2016-2017 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Watch us get a rejection letter for this tomorrow :thinking:

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."
- Albert Einstein

einsteins-tongue-e1403845699118.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So classic rookie error...I submitted my secondary and on the printout realized I had wrongly answered the question for average hours worked while in school and wrote 250 for the year instead of 13 for the week. I sent them an email correcting my error... Should I follow up with a TC? I worked as a research asst. at this school and it is one of my top choices...
Is it possible they removed this question from their secondary some time in July? I didn't see a question about working during the school year and I submitted towards the end of July.

Oh my gosh no, I was kidding:rofl:

I promise I'm not a terrible person
LOL I just looked back on my secondary to make sure I didn't forget to answer that question. I need to chill.

Reactions: 2 users
Edited my original post :laugh: Really sorry guys, I didn't mean to freak anyone out

Is it possible they removed this question from their secondary some time in July? I didn't see a question about working during the school year and I submitted towards the end of July.

When did you submit?

Just added this school. Real late to the party, but decided I've got to be in the city next year!

When did you submit?
7/19. I definitely did not have the question "I have worked part- or full-time, for pay, during the academic year while in college.
(Please indicate when you worked, e.g., freshman year, what months of the year you worked, and how many hours. Briefly describe the work you did.)" but I did have a place simply to fill in the number of hours I worked per week.

7/19. I definitely did not have the question "I have worked part- or full-time, for pay, during the academic year while in college.
(Please indicate when you worked, e.g., freshman year, what months of the year you worked, and how many hours. Briefly describe the work you did.)" but I did have a place simply to fill in the number of hours I worked per week.

I had that question, and the option to indicate, per year, the # of hours per week I worked.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was just a yes/no box under household info that you check and then you enter the number of hours/week. Did you guys have a spot to write out an explanation?

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah, same here. I did not have any of that either. I wouldn't worry about it given that all of us are seeing the same thing.

Yeah, same here. I did not have any of that either. I wouldn't worry about it given that all of us are seeing the same thing.
+1 only had box for hours per week (submitted 7/5)

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I received my completion email 20 days after submitting

I submitted 6/29, committee letter was sent 7/22, got the email on 7/26

I submitted my secondary on 7/21 and I was sent the complete email on 7/22.

I received an automatic email right after I completed my secondary:

"You have successfully completed the Secondary Application.
Thank you for your interest in Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Click here for a printable version of your application.."

But I have not received any manual email saying that my application file (including LORs) is complete. Which email did you guys get?

I received an automatic email right after I completed my secondary:

"You have successfully completed the Secondary Application.
Thank you for your interest in Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Click here for a printable version of your application.."

But I have not received any manual email saying that my application file (including LORs) is complete. Which email did you guys get?

Don't worry! You'll get an email saying your app is complete within the next 3-4 weeks, probably. It has no bearing on your interviews, etc. Just be patient.

So I just called their admissions office to follow up on this.

Einstein requires the 2 science faculty letters, but if you want to send extra letters, then you may send up to 2 more letters of recommendation of any kind through AMCAS.
Do they have to be from your department? Let's say I was a biochemistry major, could I use my physical chemistry's letter to fulfill this requirement?

No, it's just any science. I don't think they specifically need to be from any department.

No, it's just any science. I don't think they specifically need to be from any department.

Oh are you sure (sorry don't mean to be all pessimistic and all up in your grill about this)? The website talks about it briefly:

"is required that one of these letters be from a faculty member in the department of the applicant’s major, and the other from a science faculty member."

link: https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...ication-procedure/recommendation-letters.aspx

Oh are you sure (sorry don't mean to be all pessimistic and all up in your grill about this)? The website talks about it briefly:

"is required that one of these letters be from a faculty member in the department of the applicant’s major, and the other from a science faculty member."

link: https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...ication-procedure/recommendation-letters.aspx

I didn't ask about the major department. My set of letters cover all my bases, so I would just call the admissions office; they are super friendly people.

Do they have to be from your department? Let's say I was a biochemistry major, could I use my physical chemistry's letter to fulfill this requirement?
They're SUPER friendly! You need to have one letter from someone in your major department and one letter from someone in another science department other than your major. This is a very strict rule! The other 2 letters can come from another other subject.

For reapplicants, are you really listing all the schools you applied to in the previous year/? i think its getting a little ridiculous and rudely intrusive

Is it worth applying here with a 516 MCAT, 3.5gpa (last five semesters were 3.8), and 5 years of research (one paper)?

For reapplicants, are you really listing all the schools you applied to in the previous year/? i think its getting a little ridiculous and rudely intrusive
Yeah its kind of annoying I didnt list all of them just the ones I interviewed at (it was just one school). I think that information has nothing to do with your application. Honestly its none of the adcoms business.

Yeah its kind of annoying I didnt list all of them just the ones I interviewed at (it was just one school). I think that information has nothing to do with your application. Honestly its none of the adcoms business.
thank you for your commiseration @Gorilla-san that is a great way to handle. thank you!

So MSAR says that Einstein has moved to "competency based admissions" and that NO INTERVIEWS will occur this cycle. Can anyone confirm?

So MSAR says that Einstein has moved to "competency based admissions" and that NO INTERVIEWS will occur this cycle. Can anyone confirm?

I see where they changed to competency based admissions (which people are starting to do now), but I don't see the "no interview" thing.

I see where they changed to competency based admissions (which people are starting to do now), but I don't see the "no interview" thing.

If you check the MSAR Data for the 2016 entering class, you'll notice that the "number of interviewed applicants" field is 0 in all columns.

If you check the MSAR Data for the 2016 entering class, you'll notice that the "number of interviewed applicants" field is 0 in all columns.

O__O

I just checked myself too.
Yet their website still has the interview tab - so I'm not really sure what to make of this. How they assess competency potentially without the interview is beyond me...

They definitely interviewed last cycle.....I had a friend who went! I'm all but positive it's a typo.

The data is for the 2016 entering class. That's last year's cycle. Of course they did hundreds of interviews; I went on one myself. This is either a typo or Einstein declined to provide interview data to MSAR.

Does this school have any preference on OOS applicants? I recently payed the fee to university of washington then moments later found out it was a regional OOS thing.

I'm still kind of confused about the LOR requirements here... So I sent two individual science faculty letters because I thought the you may send additional letters comment referred to people with committee letter packets.. Should I send 1-2 more letters through AMCAS even though I've already submitted the secondary? Or should it be fine with the two letters?

"Applicants who have attended a school at which there is no Pre-Professional Advisory Committee must have at least two letters of recommendation from faculty members at that school. It is required that one of these letters be from a faculty member in the department of the applicant’s major, and the other from a science faculty member. If your major subject is science, it is required that the second letter be from a member of a science department different from the reference who is writing the first letter. Letters from teaching assistants will not satisfy this requirement, although TAs may co-sign letters with senior faculty."

I don't have a pre-med advisory committee at my school, so I submitted 2 letters: 1 from my major and 1 from another science department. I was marked complete.

Submitted secondary 7/22. Letters were uploaded to AMCAS 7/18. Just received a complete email today 8/16. o_O