2016-2017 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone who has interviewed here already, how'd it go?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I'm a current M1 at Einstein and while I've only been here for about a month now, I would be happy to (try to) answer questions anyone has about the school :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm a current M1 at Einstein and while I've only been here for about a month now, I would be happy to (try to) answer questions anyone has about the school :)
1. Do you have free time on the weekends to party?
2. Why did you pick Einstein over other schools?
3. What is the atmosphere like? Gunner or chillax?
4. How has the first month been? Find anything different than you expected it to be?

1. Do you have free time on the weekends to party?
2. Why did you pick Einstein over other schools?
3. What is the atmosphere like? Gunner or chillax?
4. How has the first month been? Find anything different than you expected it to be?

Yay good questions

1. Absolutely, yes. I've already been into the city a few times and even on some weeknights you'll find time to party! For example... last night the M2s put on this event for the M1s to celebrate our first test. It's called "around the world" and it's an Einstein tradition. Basically you join teams and go around to different people's apartments and drink, a lot. It was awesome. Barely anyone went to class today (lecture is always recorded and attendance is not mandatory)

2. I picked Einstein because I loved the social atmosphere, the P/F preclinical years, and because I wanted to live in New York for a while :) Oh AND it has a fantastic reputation in the medical community. I also love the housing situation. It is so cheap, and you get to live near all your new friends! It makes for a very familial atmosphere.

3. The atmosphere is very chillax. 99.9% of the people here are just awesome. I'm sure we have true P/F to thank for a lot of that, but I also think admissions goes out of the way to pick people who are chill.

4. My first month has been good so far! The workload is really a huge adjustment, but I think that's the case at any med school. I might be extra pleased with Einstein right now because we just had our first histo exam lol. I have minor complaints here and there, but nothing huge really. I'm happy here, and I come from really far out of state!

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Reactions: 4 users
so then how is AOA calculated? if there is no ranking for preclinical

So I am an MS2, so don't quote me entirely. So the way it works is that in third and fourth year you are on clinical rotations (surgery, OB/GYN, medicine, etc). For each rotation you will get a grade (pass, high pass, honors, etc). That is based on two things, faculty evaluations of you on those rotations plus a SHELF exam (which is a standardized exam everyone in the country takes for a specific rotation). Some rotations have 60% of your grade coming from the SHELF, 40% from evaluations; others have a different distribution. AOA is usually reserved for people who honored almost all their rotations, ie they didn't honor one. This changes year to year.

AOA is important but if you killed your boards, did really well in the core rotations, and did research in the field you want to go into, plus interacted with a good number of people in the department you want to go into; you can definitely match well.

2cents on the above questions
3) I think in every year there are always people who want to go into the "hot specialties" (ie specialties that either pay really well, have good lifestyles, or both) and hence may be labeled as "gunners". Classic examples are dermatology, ortho, neurosurgery. The big thing is that at Einstein nobody really gets in your way, there is no one who is going to sabotage you; its up to you on how well you want to do. If you wanna pass, thats fine; if you wanna do great, thats fine too.
4) The first month is definitely an adjustment; however one of the really great things is that you start off with histology and not anatomy. I think starting off with anatomy definitely makes the adjustment harder.

Hope it helps

Reactions: 3 users
Yay good questions

1. Absolutely, yes. I've already been into the city a few times and even on some weeknights you'll find time to party! For example... last night the M2s put on this event for the M1s to celebrate our first test. It's called "around the world" and it's an Einstein tradition. Basically you join teams and go around to different people's apartments and drink, a lot. It was awesome. Barely anyone went to class today (lecture is always recorded and attendance is not mandatory)

2. I picked Einstein because I loved the social atmosphere, the P/F preclinical years, and because I wanted to live in New York for a while :) Oh AND it has a fantastic reputation in the medical community. I also love the housing situation. It is so cheap, and you get to live near all your new friends! It makes for a very familial atmosphere.

3. The atmosphere is very chillax. 99.9% of the people here are just awesome. I'm sure we have true P/F to thank for a lot of that, but I also think admissions goes out of the way to pick people who are chill.

4. My first month has been good so far! The workload is really a huge adjustment, but I think that's the case at any med school. I might be extra pleased with Einstein right now because we just had our first histo exam lol. I have minor complaints here and there, but nothing huge really. I'm happy here, and I come from really far out of state!

