2016-2017 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received a confirmation that they got our applications? This is the only school I've heard nothing from since my AMCAS was verified.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a confirmation that they got our applications? This is the only school I've heard nothing from since my AMCAS was verified.
I received a confirmation the day after my application was verified. Maybe its different for EDP and non-EDP

My AMCAS was verified on 7/15 and I got a confirmation that they got my application on 7/19 (I did not apply EDP)

Members don't see this ad :)
My AMCAS was verified on 7/15 and I got a confirmation that they got my application on 7/19 (I did not apply EDP)

Mine was verified about 2 weeks ago but I haven't even gotten an email or anything automated from them. I'm OOS and not EDP either. All my letters were in, the application was totally complete. Seems kind of strange. Should I contact them or just let it be for now?

Give it another week. If you still haven't heard anything then contact them. It couldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From the looks of it, if you didn't get an II on Friday then you did not make it for the first round of interviews. Does anyone know if IU will hold on to everyone's application until the very end or do they reject early in the cycle like (September through December)? I'm a reapplicant and I know a good number of schools that don't send official rejections to anyone (except those pre-screened) until March... (silent rejections are the bane of this process...)

From the looks of it, if you didn't get an II on Friday then you did not make it for the first round of interviews. Does anyone know if IU will hold on to everyone's application until the very end or do they reject early in the cycle like (September through December)? I'm a reapplicant and I know a good number of schools that don't send official rejections to anyone (except those pre-screened) until March... (silent rejections are the bane of this process...)
Says who? Timing means nothing my friend got one today.

Oh, nice! Everyone who was reporting II on the thread did so only on Friday (07-29). Nice to hear there's till hope for an early II.

Maybe Friday is just the day they sent out the most, I'm sure they spend a lot of time during the week reviewing applications and instead of notifying people as they review they might just have one day dedicated to it every week or so to save them time. I hate it when schools don't send you an official rejection, and I really hope that's not the case here!

Just submitted AMCAS to IU. Pretty stoked about the school!

Finally got confirmation that they received my AMCAS weeks after it was verified!

Reactions: 2 users
II just now! Confusing though because they sent me an email first saying I needed to complete a list of things before my interview, then 10 minutes later they sent one saying congrats on being selected for an interview haha

Reactions: 3 users
II just now! Confusing though because they sent me an email first saying I needed to complete a list of things before my interview, then 10 minutes later they sent one saying congrats on being selected for an interview haha
+1!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you guys submit your primary? Do you mind sharing your stats and IS or OOS?

II OOS Mcat 518 Gpa 3.97 verified 6/24

II! IS, MCAT 510, Verified 07/21

Edit: Forgot to mention my GPA is 3.97. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
OOS. 506. 3.55. Verified 6/24

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my II!!!

Reactions: 1 users
What? Ralts is evolving!

II received today. Verified 07/19.
IS EDP; MCAT 514; cGPA 3.8

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear and congratulations to everyone that has received a II!

How do we submit the dean of students evaluation and the legal disclosure form? Do we mail it to them? Or do we upload it in the "Graduate and Professional Admissions Application"

How do we submit the dean of students evaluation and the legal disclosure form? Do we mail it to them? Or do we upload it in the "Graduate and Professional Admissions Application"

I was assuming that we mail it. Looking at last year's thread it appears people mailed it too.

I was kinda upset that there's no secondary application despite saving me time on writing more essays. I was hoping to make note in it of the fact that my mother did her medical fellowship at IU. Is it weird if I sent the adcom a letter they could put in my file that basically makes note of my legacy at IU?

I was born in Indiana but have lived OOS in a border state since I was a toddler, but I suppose my AMCAS makes note of that. I am just so worried that my application will get thrown out prematurely since it's OOS :/

I was kinda upset that there's no secondary application despite saving me time on writing more essays. I was hoping to make note in it of the fact that my mother did her medical fellowship at IU. Is it weird if I sent the adcom a letter they could put in my file that basically makes note of my legacy at IU?

I was born in Indiana but have lived OOS in a border state since I was a toddler, but I suppose my AMCAS makes note of that. I am just so worried that my application will get thrown out prematurely since it's OOS :/

I sent a letter to the admissions office which they said they would put in my file. (I had called their office and they said it had to be mailed in, no electronic notes).

Hello everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right thread for these questions, but here goes. IU is my school of choice and I'm just starting premed, when you did premed, what courses did you take and where? IU doesn't list any math courses as a requirement, is this accurate? What was your GPA and MCAT when you applied? What degree did you have? What extracurriculars did you do, how much shadowing, any research? Do they care about your overall GPA or just your science GPA? Does your science GPA mean all science courses, or just those that relate to premed? I'm struggling on whether I should spring for a BS in something while minoring in premed, or just make premed my focus and get to the required 90 credit hours that IU asks for, since it says MOST matriculate with a BA or BS, I'm wondering if it's possible to get in with an AS + premed courses instead. Any guidance you can give me would be much appreciated! I have no friends in the program and none of my current professors seem to know anything about it.

