2017-2018 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the admission packet in the mail today! ~7 hours away from Boston

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For WL applicants, are you submitting your response form via email or hard copy or both?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Might get some **** for this comparison but I have a somewhat serious question. I'm strongly considering (almost 100%) a 5th year, but I don't really intend on using it to get another degree, just to build my basic science resume in the hopes of landing a research oriented residency. I know Yale offers its MD students a tuition free 5th year, but based on the documentation I've received from Harvard, it sounds like a 5th year of any kind (any amount of time greater than 8 semester) will cost me nearly as much as any other year, although they SLIGHTLY reduce tuition. Can anyone speak to this, or whether it applies even if we aren't taking classes (and yes, I've emailed financial aid about it, but I figured the thoughts and opinions on here might be interesting)?

Hey amigos, I've been a bit of a stranger on these boards for a while (residency, ya know?), but I'm headed out to one of the HMS hospitals as a clinical fellow next year and it looks like I may be teaching some of you fine future physicians. Congrats! You're in for a truly transformative experience. It looks like the curriculum has changed a lot since my med school days, so I'm just as excited as you all to see what it's like.

Reactions: 3 users
About the FA portal, has anyone else noticed that their received date changed for some of their submitted documents? My FAFSA and CSS profile received dates changed from what they initially were.

Anyone with a sibling in college have their Sibling Enrollment Form say "waived" on the financial aid website for some reason?

Just withdrew from hst and pathway. Hope someone will get good news soon!

Tri-I Md/PhD. Was waitlisted for MD PhD at Harvard. Family and friends in New York.

Did they said we’d have our financial aid ready by revisit or did I make that up?

Has anyone received confirmation that their courses have fulfilled Harvard's prereqs?

Members don't see this ad :)
They have been willing to work with me regarding missing pre-reqs. If you get in touch with your admissions coordinator, they can tell you what you are missing (which is primarily based on the form you filled out at the interview). I haven't had any formal confirmation, but I'm wrapping up a pre-req still.
Thank you!

Anyone know if/where we have a Harvard University ID yet?

Has anyone received confirmation that their courses have fulfilled Harvard's prereqs?
If you email with your completed prereq sheet, they will let you know! I had to email twice before I got a response that mine were all good, and had to send in the syllabus for one of my classes before they accepted it.

If you email with your completed prereq sheet, they will let you know! I had to email twice before I got a response that mine were all good, and had to send in the syllabus for one of my classes before they accepted it.
Thank you! I emailed my admissions coordinator last week and got a response that I have successfully completed my premed courses (which I’m assuming means Harvard has accepted them).

How was everyone's aid? Pretty generous or not so much?

How was everyone's aid? Pretty generous or not so much?

Mine was the least generous I’ve received so far, by a LOT. I’m lucky to have a full COA merit scholarship elsewhere so I wasn’t likely going to attend anyway, but the abysmal financial aid really sealed the deal.

Edit: Just wanted to add that to be fair to Harvard, my family’s financial situation is very complicated (non-traditional household, chronically ill family members, etc). As a result, the aid packages I’ve received have been a little bit all over the place—so I don’t want anyone reading this to assume that as a rule Harvard is stingy! I’ll be formally withdrawing as soon as I have a chance to write the email, so I hope one of you gets my spot :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi SDN Community!

We’re so excited to share with you our music video parody this year, “Ready Not Ready,” featuring the HMS/HSDM Class of 2021, of Demi Lovato’s “Sorry Not Sorry.” Here is the link: READY NOT READY ft. Harvard Medical School & HSDM ("Sorry Not Sorry" Parody)

The video took several months to put together, but it was an incredibly fun process that included 120 members of our class as well as over 30 faculty. We hope you enjoy our parody, and congratulations to everyone for enduring a long and stressful application cycle.

Withdrew today! Hope it goes to one of you on the wait list!

Hi everyone! In light of recent events, I would love some people's thoughts about choosing Harvard over full tuition at another school. Might not be the best forum, but if anyone was in a similar position I would love some thoughts. Thanks!

yepp got a pathways MD offer off the WL today!

Has anyone received notification about required health forms?

It's in the offer packet. You can get the forms online, and will upload them once you create your HarvardKey in June.
Thank you. I must have missed that.

Anyone else feel like HMS has been awfully silent post 4/30?

Paranoia is kicking in as I think they silently withdrew my acceptance and everyone is getting their emails except for me...

But in all realness though, when are they going to send out info about orientation, white coat, etc.? Does anyone know?

Anyone else feel like HMS has been awfully silent post 4/30?

Paranoia is kicking in as I think they silently withdrew my acceptance and everyone is getting their emails except for me...

But in all realness though, when are they going to send out info about orientation, white coat, etc.? Does anyone know?

They had no new info as of last week

Can a current HMS student answer a few questions? It's been difficult to find some info thus far...

1. Are the rooms in Vanderbilt Hall big enough to fit a queen mattress (my room is on the larger size, >150 sq feet)? Do people often do this? Can't really imagine having a twin all year...
2. Do the rooms have closets? And if not, how do you hang jackets, suits, etc.?
3. Is there room in the fridges/freezers in the kitchens to store food and groceries?
4. Do the kitchens come equipped with cooking supplies (pots, pans, etc.), or should you buy your own?

Thank you!

Can a current HMS student answer a few questions? It's been difficult to find some info thus far...

1. Are the rooms in Vanderbilt Hall big enough to fit a queen mattress (my room is on the larger size, >150 sq feet)? Do people often do this? Can't really imagine having a twin all year...
2. Do the rooms have closets? And if not, how do you hang jackets, suits, etc.?
3. Is there room in the fridges/freezers in the kitchens to store food and groceries?
4. Do the kitchens come equipped with cooking supplies (pots, pans, etc.), or should you buy your own?

Thank you!
I read somewhere that they have pots and pans, but that they're usually gross so people tend to bring their own