2017-2018 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I realize this.

The point was that the person I was replying to implied that a 514 was a low stat applicant and Harvard took them in and therefore is evidence of their holisitic selection process, while other number based schools like NYU would have not admit their friend who scored a 514. But, I think a 514 is on the higher end of stats for someone who designated themselves as a URM and therefore cannot be used as a good example of Harvard's holistic process.

Someone who designated themselves? Your post seems good-natured tho and I already had a urm debate and don't want to have another one. But honestly it's all anecdotal. For example, I have a 523 MCAT, I'm URM, I've been told I've got a great story and I didn't get an interview at Harvard...so who knows huh

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Someone who designated themselves? Your post seems good-natured tho and I already had a urm debate and don't want to have another one. But honestly it's all anecdotal. For example, I have a 523 MCAT, I'm URM, I've been told I've got a great story and I didn't get an interview at Harvard...so who knows huh

Yeah I realized the assumption I made, URM have lower mcat scores than ORM applicants, would be really controversial. But it makes sense to me, since those applicants ussually had to go through more challenges.

Yeah admissions processes seem quite random...I guess there's no use to speculating about this since everyone will hear back 12 days.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who sat in on classes at Harvard, can you share your opinion on their learning style, particularly the PBL-type structure?
I like it a lot. Can't really imagine class that's all lecture based anymore.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
good luck everyone! whether it is this week or next its been an honor suffering with the rest of you.

Reactions: 14 users
good luck everyone! whether it is this week or next its been an honor suffering with the rest of you.
My Dude! I have suffered with you through all of the Mayo tragedy. I hope you get this one, you deserve it.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have reason to believe it’s this week besides that it fits a pattern from past years? Any people who interviewed recently who heard what date they’re aiming for, or any current students who have heard dates being thrown out there?

My Dude! I have suffered with you through all of the Mayo tragedy. I hope you get this one, you deserve it.
Thanks man! I hope so too good luck

Does anyone have reason to believe it’s this week besides that it fits a pattern from past years? Any people who interviewed recently who heard what date they’re aiming for, or any current students who have heard dates being thrown out there?
I’m only basing it off of last year they sent it out on March 3rd which was a Friday; however, they could send it out in the next week or two. Some one could call them..... (not it)

Calm down y’all. They first week of March. No need to bother them to ask for a specific date..

Last edited:
I’m only basing it off of last year they sent it out on March 3rd which was a Friday; however, they could send it out in the next week or two. Some one could call them..... (not it)

I believe MSAR (my subscription has apparently lapsed) said the earliest day they'd release decisions was March 2nd.

I believe MSAR (my subscription has apparently lapsed) said the earliest day they'd release decisions was March 2nd.
According to MSAR it says March 1 :) so even better!

According to MSAR it says March 1 :) so even better!
It's been the first Friday of March for the past several years, so hopefully we can expect it then. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
It's been the first Friday of March for the past several years, so hopefully we can expect it then. Best of luck to everyone!
I hope so too. Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Found this in the thread from last year and added on the 2017 date. Hopefully, it'll be this Friday. Good luck everyone!

2017: Friday, March 3
2016: Wednesday, March 2
2015: Tuesday, March 3
2014: Tuesday, March 4
2013: Monday, March 4
2012: Monday, March 5
2011: Thursday, March 3
2010: Monday, March 15
2009: Monday, March 16

Reactions: 3 users
Found this in the thread from last year and added on the 2017 date. Hopefully, it'll be this Friday. Good luck everyone!

2017: Friday, March 3
2016: Wednesday, March 2
2015: Tuesday, March 3
2014: Tuesday, March 4
2013: Monday, March 4
2012: Monday, March 5
2011: Thursday, March 3
2010: Monday, March 15
2009: Monday, March 16
I stand corrected! Best of luck to everyone, hopefully we'll all get good news soon - whether it's here or elsewhere.

Anyone know if it's via phone call for acceptances or all email? I honestly dislike the anticipation of waiting for any type of phone call; It is when telemarketers are at full force...

Anyone know if it's via phone call for acceptances or all email? I honestly dislike the anticipation of waiting for any type of phone call; It is when telemarketers are at full force...
All via email

Rejected by a couple of top 10 schools today...which means my chances of getting into Harvard med are much smaller now. Still holding out hope but starting to feel like there’s really no point

Rejected by a couple of top 10 schools today...which means my chances of getting into Harvard med are much smaller now. Still holding out hope but starting to feel like there’s really no point
A person I know only got into their state school and Harvard. There's still a chance!

Reactions: 7 users
A person I know only got into their state school and Harvard. There's still a chance!
How funny, I hold an acceptance to my state school and that’s it right now. Here’s hoping I’m as lucky as your friend!

How funny, I hold an acceptance to my state school and that’s it right now. Here’s hoping I’m as lucky as your friend!
+1; you're not alone. I wish you the best this Friday (or whenever we find out)!

