2015-2016 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II about an hour ago for Core. I'm so excited!!
CONGRATS!!!!!! good luck on your interview dude!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I got an interview invite for Core about 3.5 hours ago!! I'm absolutely thrilled!! (my 2nd II overall -- a 6month gap between II's)

513 MCAT (11,10,14,10), 3.97 masters GPA, lower ugpa, reapplicant, OOS, app complete 8/15

Reactions: 6 users
I got an interview invite for Core about 3.5 hours ago!! I'm absolutely thrilled!! (my 2nd II overall -- a 6month gap between II's)

513 MCAT (11,10,14,10), 3.97 masters GPA, lower ugpa, reapplicant, OOS, app complete 8/15
AWESOME that is great man!! good luck to you toooo!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
AWESOME that is great man!! good luck to you toooo!!!

Thank you so much, hindukid!! As a 3rd-time MD applicant, I'm going to give it my best at every interview I get!!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much, hindukid!! As a 3rd-time MD applicant, I'm going to give it my best at every interview I get!!
As a 3rd time applicant myself...make sure you prepare best...be confident and human...

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone gotten a call, email, or status change from the 1/26 interview?

Yeah, I had 2 faculty. Just relax on interview day. I believe it's 2 interviews, 45 minutes to an hour each, open file. They just want to get to know you a bit better, make sure you're a normal person and can articulate your thoughts. Check out the USF interview feedback page here on SDN for examples of the kinds of questions you might get. It helped a lot for mine. USF was my best interview experience so far, everyone there is just so nice! Good luck!

where is the USF interview feedback page?

Is the format of SELECT interview like MMI? Is there a chance to get accepted to CORE from SELECT waitlist?

Is the format of SELECT interview like MMI? Is there a chance to get accepted to CORE from SELECT waitlist?
If i remember correctly, SELECT is not MMI...they might have changed it..but I am not sure.

Interviewed here on the 19th, wait listed on Tuesday. :( Hoping for the best!

For those that have interviewed, were you asked any questions on the status of health care in the U.S. or any other health care related questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have interviewed, were you asked any questions on the status of health care in the U.S. or any other health care related questions?
I wasn't asked any questions about this, but you should definitely be prepared to answer if they do come up. And that really applies to any of your interviews because I've heard of people being asked about Obamacare/ACA (at other schools, however).

Here are some quick videos that were really good at explaining the gist of it:

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
II yesterday for Core, turned it down. Hope it goes to one of you deserving folks!! Good luck!

I actually was, yeah. Only interview I've been asked that.

They asked me couple I think. I had a professor with MD/MPH, and he had asked me about my research, healthcare experience, what I learned from shadowing.. a lot of things..

Does anyone know when accepted students are supposed to send in transcripts?
I already sent mine, so I guess after acceptance?
Everyone told me the interviewers won't, but one of mine asked about my opinion on it, and checked that I knew some of the basics behind ACA

House for rent - Available June/July
I complete training in June and will be moving out of state. I need to find a tenant (preferably within the GME community) for my house in New Tampa. If anyone is interested, please contact me at [email protected] .

Details about my house: Built in 2014. 2,300 square feet. 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. Fenced back yard. Excellent schools. Great neighbors. Conveniently located in near USF, Tampa VA, Moffitt, Publix, I-75, etc. $2,000 / month.

I heard through the grapevine that someone created a Facebook group last year for accepted students. Admissions told me it's not affiliated with them and it was done through here. Does anyone know if such a group will be implemented this year? It would really help in meeting future roommates!

I heard through the grapevine that someone created a Facebook group last year for accepted students. Admissions told me it's not affiliated with them and it was done through here. Does anyone know if such a group will be implemented this year? It would really help in meeting future roommates!
Its created by some of the students of the previous year (class of 2019), I forgot the exact name of the organization, but its in charge of new student orientation etc. last year it was created near the end of February and they'll set it up this year when they have time.

Reactions: 4 users
Are there any current SELECT students who wouldn't mind me PMing them?

invitations for second look just came out today

To all those that were waitlisted, don't assume it's something you did wrong at the interview, they get full fast. I was waitlisted last year (I was on waitlist until August) and I reapplied and got in this year. It's annoying to have to wait another year, but there is hope! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Also got the second look email. So can any current students shine some light on CAMLS? I know it's a simulation facility, but do med students actually get to use it for anything or is it more for residents onward?

Are there different types of wait list letters? Is there any way to tell where you stand on the wait list?

Are there different types of wait list letters? Is there any way to tell where you stand on the wait list?