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

So I am an MS2, so don't quote me entirely. So the way it works is that in third and fourth year you are on clinical rotations (surgery, OB/GYN, medicine, etc). For each rotation you will get a grade (pass, high pass, honors, etc). That is based on two things, faculty evaluations of you on those rotations plus a SHELF exam (which is a standardized exam everyone in the country takes for a specific rotation). Some rotations have 60% of your grade coming from the SHELF, 40% from evaluations; others have a different distribution. AOA is usually reserved for people who honored almost all their rotations, ie they didn't honor one. This changes year to year.

AOA is important but if you killed your boards, did really well in the core rotations, and did research in the field you want to go into, plus interacted with a good number of people in the department you want to go into; you can definitely match well.

2cents on the above questions
3) I think in every year there are always people who want to go into the "hot specialties" (ie specialties that either pay really well, have good lifestyles, or both) and hence may be labeled as "gunners". Classic examples are dermatology, ortho, neurosurgery. The big thing is that at Einstein nobody really gets in your way, there is no one who is going to sabotage you; its up to you on how well you want to do. If you wanna pass, thats fine; if you wanna do great, thats fine too.
4) The first month is definitely an adjustment; however one of the really great things is that you start off with histology and not anatomy. I think starting off with anatomy definitely makes the adjustment harder.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the info!!!!

Are they receptive of in the area-ish updates?

Are they receptive of in the area-ish updates?

I'd like to know this too, I've got an interview at another school in New York coming up, it would be nice to have both of them in the same trip, assuming that Einstein decides they want to interview me.

Just am trying to get a sense of balance, I applied completed early July OOS Lizzy 71 I did work a summer doing research at Einstein, anyway, radio science, have I most probably been passed over..

Has anyone been interviewed @ Einstein so far?

Has anyone been interviewed @ Einstein so far?
I recently interviewed here and LOVED it. I decided post-interview that this school is my top choice! The interview day was very relaxed with a one-on-one interview that was about 45 minutes long with a physician (some people's interviews were on campus and others were at the doctor's office) as well as a lunch with current students and a brief campus tour.

Reactions: 4 users
I recently interviewed here and LOVED it. I decided post-interview that this school is my top choice! The interview day was very relaxed with a one-on-one interview that was about 45 minutes long with a physician (some people's interviews were on campus and others were at the doctor's office) as well as a lunch with current students and a brief campus tour.
what sort of questions did the interviewer ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
what sort of questions did the interviewer ask?
They really want to get to know you, so based on my conversation and what I heard from other interviewees, there really isn't a script or common questions that are asked. The interview is open file, so they asked me about my experiences, especially those that stood out to them, as well as my goals, opinions about different issues in medicine and my personal hobbies, and the conversation pretty much just flowed from these general topics. Other people talked about their research, while some didn't talk about medicine much at all, so it really depends on the applicant, the interviewer and what you find you enjoy discussing with each other.

Hi :) How do you like it so far? Were you an IS applicant? I am from Florida so I was wondering how the vibe is in your opinion (if you are OOS). Also, any interview advice?

Uhh is anyone still waiting on their complete email from Einstein? I submitted secondary on 8/20 and still haven't heard anything from them :(

Uhh is anyone still waiting on their complete email from Einstein? I submitted secondary on 8/20 and still haven't heard anything from them :(
I would call I got completed the same day I applied which was in early september .

Does Einstein have an applicant portal of some sort to check the status of your application?

I would call I got completed the same day I applied which was in early september .

Are you referring to the secondary completion email? I also received an email the same day I submitted the secondary (8/28) but have yet to receive an application complete email.

Are you referring to the secondary completion email? I also received an email the same day I submitted the secondary (8/28) but have yet to receive an application complete email.
Einstein may take a while to mark you complete. Forget days. It might be weeks or months. Take a look at last year's thread. Some people were waiting for a long time. I'm a reapplicant here and I submitted my secondary at the very beginning of September and they didn't mark it complete until the end of October. I didn't interview until the end of March. Applying to medical school is all about waiting and patience.

