2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone still at secondary application complete? Sent some updates but...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
does fiu take off the waitlist throughout the cycle or do they wait until the april 30 multiple acceptance deadline?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still at Preliminary Review Completed since 12/8......
FIU needs to hire more people, so that they read and make some decisions. It is not acceptable to wait this long. I completed my secondary application in August!

I'm still at Preliminary Review Completed since 12/8......

Early July for me LOL... It just says "secondary completed" which is even worse. It hasn't been glanced at.

Reactions: 2 users
Early July for me LOL... It just says "secondary completed" which is even worse. It hasn't been glanced at.

I read here and there on this thread from current students to current applicants that some went from secondary completed to II and others from prelim to II so it seems that is is either or and no rhyme or reason. Alas, one wonders why have the status anyways ;)

What is the deal of this school with Antigua in the Caribbean?

II just barely. I kinda forgot about this school. Not sure if I'll be attending. Looks like the last interview date is March 24th.

Reactions: 3 users
II just barely. I kinda forgot about this school. Not sure if I'll be attending. Looks like the last interview date is March 24th.

If you don't go, I'll be more than happy to go for you. XD

Members don't see this ad :)
@Anxious Affect I know you were at secondary complete status so did you contact them or did it just happen the next day lol? Congrats!

@Anxious Affect I know you were at secondary complete status so did you contact them or did it just happen the next day lol? Congrats!

I did call them, and they said that they were still reviewing a lot of applications. I would recommend checking in if you are still at "Secondary Complete" status...

I am very excited, this is one of my top choices!

I did call them, and they said that they were still reviewing a lot of applications. I would recommend checking in if you are still at "Secondary Complete" status...

Thanks, I appreciate it and goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when scholarship information gets sent out? I guess it's a no for the Diversity Scholarship essay as I sent it out in December? Lol

... I called and they told me that pretty much they were done ... :9 Little to no hope!

Applications are still under review.

Reactions: 3 users
... I called and they told me that pretty much they were done ... :9 Little to no hope!
I emailed them at the end of January, and they said that interviews will be conducted until the end of March. I am assuming that if we haven't been rejected yet, we are all still contenders for interviews.

Hey everyone,
I interviewed at FIU on January 30th, and was told we would hear back the week of Feb 20th about their decision. The week of the 20th has now come and gone, and I am unsure if something is wrong or if I just misheard the date. Is there anyone on here that interviewed with me or after Jan 30th who have already heard back?
First check your portal status. If you don't have Alternate List or Accepted, I would give them a call and ask.

Hey everyone,
I interviewed at FIU on January 30th, and was told we would hear back the week of Feb 20th about their decision. The week of the 20th has now come and gone, and I am unsure if something is wrong or if I just misheard the date. Is there anyone on here that interviewed with me or after Jan 30th who have already heard back?

It's not just you. I also had Feb 21 written down on my notes from Interview day (interviewed same day as you) but that turned out to be the day when my status changed to "Admissions Committee Scheduled".

Been following this thread for a while and I think that means we'll get a decision in two weeks from 21st? So my guess would be that we will hear back sometime next week !

Hope this helps

To anyone still at "Primary Review Completed" or something similar, are we pretty much done? It's March 13th and still haven't heard anything.....

To anyone still at "Primary Review Completed" or something similar, are we pretty much done? It's March 13th and still haven't heard anything.....
I just got put on preliminary review complete last week and I've been complete since 9/22

... I am hopeless, sad, frustrated, broke !

I know chances may feel slim for some but there is still one more interview date in late March

does anyone happen to have a link to the match list from 2015? just wanted to take a look but can't find it!

Any third years available to comment a little bit about their experiences with rotations? How are they selected and in which order which student gets which site? Any downfalls to not having an official teaching hospital? Thank you!

Any third years available to comment a little bit about their experiences with rotations? How are they selected and in which order which student gets which site? Any downfalls to not having an official teaching hospital? Thank you!
I thought West Kendall Baptist Hospital was our teaching hospital. Off the top of my head, I know we have FIU residency positions there and Kendall Regional Hospital. I'm not a third year, but I have not heard of lack of hospital time as being a complaint yet.

I thought West Kendall Baptist Hospital was our teaching hospital. Off the top of my head, I know we have FIU residency positions there and Kendall Regional Hospital. I'm not a third year, but I have not heard of lack of hospital time as being a complaint yet.

