2016-2017 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know the deadline for submitting update letters??

Since the last interview day is allegedly tomorrow, I would say your update is futile.

You can back read on this thread if you want to decide for yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Since the last interview day is allegedly tomorrow, I would say your update is futile.

You can back read on this thread if you want to decide for yourself.

...?
I've actually already interviewed. Does anyone know the last day to submit POST-INTERVIEW updates?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
...?
I've actually already interviewed. Does anyone know the last day to submit POST-INTERVIEW updates?

Informally I've heard that they start to review all interviewed applicants in February, so I'd try to get it in before the end of January?

Just wanted to confirm that today was the last Pathways interview -- heard it straight from admissions today. While they didn't explicitly talk about HST, they seemed to imply that they didn't have any more days, either.

Just wanted to confirm that today was the last Pathways interview -- heard it straight from admissions today. While they didn't explicitly talk about HST, they seemed to imply that they didn't have any more days, either.

Did they say how many interviews they ended up offering?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did they say how many interviews they ended up offering?

Last year's stats:
Applicants: 7,069
Interviews: 842
Entrants: 165

I believe they said it was around the same this year.

Did anyone get the interview survey e-mail for the second time?

Edit: Nvm, it was on behalf of multicultural affairs this time.

I didn't get any other besides the one today from ORMA.

Edit: I lied lol. Just searched inbox. I guess I did receive it but never did it.

Did anyone not receive the request? I wonder who receive these second interview surveys. Neuroticism kicking in.. :depressed:

Did anyone not receive the request? I wonder who receive these second interview surveys. Neuroticism kicking in.. :depressed:
No no.... please let's not freak out. I think it was an extra thing for URM to make sure the interview day went well, since they arranged for us to meet with URM students that day. Nothing to fret over. Sorry for starting that fire....

No no.... please let's not freak out. I think it was an extra thing for URM to make sure the interview day went well, since they arranged for us to meet with URM students that day. Nothing to fret over. Sorry for starting that fire....

haha no worries! best of luck to the both of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has already been mentioned. But anyone know the exact date decisions will likely be coming out this year?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. But anyone know the exact date decisions will likely be coming out this year?

I believe they are due the first week of March, not sure if there is an exact date in that week though

Is it too late to send an update letter in? (Oh, the allures of procrastination.)

Reactions: 1 users
Is it too late to send an update letter in? (Oh, the allures of procrastination.)

I interviewed in mid-Jan and wanted to wait until mid-Feb to send in a letter...can I still send one in?

Earlier in the thread someone talked about the process.

During interview season, your interviewers decide to pass you on to the committee or reject.

Then in February a new committee is formed and so on.

It's probably too late for the letter, but you can write one to send in if you get wait-listed.

Everyone is rejected together when decisions are released in March. It is not a rolling admissions school.
And to add to that, the interview season is unfortunately over for this cycle.

And to add to that, the interview season is unfortunately over for this cycle.

Thank you. I knew it was obviously a long shot but had to try at least. Also, how did you learn the interview season was over?

Thank you. I knew it was obviously a long shot but had to try at least. Also, how did you learn the interview season was over?

Go back a page -- last interview was on 1/23

I interviewed on the last date and they told us that it was the last date!

just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long the waitlist is? i feel like yield here is so high that most people who aren't accepted are rejected?

just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long the waitlist is? i feel like yield here is so high that most people who aren't accepted are rejected?

From what I have heard, only a few schools like UPenn and Stanford will compete in the same pool of students. This is just a guess, but the wait list is probably around 100 students.

Also according to US news stats from last year, Harvard interviewed 813, accepted 225, and matriculated 165, meaning about 60 students came off the wait list.

From what I have heard, only a few schools like UPenn and Stanford will compete in the same pool of students. This is just a guess, but the wait list is probably around 100 students.

Also according to US news stats from last year, Harvard interviewed 813, accepted 225, and matriculated 165, meaning about 60 students came off the wait list.

How do you figure 60 came off the waitlist? I think they also outright over accept.

How do you figure 60 came off the waitlist? I think they also outright over accept.

Oh, I didn't consider that. I just assumed they accepted their class and added 60 afterward. Why do you think they over accept from the get go?