+1; you're not alone. I wish you the best this Friday (or whenever we find out)!
Same to you! My state school is not a CA, TX, WA, or MI though (those schools are top tier on their own lol). Ah well, these things can be a crapshoot sometimes

Man, the level of neuroticism in future doctors is alarming :p

Reactions: 4 users
I’m holding on to just 2 WL spots. Unfortunately all the places I got interviewed at were either not OOS friendly or just super high ranked and haven’t released yet. Hang in there man we all got this. And what ever happens it was an honor to interview there at least

Reactions: 6 users
How soon after does HMS send a letter to those accepted after they are notified by email? I am contemplating whether I should ignore the email and see if I just get a letter in the mail instead.

How soon after does HMS send a letter to those accepted after they are notified by email? I am contemplating whether I should ignore the email and see if I just get a letter in the mail instead.

Do you have an email just for HMS admissions? Otherwise I feel like not checking emails for days at a time is a bad idea haha

Do you have a separate email for every school?! I thought they all used your AMCAS email.
No, I just have one separate email for all the schools. I just wanted to know if anyone who got accepted last year got a letter in the mail soon right after. I am trying to decide if I should check my email right away or wait to see if any physical mail comes.

Man possibly T-minus 2 days....wish I could fast forward time a bit.

At this point, it would be nice to hear stories of people getting waitlisted and rejected everywhere else, and then getting in here haha

At this point, it would be nice to hear stories of people getting waitlisted and rejected everywhere else, and then getting in here haha
yeah that would be really nice!

One of the students I emailed when looking for a host for my interview mentioned that she got rejected from 22 schools but still got into HMS, so there’s hope!

Reactions: 10 users
One of the students I emailed when looking for a host for my interview mentioned that she got rejected from 22 schools but still got into HMS, so there’s hope!

Do you know if she got off straight away or WL?

Amazing! I couldn't imagine what her app was like for this to occur

Amazing! I couldn't imagine what her app was like for this to occur
I can only assume it was so resplendently perfect that every other school in the country yield protected her.

EDIT: "OMG this girl is so H~O~L~I~S~T~I~C we have to interv...**** it she's probably just going to Hahvahd" -- Stanford probably

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
I can only assume it was so resplendently perfect that every other school in the country yield protected her.

EDIT: "OMG this girl is so H~O~L~I~S~T~I~C we have to interv...**** it she's probably just going to Hahvahd" -- Stanford probably

I'm dying

Hey guys, best of luck to everyone who applied! I was wondering, whenever you guys receive the email for your acceptions, can you guys post your GPA, mcat score and activities with hours, so that those that are applying for the next cycles would have at least an idea of the credentials of those who got accepted?

Tomorrow is march!!!

IMG_0165.JPG

This is not uncommon. I know a lot of students in my cohort with stories similar to this. A lot of it comes down to compelling "Why medicine?" stories.

I don't see how that can be the explanation. No offense but what medical school doesn't grow weak in the knees for a good "why medicine?" story?
Not going to call out specific schools for it, but a lot seem to care solely about MCAT scores. When you see that a lot of schools have <3.5 lower quartile GPA but have a median >95% MCAT I think it says a lot about what they're looking for in applicants (a one day test vs sustained 4 years of academic performance). Not to say that applicants with lower GPAs by any means aren't fit for medicine or don't have compelling stories or other credentials that make them good candidates. Harvard could easily have a much higher median MCAT, but it seems like they truly value your background and what you'll contribute to the school outside of your numbers, or at least that's the impression I had from my interview.

Not going to call out specific schools for it, but a lot seem to care solely about MCAT scores. When you see that a lot of schools have <3.5 lower quartile GPA but have a median >95% MCAT I think it says a lot about what they're looking for in applicants (a one day test vs sustained 4 years of academic performance). Not to say that applicants with lower GPAs by any means aren't fit for medicine or don't have compelling stories or other credentials that make them good candidates. Harvard could easily have a much higher median MCAT, but it seems like they truly value your background and what you'll contribute to the school outside of your numbers, or at least that's the impression I had from my interview.

This is pretty spot on. At least when I talk to admissions committee members, they seem to really care about crafting a friendly class with diverse experiences, who can all add to medicine in some way. There's a fair number of students who do not come from ivy league schools and do not have the archetypal premedical experience.

There's a second phase to the application process where a lot of people will be waitlisted and then accepted off the waitlist based on their written interest in Harvard and their background/experiences.

does anyone have an idea what WL movement is here? also, are we set on friday being the day :0O

A friend of mine at Harvard said he heard from MS1s that it’s towards the end of this week. He told me not to quote him but oh well.

A friend of mine at Harvard said he heard from MS1s that it’s towards the end of this week. He told me not to quote him but oh well.
you did not use quotes, I say that's sufficient ;)

These next two days are going to be rough...I just got an email from Microsoft and my heart skipped a beat.