Not sure if you saw my post a few pages ago but my understanding is, from people I've talked to this cycle, they are sending out waitlist via snail mail. Is this how they notified you? Last year, some people received phone calls regarding waitlist, but it is looking like they aren't doing that anymore.

I don't think there is a way to find out your waitlist rank.

Does anyone know if updates/LOI are accepted after being waitlisted? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Okay thank you! Yes I was notified via snail mail. But the wording of the letter didn't give me much confidence that I'll ever be moved off it, so I didn't know if that was a general letter or if somehow the wording gave a hint to if you are high up on the list or not. Yeah I'm wondering if LOI are accepted too.

Not sure if you saw my post a few pages ago but my understanding is, from people I've talked to this cycle, they are sending out waitlist via snail mail. Is this how they notified you? Last year, some people received phone calls regarding waitlist, but it is looking like they aren't doing that anymore.

I don't think there is a way to find out your waitlist rank.

Does anyone know if updates/LOI are accepted after being waitlisted? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
n

Thanks! Do you remember how long it took to get an email? I sent mine almost two weeks ago but I haven't gotten anything.
No problem! It took 3 weeks so give it a little more time.

Reactions: 1 user
Its created by some of the students of the previous year (class of 2019), I forgot the exact name of the organization, but its in charge of new student orientation etc. last year it was created near the end of February and they'll set it up this year when they have time.

Facebook group just went up! Search USF Morsani COM 2020.

Reactions: 7 users
To all those that were waitlisted, don't assume it's something you did wrong at the interview, they get full fast. I was waitlisted last year (I was on waitlist until August) and I reapplied and got in this year. It's annoying to have to wait another year, but there is hope! Good luck everyone!
Thanks for the kind words. Interestingly enough, before I even sat down with one of my interviewers, she told me not to worry too much because there is wait list movement in April. I almost feel like I was told I was going to be on the waitlist before the interview even started.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Interestingly enough, before I even sat down with one of my interviewers, she told me not to worry too much because there is wait list movement in April. I almost feel like I was told I was going to be on the waitlist before the interview even started.
that... ouch i am sorry!

Also got the second look email. So can any current students shine some light on CAMLS? I know it's a simulation facility, but do med students actually get to use it for anything or is it more for residents onward?
CAMLS is a really nice facility. I don't know about all of the advanced simulation stuff, because as you mentioned that's mostly for the residents. I think they have a lot of great technology like the Harvey dummies as well as equipment for surgical simulation. The med students also get to use CAMLS quite a bit. I've been there the past few weeks working with standardized patients as part of our DCE course. It's a gorgeous, brand new building in a great location. Basically feels like you are getting away from main campus to learn in a real clinical setting. Definitely a huge plus to have affiliated with a medical school.

Also guys, if you get put on the waitlist, absolutely do not give up hope. Last year I was waitlisted in January, then got accepted in early May and was offered a substantial merit scholarship on top of it. So even if you're waitlisted, they definitely still are very interested in waitlisted applicants. Just make sure to stay in contact with admissions about any questions you have and they will keep you on their radar as well.

If you guys have any other questions, please ask! (I am an OOS core MS1 so I don't know anything about select haha)

Last edited:
CAMLS is a really nice facility. I don't know about all of the advanced simulation stuff, because as you mentioned that's mostly for the residents. I think they have a lot of great technology like the Harvey dummies as well as equipment for surgical simulation. The med students also get to use CAMLS quite a bit. I've been there the past few weeks working with standardized patients as part of our DCE course. It's a gorgeous, brand new building in a great location. Basically feels like you are getting away from main campus to learn in a real clinical setting. Definitely a huge plus to have affiliated with a medical school.

Also guys, if you get put on the waitlist, absolutely do not give up hope. Last year I was waitlisted in January, then got accepted in early May and was offered a substantial merit scholarship on top of it. So even if you're waitlisted, they definitely still are very interested in waitlisted applicants. Just make sure to stay in contact with admissions about any questions you have and they will keep you on their radar as well.

If you guys have any other questions, please ask! (I am an OOS core MS1 so I don't know anything about select haha)
how did you apply for scholarship?

H
Thanks for the kind words. Interestingly enough, before I even sat down with one of my interviewers, she told me not to worry too much because there is wait list movement in April. I almost feel like I was told I was going to be on the waitlist before the interview even started.[/QUOTE
Yeah I was given a hint that I was interviewing for the wait list position last year too.

I didn't apply. I think with the in-house scholarships you don't really apply, they just pick who to give money to. There are other scholarships from other foundations/donors that are available to apply to though.
ohhhh okay! thanks for the information!!! appreciate it!