2016-2017 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it just me, or did you guys basically fill out nothing? I don't have anything to put for the minorities one, and am not taking a gap year. I feel like I'm missing something...?
That prompt isn't a "minorities" prompt..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it just me, or did you guys basically fill out nothing? I don't have anything to put for the minorities one, and am not taking a gap year. I feel like I'm missing something...?
I didn't fill it out but it's not exclusively a minority prompt though that can be discussed there.

I filled out what I have done since college since I graduated in 2013. I put N/A for the others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two questions:

1. I have 4 LOR's: 1 from science professor, 1 from humanities professor, 1 from a physician mentor (he's a physician, but not a teacher), and 1 from my research PI. I don't know if I can get another LOR from a science professor, but HMS says I need 2 from science teacher, 1 from humanities. How flexible are they about this?

2. I read through the secondary questions... but I feel like none of the questions apply to me! I'm not re-applying to medical school, I haven't graduated yet, and I don't feel like "there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee." I also do not have any restriction of my interview availability. Am I the only one who is at loss here???

Two questions:

1. I have 4 LOR's: 1 from science professor, 1 from humanities professor, 1 from a physician mentor (he's a physician, but not a teacher), and 1 from my research PI. I don't know if I can get another LOR from a science professor, but HMS says I need 2 from science teacher, 1 from humanities. How flexible are they about this?

2. I read through the secondary questions... but I feel like none of the questions apply to me! I'm not re-applying to medical school, I haven't graduated yet, and I don't feel like "there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee." I also do not have any restriction of my interview availability. Am I the only one who is at loss here???
They can be flexible with the LORs and it helps that you have a letter from your PI. I would call and ask though if you are extremely concerned. Better safe than sorry.

It's okay to leave all the prompts blank, you won't be the only person that does so. Don't stress about it, it's not a trick :) Good luck!

p.s. if that's you in your avatar I recommend changing it to maintain your anonymity :)

Reactions: 1 user
When did you guys get the secondary application? I know everyone who applies should get one, but I still haven't gotten mine...Thanks!

@ChrisMack390 If it makes you feel better, I didn't include a letter from one of my 1-year undergrad research experiences from 5 years ago, and just got in MD/PhD. I had similar reasons as you -- it was a long time ago, I had an insignificant role in the lab and was not sure that the PI would remember me, research was in a totally different field from where I ended up and will pursue my PhD, and I no longer even went to that school. Granted, I had about 5 other research letters, but it still shows that you don't have to include every letter if you don't feel it was significant. It may raise a question, but if you have enough more recent letters you might be OK.

carpediem22, just out of pure curiosity, did you work in five different labs since your 1-year undergrad research experience??

carpediem22, just out of pure curiosity, did you work in five different labs since your 1-year undergrad research experience??
Haha, no. My story's a bit complicated, but suffice to say that working in 5 different labs in 4 years would not be a good idea.

1. If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.
2. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)
For number two, do y'all think it's appropriate if I discuss my diagnosis with type 1 diabetes and how this provided some motivation to enter the medical field? Thanks!

For number two, do y'all think it's appropriate if I discuss my diagnosis with type 1 diabetes and how this provided some motivation to enter the medical field? Thanks!
But wouldn't you have talked about it in your PS?

If you aren't very sure that something would fit #2, then you are probably trying to put something there for the sake of having something there. Filling it out in a subpar or unwanted way can annoy application readers. Optional prompts are truly optional; use them as necessary to share an element of yourself that isn't elsewhere on the application.

But wouldn't you have talked about it in your PS?

If you aren't very sure that something would fit #2, then you are probably trying to put something there for the sake of having something there. Filling it out in a subpar or unwanted way can annoy application readers. Optional prompts are truly optional; use them as necessary to share an element of yourself that isn't elsewhere on the application.
Yes, I did use it in my PS. It didn't take up a lot of it, but did play a significant role. I guess I probably shouldn't include it then. Thanks!

So I did see that they want reference letters from all research supervisors... but what if I have only been working with someone for 2 weeks? I already have 2 solid letters from supervisors that I have worked with for years... do I need to add the new guy as a mediocre third?

