2016-2017 Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait am I missing something here? The OP only sent in an LOI--he didn't get off the waitlist. I don't think he needs to say thanks but no thanks, but instead maybe just take himself off the waitlist.

Well if you want to be polite you should still thank the school for considering their application and say that they would like to be withdrawn from the waitlist. Saying thank you in any circumstances is just common courtesy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Well if you want to be polite you should still thank the school for considering their application and say that they would like to be withdrawn from the waitlist. Saying thank you in any circumstances is just common courtesy.
Oh lol I should have clarified. I didnt mean common courtesy should be ignored and a literal "thanks for your time/consideration" somewhere in the email he's sending was unnecessary. I just meant he's not actually turning down an offer from the school, so the 'no thanks' part isnt really necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be withdrawing from the waitlist here, good luck to everyone sticking it out! Y'all are awesome, I hope I get to work with you a few years down the road!

Match lists don't mean a whole lot when you're applying, but we're all incredibly proud of our classmates for how things went on Friday. And, if nothing else, it's an indication that Columbia sets you up extremely well for the next stage.

Anesthesiology
Hosp of the Univ of Pennsylvania
Massachusetts Gen Hospital
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell
Stanford Univ Progs
Stanford Univ Progs
UCLA Medical Center
UC San Francisco
U Washington Affil Hosps
Wash U/Barnes Jewish Hosp

Child Neurology
Northwestern McGaw/Children’s Memorial Hosp
U Colorado SOM

Dermatology
Stanford Univ Progs
Stanford Univ Progs
U Pitt MC Medical Education
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch

Emergency Medicine
Icahn SOM St Lukes-Roosevelt
Madagan Army Medical Center
NYU School of Medicine
SUNY Downstate HSC Brooklyn
Temple Univ Hosp

Family Medicine
Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Med Ctr
UC San Francisco
U Washington Affil Hosps
U Washington Affil Hosps

Internal Medicine
Brigham & Womens Hosp
Cleveland Clinic Fdn
Icahn SOM Mt Sinai Med Ctr
Icahn SOM Elmhurst Hosp Ctr
Madagan Army Medical Center
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr
NYU Lutheran Medical Ctr
NYU School of Medicine
NYU School of Medicine
Stanford Univ Progs
Stanford Univ Progs
Stanford Univ Progs
UCLA Medical Center
UCLA Medical Center
U Colorado SOM
UC San Francisco
U Michigan Hosps
U Washington Affil Hosp
U Washington Affil Hosp
U Washington Affil Hosp
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr
Yale-New Haven Hosp
Yale-New Haven Hosp

Medicine-Pediatrics
Johns Hopkins Hosp
Johns Hopkins Hosp
U Maryland Med Ctr
Yale-New Haven Hosp

Medicine-Primary
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr
U Washington Affil Hosps

Neurological Surgery
Oregon Health & Science Univ
U Illinois COM

Neurology
Beth Israel Deaconess Med Ctr
Brigham & Womens Hosp
Yale-New Haven Hosp

Obstetrics & Gynecology
Albany Med Ctr Hosp
Brigham & Womens Hosp
Brown U/Womens & Infants Hosp of RI
Christiana Care
NYU School of Medicine
Santa Clara Valley MC
University Hosps-Columbia

Ophthalmology
Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary/Harvard
Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary/Harvard

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Orthopedic Surgery
Boston Univ Med Ctr
Hofstra Northwell SOM-NY
UC San Francisco
U Massachusetts Med School

Otolargyngology
U North Carolina Hospitals
UC San Francisco

Pathology
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr

Pediatrics
Childrens Hosp-Philadelphia
Stanford Univ Progs
UCLA Medical Center
Univ Hosps Case Western Med Ctr
U Pitt MC Medical Education
U Washington Affil Hosps
U Washington Affil Hosps
Yale-New Haven Hosp

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
U Colorado SOM

Plastic Surgery
NYU School of Medicine
U North Carolina Hospitals

Psychiatry
Maine Medical Center
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Univ Med Ctr
Stanford Univ Progs
Stanford Univ Progs
UC San Francisco
Yale-New Haven Hosp

Radiation Oncology
NYU School of Medicine
U Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital

Radiology Diagnostic
Baylor Coll Med-Houston
Emory Univ SOM
Johns Hopkins Hosp
SUNY Stony Brook Teach Hosps
U Chicago Med Ctr

Radiology – Interventional
Hofstra Northwell SOM-NY
UCLA Medical Center
U Michigan Hosps

Surgery – General
Beth Israel Deaconess Med Ctr
Oregon Health & Science Univ

Surgery – Thoracic
Brigham & Womens Hosp
Mayo School of Graduate Med Educ
Stanford Univ Progs

Surgery – Vascular
Stanford Univ Progs

Urology
Brigham & Womens Hosp
U Chicago Med Ctr
UC Davis Med Ctr
UC Irvine Med Ctr
U Minnesota Med Ctr
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr

Reactions: 7 users
Seems like no one matched in CT Surg Residency at Columbia.. Hmmm I wonder what happened there

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is Columbia receptive to LOIs from waitlisted people?

Is Columbia receptive to LOIs from waitlisted people?