What I would recommend is don't focus on hardcore science. At most schools, there isn't a "pre med" major. You could be an art major, but as long as you meet the prerequisite requirements, then you're fine. Essentially, you want a nice combo of science and humanities courses to do well on the MCAT and, more importantly, be a well-rounded applicant. I am a neuroscience major and it's given me a holistic set of courses that I feel definitely prepared me well for the MCAT. I wish I would have minored in ethics or some other humanities major as well, because I didn't do much analytical reading throughout undergrad that I feel would have been beneficial for a good CARS school.

Another thing, start volunteering early, get involved in student organizations/take leadership roles, and make good connections with people that could write you a letter of evaluation.

II today. OOS, 517, 3.91 cGPA

I designated 6 LORs on AMCAS because I did not see a maximum at the time, and now it says three. Would it be ok for me to just email them and let them know which ones I will be designating as Science, Non-Science and Personal?

Hey for the dean of students evaluation are we supposed to mail it to the dean and have the dean mail it to the school? Or scan it to the dean?

They told me I'm verified today and they're reviewing my application. LizzyM 66 OOS. Longshot but whatev. Good luck all!

I designated 6 LORs on AMCAS because I did not see a maximum at the time, and now it says three. Would it be ok for me to just email them and let them know which ones I will be designating as Science, Non-Science and Personal?

They accept more than 3 as long as you have one that meets each criteria

Hey for the dean of students evaluation are we supposed to mail it to the dean and have the dean mail it to the school? Or scan it to the dean?

I went to my deans office, which is basically the office that handles disciplinary action and spoke with the person at the front desk. She told me that they would take care of the form and mail it within 24 hours. If your university has an office like that I would recommend you go there. It doesn't have to be the actual dean who signs the form. The person I spoke to said they get requests like this all the time

Reactions: 1 users

congrats! do you mind me asking when you were complete?

congrats! do you mind me asking when you were complete?

I was verified on 6/10, when I saw the email I swore it was going to be a rejection. My family back in Indiana is going to be so stoked.

EDIT: To clarify, I was verified on 6/10, but did not receive the "complete" email from Indiana University until 6/30.

Last edited:
Yes, I received mine this past Wednesday via e-mail notification.
Did you turn everything in first or did you just submit the grad school app and the $$?

Did you turn everything in first or did you just submit the grad school app and the $$?
I submitted the grad school app and the $, I think it's fine if your documents come later, so long as they arrive before your interview date. I think they're still waiting on that discipline form that I had to send to my university.

Yes, I received mine this past Wednesday via e-mail notification.

How much time passed between the email inviting you for an interview and the email with the actual interview date?

MS1 here, new curriculum here is P/F for the pre-clinical classes if any of you hadn't heard yet (it was just announced to us last week). Best of luck everybody!

Reactions: 5 users
Also an MS1 with the new curriculum. Feel free to PM with questions. My apologies if responses are slow.

@vernhart & @OrgoCoop : Can you explain what the process is for assigning MS1 students to different campuses?

Is it a lottery / student choice / designated by academic standing?
IUSM is my top choice but I'm not necessarily sure that would remain the same if I have a 60% chance of ending up in a satellite campus.

Finally does the location you get interviewed at matter? I chose Indianapolis but they changed it to Northwest Gary....

@vernhart & @OrgoCoop : Can you explain what the process is for assigning MS1 students to different campuses?

IUSM is my top choice but I'm not necessarily sure that would remain the same if I have a 60% chance of ending up in a satellite campus.

Finally does the location you get interviewed at matter? I chose Indianapolis but they changed it to Northwest Gary....

Hey! If you don't do the early decision program or the MD/PhD, you will be placed into a lottery system for campus assignment. Once accepted, you will have the opportunity to rank all 9 campuses with your preferences. Students who are accepted earlier in the cycle have a higher likelihood of getting their top campus. That said, I was accepted in January and got my top campus. If you do not get your top choice, you have the opportunity to submit the "second chance lottery" where you may be reassigned to your top campus.

Since the curriculum is standardized state-wide, your experience at a satellite campus shouldn't greatly alter your educational experience, but this is also too new to tell for sure.

I'm not sure about location of interviews. I was interviewed in Indy and had many friends interviewed at gary and still get in. I would doubt your interview location matters. The interview experience can vary greatly depending on WHO interviews you, not where.

Hey Tochstorm, I'm not an MS1 but I have several friends who are so I can answer your question. It is only student choice if you are an early decision applicant. For everyone else you basically rank the campuses and then its a lottery based off of that.

Anyone else having a hard time submitting the supplementary app payment? Currently keep getting an error message when I try to navigate to the payment page.

I submitted the grad school app and the $, I think it's fine if your documents come later, so long as they arrive before your interview date. I think they're still waiting on that discipline form that I had to send to my university.
Did you reply back to the, after you selected your interview date and submitted your grad app? On the email it says something about replying within 7 days and I was wondering if that referred to just doing the app or if we actually needed to email them back

Quick question on the campus lottery system: at what point in the year/application process would we found out what campus we were assigned to?