2016-2017 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They send out secondaries in order of decreasing d### size. I'm sure I'll get mine by the end of next month.
Self-deprecating humor, I like it.

My secondary right away makes me feel special, then.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think this paranoia has gone a bit too far.... Shall we venture back into less inappropriate territory?
If you're going to be a physician get comfortable talking about things.

Deleted for others' sanity. Just highlighting that the exclusivity of the above metric

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
As long as we're being anatomically correct, the penis is, developmentally speaking, an outgrowth of the clitoris. Thus, you are still subject to the DizzyD score, it's just scaled down for the sake of diversity.

As long as we're being anatomically correct, the penis is, developmentally speaking, an outgrowth of the clitoris. Thus, you are still subject to the DizzyD score, it's just scaled down for the sake of diversity.
I recant my previous statement. I give up...

Members don't see this ad :)
No secondary. What's with schools not sending these to everyone all at once? Is that so hard?
according to case, mass emails tend to go to spam filters?

Reactions: 1 users
You're applying to DO and Harvard? lol

Without starting a war on MD vs. DO, yes. At the end of the day, I'll be a physician regardless of the two letters after my name. Harvard is quite a reach for me but it's only one of about five reaches. I have the time and money to put into applying to HMS so why not?

Reactions: 6 users
They give you a courses worksheet that you have to fill out with the courses that you've taken that fulfill the requirements. They verify it afterwards so my guess is you can't skip out on it but the requirements are not completely rigid. You don't have to have a course titled "Calculus" or "Statistics"...some engineering etc courses substitute for it at certain schools etc but you do need a course that teaches calculus and statistics. The acceptance letter also states that the acceptance is contingent on satisfying all the course reqs.
Do you fill this out only if you get an acceptance? Not seeing anywhere on the secondary where you fill this out.

Do you fill this out only if you get an acceptance? Not seeing anywhere on the secondary where you fill this out.
only if you get an interview. a new tab will pop up on your portal and there will be a link to the pdf. you print it out, fill it out, and bring it with you to the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received as well! Good luck everyone!

Without starting a war on MD vs. DO, yes. At the end of the day, I'll be a physician regardless of the two letters after my name. Harvard is quite a reach for me but it's only one of about five reaches. I have the time and money to put into applying to HMS so why not?

Oh no I completely agree with you, I just think you may be one of the only people to apply to both Harvard and DO. Just a side note, even though you're doing MD, DO, and Texas MD I somehow still have more schools on my list than you do lol. I'm doing AMCAS and TX MD :p

Anyone else see that their letters are marked as "not received?"
Most of the time when I first receive a secondary and look at my letters status they aren't marked as received. Within a few days all like 20 of my schools have eventually updated it. If you've had your letters successfully transmitted to at least one school you have nothing to worry about unless it's been like weeks.

Most of the time when I first receive a secondary and look at my letters status they aren't marked as received. Within a few days all like 20 of my schools have eventually updated it. If you've had your letters successfully transmitted to at least one school you have nothing to worry about unless it's been like weeks.
Oh, all right! Thanks for the reassurance!!

Dear SDN,

I am so sorry. I had no idea what I was creating.

Reactions: 2 users
Dear SDN,

I am so sorry. I had no idea what I was creating.
Now it can't be undone, and it can't be slowed down. What have you done..

Haha it's pretty ironic that all this childish nonsense is taking place on the Harvard thread, of all schools :rofl:

Reactions: 8 users
Serious question: how does one tackle this question in one answer field.....
"Number and ages of siblings:".... '1 23'

I put x siblings, age x
Yes that's perfect. It takes a while for LORs to be received and as mentioned above, the course requirement form is filled out and turned in on interview day.

For the prompt:

If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.

is it ok to talk about being jewish and how some aspect of it motivated me to pursue medicine? the reason why i ask is b/c it sounds like the prompt is only inviting marginalized minorities

@MaxPlancker

I wrote about how my membership in a minority religion influenced by desire to pursue medicine. I hope they don't hate me. Religion isn't perceived so favorably by many these days so it's risky but I just felt like it was such a big part of my background that if it kept me out of Harvard I wouldn't belong there anyway.

For the prompt:

If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.

is it ok to talk about being jewish and how some aspect of it motivated me to pursue medicine? the reason why i ask is b/c it sounds like the prompt is only inviting marginalized minorities

@MaxPlancker
I don't think that your topic would be inappropriate but I don't think it would be necessary since that should be covered in your PS if it's part of your Why medicine?

I left the topic blank. Optional prompts are truly optional and it looks negative if you try to put something down that isn't really what the prompt is for.

I don't think that your topic would be inappropriate but I don't think it would be necessary since that should be covered in your PS if it's part of your Why medicine?

I left the topic blank. Optional prompts are truly optional and it looks negative if you try to put something down that isn't really what the prompt is for.

You think it works in my situation? I feel like my religion is a big part of my identity and it strongly influenced my decision to pursue medicine.

+1

You think it works in my situation? I feel like my religion is a big part of my identity and it strongly influenced my decision to pursue medicine.
If it is important to you, then sure. Just don't write anything superficial.

I wrote about how my membership in a minority religion influenced by desire to pursue medicine. I hope they don't hate me. Religion isn't perceived so favorably by many these days so it's risky but I just felt like it was such a big part of my background that if it kept me out of Harvard I wouldn't belong there anyway.
why do you say religion isn't perceived so favorably by many these days? I too am considering writing about religion and talking about my experience with religious patients... it's also going in pretty much all of my diversity essays too

why do you say religion isn't perceived so favorably by many these days? I too am considering writing about religion and talking about my experience with religious patients... it's also going in pretty much all of my diversity essays too

For many, there are perceived conflicts of religion (esp. Christianity) with such groups as LGBT and such, whether fair or not. It's a generalization but it does exist. Sometimes we're also perceived as rigid and unwilling to change. I've done my best to dispel any notion of such tendencies in my essays and highlight what good qualities my religion has given me with respect to patient care. If you make sure to emphasize the ideal physician character qualities you got from religious experience you should be good - what I'm getting at is that it's just a topic you need to be careful with and frame it right.

Is it just me, or did you guys basically fill out nothing? I don't have anything to put for the minorities one, and am not taking a gap year. I feel like I'm missing something...?