2016-2017 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if all three letters of recommendation for here have to be from professors?

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that you need a minimum of one science letter (one must be specifically from a biology, chemistry, or physics instructor), one non-science letter (this does include mathematics courses), and one personal letter. I'll be submitting two neuroscience recommendations, one biology recommendation, one calculus recommendation, and a personal recommendation from my supervisor in the Emergency Department where I work as a PCT. Also - I'm applying through the ED process so if anyone else sees this and would like to discuss things, I'd really like to see what led you to choose this process. Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
My understanding is that you need a minimum of one science letter (one must be specifically from a biology, chemistry, or physics instructor), one non-science letter (this does include mathematics courses), and one personal letter. I'll be submitting two neuroscience recommendations, one biology recommendation, one calculus recommendation, and a personal recommendation from my supervisor in the Emergency Department where I work as a PCT. Also - I'm applying through the ED process so if anyone else sees this and would like to discuss things, I'd really like to see what led you to choose this process. Best of luck to everyone!

I'm applying EDP as well, depending on my scores. But I feel confident I'll be alright. What led you to choose EDP?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm applying EDP as well, depending on my scores. But I feel confident I'll be alright. What led you to choose EDP?

I just applied EDP! I chose EDP because I'm from Indy, and I've heard good thing about the student culture and community from my friends who go there. Also being able to chose campus location was a big plus for me.

Also EDP people usually get interviews in September right? Does anyone know if it can be earlier?

I chose EDP for a few different reasons. IUSM is my number one choice (grew up around Indy and attended IU as an undergrad; have also had extensive experience working for IU Health in a few different roles and it has been fantastic all around) so I thought it best to maximize my chances of receiving an acceptance at my top choice rather than spreading my resources thin for a slim chance of acceptance at many OOS schools that I'm less interested in. I'm also attracted to the opportunity to choose campus location - and can echo heterozygoats in that I've heard many good things about the student culture and community from friends currently attending IUSM. Further, I want to stay relatively close to family and friends and am leaning towards practicing in Indiana eventually.

What about you ZealousDonut?

I chose EDP for a few different reasons. IUSM is my number one choice (grew up around Indy and attended IU as an undergrad; have also had extensive experience working for IU Health in a few different roles and it has been fantastic all around) so I thought it best to maximize my chances of receiving an acceptance at my top choice rather than spreading my resources thin for a slim chance of acceptance at many OOS schools that I'm less interested in. I'm also attracted to the opportunity to choose campus location - and can echo heterozygoats in that I've heard many good things about the student culture and community from friends currently attending IUSM. Further, I want to stay relatively close to family and friends and am leaning towards practicing in Indiana eventually.

What about you ZealousDonut?

I grew up in eastern Indiana, and go to school at IUPUI. I love the state and can't imagine living anywhere else. Seeing IUSM's role in the state's health is what I want to be a part of, and it's my number one choice way ahead of any others. Being able to say I grew up, went to undergrad, went to medical school, and practice medicine in Indiana would be pretty Hoosier, if I must say. I love that I am able to choose my location, like you, and although I would love to be placed anywhere, I love the hustle and bustle of Indianapolis. I lived in a rural-ish town and Indianapolis will never get old for me. And I'll be close to my family, which is always a plus.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, have any of you received a confirmation email from IU saying they received your application? I read that they did that. I submitted my app 06/21 and was verified 06/22 but haven't gotten a confirmation email yet.

EDIT: Just got my confirmation email today! (06/28) Now comes the waiting game.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. So I do not have a nonscience letter of rec. I have two neuroscience faculty letters, including one I did research with and a letter from a volunteer coordinator at a children's hospital. Is there any point applying here or will they just discard my application?

Anyone know the policy on more than 3 LORs? I submitted a 4th because I felt the person would really write a quality letter and shine light on who I am as an applicant. Is that ok?

EDIT: I found the answer. You can submit additional letters

Last edited:
Hi everyone. So I do not have a nonscience letter of rec. I have two neuroscience faculty letters, including one I did research with and a letter from a volunteer coordinator at a children's hospital. Is there any point applying here or will they just discard my application?
So I just called and they said as long as you have two letters from professors you have taken classes from you should be ok.