Edit: but I still want to include my work with the third new guy in my activities since I'm writing sections of a book he's working on and a few papers

So I did see that they want reference letters from all research supervisors... but what if I have only been working with someone for 2 weeks? I already have 2 solid letters from supervisors that I have worked with for years... do I need to add the new guy as a mediocre third?

Edit: but I still want to include my work with the third new guy in my activities since I'm writing sections of a book he's working on and a few papers
No I don't think a letter from him is necessary. Especially if you state on your activities section that you only recently started working for him. You can ask him for a letter in the future as an update to your application if you really want to.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Nope. The point of the rule, I think, is to see consistency across a range of environments since it is possible to hit the jackpot with a particular lab and not do so hot in other labs. Definitely pointless to get a LOR from someone you've worked with for 2 weeks.

No I don't think a letter from him is necessary. Especially if you state on your activities section that you only recently started working for him. You can ask him for a letter in the future as an update to your application if you really want to.

Nope. The point of the rule, I think, is to see consistency across a range of environments since it is possible to hit the jackpot with a particular lab and not do so hot in other labs. Definitely pointless to get a LOR from someone you've worked with for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated.

I more or less ignored that rule. I got letters from my 2 most recent research experiences. I didn't get letters from the reseach I did in 2009 - 2011. There is no way they would have been decent letters after all of this time, and if I do not get into Harvard Medical School, I am very confident that this will not be the thing that held me back.

Question about the second essay: are they specifically asking for something related to our demographic status like those mentioned as examples or can we also talk about interesting life experiences?

Question about the second essay: are they specifically asking for something related to our demographic status like those mentioned as examples or can we also talk about interesting life experiences?
If it is relevant to your interest in medicine and pertains to your identity/background in a significant way, go for it. If by "life experiences" you mean things like shadowing or service trips or anything not related to your identity/background, don't write about it.

Does anyone know how the HST MD program views applicants who took an SMP?
MCAT: Predicting 516+
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.4
SMP (BU MAMS): 4.0
I wrote an essay about how I'm a self-taught bioinformatics researcher studying big data & machine learning since high school, which is explicitly aligned with their goals in the prompt, and I have 11 original research publications.

I feel like my research history and ECs are on point, but can any of this realistically override my horrible undergrad performance?

I wrote an essay about how I'm a self-taught bioinformatics researcher studying big data & machine learning since high school, which is explicitly aligned with their goals in the prompt, and I have 11 original research publications.

I feel like my research history and ECs are on point, but can any of this realistically override my horrible undergrad performance?
I would encourage you to apply (once you know if your MCAT score is competitive) because you have significant research. It will still be a bit of a reach due to your low gpa, but I don't think Harvard is AS stats driven as WUSTL or UChicago although stats definitely matter. From what I've read, they care about stats, but also really emphasize research and unique aspects of applicants. I am only an applicant, not a med student or adcom member, so I could be wrong. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Only thing for sure is, no app = no chance. Apply if only for peace of mind; you don't want to be forever thinking "what if?"

Reactions: 4 users
I think I have made a grave mistake! :( For the question about personal background/identity I wrote about how my own culture and religion has influenced my desire to work in developing countries as a physician. But later as I was rereading my personal statement I realized that I'd already touched on that point in one of the paragraphs! Have I squandered any hope of getting an interview?

I think I have made a grave mistake! :( For the question about personal background/identity I wrote about how my own culture and religion has influenced my desire to work in developing countries as a physician. But later as I was rereading my personal statement I realized that I'd already touched on that point in one of the paragraphs! Have I squandered any hope of getting an interview?
Unlikely :)

Question - it says applications are considered separately for NP and HST, but if we apply to both, does that mean the adcom reviewing our app for NP will not see our essay for HST?

Asking because I'm wondering: if I talk about something important/research-related in my HST essay, does that mean the NP adcoms won't see it? Or can I assume whoever reads for NP will see the HST essay also, so I don't have to be repetitive..

