2015-2016 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do people who are accepted get a phone call or snail mail letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much, hindukid!! As a 3rd-time MD applicant, I'm going to give it my best at every interview I get!!

As a 3rd time applicant myself...make sure you prepare best...be confident and human...

I am a third time applicant too and I would love for this school to interview me - hope they're still giving out II!

congrats to you both!

edit: also haven't received a single II which stinks :(

Reactions: 1 users
I am a third time applicant too and I would love for this school to interview me - hope they're still giving out II!

congrats to you both!

last year i got an interview in March.. I would not give up hope just yet.. hang in there i can understand that you might be anxious!! Give admissions a call and ask them are they giving out any more interviews?

Last year I got 3 interviews between feb to april...I was waitlisted (I was bad at interviewing, said some really stupid stuff)... i would not give up hope just yet!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

congrats to you both!

Thank you kindly, chocolate23! Keep your head up! It's not over!

Reactions: 1 user
last year i got an interview in March.. I would not give up hope just yet.. hang in there i can understand that you might be anxious!! Give admissions a call and ask them are they giving out any more interviews?

Last year I got 3 interviews between feb to april...I was waitlisted (I was bad at interviewing, said some really stupid stuff)... i would not give up hope just yet!

The anxiety levels are BEYOND high! All I do is check my email and SDN neurotically! Thank you for your comment - that makes me feel a little bit better that you got a later interview. it just stinks seeing people saying II are done for schools/it's late in the cycle - start looking into other plans. But, as you said, I am NOT giving up hope!

I have called some schools' adcoms but most don't pick up. I leave messages but no one calls back - I guess they are super busy.

thank you again!

The anxiety levels are BEYOND high! All I do is check my email and SDN neurotically! Thank you for your comment - that makes me feel a little bit better that you got a later interview. it just stinks seeing people saying II are done for schools/it's late in the cycle - start looking into other plans. But, as you said, I am NOT giving up hope!

I have called some schools' adcoms but most don't pick up. I leave messages but no one calls back - I guess they are super busy.

thank you again!
I know that feeling all too well!!! how many school did you apply to?

thank you again![/QUOT

thank you again!
If I don't get in this cycle, I am more optimistic for the next cycle. For one thing, a lot of schools are going to being increasing the # enrolled. For example, the University at Buffalo, for which I am also waitlisted, is going to increase the class size by 30% next cycle.

On the other hand, applying in itself is very time and energy consuming. I am resisting preparing to apply in the next cycle. However, I know as soon as this cycle is over, the next one will begin so I know I need to start preparing soon if things don't look any better.

Do people who are accepted get a phone call or snail mail letter?

They'll call you first. I got called on a Wednesday, and the official acceptance showed up in my mail 2 weeks later or so.

How long was it between your interview and the phone call?

Let's see... Looking back, I interviewed on 12/01, and heard back on 12/09. Really quick turnaround. Dr. Daniel told us we could hear back anywhere from that Wednesday till Friday. From my understanding, if we got a call, it was an acceptance. Else, email for waitlist or rejection.

Let's see... Looking back, I interviewed on 12/01, and heard back on 12/09. Really quick turnaround. Dr. Daniel told us we could hear back anywhere from that Wednesday till Friday. From my understanding, if we got a call, it was an acceptance. Else, email for waitlist or rejection.
Oh okay so everyone gets notified before the snail mail letter arrives?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II here on Friday! There were dates until the end of March. Does anyone know if the class is full yet?

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an II here on Friday! There were dates until the end of March. Does anyone know if the class is full yet?
CONGRATSS good luck. Unfortunately i have no information if the class is full or not. Maybe you can call them?

Hi all,
My app was viewed apparently on 12/18/2015. I submitted in early August. If I have not been rejected yet, is there any chance I will get an interview? What does it mean when they look at your app and make no decision. Are they just waiting for more spots to open up. I only ask because I have borderline stats so it would ake sense if they did this.

II today! pretty crazy wasn't expecting to hear back from places this late

Reactions: 8 users
Could any current students possibly post what their weekly schedule looks like in terms of class times etc?

Could any current students possibly post what their weekly schedule looks like in terms of class times etc?

General first year schedule (varies weekly and depending on the block but this is typical):

Monday: lecture 8-12, 1-2
Tuesday: ebcr, humanities, or ethics in the morning (can be 8:30-10:30 and 10:30-12:00 or just 10:30-12:00), then doctoring 1-5 pm
Wednesday: lecture 8-12, 1-2, anatomy lab 2-4
Thursday: dce 1-5
Friday: lecture 8-12

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is anyone else getting an Error when trying to login to the secondary website?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

How late does USF interview?