WKBH is not really a "teaching hospital". Just because they have a FM residency does not really classify them as a teaching hospital. Same with KRH, Adventura, etc. The only true teaching hospital that we are required to rotate at is Miami/Nicklaus Children's Hospital. I think most people have a positive experience at MCH in terms of getting exposure to academia. The other rotation sites are completely hit or miss depending on what field it is and what you want to get out of the rotation. You select the order of your clerkships via a lottery system and most of the time you can give preferences to your site that you want. Word of mouth will give you the experience that you are looking for. For example, if you want to work your ass off doing 80-100 hrs/week in surgery you can choose that. If you want to coast and do 30 hrs/week there is that option as well. The only true benefit to our system is that you get much more "hands on" experience in the clerkship as there are no residents/fellows to fight for procedures with. You will be first assist in all of your surgery/OB cases and have the opportunity to perform beside procedures (central lines, thora/paracentesis, etc) if you want to give them a try. That is extremely rare for 3rd/4th years. Downside is that most of the people you will work with (there are always the exceptions in specific specialties) are unknown community doctors that won't have any weight in your letters for residency. Most people aiming to do competitive specialties have to do multiple away rotations in order to get letters.

Thank you a TON for your feedback! Much appreciated! :)

Anyone hear of WL movement lately? Looking back at last year's thread it seems like it only happened in July :/

Anyone hear of WL movement lately? Looking back at last year's thread it seems like it only happened in July :/

July??? But..but..the email says before April 30th. Or am I reading it wrong?

July??? But..but..the email says before April 30th. Or am I reading it wrong?
April 30th is the day when you have to choose one acceptance if you have multiple. But as far as WL movement, I thought I read mid July from last year's FIU thread. Maybe FIU needed time to go through the WL?

anyone have the match list from Friday?! excited to check it out

Also, question for medical students.. does having a non P/F curriculum have any negative consequences? Like more competition between classmates or anything along those lines?

Florida International University HWCOM Match List 2017

Anesthesiology 7

Boston University
Jackson Memorial
Johns Hopkins
Montefiore Med Center/Einstein
NYU
U Southern California
UPMC

Emergency Medicine 3
Carolinas Med Ctr
NYU
U Cincinnati Med Ctr

Family Medicine 7
Eisenhower Army Med Ctr
Greater Lawrence Family Health
U Colorado SOM
U South Florida Morsani COM
U Texas at Austin
West Kendall Regional
Womack Army Medical Center

General Surgery 7
Baylor
Indiana University SOM
LSU SOM
Medical University of SC
Rutgers
U Tennessee
U Texas Health Science Center

Internal Medicine 19
Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Emory
George Washington U
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr
Hofstra-Northwell SOM
Icahn SOM Beth Israel
Icahn SOM St. Luke's
INOVA Fairfax
Jackson Memorial
Mayo Clinic
Memorial Health-University
Mt. Sinai
Naples Community Hospital
U Arizona
U Florida - Shands
U Iowa
UCSF

Medicine - Preliminary 1
Icahn SOM Beth Israel

Neurological Surgery 4
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr
SUNY Upstate
University of Utah

OB/GYN 7
Jackson Memorial
Maimonides Med Center
Medical University of SC
NYP Weill Cornell
St. Barnabas
Tulane U SOM
Vanderbilt

Ophthalmology 4
Boston University
Georgetown U
Medical College Virginia
Sinai Hospital, Baltimore

Orthopaedic Surgery 8
Hofstra-Northwell SOM
LSU SOM
Maimonides Med Center
Mayo Clinic
Montefiore Med Center/Einstein
Orlando Health
U Arizona
U Mass

Otolaryngology 2
Rutgers
U New Mexico

Pathology 1
U Florida - Shands

Pediatrics 9
Baylor
Children's National Med Center
Medical University of SC
Nicklaus Children's Hospital
Ohio State
Rhode Island Hospital
U Florida - Shands
UC Irvine

Physical Medicine 1
Emory

Psychiatry 8
Jackson Memorial
LSU SOM
Medical University of SC
U Arizona
U Colorado SOM
U Florida - Shands
Vanderbilt
Walter Reed

Radiology - Diagnostic 6
Albany Medical Center
Florida Hospital
Jackson Memorial
U Chicago
U Mass
U Michigan

Surgery - Preliminary 2
Mt. Sinai
Rush University

Urology 1
Mt. Sinai

i counted 97 total. i thought class size was at least over 110

i counted 97 total. i thought class size was at least over 110
I assume the difference would be dropouts/those who weren't promoted/those who didn't match. I also left out a couple of people who only had prelim medicine matches but no advanced positions.