luck!
Perhaps you are in one of the special categories. Delaware resident, rural doctor pledge, pos bac affiliation, New Jersey resident.

Perhaps you are in one of the special categories. Delaware resident, rural doctor pledge, pos bac affiliation, New Jersey resident.
SKMC has a preference for Jersey residents?

SKMC has a preference for Jersey residents?

i know it's the state school for Delaware, don't know about New Jersey.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
More likely interviewed in September and then sent in an update letter. We don't give preference given to NJ residents. Often people who interview in September get waitlisted until others from September/October that got accepted withdrawal their acceptances.

Also, for anyone interviewing this week Philadelphia is supposed to get CRUSHED on Tuesday with snow, so plan accordingly. Philly airport has a history of being horrendous with any type of weather.

will interview day be on no matter what or will a decision be made tomorrow?

How long after a portal update did people receive an email?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were to get a 1 bedroom off campus near Jeff, how much are we talking about rent-wise? $1200/mo? I'm guessing most students either get a place together off-campus or live in the on-campus housing, yeah?

If I were to get a 1 bedroom off campus near Jeff, how much are we talking about rent-wise? $1200/mo? I'm guessing most students either get a place together off-campus or live in the on-campus housing, yeah?
Jeff is in center city, which isn't a cheap place to live. I'm looking now, and $1200ish is probably the absolute low end for a 1br- there's a lot more volume in the $1300-1600 (median is probably $1400?) range . It's also cheaper the further you move out from center city, but that's an obvious trade-off. Pretty comparable to what you'll see in other big cities IMO.

Im prewriting secondaries and was wondering if it would be appropriate to abbreviate this school's name with SKMC?
Nah you gotta use Sidney Kimmel Medical College - Thomas Jefferson University to knock out that character count.

Just kidding yeah abbreviation should be fine

Reactions: 6 users
Jeff is in center city, which isn't a cheap place to live. I'm looking now, and $1200ish is probably the absolute low end for a 1br- there's a lot more volume in the $1300-1600 (median is probably $1400?) range . It's also cheaper the further you move out from center city, but that's an obvious trade-off. Pretty comparable to what you'll see in other big cities IMO.
You can definitely find a one bedroom or studio for 800-1200 in Center City.

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call from Dr. Callahan at 2:45! Interviewed 3/1

Reactions: 3 users
Got the call around 2:45 as well! So excited :) Good luck everyone ! 3/1 interview.

Has anyone from the 2/22 interview group hear back yet? I feel like they skipped us lol

Reactions: 1 users
I was part of 2/22 just got high priority wait list what does this mean? And what are my chances ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was part of 2/22 just got high priority wait list what does this mean? And what are my chances ?

i think they said they pull about 1/3 of their class from HPWL. not sure if there are any exact numbers out there but it seems like ~300 ppl might be on the hpwl. basically a 33% chance of coming off the hpwl. please correct me if i am wrong. i am just citing numbers i have seen floating around on this forum/ what i remember from the interview day

This thread has been quite silent recently for us pre-II peeps. How are my fellow "Decision pending 4 lyfers" doing?

Reactions: 8 users
This thread has been quite silent recently for us pre-II peeps. How are my fellow "Decision pending 4 lyfers" doing?
I'm dying man, just need some closure.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know about deferring a year here at Jeff? I was admitted but due to my current research would be interested in postponing my start date a year. Are they pretty receptive to this? How does that work with financial aid ect? Thanks!

Does anyone know about deferring a year here at Jeff? I was admitted but due to my current research would be interested in postponing my start date a year. Are they pretty receptive to this? How does that work with financial aid ect? Thanks!
Must be some intense research to consider deferring...

I think it's fairly safe to say that if you're decision pending at this point that it's not gonna happen for you this cycle.

Yea I personally know a student who was decision pending for 8 months (July to March), had an interview on April 4th and got accepted on April 20th (not even waitlisted)!! So there is definitely hope for all of us!

True, but I am hoping for some very last minute love as I know someone who did receive love from SKMC in April last year. :whistle:

Reactions: 3 users
Of course. Complete 7/12. Lizzy M 71, skewed with high MCAT.
Sent an interest letter last week, as well as update/interest letter in Dec.

How much weight does the student interview actually have? It was so casual, I can't imagine it will count much?
It has a fairly strong contribution comparable to the faculty interview. If the student rejects you, you cannot be accepted regardless of what the faculty member's decision is.

For those of you who have interviewed, around what time did the day finish? Is it realistic to try to make a 6:50 flight out?

Does Jefferson ever actually reject after interview, or do they also waitlist students with no intent whatsoever (e.g. rejected by faculty/student/both)? Would anyone ever be placed on HPWL for the same reason?

Does Jefferson ever actually reject after interview, or do they also waitlist students with no intent whatsoever (e.g. rejected by faculty/student/both)? Would anyone ever be placed on HPWL for the same reason?
Yes, people get rejected. The HPWL represents a real shot at an acceptance. The alternate waitlist presents a much lower albeit not zero chance of being accepted.

For those of you who have interviewed, around what time did the day finish? Is it realistic to try to make a 6:50 flight out?

Done by 3 (although some interviews ran over) but optional cookie hour is from 3-4! So that flight should be reasonable