2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was waitlisted earlier this month and planning on writing a LOI. I live about an hour away so is it worth it to hand deliver it to their Admissions department as opposed to sending it in through email?

Was waitlisted earlier this month and planning on writing a LOI. I live about an hour away so is it worth it to hand deliver it to their Admissions department as opposed to sending it in through email?
If I was you, I would drop it off myself and I think admissions will probably appreciate the effort. One of the students in this forum dropped off LOI and a week later received an interview. Plus they probably receive so many emails

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted update and went from "secondary submitted" to "preliminary review completed." I emailed the admissions office and they said that interviews will be held until the end of March. Anyone else waiting on an II?

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted update and went from "secondary submitted" to "preliminary review completed." I emailed the admissions office and they said that interviews will be held until the end of March. Anyone else waiting on an II?

Me! Really hoping for a II here!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I also live about an hour away but I sent my LOI through snail mail as opposed to sending an email or dropping it off at the office, not sure whats better though.

Still secondary application not reviewed. They say they'll review all applications before interview season. Their last interview will be in April so I'm guessing the last interview invitation will be sent by the end of February. I think I have a pretty decent shot at an interview so i dont know why they are slacking. Hoping they don't forget my app. I didn't pay secondary fee but still... i deserve a shot.

Do you guys think I should dress professionally when I drop off my update letter/letter of intent at the admissions office? Or would nice shirt/jeans be okay? I don't want to seem too desperate. Lol

I would say business casual, not full suit and not jeans.

Okay, thank you! That's what I'll do. It's so late in the cycle and I haven't heard anything from any school. I would just like to know if I'm rejected at this point so I can stop checking every day. Lol :help:

Reactions: 1 users
My LizzieM score is near 70, I submitted my secondary in July, and I had my status changed to preliminary review completed. I logged into the app only to find this error message :

Thank you for your interest in the Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. Unfortunately, Secondary Applications cannot be accepted now since the deadline to submit the HWCOM Secondary Application for regular admissions was January 14, 2017.

I called and emailed them and received no answer via either. Not only am I freaking out due to lack of II thus far, now I have to see this error message as well. Can anyone advise for either issue that I'm having? Congrats to everyone who have already gotten in.

My LizzieM score is near 70, I submitted my secondary in July, and I had my status changed to preliminary review completed. I logged into the app only to find this error message :

Thank you for your interest in the Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. Unfortunately, Secondary Applications cannot be accepted now since the deadline to submit the HWCOM Secondary Application for regular admissions was January 14, 2017.

I called and emailed them and received no answer via either. Not only am I freaking out due to lack of II thus far, now I have to see this error message as well. Can anyone advise for either issue that I'm having? Congrats to everyone who have already gotten in.

Maybe it was a glitch in their system and that it's fine now. What does your app portal say now?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is because you are going to this link: https://admissions.medicine.fiu.edu/application.aspx
It is giving you an error because secondary application is now closed.
Always go to this link to check your status:
https://admissions.medicine.fiu.edu/Default.aspx

Thank you!!!!

I just received this email from them :

Good morning. Thank you for your continued interest in FIU HWCOM. Your application was reviewed on December 8 and you are still being considered for an interview. I am not sure why you received that error message.

If selected for an interview, you will receive an email. We interview until the end of March.

Best wishes.

This is encouraging... There is hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!!!!

I just received this email from them :

Good morning. Thank you for your continued interest in FIU HWCOM. Your application was reviewed on December 8 and you are still being considered for an interview. I am not sure why you received that error message.

If selected for an interview, you will receive an email. We interview until the end of March.

Best wishes.

This is encouraging... There is hope!

Come on ... !!! II's should be going out by now. OO's need time to plan their trip to Miami! (airfare ticket, vacation/time off from school, etc.) FIU HWCOM cannot just tell me, "Come tomorrow." Quite discouraged by this process.

Come on ... !!! II's should be going out by now. OO's need time to plan their trip to Miami! (airfare ticket, vacation/time off from school, etc.) FIU HWCOM cannot just tell me, "Come tomorrow." Quite discouraged by this process.

From what I've seen, they might have very serious in-state preference since they tend to give IIs the week before.

well they cant just give everyone an interview....especially OOS students..

Hi! First time poster on this thread - thought I'd share I just received an II, was complete 9/16. Not sure when my secondary was reviewed though, I hand't checked the portal for that update.

And since I know it will most likely be asked:
OOS, MCAT 510, GPA 3.7

Hi! First time poster on this thread - thought I'd share I just received an II, was complete 9/16. Not sure when my secondary was reviewed though, I hand't checked the portal for that update.

And since I know it will most likely be asked:
OOS, MCAT 510, GPA 3.7
Congrats! When is it scheduled for? This gives me hope, as I have similar stats as you, 30 old MCAT, 3.8+ GPA, pretty solid EC's/Leadership.

Wow! Congrats on your II! Are you URM or have significant life challenges that explain the lower LizzyM? This lines up with my LizzyM and this school is top of my list. I'm not holding out too much hope for this cycle but hoping for next year!

II! Does anyone have advice on interview prep? I'm freaking out!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
From what I've seen, they might have very serious in-state preference since they tend to give IIs the week before.

From what I've seen in the composition of my class, it certainly feels like a majority of us are from Florida. Of course, I don't have access to the official school stats, but there are certainly a lot of us from Florida.

Still waiting for II. Is it acceptable to call the admissions office for an 'update'?

Still waiting for II. Is it acceptable to call the admissions office for an 'update'?

I literally emailed 20 minutes ago and they just replied saying:

"Good afternoon. Thank you for your continued interest in FIU HWCOM. Your application has been reviewed. If selected for an interview, you will receive an email. We interview until the end of March. We review each application holistically and consider many factors including but not limited to academic readiness when selecting students for an interview."

So if they usually give interviews the week before, we probably still have a chance until mid-March.

II!!! Thank god too bc this is on the same day UCF rejected (wl'ed) me and I was devastated cause I really wanted to stay in beautiful sunny Florida.

Some of my best friends are Miami boys too so if I can get in, I'll be forever happy. You guys are my number 1, FIU

II!!! Thank god too bc this is on the same day UCF rejected (wl'ed) me and I was devastated cause I really wanted to stay in beautiful sunny Florida.

Some of my best friends are Miami boys too so if I can get in, I'll be forever happy. You guys are my number 1, FIU
Congrats!!! Now get ready for the interview, it is pretty chill. Have a very good answer for why FIU and not others? I was asked that from both my interviewers. Good luck☺

Legit!

When did you submit your secondary?

Legit!

When did you submit your secondary?

I don't remember, all I know is it was a long time before they even touched my application and I was in "Preliminary Application Completed" jail for a while. I even checked it yesterday and that was the status I had. They must have really liked my app though, cause the second they touched it, I was sent an interview ;)

I think you were in my interview group at UCF btw

Have a very good answer for why FIU and not others

Bc there are no others!!! hahaha

Last edited:
Does having a late interview mean the class is likely full by now? Would this mean lower shot of acceptance?

Does having a late interview mean the class is likely full by now? Would this mean lower shot of acceptance?
Nobody will know for sure. But technically speaking, maybe because at this point there are less seats offered and hence more competition. But don't let this distract you from the fact that YOU are chosen for an interview, which means they like something about you. If you fit well into their mission (or convince them that you do;)), then you have a great shot at an acceptance. Many students in last year forum were accepted at this time of the year. Goodluck!

Reactions: 2 users
II just now, but will be withdrawing my offer. I forgot I applied here and didn't know they interviewed this late! OS LizzyM ~65. The dates left for me were Feb 20 and 24. Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Reactions: 5 users
Declined my II received about a week ago via phone call. Portal status was "Secondary Application completed" since submitting in July. Changed to "Preliminary review complete" and received phone call that evening for an interview 4 days later. LizzyM 68, IS

For those concerned about interviewing "late" in the cycle, I interviewed exactly 1 year ago tomorrow. When I interviewed, they mentioned that they were NOT interviewing for the waitlist yet at that time. So remember, interview for the seat, not the waitlist and don't be discouraged if you're waitlisted.

For those concerned about interviewing "late" in the cycle, I interviewed exactly 1 year ago tomorrow. When I interviewed, they mentioned that they were NOT interviewing for the waitlist yet at that time. So remember, interview for the seat, not the waitlist and don't be discouraged if you're waitlisted.
Were you accepted?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any information on the timeline for scholarships, especially the merit?

Do any med students know at about what stat # do merit scholarships become more common?

Just wondering what my chances of a merit scholarship are with a 515, 4.0.

Thanks!!

Anyone hear of any WL movement?!!

Last edited:
Last year, FIU waitlisted some students. Then, they rejected some of them. Among those rejected, a friend of mine received an offer to register for some courses for a year with the promise that she would get accepted into their medical school program the next year. Those courses were quite expensive; she did not take them. This year, she has not even been contacted for an interview. ... or, should I say, "She has not been contacted for her interview, YET!"

Last year, FIU waitlisted some students. Then, they rejected some of them. Among those rejected, a friend of mine received an offer to register for some courses for a year with the promise that she would get accepted into their medical school program the next year. Those courses were quite expensive; she did not take them. This year, she has not even been contacted for an interview. ... or, should I say, "She has not been contacted for her interview, YET!"

I believe that you're referring to the Graduate Certificate program. Those students take classes similar to ours, up to a certain point, and have the same faculty that we have. Very science intensive from what I can see and certainly not easy, but we'll see who passes through the program and makes it in.

Just received an II, complete late November.

Reactions: 7 users