Anyone know the policy on more than 3 LORs? I submitted a 4th because I felt the person would really write a quality letter and shine light on who I am as an applicant. Is that ok?

EDIT: I found the answer. You can submit additional letters

Who did you speak with specifically? I was planning on calling the admissions office about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who did you speak with specifically? I was planning on calling the admissions office about this.

I emailed the admissions office. They said additional letters were fine as long as you have 3 that meet the requirements

So no essays? I haven't received a secondary yet

Without a secondary and online portal how do we know if they received our LOE's?

They have an online portal, but only once you get invited for an interview
I guess I'm asking so that I can make sure they have all of my materials before they make an interview decision

I guess I'm asking so that I can make sure they have all of my materials before they make an interview decision

They send you an email after you app is submitted I believe

They require 2 hours of lab for General Chemistry. My undergrad only offers a 1 hour lab, I tried to call and ask them about it and they basically just said to figure it out and take another lab (even though I explained it was not possible at my school). Any accepted/current students have a similar issue and were able to resolve?

If this helps anyone, I just went through the 2015-2016 application thread, and it looks like IU starts to send out interview invitations (bascially their secondary) around the first week of August. But they also send out invitations way later than that too, for example one person who submitted their app in September got their secondary in January. So basically August is just the optimistic time frame for people who have already submitted their app. Hopes this helps any nervous people like me!

Reactions: 1 users
I can't seem to find any definitive answers as to whether you're supposed to send your letters at any point after you designate the school on AMCAS or if you're supposed to wait until when and if you receive a II. Their process is really unique. Thoughts?

Planned on doing ED, but my CARS score reflected my poor preparation for it at 123, despite scoring 507 total. What do you all think my chances are, with a 3.82 sGPA, research (no publications but a few 3rd authors will be a manuscript this fall), decent amount of extracurriculars, starting hospital volunteering this week, 30+ hours of shadowing? For reference, a friend of mine also scored a 123 in CARS last and a 508 total and got in, but I don't know much of his other activities.

How friendly is this school to OOS? MSAR shows that 93/355 matriculated OOS here.

Do you think it's worth applying here with a 3.9/34? I have no ties to Indiana but like the school

How friendly is this school to OOS? MSAR shows that 93/355 matriculated OOS here.

Do you think it's worth applying here with a 3.9/34? I have no ties to Indiana but like the school

Definitely worth applying with your stats. IU is one of, if not the biggest schools in the country. Plus there's no secondary fee so you might as well

Reactions: 1 users
I can't seem to find any definitive answers as to whether you're supposed to send your letters at any point after you designate the school on AMCAS or if you're supposed to wait until when and if you receive a II. Their process is really unique. Thoughts?

are you not sending your letters via AMCAS? I just designated mine through AMCAS and figured they would download them if my application gets that far in their review process.

Planned on doing ED, but my CARS score reflected my poor preparation for it at 123, despite scoring 507 total. What do you all think my chances are, with a 3.82 sGPA, research (no publications but a few 3rd authors will be a manuscript this fall), decent amount of extracurriculars, starting hospital volunteering this week, 30+ hours of shadowing? For reference, a friend of mine also scored a 123 in CARS last and a 508 total and got in, but I don't know much of his other activities.

Honestly, I think a lot of med schools are trying to figure out how they want to interpret the new MCAT, so they're a little more flexible with scores right now. IU's old MCAT average was a 31, which was 83rd percentile, and now a 508 is 83rd percentile, so you're right in the ball park for their old average. I'm not a professional, but you seem like you have a pretty solid application, and since you're IS I say your chances are pretty good! I'm betting you'll get an interview and like most of us that will be the deciding factor.

are you not sending your letters via AMCAS? I just designated mine through AMCAS and figured they would download them if my application gets that far in their review process.

I've sent all my letters through AMCAS

Honestly, I think a lot of med schools are trying to figure out how they want to interpret the new MCAT, so they're a little more flexible with scores right now. IU's old MCAT average was a 31, which was 83rd percentile, and now a 508 is 83rd percentile, so you're right in the ball park for their old average. I'm not a professional, but you seem like you have a pretty solid application, and since you're IS I say your chances are pretty good! I'm betting you'll get an interview and like most of us that will be the deciding factor.