Whoa! II today that I was not expecting at all! Super excited to interview here! I'm OOS and will be interviewing for the Core program. Anyone have any tips or any idea what interview day is like here?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Whoa! II today that I was not expecting at all! Super excited to interview here! I'm OOS and will be interviewing for the Core program. Anyone have any tips or any idea what interview day is like here?

Congrats! Just interviewed here not too long ago, what the others have said in the rest of this thread is generally accurate. Interviewers and other faculty are all very friendly and relaxed. They also do a tour, quick lunch, etc. (standard stuff), nothing out of the ordinary you need to prepare for. The medical school and students has a diverse array of interests, so don't feel like you need to "impress" upon any particular point--just be friendly and be yourself!

Congrats! Just interviewed here not too long ago, what the others have said in the rest of this thread is generally accurate. Interviewers and other faculty are all very friendly and relaxed. They also do a tour, quick lunch, etc. (standard stuff), nothing out of the ordinary you need to prepare for. The medical school and students has a diverse array of interests, so don't feel like you need to "impress" upon any particular point--just be friendly and be yourself!

Thanks for your response! Have you already heard back? It seems like they get back to people really fast.

@flyer04

Not yet, Dr. Daniel said we would hear back in no more than 1 month (via USPS), though I imagine many people get their news more quickly than that.

the best advice i can give is to enjoy yourself...be happy that you are there and be grateful. Be yourself, I was there and I just had fun..i joked around talked to people.. but remember to be sincere and human when interview.. the fun part is so you dont get too stressed out...biggest is to be yourself and honest! other than that.. good luck!!!! and congrats!

the best advice i can give is to enjoy yourself...be happy that you are there and be grateful. Be yourself, I was there and I just had fun..i joked around talked to people.. but remember to be sincere and human when interview.. the fun part is so you dont get too stressed out...biggest is to be yourself and honest! other than that.. good luck!!!! and congrats!

Thanks! I appreciate the response.

And questions for current students or those who have interviewed that might know.

Can you be granted I state status for tuition purposes after one year of attendance? This is the case for a couple of other schools I interviewed at, but I know it's not the case for all schools. If anyone knows it would be awesome to find out.

And questions for current students or those who have interviewed that might know.

Can you be granted I state status for tuition purposes after one year of attendance? This is the case for a couple of other schools I interviewed at, but I know it's not the case for all schools. If anyone knows it would be awesome to find out.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong, I think you can get in-state status after 1 year. That might be a good question to ask the financial aid officer, as they do a presentation during the interview day!

Anyone correct me if I am wrong, I think you can get in-state status after 1 year. That might be a good question to ask the financial aid officer, as they do a presentation during the interview day!

That's awesome! Thanks for answering. I'll definitely make sure to ask the financial aid officer. But it's good to have an idea of what to expect. That difference in tuition is a game changer for sure. Haha. Thanks again!

http://www.registrar.usf.edu/Residency/Qualifying/

Just got waitlisted via snail mail. Interviewed 2/16. Pretty upset because my interview went so well. It makes me feel like I was interviewing for the waitlist. But there is not much one can do. Hopefully I can get off this waitlist. I would love to go here!

Just got waitlisted via snail mail. Interviewed 2/16. Pretty upset because my interview went so well. It makes me feel like I was interviewing for the waitlist. But there is not much one can do. Hopefully I can get off this waitlist. I would love to go here!

That's a bummer. I hope you can get in as well. Did they say anything about how full the class was at your interview? Or what the movement off the wait list is like?

That's a bummer. I hope you can get in as well. Did they say anything about how full the class was at your interview? Or what the movement off the wait list is like?

They didn't really talk about the class being full or anything during my interview, but the first years all said that there is a good amount of wait list movement. So that's good! Good luck to you

Does anyone know if USF awards scholarships to those in the select program and if so, what percentage of students get scholarships/the amount? thanks!

I interviewed on 2/8 and haven't received a call/snail mail. Seems odd considering someone from a later interview date heard and they seem relatively systematic about the time post interview. My portal hasn't updated either.

Thoughts?

I interviewed on 2/8 and haven't received a call/snail mail. Seems odd considering someone from a later interview date heard and they seem relatively systematic about the time post interview. My portal hasn't updated either.

Thoughts?

Did you interview for CORE or Select?

Thoughts?
I interviewed for CORE so I'm not sure if the SELECT interviewees are given a different timeline for when they should hear back. Again, my decision was sent via snail mail and my portal isn't updated yet either.