2016-2017 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol I was wondering the same thing. Is today really a lost cause?

I don't think necessarily. They've released decisions in the PM before.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I called and they said sometime next week. :(

Reactions: 4 users
I have a feeling it'll be today.

That being said, I've got like three hours of cell culture experiments today, so I'm proly gonna be under a hood if/when they come out. .

Members don't see this ad :)
Meanwhile admissions is like:
c464ed8f58452867ebca66942ad980ad.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
If it'll be anything like previous years, we'll see waves of emails sent out throughout the course of one day. Acceptances go out first in a single wave. WL/rejections go out at various times after that. In previous years, you could tell you were WL/rejected if you didn't get the first wave email :(

I'm anticipating that rough situation for myself, but at least we'll know sooner instead of waiting all day while acceptances go out to other people by phone calls.

As we wait in suspense...Can anyone speak from experience or hearsay about what it's like living in the area around the medical campus? Do most students live in Brookline within walking/biking distance? Do people commute from other areas of Boston?

As we wait in suspense...Can anyone speak from experience or hearsay about what it's like living in the area around the medical campus? Do most students live in Brookline within walking/biking distance? Do people commute from other areas of Boston?

And also how ridiculous rent is, as I'm sure it's a whopper in Boston and especially by the school.

From what I gathered, a majority of first years live in Vandy since it is remarkably convenient (although very much like a freshman dorm). Those who live off campus will tend to live near Fenway, Brookline, etc. Since by second year everyone is doing clinical rotations, people will move to be near MGH or Cambridge if they have rotations near there.

Yeah, Vandy seems pretty nice and really convenient. I'm married though, so I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment and hoping to stay in the same place all four years. I wonder if I should pick something near school or near MGH... Or maybe neither depending on the news ;)

Yeah, Vandy seems pretty nice and really convenient. I'm married though, so I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment and hoping to stay in the same place all four years. I wonder if I should pick something near school or near MGH... Or maybe neither depending on the news ;)
I work at MGH now and can tell you that you don't want to have to commute from the area around MGH to HMS every day during your first year; the green line is an abomination. And there are several Harvard-affiliated hospitals right next to HMS (Children's, BI, BWH, Dana Farber, etc.) so you'll likely have some rotations there as well. Additionally, rent is much cheaper in the Brookline/JP/Fenway area than in Beacon Hill/West End/North End, which are closest to MGH

THEY LIED ABOUT NEXT WEEK AND I'VE NEVER BEEN SO OK WITH BEING LIED TO IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! Living the dream, email at 10:14 am.

Reactions: 11 users
THEY LIED ABOUT NEXT WEEK AND I'VE NEVER BEEN SO OK WITH BEING LIED TO IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! Living the dream, email at 10:14 am.

Dang. For real? Congrats, that's awesome.

I assume they're all sent at once, so if my inbox is empty, that means rejection or waitlist, correct?

WHAT! congrats!! what program?

it seems like in previous years they've done acceptances for HST/pathways/MSTP all at different times

bruh is this kid playing? no one else has posted an acceptance..

congrats if you are not!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone without an email yet checked their portal? Maybe they've updated there but emails are delayed.

Has anyone without an email yet checked their portal? Maybe they've updated there but emails are delayed.

No update here. If anyone wants to call the admissions office to confirm today is the day, they can. I unfortunately can't make a phone call at this time.

My husband was accepted to the HST program this morning (via email), so I think today is definitely the day!

Reactions: 1 users
My husband was accepted to the HST program this morning (via email), so I think today is definitely the day!
Ah, so maybe they've just sent out the emails for HST? Smaller interview pool + class size = less people posting on SDN.

It's times like these that I wish I avoided SDN! I could have been blissfully unaware :(

PSA: If you got in, it would be awesome if you could tell us what program/what time the email was sent :)

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!! Pathways. Email at 10:46

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
accepted Pathways 10:48!! currently scream-crying

Reactions: 5 users
I gotta say, my expectations weren't very high, but the sting of the silence is real.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm more jelly that a pb&j sandwich, but happy for you all!!!!

Accepted. So grateful.

Reactions: 7 users