Wrong, a 508 is a 79th percentile. 509.5 is technically an 83rd percentile. It might not seem like much a difference, but to med schools it can make a huge difference between rejection and an II

And to ZealousDonut. If I were you I wouldn't have applied EDP. EDP applicants are usually strong in numbers to put their foot thru the door and then have good (not necessarily great) ECs to push thru the door to an acceptance. Like someone with a 32 would have a great chance at EDP with the right GPA and decent ECs. As of right now, your MCAT is below the average for IU matriculants, so I wouldn't recommend it.

However, if you've already submitted, I wish you the best of luck!

I also applied EDP and got an email saying IU had received my application a few days ago. If anyone gets an interview please let us know!

Wrong, a 508 is a 79th percentile. 509.5 is technically an 83rd percentile. It might not seem like much a difference, but to med schools it can make a huge difference between rejection and an II

And to ZealousDonut. If I were you I wouldn't have applied EDP. EDP applicants are usually strong in numbers to put their foot thru the door and then have good (not necessarily great) ECs to push thru the door to an acceptance. Like someone with a 32 would have a great chance at EDP with the right GPA and decent ECs. As of right now, your MCAT is below the average for IU matriculants, so I wouldn't recommend it.

However, if you've already submitted, I wish you the best of luck!

Their median matriculant last year was a 30, which translates roughly to a 508. 507 was 76th percentile, which translates to about a 29.5. I would say my scores are fairly competitive, since that's the median score and not the lowest score. I know a few people that got a 507 and no ECs and still got in. Another friend who scored 508 with a 23 CARS got in as well.

Their median matriculant last year was a 30, which translates roughly to a 508. 507 was 76th percentile, which translates to about a 29.5. I would say my scores are fairly competitive, since that's the median score and not the lowest score. I know a few people that got a 507 and no ECs and still got in. Another friend who scored 508 with a 23 CARS got in as well.

Wait, did you apply ED or regular?

This is the only school I haven't heard from since my AMCAS was verified...I'm OOS but have some ties. Nothing super strong, I just really like the school and wanted a shot.

I just applied EDP! I chose EDP because I'm from Indy, and I've heard good thing about the student culture and community from my friends who go there. Also being able to chose campus location was a big plus for me.

Also EDP people usually get interviews in September right? Does anyone know if it can be earlier?

Hey so I know several people who did EDP before. Most of them were invited to interview in the beginning of August and interview by the middle or end. Final decisions were mailed in September. Hope that helps!

Have they sent out secondaries yet? I was verified 7/20 still one of the only schools I haven't heard back from...Like do they absolutely not have a secondary? I thought we'd still have to fill out some biographical information lol....

Have they sent out secondaries yet? I was verified 7/20 still one of the only schools I haven't heard back from...Like do they absolutely not have a secondary? I thought we'd still have to fill out some biographical information lol....
No secondary, you'll get an email if you get an II.

Kind of relieved they don't do secondary because it saves me time not having to do essays and it means no fee for now!

Kind of relieved they don't do secondary because it saves me time not having to do essays and it means no fee for now!
Ha so true, especially the schools with "no secondary" that make you fill out biographical, course and other junk and then at the end hit you with a $100 fee for it o_O

Hello everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right thread for these questions, but here goes. IU is my school of choice and I'm just starting premed, when you did premed, what courses did you take and where? IU doesn't list any math courses as a requirement, is this accurate? What was your GPA and MCAT when you applied? What degree did you have? What extracurriculars did you do, how much shadowing, any research? Do they care about your overall GPA or just your science GPA? Does your science GPA mean all science courses, or just those that relate to premed? I'm struggling on whether I should spring for a BS in something while minoring in premed, or just make premed my focus and get to the required 90 credit hours that IU asks for, since it says MOST matriculate with a BA or BS, I'm wondering if it's possible to get in with an AS + premed courses instead. Any guidance you can give me would be much appreciated! I have no friends in the program and none of my current professors seem to know anything about it.

II today! I am IS and applied regular. Got my verification email 6/28

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! When did you receive a verification email that IU received your application?
I submitted my app on 06/21, I was verified by AMCAS on 06/22, and then I received my confirmation email from IU on 06/28!