2017-2018 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
D. If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.

E. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)

F. If you are re-applying, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since your previous application.

3. Our interview season runs from mid-September through January. Please indicate any significant (three or more weeks) restriction on your availability for interviews during this period. If none, leave blank.

HST Only: The HST MD program draws on the combined resources of Harvard and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for careers as physician-scientists across the full spectrum of disciplines including biological, physical and engineering sciences. HST classes are small, commonly include graduate students and have an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches, centered on understanding disease mechanisms and preparing students to solve unmet needs in medicine ranging from novel diagnostics and therapeutics to applications of ‘big data’ and systems engineering as they relate to healthcare. Please focus on how your interests, experiences and aspirations have prepared you for HST (rather than identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities). Limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12. (4000 char)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
Harvard Interview Feedback
Interviewed at Harvard? Complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Based on the secondary that was posted from the last cycle, it looks like the essay questions were optional. Is this the case? I feel like I address those topics in my primary and I do not want to regurgitate the same information.

Based on the secondary that was posted from the last cycle, it looks like the essay questions were optional. Is this the case? I feel like I address those topics in my primary and I do not want to regurgitate the same information.

They are entirely optional, and won't apply to many applicants! I did answer the 'what have you been doing since graduation' question, even though it was addressed in my primary. I just wrote something short and concise since I described the details in my AMCAS activities.

Also, I'm an incoming MS1 and happy to answer questions from anyone about the application process! Good luck guys!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
when were your amcas submission, verification, secondary, interview, and acceptance dates for harvard? :)

They are entirely optional, and won't apply to many applicants! I did answer the 'what have you been doing since graduation' question, even though it was addressed in my primary. I just wrote something short and concise since I described the details in my AMCAS activities.

Also, I'm an incoming MS1 and happy to answer questions from anyone about the application process! Good luck guys!! :)

Thank you! I'll PM some specific questions if you have time to answer them

when were your amcas submission, verification, secondary, interview, and acceptance dates for harvard? :)

Had to mine through my post history to find these dates....I submitted the first day AMCAS opened, and was verified three days later. Received my secondary on July 5th (everyone gets one, and the order in which they're sent out means nothing, so don't sweat it) and submitted the same day. Was complete mid-late August. Received my interview invitation in mid September, and interviewed early October.

I'm pathologically early, so I want to make it clear that just because I submitted my primary and secondary applications on the first days possible doesn't mean that you have to! Most people I know who were accepted submitted primaries in June or July, and secondaries anytime between July and mid September. Also, I know people with earlier interview dates than me who were rejected/waitlisted, and much later interview dates who were accepted, so don't worry if you get a late interview! Just make the most of it!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all! Quick question: for recommendation letters, does your research lab PI count as a science professor? I didn't take a formal class from him but I did get course credit.

Thanks, and good luck this application cycle!

Reactions: 1 users

What about the second question about "anything else you want to tell us"? Is that optional as well?

I am not well aware of the expectations in secondaries. Even though an essay topic is optional, I always ask "is it really optional"?

I'll tag along with my future classmate - @coffeeandcodeine. I can also answer questions via PM. I submitted primary mid june, received secondary early july. I sat on it for almost 4 weeks to make sure it was well refined. I was granted an earlier interview not long after - accepted in March with the main wave. I recommend not hurrying your essays, especially for your top few schools. IMO, your essays only get better with time, so I used some of my earlier schools to get my tone and rhetoric down

Reactions: 2 users
I'll tag along with my future classmate - @coffeeandcodeine. I can also answer questions via PM. I submitted primary mid june, received secondary early july. I sat on it for almost 4 weeks to make sure it was well refined. I was granted an earlier interview not long after - accepted in March with the main wave. I recommend not hurrying your essays, especially for your top few schools. IMO, your essays only get better with time, so I used some of my earlier schools to get my tone and rhetoric down

Which essays are you referring to? The one where "if you have extra information"?

Just commenting to get in on this thread. Good Luck everyone!

Had to mine through my post history to find these dates....I submitted the first day AMCAS opened, and was verified three days later. Received my secondary on July 5th (everyone gets one, and the order in which they're sent out means nothing, so don't sweat it) and submitted the same day. Was complete mid-late August. Received my interview invitation in mid September, and interviewed early October.

