2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no way she needs that program with those stats lol...
Exactly!!! Thank you!!! But, someone tell me what do schools look for? She has the scores and the extracurricular (shadowing, research, volunteer, and yara, yara, yara) She has a great personality; her conversations are pleasant. However, WL after interviewed! Please if you are reading this note and have been accepted ..., give us some tips! Do no tell me to be myself. I, myself, have been interviewed several times, and I am still looking forward to getting accepted !!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Have been trying to look through the thread to get some insight to interview day. I know people keep saying "low-stress" but can anyone confirm or deny if bioethics or health care questions are asked? Or is it mostly a personality/behavioral interview? I guess since they are one-on-ones this answer could range, but would love some feedback from anyone who has already gone through it! Thanks!!

Have been trying to look through the thread to get some insight to interview day. I know people keep saying "low-stress" but can anyone confirm or deny if bioethics or health care questions are asked? Or is it mostly a personality/behavioral interview? I guess since they are one-on-ones this answer could range, but would love some feedback from anyone who has already gone through it! Thanks!!
My interview with the MS-4 was more conversational and consisted of questions about my hobbies/extracurriculars while my faculty interview had situational/ethical questions mixed in with some 'why medicine?' type questions. Overall, the vibe of interview day is very relaxed and you'll see that once you're there and get to talking with current med students during lunch; everyone is very friendly and I truly felt like they just wanted to get to know me, hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm scheduled for an interview on Monday the 20th, but haven't gotten confirmation for my interview or any information about the interview day, nor in my spam email. On the secondary portal I am confirmed for the 20th. Does anybody have info about what time to be there? I'll call as soon as I can but I'm nervous right now as I have no info. TIA

I'm scheduled for an interview on Monday the 20th, but haven't gotten confirmation for my interview or any information about the interview day, nor in my spam email. On the secondary portal I am confirmed for the 20th. Does anybody have info about what time to be there? I'll call as soon as I can but I'm nervous right now as I have no info. TIA
You should have gotten an email confirmation + an email reminder. But these were my instructions, I would assume they are same for everyone. Goodluck!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 7.33.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 7.33.42 PM.png
    484.9 KB · Views: 95
My interview with the MS-4 was more conversational and consisted of questions about my hobbies/extracurriculars while my faculty interview had situational/ethical questions mixed in with some 'why medicine?' type questions. Overall, the vibe of interview day is very relaxed and you'll see that once you're there and get to talking with current med students during lunch; everyone is very friendly and I truly felt like they just wanted to get to know me, hope that helps!

So, so helpful!! I really appreciate it!

You should have gotten an email confirmation + an email reminder. But these were my instructions, I would assume they are same for everyone. Goodluck!
We are scheduled for interviews tomorrow (or technically today 2:14 am on Monday 2/20)

Hey guys! I interviewed here on January 13th, but I don't think they told us when we'd here back from them by. Would anybody happen to know? I know they say "the week of...". Thanks!

Hey guys! I interviewed here on January 13th, but I don't think they told us when we'd here back from them by. Would anybody happen to know? I know they say "the week of...". Thanks!

Hi! I wrote down the week of march 20th. On that note, does anyone know if we will definitely hear back the date they told us, or is there a possibility that we'll hear before or after?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I wrote down the week of march 20th. On that note, does anyone know if we will definitely hear back the date they told us, or is there a possibility that we'll hear before or after?

I thought they said the week of February 20th, or maybe I heard them wrong but that's what I had written down :)

I also have February 20th written down

I bet they didn't meet yesterday because of President's Day, but I just checked my portal and it now says "Admissions Committee Review Completed":eek:

I also interviewed on the 13th and I wrote down March 20th...but I hope you're right about February 20th.

I thought they said the week of February 20th, or maybe I heard them wrong but that's what I had written down :)

I also have February 20th written down

Just realized I totally mistook this to say 2/13 (my interview date). Sorry to be the source of any confusion. Good luck this week guys!

Last edited:
the early january interviewees are supposed to hear back this week!

Waitlisted as well but hopeful!

OMG FIRST AND ONLY ACCEPTANCE!!!!!!!! Dreams do come true. My mom and I cried so much. Tears of Joy :nailbiting:

Reactions: 18 users
Accepted!! Got the email a few minutes ago.
Interviewed early January

OS,
Undergrad GPA 3.4
MCAT 34
Grad GPA 3.9

At the end of my interview day, I knew FIU was the gem of a school I had been looking for this entire time. Will be withdrawing from other schools shortly.
Last cycle I was on 3 waitlists with no acceptances, so sending good vibes to my WL folks! Hope to see you in the Fall!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! First official outright acceptance this cycle!

OOS
3.8, 511

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!!! I cried so hard. I began to run. Didn't know what to do. God never forgot about me.

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted earlier today, didn't get an email though. I checked the portal after I saw you all posting about the decisions.

Stats... OOS, LM 70, interviewed 01/13!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Interviewed early-mid January, OOS with strong FL ties, stats below.

Will be declining the offer of acceptance as I've been accepted to a school higher on my list. Hoping the spot goes to one of you on the waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anybody know when we will find out information about the diversity scholarship essay and when that award would be extended if earned?

Accepted! Interviewed early-mid January, OOS with strong FL ties, stats below.

Will be declining the offer of acceptance as I've been accepted to a school higher on my list. Hoping the spot goes to one of you on the waitlist![
OMG FIRST AND ONLY ACCEPTANCE!!!!!!!! Dreams do come true. My mom and I cried so much. Tears of Joy :nailbiting:
Great! Happy for you! Happy for your mom!!! My father is so stressed out ... I am looking forward to seeing him crying when I get accepted !!! ... and I know it is coming up soon!!!

I emailed today looking for a status update. They replied quickly and said they're interviewing until late March. How do I beg them for an II without actually begging? Lol

Reactions: 3 users
Great!!! I also like to run! ... have a great time in medical school!!!!
I will!!!! I've been working on this achievement wayyyyyyyyy back when there were no smartphones around. Time to continue with this journey.

Last edited:
Is there a Facebook page for accepted students?

Also any info about a second look date or orientation date? Couldn't find specifics on the website. It mentioned early august but didn't see an exact day

I gave up my seat here last week, so hopefully one of you guys still waiting ends up taking it. I loved my interview day at FIU and was really surprised at how far it's coming along for being so young.

Reactions: 5 users
I gave up my seat here last week, so hopefully one of you guys still waiting ends up taking it. I loved my interview day at FIU and was really surprised at how far it's coming along for being so young.

Love the avatar