I just received the email saying my application is complete. I submitted my letters and secondaries ~2 weeks ago, for reference. Hope the rest of you get your emails soon!

I received my completion email 20 days after submitting

As you can see its variable.

Talked to someone on the phone just now and they said they are on the first week of August and they review applications according the time they were submitted so you have to wait a few weeks

Talked to someone on the phone just now and they said they are on the first week of August and they review applications according the time they were submitted so you have to wait a few weeks

As in they are reviewing apps for interviews submitted in the first week of August, or apps that were complete by that date?

Reactions: 2 users

It is nice of you to have the initiative to call! Thanks for the update. I can only be patient at this point.

Thanks so much for calling! I'm a reapplicant here too, but I believe last cycle it took a little less than a month for me to be marked complete. I guess it is "variable" but I doubt it truly is. Perhaps some people just have eye popping stats/app and they get moved to the front of the line.

By the time they get to the end of August, it'll be Christmas. Yay, presents! :D

It must be submitted, not completed. I was verified and submitted my secondary at the end of July and I got my app complete email a few weeks ago, but my letters weren't in until the middle of August.

I love this school so I think its worth the wait. And I normally find the admissions for most schools to be super chill and receptive to calls dont know if its my soothing Barry White voice that causing that lolz

It must be submitted, not completed. I was verified and submitted my secondary at the end of July and I got my app complete email a few weeks ago, but my letters weren't in until the middle of August.
yeah I made a mistake. I mean she said people who submitted their apps around that time are being checked to be marked for completion.

In case it helps anyone, I submitted the beginning of Aug and got a complete email about 1-2 weeks ago.

Anyone with a II receive an email from the Diversity Enhancement Office?

I have an interview in the morning, and then a flight that leaves at 5 PM. Will I have enough time to make the flight? Should I let Einstein know my travel plans? (I saw somewhere in the info about interviewing to let them know if you need to get away by a certain time)

Hi :) How do you like it so far? Were you an IS applicant? I am from Florida so I was wondering how the vibe is in your opinion (if you are OOS). Also, any interview advice?
I love it so far! Like you, I'm from OOS (not too far away actually). It depends on what sort of environment you want to be in- personally, I really wanted to leave my home state and experience a different culture. But I'm not gonna lie, there are a ton of IS students. And most of the rest are from the northeast. There is a sizable group of people from California though.

I'm enjoying being a token southern girl, personally. People ask lots of questions and are also eager to show off New York to us :)

As far as interview advice goes, I know everyone says this, but try to be yourself and show some personality. I think this is especially important at Einstein, where it seems like they try to build a class full of cool people, rather than premed robots. I know that's easier said than done, but it really is the best advice.

I have an interview in the morning, and then a flight that leaves at 5 PM. Will I have enough time to make the flight? Should I let Einstein know my travel plans? (I saw somewhere in the info about interviewing to let them know if you need to get away by a certain time)

If you have a morning interview, you should be fine for a flight at 5PM especially if you're flying out of LGA. The morning interviewees at my interview day were finished around 2PM. I don't think you'll need to inform them about your travel plans.

I love it so far! Like you, I'm from OOS (not too far away actually). It depends on what sort of environment you want to be in- personally, I really wanted to leave my home state and experience a different culture. But I'm not gonna lie, there are a ton of IS students. And most of the rest are from the northeast. There is a sizable group of people from California though.

I'm enjoying being a token southern girl, personally. People ask lots of questions and are also eager to show off New York to us :)

As far as interview advice goes, I know everyone says this, but try to be yourself and show some personality. I think this is especially important at Einstein, where it seems like they try to build a class full of cool people, rather than premed robots. I know that's easier said than done, but it really is the best advice.

Thanks for your answer!! And ok yay I'm super excited :)

II! Complete 7/11

I was complete late July and radio silence... Glad to see we are still in the running, though maybe just not first-round draft picks!

I was complete late July and radio silence... Glad to see we are still in the running, though maybe just not first-round draft picks!
Samesies! Complete mid July! II today.

dumb question: "I have taken off at least a year since college graduation"

This means taken off from school right? Like to work or do other things?

dumb question: "I have taken off at least a year since college graduation"

This means taken off from school right? Like to work or do other things?
Yep, it's asking you if you've already taken at least 1 gap year

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile