2016-2017 Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
How many acceptances/waitlists/rejections are given out?

and then how many people get accepted from the waitlist?

WL here as well. Any ideas on how soon WL movement will occur?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, this is the first time I was mildly happy about being waitlisted. The decision at first read like a rejection, then went into "however we are happy to offer you a spot on our waitlist." Only Columbia, lol. Thought I was rejected post-II for a minute there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected after interviewing for the 3-year Phd-to-MD program. The dream is dead - this one hit me hard as I really enjoyed my visit there. I wish I could know why.

Same here. Kinda surprised they outright rejected post-II for such a small pool of applicants.

ALL ABOARD THE WL TRAIN

also: neat of them to offer further quantitative details about WL movement

Reactions: 2 users
I'm very surprised too. I also interviewed for the 3-year program and was placed on their waitlist. Are you guys certain you received an outright rejection? I know it's a stretch, but I think the waitlist notification can read like a rejection at first. Regardless, I wish you both the best of luck.

Yep, straight up rejection. I'm looking at it as having less options makes my decision easier lol. Best of luck to you, too!

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted! lol literally everyone I spoke with at Columbia had been waitlisted at one point, so I'm thinking there's still hope for us!

Mine was like this too, but I reloaded the page and saw the buttons.

Arghhh. I didn't "reload" my page, because I had no reason to reload my page. I had no reason to believe the page would change--i.e. that buttons with "accept" and "decline" would magically appear--after reloading the page.

The result: I never saw any "accept"/"decline" buttons, and now I'm freaking out. Am I not "officially" on the waitlist because I never clicked "accept"? How many other applicants were unable to see these buttons?

FYI, the I did indeed see the "SSN" field.

Waitlisted! Looks like I am committing to UNC, will definitely apply for an NYC residency in the future though

does anyone have any insight as to the nature of the waitlist movement? Because of the number of people waitlisted and that in the email Dr. Nicholas called it an "unranked waitlist," I was wondering how they choose. Is it just update driven at this point?

does anyone have any insight as to the nature of the waitlist movement? Because of the number of people waitlisted and that in the email Dr. Nicholas called it an "unranked waitlist," I was wondering how they choose. Is it just update driven at this point?

I feel like no one got rejected post-interview LOL

everybody on the waitlist lmao

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected post-II.

Feeling EXTRA bad seeing the number waitlisted here.

From what I've read on past forums, updates do seem to be a big thing in getting off the waitlist. It also holds a lot of weight apparently if you have acceptance from a better school yet tell Columbia they are your top choice.

Anddddd now it's a grand total of 1 acceptance 4 WL's! My nickname on these forums should be "The Waitlist Prodigy". Alright, so we're holding out for the next two decisions!

Edit: I also did not see the "accept" and "decline" options for the waitlist. Just entered my SSN.

Edit2: Also does everyone's waitlist email state something along the lines of "you are a very highly considered candidate" or something along those lines? Assuming it's relatively generic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anddddd now it's a grand total of 1 acceptance 4 WL's! My nickname on these forums should be "The Waitlist Prodigy". Alright, so we're holding out for the next two decisions!

Edit: I also did not see the "accept" and "decline" options for the waitlist. Just entered my SSN.

Edit2: Also does everyone's waitlist email state something along the lines of "you are a very highly considered candidate" or something along those lines? Assuming it's relatively generic.

Generic, but not untruthful. I think getting to this stage means something...

I am also part of the waitlisted majority! Good luck to everyone! I'm sure you will all attend amazing medical schools! :)

Right there with ya man. And yeah my portal update said something along these lines.

Right there with ya man. And yeah my portal update said something along these lines.
Sitting on a bunch of waitlists as well? Got waitlisted at both my top choices. Not sure what went wacky in all the interviews, maybe didn't try to sell as a "good fit" to the schools enough?

Guess it's time to try to get all my activities finished to send updates - looking at you Columbia, not giving up yet!

About 100, +/- 10

100 people get off of the waitlist? Wow! Isn't that pretty high? I'm in a tough place making a decision between this school and my state school, so I assume a lot of people have this dilemma.

100 people get off of the waitlist? Wow! Isn't that pretty high? I'm in a tough place making a decision between this school and my state school, so I assume a lot of people have this dilemma.

So I actually was curious about this. Columbia's yield is something like 49% in the end (49% of applicants who receive an acceptance to Columbia ultimately accept). Sounds kind of low, right? Not so. It turns out that all but a small handful of private schools have yields lower than this (I didn't look so much at state schools, but U of Washington had an 80+% yield). I'm not totally sure what to make of that...

But how many people are on the waitlist @WedgeDawg

I think the more important question is how many people REMAIN on the waitlist when they start offering the next round of acceptances to waitlist position holders.

I'm sure there's a significant portion of people who have alternate acceptances and either prefer another school or who don't want to hold on for the ride.

So I actually was curious about this. Columbia's yield is something like 49% in the end (49% of applicants who receive an acceptance to Columbia ultimately accept). Sounds kind of low, right? Not so. It turns out that all but a small handful of private schools have yields lower than this (I didn't look so much at state schools, but U of Washington had an 80+% yield). I'm not totally sure what to make of that...
I thought Columbia's yield was more like 30%- with 20% outright acceptance and 10% acceptance from waitlist

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

It's probably because they rely on letters of intent to select applicants who they know will matriculate

I thought Columbia's yield was more like 30%- with 20% outright acceptance and 10% acceptance from waitlist

He's referring to the percent of accepted applicants who matriculate, not the percent of interviewees who are accepted

Thats accpectance rate, man. I tell you what yield is in my post (Yield=(matriculatnts/acceptances)*100)

It's probably because they rely on letters of intent to select applicants who they know will matriculate

He's referring to the percent of accepted applicants who matriculate, not the percent of interviewees who are accepted
Oh, oops. Read that wrong!

Not to be biased, but go to your state school :p

Not to be biased, but go to your state school :p

Hahaha I'm trying to come up with pros and cons, but there is a good chance for everyone on the waitlist!! 100 people is a pretty decent number, most TX schools only take up to 10 people off the waitlist for reference.

Hahaha I'm trying to come up with pros and cons, but there is a good chance for everyone on the waitlist!! 100 people is a pretty decent number, most TX schools only take up to 10 people off the waitlist for reference.

I josh, but either way it goes, I'm sure you'll have made a great choice.

WL by e-mail/portal this afternoon 1 PM EST. LizzyM 74, OOS, interviewed in January. Congratulations to those accepted!

~200 accepts outright,
~100 more off the waitlist
~700-800 on the waitlist total
Class size is ~160
Yield is ~55%
There is some merit money, but I'm not sure how it is distributed or when
There is a lot of need based money

~200 accepts outright,
~100 more off the waitlist
~700-800 on the waitlist total
Class size is ~160
Yield is ~55%
There is some merit money, but I'm not sure how it is distributed or when
There is a lot of need based money

This is from US News Compass, so 51.4% ( I was off)
upload_2017-2-15_18-47-1.png

But could you tell me if you know what the actual waitlist volume is in early may (at the time by which they start selecting from the waitlist)?

I assume not, but that would be crazy helpful to know.

Does anyone have a link to the waitlist support thread that I keep seeing people mention on here? At this point, I'm pretty much going to my state school unless I get off this waitlist, and I'd obviously rather go to P&S if possible.

Looking for some resources on how to make that happen, especially regarding LOI's. I literally sent them an update less than a month ago, and it included my plans between now and June, so I'm not sure what to say other than how much I want to go there.

Anyway yea if anyone has some links that would be sweet, thank you.