2016-2017 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone get housing placement yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Housing here is notoriously slow. Don't expect to hear anything until the week before you matriculate, especially if you got accepted late in the cycle. I got accepted in mid-July off the waitlist and didn't hear about my actual apartment assignment until the day before orientation.

When in July were you accepted? Is it common for there to be such late movements at AECOM or is the class usually already filled by mid-June? And did you keep them constantly updated until you got your acceptance?

Also, were you from the regular or hpwl?

Reactions: 1 user
When I interviewed here, I was told AECM will pay to send students to medical conferences. Has anyone seen any information about this on the website?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Today we received the list of textbooks for the intro bio course. Excited! Can't wait to start.

Reactions: 1 users
Today we received the list of textbooks for the intro bio course. Excited! Can't wait to start.
Im stoked too. Not eligible for the course but really excited to finally start med school after this crazy cycle!!

Hey Apple_1, I did the biochem course last year. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. That goes for anyone with questions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything from housing? I know they said we should hear from them in late June, I was just wondering if anyone received something yet?

Has anyone heard anything from housing? I know they said we should hear from them in late June, I was just wondering if anyone received something yet?
haven't heard yet either. my friend who just finished his first year at Einstein said we'll probably get something in the mail by the end of the month?

Reactions: 1 users

I haven't heard either, but I'm sure they'll roll in by the end of next week, at least. Comparing on last year's thread students seemed to receive their housing info last of June/1st week of July.

Thank you, @nomnom123! That's so nice of you!

Did you guys receive the reminders for OSHA deadline? That's generic, right?

Did you guys receive the reminders for OSHA deadline? That's generic, right?
I did, it scared me a little because I sent everything in already haha. I assume it's generic because after I submitted everything Tina said I was set. I'm still going to call tomorrow to make sure; I received the email today after office hours were over.

I did, it scared me a little because I sent everything in already haha. I assume it's generic because after I submitted everything Tina said I was set. I'm still going to call tomorrow to make sure; I received the email today after office hours were over.
It sounds more of a threat than a reminder. Can't imagine someone getting kicked out just because they send in the forms last. It's like surviving the war then being killed by a mosquito bite...

Haven't heard from housing either. Anyone think the office will be open on Monday?
Edit: Called on Monday, they said they're still processing things.

Last edited:
Has anybody heard about anybody recently withdrawing from Einstein or anybody recently getting accepted? I know time is running out, but I am trying to stay optimistic about my chances of getting in!

Hey Everyone,

I am at a bit of an impasse here. Was planning to go to SUNY Downstate but just got in off the waitlist at Einstein. I posted on the x vs. y forums, but wanted to through it up here as any med student input would be greatly appreciated.

28 y/o M non-trad moving from SF to NYC. Background in software sales and real estate before making the switch.

Any and all input would be appreciated!

Downstate

Pros
  • -- Live off campus in a fun part of New York = better dating scene, more diversity of people to interact with, feels more like living in a city
  • -- (Supposedly) Incredible clinical experience, a big priority for me
  • Really like the education model with the Neuro and Clinical Educator pathways + Integrated Pathways Curriculum = more clinical focus (1.5 pre/2.5 clinical)
  • Better interview day; really connected with my interviewer and liked the students I saw and met; really good vibes (also very important)

Cons
  • -- No savings on tuition as COL and OOS Tuition for first year make it same price as Einstein (~$320,000 when all is said and done)
  • -- Comparable, albeit slightly worse match list compared to Einstein, esp. when it comes to West Coast matches (another big priority)
  • Not getting a great vibe from admissions office in terms of accessibility and competence; seems like there isn't much investment in school's administrative staff (not a huge deal but not a great look either)
  • Not much of a rep on the West Coast
  • Older buildings, but Einstein ain't much better TBH...

Einstein
Pros
  • -- Great reputation within medical community = prestige, name recognition, slight edge in matches
  • -- Nice students, but didn't get the same sense of collegiality as I did at Downstate (small sample size of interview day though so.....)
  • -- Research oriented; not something that is a priority for me necessarily, but an area of medicine I hope to learn more about anyway + lots of opportunities there (anyone who can expand on research and how that really impacts residency apps would be appreciated!)
  • Excellent hospital system as well, although I am unsure how the clinical rep at Einstein stacks up to Downstate
  • Campus vibe, which could also be a con. As an older non-trad I'm worried I might get bored stuck way out in campus island that is Einstein, although it seems like they do a good job of fostering a communal environment. The jury's out for me on this.

Cons
  • -- Campus Island in the Bronx
  • -- Higher Tuition, but unknowable at this point if that will change, so this could be a Pro
  • -- Older education model
  • -- OK interview session, had a nice talk with my interviewer but we didn't connect and she prep before the interview

Summary: Feels like this boils down to reputation vs. lifestyle, but with many shades of gray on each side. Any insight from current students or applicants would be welcome.