Question - it says applications are considered separately for NP and HST, but if we apply to both, does that mean the adcom reviewing our app for NP will not see our essay for HST?

Asking because I'm wondering: if I talk about something important/research-related in my HST essay, does that mean the NP adcoms won't see it? Or can I assume whoever reads for NP will see the HST essay also, so I don't have to be repetitive..

The admissions process is separate for each program. While NP will have access to your HST essay, they will probably not be reading it.

The admissions process is separate for each program. While NP will have access to your HST essay, they will probably not be reading it.

Hmm interesting.. thanks so much! So I suppose it would be worth repeating some of what I say in two separate essays?

Hmm interesting.. thanks so much! So I suppose it would be worth repeating some of what I say in two separate essays?
If you want to talk about your research in the "what have you done since graduation" essay for Pathways, then it's fine to repeat information you included in the HST essay.

If you want to include your research in the "If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity" essay for Pathways, I would advise against it. That is not what that prompt is there for.

If you want to talk about your research in the "what have you done since graduation" essay for Pathways, then it's fine to repeat information you included in the HST essay.

If you want to include your research in the "If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity" essay for Pathways, I would advise against it. That is not what that prompt is there for.

I was going to mention it briefly in the "what have you done since graduation." :) Thanks so much, very helpful!

I just learned that Harvard wants letters of evaluation from all of your research supervisors. My committee letter has already been submitted and I have the one from my current supervisor, but I did not ask for one from the PI of the lab I worked in during the summer after freshman year, although I did write about that summer on AMCAS. Have I just destroyed my chances of getting an interview?

I just learned that Harvard wants letters of evaluation from all of your research supervisors. My committee letter has already been submitted and I have the one from my current supervisor, but I did not ask for one from the PI of the lab I worked in during the summer after freshman year, although I did write about that summer on AMCAS. Have I just destroyed my chances of getting an interview?
I didn't get a letter from the PI I worked with freshman year either and I got accepted, so no, you absolutely have not destroyed your chances at getting an interview.

Generally speaking, a committee letter trumps all LOR requirements from any school. Good luck with your cycle :)

I didn't get a letter from the PI I worked with freshman year either and I got accepted, so no, you absolutely have not destroyed your chances at getting an interview.

Generally speaking, a committee letter trumps all LOR requirements from any school. Good luck with your cycle :)
Phew, that's good to hear. Thank you! I could just ask my PI for one, but I think it would seem kind of random coming in late and separate from the rest of the packet haha.. We'll see how my advisors respond to my panicked email xD

Before asking questions, it would be a nice to read the previous posts in this thread. The issue of LORs from PIs has been discussed several times.

Thinking about applying here, CA resident, 3.8, 515.

Can anyone, esp current students, chime in as to what makes an applicant stand out enough to get an interview? I was SES disadvantaged, have a lot of community service, and grew up in a foreign country, wondering if that's interesting enough to make me stand out.

Thinking about applying here, CA resident, 3.8, 515.

Can anyone, esp current students, chime in as to what makes an applicant stand out enough to get an interview? I was SES disadvantaged, have a lot of community service, and grew up in a foreign country, wondering if that's interesting enough to make me stand out.
You won't know until you apply. There are some things that are obviously "stand-out" like being a national champion in something or national/international awards. Your story may be quite interesting or compelling--hard to say. There's a huge spectrum of "SES disadvantaged"...if you overcame homelessness then that would certainly be among the biggest standouts in that category. It's impossible to say without exact details and even with them, difficult to say unless it is something that truly WOWS you.

He has only 2 posts. The other one he erased last night and its title was about an MCAT of 510 and GPA of 3.79. So how could his LizzyM be 77???

Two questions, would love some help!

1. I'm taking a gap year, but since graduating, I've basically only studied for the MCAT, taken it, and moved back home. Should I instead talk about what I plan to do in my gap year?
2. I only very recently decided that I wanted to pursue medical school (about 1.5 years ago), which is why I'm taking a gap year. Because of this, I feel that some of my ECs are lacking in comparison to others, ex: I have research, but no publications. I still have great ECs, but maybe just not as much or as many hours as other candidates. I didn't talk about this in my primary application at all. Would this be something to talk about in the second optional prompt? Otherwise, I was planning to leave it blank.

