2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone interviewed yet?
today was the 1st interview day at fiu.

really liked it here! :) low stress, conversational interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey!! Congrats on your interview! I hope everything went well. If it's okay that I ask, did they particularly ask you questions about healthcare policies and ethics or is it mainly the stuff you did? And did you get two faculty interviewers? Thanks so much in advance! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed today. It was really a fantastic day. They say its low stress and they mean it. Great program with great people.

Congrats... anything special you can share ... ec's, urm, nontrad, or something else ? Thanks for your help. Am hoping for an II and again grays to you

Hey!! Congrats on your interview! I hope everything went well. If it's okay that I ask, did they particularly ask you questions about healthcare policies and ethics or is it mainly the stuff you did? And did you get two faculty interviewers? Thanks so much in advance! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

thank you! Mostly stuff that I did. One was an M2 and one was faculty. thanks again :)

Congrats... anything special you can share ... ec's, urm, nontrad, or something else ? Thanks for your help. Am hoping for an II and again grays to you

thank you. I have strong ECs and am IS

For those who interviewed Monday, I was the idiot student making all the jokes in the student lounge.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any tips for the interview? I'm going on 10/3 and am kinda freaking out about it haha
Relax and be yourself (as cliche as that is) Very low stress questions. Its absolutely just a conversation to get to know you.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any tips for the interview? I'm going on 10/3 and am kinda freaking out about it haha

As said before, relax. You're going to have fun enjoying the tour (especially our sweet Panther Learning Community lounges). Know this, you're special at this point, our school is interested in you and wants to get to know you more. Let that fact calm you. Please do yourself a favor and read HWCOM's mission statement and read about the community programs we're doing here. Think about how those programs reflect your own values and goals and then discuss that with your interviewer. You are almost guaranteed to receive the question of "why FIU?". I had a good answer for that and it's one of the reasons I chose FIU over other places. FIU is geared towards tackling Miami's urban population problems and bridging the gap between socioeconomic classes and delivery of healthcare. One of the most interesting things I've learned about while here in school is that zip code is one of the largest indicators of mortality in our city. Let that sink in and then think about how an education from FIU would help you as a physician to combat that fact.

Reactions: 2 users
My stats are pretty damn low too GPA wise. I did attend FIU for undergrad which could mean why they reviewed me a little sooner than others. If you completed two weeks later though you're pretty much on the same track.
Any update yet? My status is still secondary completed.

Members don't see this ad :)
They just interviewed a pool of people and are most likely busy reviewing them now. The next wave of interview invites will take some time to go out I believe. Let us all practice patience and utter a collective "OMMMMMMMMMM."

They just interviewed a pool of people and are most likely busy reviewing them now. The next wave of interview invites will take some time to go out I believe. Let us all practice patience and utter a collective "OMMMMMMMMMM."

There are 3 more interview sessions this month including this Monday. In all, there are a lot of interview dates left. Everyone relax, FIU's not even a 4th of the way through the interview dates available.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone mind sharing how long their status was on "Preliminary Review Completed" before getting an interview invite?

Anyone mind sharing how long their status was on "Preliminary Review Completed" before getting an interview invite?
Like mentioned before in this thread, it really fluctuates. Those with Lizzy M's of 70 plus submit and get II within two weeks. Wait until Thanksgiving to start freaking out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

I did my undergrad at FIU, submitted my secondary Sep 12 and I checked my status today and it says "preliminary review completed". My friend who also graduated from FIU submitted Sep 2 and her status is still "secondary application completed". I have no idea how they go about this. :shrug:

I did my undergrad at FIU, submitted my secondary Sep 12 and I checked my status today and it says "preliminary review completed". My friend who also graduated from FIU submitted Sep 2 and her status is still "secondary application completed". I have no idea how they go about this. :shrug:
I believe the "preliminary review completed" status comes before receiving a interview. It doesn't necessary mean you will receive one but it does show your application is further down the review process.

Good luck to those who interviewed today. Quite a lot of you out here today. If anyone has any questions regarding the school or the interviews, feel free to pm me. Also, if you're on campus on interview day (or the day before) and find yourself freaking out/need a friend, feel free to pm me and I'll see what I can do meet up and give you a pep talk. I'm almost always on campus. Good luck.

Good luck to those who interviewed today. Quite a lot of you out here today. If anyone has any questions regarding the school or the interviews, feel free to pm me. Also, if you're on campus on interview day (or the day before) and find yourself freaking out/need a friend, feel free to pm me and I'll see what I can do meet up and give you a pep talk. I'm almost always on campus. Good luck.
youtherealmvp.jpg

Have had "Secondary Application Completed" status since 7/7, LizzyM of 72, IS
Would calling the school and asking if they're missing anything be a waste of time?

Were there any tricky questions that threw anyone off?

Would calling the school and asking if they're missing anything be a waste of time?

I made 1 tactical call to the school. I had an issue with the submission of my application at a different school and used that as an excuse to call them and make sure everything went through fine.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does FIU accept letter of updates such as additional recommendation letters?

Yes they do. You have to do it through their portal. They explicitly state that don't accept updates in any other way besides the portal.

Does anyone know if the "preliminary review completed" is significant? Like does that mean they just checked that you made their minimum requirements, or do they do a more comprehensive review?

Does anyone know if the "preliminary review completed" is significant? Like does that mean they just checked that you made their minimum requirements, or do they do a more comprehensive review?
+1, does this mean you have a rejection or interview coming soon? Or just that you're on standby for some unknown period?

+1, does this mean you have a rejection or interview coming soon? Or just that you're on standby for some unknown period?

"Preliminary review complete" means exactly what it says. The adcom will continue to look at your file until they make a decision. I hate to say it, but you've just got to wait. You could be under that status for months and even until March before you get an interview. For now, take "preliminary review complete" to mean that you're still in the game.

"Secondary application completed" since 6/28.... I really don't want to bother adcom but should I? I'm OOS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Happy acceptance month everybody!! Waiting for the 15th is torture:arghh:

Yes, it means everything is complete but it has not been reviewed yet. Just be patient. I have been in prelim review for awhile now but I submitted back in July.

Yes, it means everything is complete but it has not been reviewed yet. Just be patient. I have been in prelim review for awhile now but I submitted back in July.
Haha yeah I know, but at least you are in prelim review. I haven't even gotten that yet. And I was submitted before.

Hey guys, I was prelimary review complete for 2 months, this was my first application submitted and I finally got an interview invite 2 days ago! This appears to be pretty random in regards to time line.

It's still so early, don't lose hope!

FIU alum, Lizzy M 68. Non-trad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they release more interview dates? Theres 2 available rn but I was hoping to go to a little later date.
Thanks!

Hey guys, I was prelimary review complete for 2 months, this was my first application submitted and I finally got an interview invite 2 days ago! This appears to be pretty random in regards to time line.

It's still so early, don't lose hope!

FIU alum, Lizzy M 68. Non-trad.

Agreed. Just got an II today and as of Friday I'm almost positive my status was still "secondary application complete" so not sure what happened there but so excited! I was complete 9/12.

Agreed. Just got an II today and as of Friday I'm almost positive my status was still "secondary application complete" so not sure what happened there but so excited! I was complete 9/12.

Congrats r u IS??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My portal now says admissions committe review completed...ahh the wait

What is the general consensus on how long it seems to take for the status to be updated/reviewed after submitting? I know it is highly dependent on a lot of different things, but just trying to get a rough estimate.