I'm pathologically early, so I want to make it clear that just because I submitted my primary and secondary applications on the first days possible doesn't mean that you have to! Most people I know who were accepted submitted primaries in June or July, and secondaries anytime between July and mid September. Also, I know people with earlier interview dates than me who were rejected/waitlisted, and much later interview dates who were accepted, so don't worry if you get a late interview! Just make the most of it!

I have to say. That cat icon is very cute, haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone here in the HST program or familiar with it? I'm interested in learning more!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone received secondaries yet?

Hi everyone!

I'm an incoming Pathways student (c/o 2021) who applied in the last AMCAS cycle, straight from undergrad. I received the secondary last year on July 05 and submitted it near the end of the month, interviewed in early December. Best of luck to everyone applying, if you have any questions about applying specifically to HMS or Pathways, feel free to reach out! ✨

Reactions: 3 users
Just commenting to get in on the thread

Pro-tip: to anyone that wants to "follow" a thread, you don't have to comment. On the top right, right above the thread, there's a "watch thread" option that includes email updates if you'd like; just click that!

Reactions: 7 users
Prompts: @Lucca

D. If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.

E. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)

F. If you are re-applying, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since your previous application.

3. Our interview season runs from mid-September through January. Please indicate any significant (three or more weeks) restriction on your availability for interviews during this period. If none, leave blank.

HST Only: The HST MD program draws on the combined resources of Harvard and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for careers as physician-scientists across the full spectrum of disciplines including biological, physical and engineering sciences. HST classes are small, commonly include graduate students and have an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches, centered on understanding disease mechanisms and preparing students to solve unmet needs in medicine ranging from novel diagnostics and therapeutics to applications of ‘big data’ and systems engineering as they relate to healthcare. Please focus on how your interests, experiences and aspirations have prepared you for HST (rather than identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities). Limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12. (4000 char)

Secondary is so short, wow. No essays on a scholarly project or anything? Surprising

Secondary is so short, wow. No essays on a scholarly project or anything? Surprising

Unless you're applying HST :arghh: Was not expecting this essay because it hadn't shown up on previous threads!

We have almost exact stats and I keep seeing you on the schools I applied to as well. Hope us stat-bros have a great cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Does Harvard send secondaries if your MCAT score hasn't been released yet?

Secondary received and submitted. One of the simpler secondaries I have come across. The no rolling admissions is nice too :). Wish you all the best of luck!

Was anyone also not able to put their undergrad school where it asked on the top of the second page?

Secondary received.

For the second essay (2E), are people really taking the "Many applicants will not need to answer this question" statement to heart? I was in graduate school and left before completing my degree--would it be appropriate to write about that here? It wasn't really a "significant challenge."

Anyone else having trouble clicking "section complete"? Seems like a dumb problem but my essay page won't register as complete for some reason o_O

u sure you're Harvard material ;)
Lol I seriously had that thought that somehow they're going to know I couldn't even figure out how to use their secondary and my app is going straight in the trash :laugh::laugh:

If none of the prompts apply to me, can I really just leave them all blank with no penalty? Is anyone else doing this/has done this successfully?

If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)

For the second essay (2E), are people really taking the "Many applicants will not need to answer this question" statement to heart? I was in graduate school and left before completing my degree--would it be appropriate to write about that here? It wasn't really a "significant challenge."

If none of the prompts apply to me, can I really just leave them all blank with no penalty? Is anyone else doing this/has done this successfully?

Secondary received. For that 2nd essay question, I'm not sure if I should answer it. I do have something I'd like to share but it's certainly not a significant challenge or something that makes me disadvantaged. It does have to do with an ORM culture and has influenced my motivation for medicine. Should I include that essay here or just leave it blank? Super confused.

Prompts: @Lucca

Is this for MD application? Can anybody on the thread who received one for MDPhD share?

This Harvard secondary makes me so happy. Why isn't every school like this. Looks like they use the primary very heavily in their decisions. Unlike those schools that make you restate everything

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else play the Game of Thrones theme in their head when they first saw the HMS email hahaha.

Like I know that everyone gets a secondary, but what if...?