Two questions, would love some help!

1. I'm taking a gap year, but since graduating, I've basically only studied for the MCAT, taken it, and moved back home. Should I instead talk about what I plan to do in my gap year?
2. I only very recently decided that I wanted to pursue medical school (about 1.5 years ago), which is why I'm taking a gap year. Because of this, I feel that some of my ECs are lacking in comparison to others, ex: I have research, but no publications. I still have great ECs, but maybe just not as much or as many hours as other candidates. I didn't talk about this in my primary application at all. Would this be something to talk about in the second optional prompt? Otherwise, I was planning to leave it blank.

1) Read the question. "If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation." Does that ask about anything related to your future plans? Perhaps a brief mention of your plans wouldn't be a bad idea depending on the plans (e.g. if you have a big international fellowship lined up or whatever) but you need to talk about what you've done.

2) No. Medicine is a marathon not a sprint. Nobody cares when you decided and nobody will give you bonus points nor feel bad for you for deciding later than others. You will be evaluated the same way as others and if you aren't up to par, then that is wholly your responsibility. Also, shouldn't it be clear from your PS and AMCAS when you decided on medicine...?

1) Read the question. "If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation." Does that ask about anything related to your future plans? Perhaps a brief mention of your plans wouldn't be a bad idea depending on the plans (e.g. if you have a big international fellowship lined up or whatever) but you need to talk about what you've done.

2) No. Medicine is a marathon not a sprint. Nobody cares when you decided and nobody will give you bonus points nor feel bad for you for deciding later than others. You will be evaluated the same way as others and if you aren't up to par, then that is wholly your responsibility. Also, shouldn't it be clear from your PS and AMCAS when you decided on medicine...?
I'm not asking for bonus points or pity, it is simply a fact of my application that I find makes my conviction to pursue medicine quite strong. I didn't mention it in my primary application because I focused on what drove me to medicine, not the specific timing of it and what I previously wanted to do. Besides, the prompt asks for "an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application."

@MaxPlancker Looking back on my original post I now see why it seems like I wanted bonus points. I really just meant to say that I didn't want to do medicine and now I do, and if that is an appropriate response.

What about a combination of both? I understand that they clearly want to know what we've done, but for those of us who recently graduated merely a few weeks ago that may not be much. Would it be appropriate to say what we've done and explain that we will be continuing it throughout the upcoming year? TIA!

My fellow classmate seems to be coming across a bit brusque in response to your questions @meOWzas (unintentionally, I'm sure!)... I didn't get the impression that you were searching for "bonus points"! To give you slightly warmer responses:

1) If you want to mention what you are doing in your gap year, do (this applies to you too @MDhopeful324)! I applied having 6 months of a 1.5-year gap under my belt and about to embark on the remaining 12 months. In this prompt, I included a few lines for what I'd done since graduating (which, like you, included taking the dreaded MCAT), and a few lines stating what I would be doing with the rest of my gap year. The people reading your application just want to know what you're doing with your time off, and unless you want to wait and leave it as a surprise for interviews, I don't see any harm in including future information so long as it is fixed (i.e. don't include anything that you haven't 100% committed to).

2) I wouldn't include this information in the optional prompt unless your reason is deeply personal and related to your family background/childhood. The recentness of your decision would be something you could bring up in your interview if you are given one, however! Also, in your primary essay, I'm sure you mentioned how you came to want to pursue a career in medicine -- my guess is that you implied a recent decision without explicitly stating it, anyway.

With the second prompt, I want to make a quick note that it does not always have to be used in the traditional sense (i.e. difficult childhood, underrepresented minority, etc.). I used this prompt to describe an aspect of my identity that relates to one of my specific interests in medicine and the population that I hope to serve in the future. One of my MD interviewers actually commented on it in a positive way. So while it is true that you can definitely do harm with this essay if you come across as whiny or grasping at straws, if there is something about yourself that relates to your interest in medicine and you want to share it, do!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users