Oh, I didn't consider that. I just assumed they accepted their class and added 60 afterward. Why do you think they over accept from the get go?
Every school over accepts because not everyone accepted will attend due to multiple factors (scholarships elsewhere, better location/closer to family, better fit elsewhere, etc)

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Every school over accepts because not everyone accepted will attend due to multiple factors (scholarships elsewhere, better location/closer to family, better fit elsewhere, etc)

I doubt Harvard does it to the extent other schools do, though. I think somewhere in the range of 80% of their acceptances matrriculate, which is a good bit higher than other schools.

I doubt Harvard does it to the extent other schools do, though. I think somewhere in the range of 80% of their acceptances matrriculate, which is a good bit higher than other schools.
I agree. I just think people have this notion that no one turns down an acceptance to Harvard, but I would choose a full or even (large) partial tuition/COA scholarship to another school over Harvard

I agree. I just think people have this notion that no one turns down an acceptance to Harvard, but I would choose a full or even (large) partial tuition/COA scholarship to another school over Harvard

I understand

Exactly.

I also doubt they want to pull 60 people off of the waitlist, that is much less efficient, and more than 1/3 of their class. They would be waiting until May to begin and the returns will diminish, even with it being Harvard because people will have settled on other places and get their affairs in order.

Other schools that pull 60 people off the waitlist are considered having great waitlist movement. From the students I spoke to, and looking at past threads here, there isn't much waitlist movement at Harvard... and the waitlist is small, as we know. We would def know if 1/3 of the class historically comes from the waitlist, that's SDN gold info.

It's Harvard, but they're still competing with the other top schools. I would guess, given the lack of merit scholarships and other factors, they see reasonable competition from the top 15 schools overall.

True. I also think the housing situation is crappy in Boston, and that would play a factor in my final decision (should I be so lucky as to have been accepted by these schools).

lol I basically panicked for a second when I saw an email from HMS and then it was like "yo, give us your SSN please. thanks homie."

By the way, the email said that admissions decisions will be given in the first week of March, and they are currently busy with committee meetings (as the interview season is over, as has been mentioned elsewhere).

Reactions: 5 users
lol I basically panicked for a second when I saw an email from HMS and then it was like "yo, give us your SSN please. thanks homie."

By the way, the email said that admissions decisions will be given in the first week of March, and they are currently busy with committee meetings (as the interview season is over, as has been mentioned elsewhere).

So.... is it a bad sign if I didn't get this email? Lol

No email here haha

I mean... did you already give them your SSN? You probably did lol. In your "Interview" tab, there's an "additional information" section where you're supposed to give your SSN. If you already gave it, you're good. I'm just kinda dumb and never submitted it.

+1 just got the email as well.

... the email said that admissions decisions will be given in the first week of March, and they are currently busy with committee meetings (as the interview season is over, as has been mentioned elsewhere).

Did it mention if it would be the first full week of March, or just the first week?

Did it mention if it would be the first full week of March, or just the first week?
If I recall correctly, decisions have been released on March 2nd for the last several years. I'm assuming it will be during the first week.

Can't believe we are so close to D-Day... interview seems like it was so long ago. Cray cray

Reactions: 5 users
It seems like yesterday for me tbh. probably because i replayed the interview 1000x in my head from then to now

Lol I'm glad I just let go of it after I walked off campus. I also think I rather the non-rolling process because I've been able to completely put it out of my head for months.

Lol I'm glad I just let go of it after I walked off campus. I also think I rather the non-rolling process because I've been able to completely put it out of my head for months.

I agree. I haven't been able to completely put it out of my head, but at least I haven't been refreshing my email constantly expecting to hear from them. I hate the schools where you could literally hear whenever within a range of several months. The single email within a narrow range of time is definitely the way to go.

It seems like yesterday for me tbh. probably because i replayed the interview 1000x in my head from then to now

Well, one of my interviews was literally yesterday (not Harvard, obviously), so...

I agree. I haven't been able to completely put it out of my head, but at least I haven't been refreshing my email constantly expecting to hear from them. I hate the schools where you could literally hear whenever within a range of several months. The single email within a narrow range of time is definitely the way to go.

Agree 1000%. Don't need that sort of stress.

Is there a correlation between acceptances at other top schools and HMS admissions? Just wondering if the average HMS accepted gets into numerous top 10s or if it is as random as it would be at other top 10s for multiple acceptances. (Just feeling unsure because of recent rejections/waitlists at other top schools)