Does anyone know when move-in day is? For the non-biochem ppl. Is it on orientation day (August 13) or before? Thanks

I think you should go where you like more. Every doctor I have talked to says once you get above a certain level, prestige really doesn't matter. The city living is really awesome. But I also really like einstein so I'm bias.

QUOTE="Ag20md, post: 19087919, member: 862752"]Hey Everyone,

I am at a bit of an impasse here. Was planning to go to SUNY Downstate but just got in off the waitlist at Einstein. I posted on the x vs. y forums, but wanted to through it up here as any med student input would be greatly appreciated.

28 y/o M non-trad moving from SF to NYC. Background in software sales and real estate before making the switch.

Downstate

Pros
  • -- Live off campus in a fun part of New York = better dating scene, more diversity of people to interact with, feels more like living in a city
  • Really like the education model with the Neuro and Clinical Educator pathways + Integrated Pathways Curriculum = more clinical focus (1.5 pre/2.5 clinical)
  • Better interview day; really connected with my interviewer and liked the students I saw and met; really good vibes (also very important)

Cons
  • -- No savings on tuition as COL and OOS Tuition for first year make it same price as Einstein (~$320,000 when all is said and done)
  • -- Comparable, albeit slightly worse match list compared to Einstein, esp. when it comes to West Coast matches (another big priority)
  • Not getting a great vibe from admissions office in terms of accessibility and competence; seems like there isn't much investment in school's administrative staff (not a huge deal but not a great look either)

Einstein
Pros
  • -- Great reputation within medical community = prestige, name recognition, slight edge in matches
  • -- Nice students, but didn't get the same sense of collegiality as I did at Downstate (small sample size of interview day though so.....)
  • -- Research oriented; not something that is a priority for me necessarily, but an area of medicine I hope to learn more about anyway + lots of opportunities there (anyone who can expand on research and how that really impacts residency apps would be appreciated!)
  • Excellent hospital system as well, although I am unsure how the clinical rep at Einstein stacks up to Downstate
  • Campus vibe, which could also be a con. As an older non-trad I'm worried I might get bored stuck way out in campus island that is Einstein, although it seems like they do a good job of fostering a communal environment. The jury's out for me on this.

Cons
  • -- Higher Tuition, but unknowable at this point if that will change, so this could be a Pro
  • -- OK interview session, had a nice talk with my interviewer but we didn't connect and she prep before the interview

Summary: Feels like this boils down to reputation vs. lifestyle, but with many shades of gray on each side. Any insight from current students or applicants would be welcome.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! I'm gomna be biased as well since I'm matriculating here. But if you want specific feedback from med students you can go back a few pages and PM them individually. I know a resident (who was a MS4 while I was interviewing) and can give you their contact information if you PM me. Either way I'm sure you'll do great. See you in the fall if you choose Einstein!

Hey Everyone,

Downstate

Pros

Cons

Einstein
Pros

Cons

Summary: Feels like this boils down to reputation vs. lifestyle, but with many shades of gray on each side. Any insight from current students or applicants would be welcome.

Hey Everyone,

Downstate

Pros

Cons

Einstein
Pros

Cons

If I'm you, I choose Einstein. You set yourself up better to match into a good residency with Einstein, plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interviewed March 20th. Waitlisted April 24th. Accepted today.

My first US med school acceptance! Miracles do happen guys!!

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone have technical trouble with the required orientation modules (alcohol/preventing sexual assault)? The first two I completed without issue but the last two didn't record my progress.

Looking for some advice in terms of getting a new device. Would a Macbook or Ipad Pro be better suited for school? I currently have a '12 Macbook Pro, had to get it fixed a couple time and it works decently now but not sure how it will last within the next few months. I like the touch capability of Ipads but not sure if they are adequate for med school.

Looking for some advice in terms of getting a new device. Would a Macbook or Ipad Pro be better suited for school? I currently have a '12 Macbook Pro, had to get it fixed a couple time and it works decently now but not sure how it will last within the next few months. I like the touch capability of Ipads but not sure if they are adequate for med school.
All your exams at Einstein you take on your laptop so you definitely need a reliable laptop- ipads won't suffice

Does anyone know if AE has something like blackboard or canvas where we can see test dates and a course schedule?

Does anyone know if AE has something like blackboard or canvas where we can see test dates and a course schedule?

So we use Canvas for all educational materials. They recently switched to it last year. You can actually subscribe to a calendar made by the school through canvas and it will show you all of your tests and required events and classes. You can also subscribe to an events calendar which shows you all of the student events during the year.