2016-2017 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They wouldn't put 2 different years otherwise half the applicants would choose the wrong one in a hurry and give them more headaches. Lol

Members don't see this ad.

Mine says 2016-2017. Does yours says 2017/2018?!?!? :nailbiting:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 9.48.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 9.48.06 AM.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 130
Ah I wish I had realized this was an easy secondary, I would have submitted earlier! Just finished today.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you have left this question blank? I see previous posters have left it blank but later submitted a LOI. I feel like leaving it blank but that feels weird. Thoughts?
upload_2016-7-22_12-51-0.png

To answer your question:

I left it blank last year and got accepted. Just make sure there isn't anything else you want to add to your application, and if not, leave it blank. It's probably better to leave that prompt blank than to try forcing an unnecessary response.

A "why Einstein" should be written in a Letter of Interest/Intent. Regardless, writing a compelling "why Einstein" in just 200 words will be difficult. I ended up writing two letters after submitting my secondary and my total word count was ~700 words between them.

RE being complete: I submitted my secondary on 7/12 and have been waiting on my committee letter. AMCAS received my committee letter today, and I got the complete email from Einstein literally 9 minutes later!

LizzyM ~76 which is not outlandish for them... Not sure why it would be instant for me and take months for others?

RE being complete: I submitted my secondary on 7/12 and have been waiting on my committee letter. AMCAS received my committee letter today, and I got the complete email from Einstein literally 9 minutes later!

LizzyM ~76 which is not outlandish for them... Not sure why it would be instant for me and take months for others?

Einstein's process doesn't seem to be very linear.

So apparently this school interviews a ton of people (~1,400 is what I've heard), but their entering class is also pretty big. Is it safe to say that getting an interview isn't that huge of a deal then?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So apparently this school interviews a ton of people (~1,400 is what I've heard), but their entering class is also pretty big. Is it safe to say that getting an interview isn't that huge of a deal then?

So in regards to the amount of people interviewed (it is a large amount). I don't know what the exact number is but when I applied it was 1,000+. Also, the entering class is usually around 180 people (this includes the MSTP's). If you subtract them, the class size is around 170 approx.

However, keep in mind that more than 170 people get accepted. Almost every school accepts more people than are actually in the class because they know people will hold multiple acceptances and therefore have to pick one school over another. How many more people they accept depends on the school and applicants.

Hope it helps

So I heard from a friend that the LOR max was 5 letters and I see here that its 4. Sent in 1 extra. What do I do now? :/

Can they really fault me for something that wasn't posted on their website?

Last edited:
I sent in 5 too. Where does it say 4 max?

Post #96
"So I just called their admissions office to follow up on this. Einstein requires the 2 science faculty letters, but if you want to send extra letters, then you may send up to 2 more letters of recommendation of any kind through AMCAS."
I'm kind of worried, but it never said a maximum of 4 on their website's LOR page. All the schools that I've applied to with strict maximums have acknowledged that on their websites.

Post #96
"So I just called their admissions office to follow up on this. Einstein requires the 2 science faculty letters, but if you want to send extra letters, then you may send up to 2 more letters of recommendation of any kind through AMCAS."
I'm kind of worried, but it never said a maximum of 4 on their website's LOR page. All the schools that I've applied to with strict maximums have acknowledged that on their websites.

Oh I see. So it's not actually in writing on their page or secondary? I thought I had missed something. In that case, I don't think they can fault us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I see. So it's not actually in writing on their page or secondary? I thought I had missed something. In that case, I don't think they can fault us.

Nope, it's not. Also, after going through a few Einstein threads, I've realized that some applicants have received emails asking for an additional letter from a professor in their major department or someone from a department other than their major. In this case, those people could ultimately be sending more than 4.

Can a current student comment on how they deal with 5 letters?

About the LORs, it's kind of vaguely mentioned, but not really specified for people without committee letters on their website (https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...ication-procedure/recommendation-letters.aspx):

"Applicants are encouraged to include with their AMCAS letter packet one or two additional letters of recommendation from individuals with whom they have worked closely."

I only called their office to verify that they take up to 4 individual letters. MSAR also notes that their max number of letters is 4, though they can't really fault you for not buying MSAR.

I would just call their office to see how they handle 5 letters; they were super friendly and helpful when I called.

Reactions: 1 user
About the LORs, it's kind of vaguely mentioned, but not really specified for people without committee letters on their website (https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...ication-procedure/recommendation-letters.aspx):

"Applicants are encouraged to include with their AMCAS letter packet one or two additional letters of recommendation from individuals with whom they have worked closely."

I only called their office to verify that they take up to 4 individual letters. MSAR also notes that their max number of letters is 4, though they can't really fault you for not buying MSAR.

I would just call their office to see how they handle 5 letters; they were super friendly and helpful when I called.

Key words being "encouraged" and "letter packet." We could easily interpret that as "we encourage you to send at least 1-2 more letters."
With the word "letter packet" being thrown around, it can easily sound like they are referring to applicants with committee letter packets.

Key words being "encouraged" and "letter packet." We could easily interpret that as "we encourage you to send at least 1-2 more letters."
With the word "letter packet" being thrown around, it can easily sound like they are referring to applicants with committee letter packets.