If Columbia is truly and absolutely your #1 choice, and you can prove it as best you can in your letter of intent, they will be quite receptive. Just make sure that you are picking P&S for all the right reasons. If you are betting your one and only LOI on P&S, they'll notice. I speak from experience.

My msar expired. Can anyone check to see what the lowest (10%) gpa and Mcat is for accepted students? I'd be eternally grateful :)

My msar expired. Can anyone check to see what the lowest (10%) gpa and Mcat is for accepted students? I'd be eternally grateful :)

Looks like 10th percentile cGPA is 3.59, sGPA is 3.44, and MCAT is 32.

Reactions: 1 user
How do I withdrawal from the WL? I don't see any option on the portal....

This may be a dumb question, but here goes:

I loved my interview day at Columbia, and I really want to move back to New York, so I feel like I should be ultra obsessed with Columbia but I'm kind of having cold feet...I'm not in any way artistic or musical or anything like that but it seems like theater and music are central to the culture at P&S and I just don't feel like I'll fit in. Also, looking at the second look agenda doesn't help get me excited - all the other SLW schedules I've seen so far have social events that seem fun/exciting/hype-worthy but it just seems like we'll be spending our day in info sessions. Obviously these info sessions are hugely important but I'm just wondering why it doesn't seem like this is going to be that fun of a day. Can anyone give some insight/encouragement? Or does anyone else feel the same way?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I loved my interview day at Columbia, and I really want to move back to New York, so I feel like I should be ultra obsessed with Columbia but I'm kind of having cold feet...I'm not in any way artistic or musical or anything like that but it seems like theater and music are central to the culture at P&S and I just don't feel like I'll fit in. Also, looking at the second look agenda doesn't help get me excited - all the other SLW schedules I've seen so far have social events that seem fun/exciting/hype-worthy but it just seems like we'll be spending our day in info sessions. Obviously these info sessions are hugely important but I'm just wondering why it doesn't seem like this is going to be that fun of a day. Can anyone give some insight/encouragement? Or does anyone else feel the same way?

Hey. Here's my quick two cents. I'd wait and reevaluate at second look! Music was a big part of my app and is big part of who I am, but I wouldn't at all say it's why this is my current top choice. I'm not even sure how involved in the music clubs I'd be involved in, as I'm a soloist. Regardless, the main reason I'm excited is the high value the culture places on keeping time for yourself and continuing whatever interests you have and will develop. That's important to me, hence my top choice.

I bet there's going to be some (un)official post revisit event too we can slide to. Can any current student speak to this?

The fun stuff is fluff. Just like brand new iPads. Schools trying to sway your decision by irrelevant factors. No amount of 1-2 day fun, or good vibes from your one or two interviewers, or swag is relevant compared to the actual education and opportunities you'll receive over four years at medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
I bet there's going to be some (un)official post revisit event too we can slide to. Can any current student speak to this?
There'll definitely be plans that the student body puts together for after the official scheduled events. The best part of revisit is getting to know your potential classmates and the vibe of the current students!

Back to the Financial Aid thing. Will we get packages before revisit this Friday? Or AT the revisit?

So, I received my award and it doesn't specify how much comes from a loan and how much from a grant. Anybody know when we would be able to get this info?

Really? Mine does. It says "2017-2018 Award" and then "Source" and then breaks it down by loan, scholarship and stipend.

Really? Mine does. It says "2017-2018 Award" and then "Source" and then breaks it down by loan, scholarship and stipend.

Yep, that's my bad. It was a glitch with viewing the award on mobile, I can now see everything. Appreciate the clarification.

For those accepted who have gotten their financial aid awards, how generous has P&S been? Are you all satisfied with the amount of aid?

It showed up only via email for me.

In other news, question for current P&S students:

I have a very generous offer from Columbia but am worried about being subjected to the vagaries of need based aid subject to change. Have people experienced significant fluctuations despite their parents' financial situation having remained the same? Or is aid pretty constant provided a similar financial situation year to year?

Last edited:
It showed up only via email for me.

In other news, question for current P&S students:

I have a very generous offer from Columbia but am worried about being subjected to the vagaries of need based aid subject to change. Have people experienced significant fluctuations despite their parents' financial situation having remained the same? Or is aid pretty constant provided that one's own financial situation does not change??

Mine has been constant since I was accepted 2015. If anything, it's gotten slightly better. Of course, this will ultimately depend on your individual financial situation.

Mine has been constant since I was accepted 2015. If anything, it's gotten slightly better. Of course, this will ultimately depend on your individual financial situation.

Do the "name" loans carry over reliably as well? Or just grants in a consistent basis?

Thanks so much for the info!

Have they already given merit scholarships? By what time would they be given?

5 days until bowel movements *cough* I mean waitlist movements *cough*

Wow 3.4/514 admitted to Columbia

Good job

Waitlisted back in feb. Just withdrew app. Hope I made some room for those waiting for a spot. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Yea that number isn't openly published anywhere that I know of, but it's from a pretty reliable albeit covert source.

Awesome! Thanks. The admissions office wouldn't tell me directly, so I tried you guys ^_^.

That info is in the second post of this thread.

Bruh, the source didn't have the # waitlisted people. But you sure do sound like a treasure.

So decided to stay in Manhattan for another 4 years!! Can't wait to meet everyone :) Hope there is waitlist movement for those who are on it.

Reactions: 4 users