2016-2017 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I interviewed a few weeks back and had a great experience. I'm hoping some current medical students can chime in I'm a little confused about the curriculum. So I understand there is team based and problem based learning you get case files weekly and work them out together. But are there no lectures at all? Can someone go thur a quick typical week of what learning and studying looks like at CMed. I seen the weekly schedule during interview day but there was no time listed for lectures? I'm confused where actual learning happens. I just imagine 6 M1s sitting in a room struggling together with little guidance (just my thought, sure its better than I imagine)

I was also confused about this! Any info would be appreciated :) thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So I interviewed a few weeks back and had a great experience. I'm hoping some current medical students can chime in I'm a little confused about the curriculum. So I understand there is team based and problem based learning you get case files weekly and work them out together. But are there no lectures at all? Can someone go thur a quick typical week of what learning and studying looks like at CMed. I seen the weekly schedule during interview day but there was no time listed for lectures? I'm confused where actual learning happens. I just imagine 6 M1s sitting in a room struggling together with little guidance (just my thought, sure its better than I imagine)
I was also confused about this! Any info would be appreciated :) thanks in advance!

Happy to elaborate! (Current M1). Typical week during our first semester (foundations), M/W/F we started the day with 2 hours of cases that reflected the lectures given the following two hours or the 3-4 hours of lectures given on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The lecture and cases reflected each other, sometimes cases presenting material before the lecture, sometime vice/versa. We had a facilitator with us to explain anything we didn't understand or help guide us to find the answers.

Currently, in organ systems, we have a the first half of a case for an hour, then lecture, then second half of case, then a team based activity where we take a little quiz, then work through the quiz as a team, then debate follow up questions back and forth with the other teams. Our lectures and cases currently work REALLY well together, usually the case following up on or repeating the lecture material in a case based presentation. We no longer have a facilitator, but the prof in charge of the material is hanging out outside of our team rooms waiting for any questions we might have. Usually the teams are well built, and we can come to the understanding amongst ourselves, teaching each other, which greatly reinforces the learning.

All that said, we DEFINITELY have lecture and formal instruction that guides our cases. And the prof is always nearby in case we need extra help.

I personally really like this format, and find my understanding greatly enhanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who interviewed on 1/13 heard anything back yet? I thought they said we'd get a status update within 2 weeks of interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed on 1/13 heard anything back yet? I thought they said we'd get a status update within 2 weeks of interview day.

They actually said during the interview that the commitee is meeting on Feb 13th. They mentioned it a few times.
Said they usually meet in evening so expect phone calls for acceptance that night or the following day. If waitlist, hold, or rejection will be notified by email.

Anyone have an idea of when they begin letting post-interview "holds" off the hook?

I called admissions and was told there are interviews up to March, and not all interview invites have been given

THANKS FOR YOUR UPDATE :)
Up to March, does that mean including March or Up to March 1, that means only the month of Feb have opening for II!???

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
THANKS FOR YOUR UPDATE :)
Up to March, does that mean including March or Up to March 1, that means only the month of Feb have opening for II!???
You and I both man. Still waiting for an II here. And seeing it is until March something may happen hopefully. Good Luck PERSIST.

Reactions: 1 users
You and I both man. Still waiting for an II here. And seeing it is until March something may happen hopefully. Good Luck PERSIST.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO! Hope to see u there at the interview ;) Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Just got an II. See you guys on the 24th if you're going to be there. A bit apprehensive, but looking forward to the group activity!

I think it's safe to say that those of us that don't get IIs today or at the latest next Thursday are SOL :(

I am wondering if anyone knows how decisions are made after the interview. Is the decision made based on interview performance only, or do they re-evaluate the individuals app including grades, MCAT score, etc in order to reach a decision??

Got an interview today! I think from the schedule they sent me they only have two interview dates left.

I am wondering if anyone knows how decisions are made after the interview. Is the decision made based on interview performance only, or do they re-evaluate the individuals app including grades, MCAT score, etc in order to reach a decision??

As far as I understand it... post interview decision is made considering the entire application (including grades/MCAT).

Just got an II. See you guys on the 24th if you're going to be there. A bit apprehensive, but looking forward to the group activity!

Don't be apprehensive... you'll do amazing, be confident, be enthusiastic. You're going to be an amazing doctor, and now is your chance to show that you have the foundation to build that doctor!

Current CMED students: where are some common/best apartments or housing options that med students opt for?

Question for you guys about opinions on updating my application. The last decision day is before Valentine's Day, so in like a week. Would it be a good idea if I uploaded my Fall 2016 grades as an additional document on my application before then? I originally didn't upload them because it wasn't required, and the application stated that the full transcript would only be needed upon admission. But I'm wondering if I uploaded my final transcript today, could that potentially buffer my app more during the final review? Or would it just look tacky and desperate?

I have two thought processes. On one hand, it might look good because my last semester was a 4.0 with pretty hard classes, and uploading it shows I still care about getting admitted. On the other hand, it might look bad because I waited until a week before decisions to upload the final transcript when I've had it for a few weeks.