Yeah that's what confused me too. Most schools are pretty explicit in their LOR standards for either type of applicant (committee vs individual letters). I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. If you met their minimum requirements, but sent extra letters, I think they can only help your application, so long as they're good letters.

Anyone having trouble creating a new account? It says they can't match my AMCAS ID in their system and to wait for my invitation email but my email came this morning :(

Getting an interview is always a big deal. If they offer you an interview then they are considering accepting you. So every interview is important. It's the adcom's chance to actually get to know who you are.

Also, if you compare Einstein's stats last year to Cornell then that many interviews doesn't seem like a lot. (Einstein's class size is almost double that of Cornell).

Cornell:
Applicants received was 6183.
Applicants interviewed was 800.
Matriculants was 106.

Einstein:
Applicants received was 8138.
Applicants interviewed approximately 1200 applicants.
Matriculants was 183.

Getting an interview is always a big deal. If they offer you an interview then they are considering accepting you. So every interview is important. It's the adcom's chance to actually get to know who you are.

Also, if you compare Einstein's stats last year to Cornell then that many interviews doesn't seem like a lot. (Einstein's class size is almost double that of Cornell).

Cornell:
Applicants received was 6183.
Applicants interviewed was 800.
Matriculants was 106.

Einstein:
Applicants received was 8138.
Applicants interviewed approximately 1200 applicants.
Matriculants was 183.

Well said, and good point!

Anyone having trouble creating a new account? It says they can't match my AMCAS ID in their system and to wait for my invitation email but my email came this morning :(
I had the same problem last year. Wait a day or two and it should be fine. If it doesn't then call admissions.

Just realized I submitted my application with a minor typo. So bummed. Did I ruin my chances?

Last edited:
Just realized I submitted my application with a minor typo. So bummed. Did I ruin my chances?

It's too late now, so I'd say don't stress about it. If it's minor, it will probably go unnoticed. The adcom are human too.

anyone know when they start sending out IIs?

If anyone is nervous about the fact that this school is in the Bronx, don't be! The Bronx is amazing and usually gets a really bad reputation. It's so culturally diverse, and it has never felt unsafe to me before. Plus I really love Morris Park and Pelham Gardens; they are both great neighborhoods. Plus the Bronx Zoo/Park/NY Botanical Gardens nearby is a huge plus.

Okay so this is probably a terribly stupid question… But I am having trouble finding my application status on the portal. Could someone please direct me?

Okay so this is probably a terribly stupid question… But I am having trouble finding my application status on the portal. Could someone please direct me?

They don't have anything like that. Once you submit your secondary, that "portal" is essentially useless. If I remember correctly from last year, they don't even want you calling them to check your status. The only thing you can do now is wait for them to email you. If they want to interview you, they'll email.

Reactions: 2 users
To register a new account, is the SSN only for U.S. citizens, or can I use my Social Insurance Number? I am Canadian.

I just received the email saying my application is complete. I submitted my letters and secondaries ~2 weeks ago, for reference. Hope the rest of you get your emails soon!
Is that the same as "You have successfully completed the secondary application"? I'm not sure if they have my letters

It's this:

"We are happy to inform you that your application to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine is complete, and will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

If you have applied to the combined M.D./Ph.D. Program, you will be contacted directly by that Office. Please keep in mind that the deadline for completion of the M.D./Ph.D. application is December 1st. The deadline for the MD 2017 entering class is December 31st.

If your application is favorably reviewed during a preliminary screening, you will be invited for an interview via email. We would appreciate your not calling the office to ascertain the disposition of your folder."

I never received this completion email, and I submitted the app on July 19th. When did you submit yours?

I submitted my secondary on 7/21 and I was sent the complete email on 7/22.

I felt so judged filling out this secondary :rofl:

Reactions: 4 users
I felt so judged filling out this secondary :rofl:
This is exactly, exactly what I felt. I even talked about it with my friends when I submitted my app. Put me in a weird mood.

The secondary def left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully if we get interviews they are a bit nicer lol

This is exactly, exactly what I felt. I even talked about it with my friends when I submitted my app. Put me in a weird mood.

"Did you miss a class at any time in college? If so, explain why you made this decision"

PSA: THIS IS NOT AN ACTUAL QUESTION ON THE SECONDARY

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
"Did you miss a class at any time in college? If so, explain why you made this decision"

How many times while carrying at least $5.00 have you looked a homeless person in the eyes, lied, and said "Sorry, man. Don't have my wallet."?

Reactions: 5 users
How many times while carrying at least $5.00 have you looked a homeless person in the eyes, lied, and said "Sorry, man. Don't have my wallet."?
Watch us get a rejection letter for this tomorrow :thinking:

Did other people actually put down that they missed a class and why? I'm kinda nervous now and feel like I should email them and ask if I can edit my secondary

Did other people actually put down that they missed a class and why? I'm kinda nervous now and feel like I should email them and ask if I can edit my secondary

Lol I honestly don't remember that question at all.

Yea I don't either, that's why I'm scared hahah

Oh my gosh no, I was kidding:rofl:

I promise I'm not a terrible person

You all stink. Made me download a printable version to see if I missed a question....

I drafted an email to the adcom and was super sincere. I almost hit send too