Not sure if this matters, but I did have a current M1 write me a recommendation a couple months ago and I also sent a thank-you letter to the admissions committee for interviewing me. Any opinions or thoughts are welcome!

Does anyone have any insight from previous years as to when post-interview holds will begin to hear SOMETHING?

Question for you guys about opinions on updating my application. The last decision day is before Valentine's Day, so in like a week. Would it be a good idea if I uploaded my Fall 2016 grades as an additional document on my application before then? I originally didn't upload them because it wasn't required, and the application stated that the full transcript would only be needed upon admission. But I'm wondering if I uploaded my final transcript today, could that potentially buffer my app more during the final review? Or would it just look tacky and desperate?

I have two thought processes. On one hand, it might look good because my last semester was a 4.0 with pretty hard classes, and uploading it shows I still care about getting admitted. On the other hand, it might look bad because I waited until a week before decisions to upload the final transcript when I've had it for a few weeks.

Not sure if this matters, but I did have a current M1 write me a recommendation a couple months ago and I also sent a thank-you letter to the admissions committee for interviewing me. Any opinions or thoughts are welcome!
I think you should update them. Showing interest goes a long way.

Current CMED students: where are some common/best apartments or housing options that med students opt for?

If you like being around other med students, and can get a spot (might be hard) there is a med student only apartment building on Gaylord, there is some thin-wall issue, but those apartments are GORGEOUS, and large, with full size appliances and the benefit of neighbors who double as support groups. Several students also live in Hometowne apts (2 bed, central air, washer/drier, quieter, relaxed landlord and away from student housing). There are other complexes around as well.

Id recommend looking north of Broomfield, the highschool area seeming to offer best chances of non-undergrad noises... and those noises can get rowdy and annoying when you're trying to study.

You'll likely pay $600-800 in rent, some including utilities some not. hope this helps!

Has anyone on the alternate list gotten accepted yet? I was under the impression you could be accepted at any time but I don't recall seeing anyone post about waitlist movement.

Hey guys, for those of you who submitted a Thank You letter or some type of update in the additional documents sections: did you see any type of confirmation? I want to know if it's just me who doesn't see anything. Wi-Fi here is horrendous

Hey guys, for those of you who submitted a Thank You letter or some type of update in the additional documents sections: did you see any type of confirmation? I want to know if it's just me who doesn't see anything. Wi-Fi here is horrendous
Nope, but I emailed med admissions to say I had uploaded my grades and to confirm

I was waitlisted in December and planning on sending a letter of Intent. Should I wait till April and should I send it directly to the director of admission or through the portal system.

Also I work for a charity that provides free science tutoring for inner city children in Detroit. I have dozens of letters from students and their parents thanking me for the work I do with them. I was thinking of scanning them and putting together a collage of the best 10 letters. I think this would show the impact I'ev had on my community. Do you think its to much?

Also I work for a charity that provides free science tutoring for inner city children in Detroit. I have dozens of letters from students and their parents thanking me for the work I do with them. I was thinking of scanning them and putting together a collage of the best 10 letters. I think this would show the impact I'ev had on my community. Do you think its to much?
Yes.

Too much. Your application and interview should have given you a chance to speak about this experience and the impact it had on you and you on those kids, as well as your app giving you a chance to submit a letter of recommendation from that experience. Don't send a collage of the letters.

Well, I personally don't think uploading a thank you in your application documents is a very good idea. At the very least it should be emailed personally but really a mailed or handwritten letter would suggest the most well-planned thank you. Just my opinion. More so, I get the impression that the additional documents are for things specific to your application that they should know to enhance your admissibility. So a thank you note might not fit that category. As far as uploading an additional doc, I uploaded one but didn't get any sort of confirmation. I may call to confirm that it uploaded this week.

Canadian student here.....Submitted my secondary application in September end and my file review was complete in November end and since then my interview decision is pending.....any chances of getting an II or might all the spots be gone by then? I am starting to assume that all II have gone out and I should just think about re-applying next year :(

Canadian student here.....Submitted my secondary application in September end and my file review was complete in November end and since then my interview decision is pending.....any chances of getting an II or might all the spots be gone by then? I am starting to assume that all II have gone out and I should just think about re-applying next year :(

THERE ARE couple of other Canadians in here, there is still one or two more round of II's to be sent out! Keep your hopes high ;)

It is not over till its over! :D

Reactions: 2 users
How do you know there are still more IIs being given out?

The interviews days will be taking place through March. Out of 16 interview days, about 14 or 15 are done, so one or two are still left and another member was indicating that she checked in with the Admins and they have indicated that not all IIs have been sent out thus far!

"I wanted to write a quick note and let you know of a change in our Admissions Committee meeting date. Originally, the committee was scheduled to meet on February 13th, but due to various conflicts we have rescheduled this meeting to February 15th. This date change will mean that we are not going to be able to provide you with an admissions decision until February 16th. Thank you for your understanding and patience. - Chris Austin"
Well... I've been waiting almost 10 months now for some positive results from this cycle so 3 more days of waiting is alright I guess... :whistle: I'm getting anxious/nervous!