2015-2016 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

OOS applicant here. Spent a lot of time in Tampa with family and trips and what not. Would love to hear thoughts from current students.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS applicant as well. If anyone is in the SELECT program, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS applicant as well. If anyone is in the SELECT program, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Hi! I am an OOS SELECT applicant too! Really excited about this program and so happy to be applying this year. I would also really like to hear from current students!

Applying from PA to the SELECT program. I have heard great things from current students and that Lehigh valley is a great hospital.

The SELECT program sounds pretty cool, but are there some hidden drawbacks to having your second half of med school be in an entirely different area?

The SELECT program sounds pretty cool, but are there some hidden drawbacks to having your second half of med school be in an entirely different area?

Leaving friends/significant others that you've made in the two years in Tampa behind. Other than that, LVHN has been great so far. Parking's a lot easier, lol. I'm not from Florida, but this is the farthest north I've lived, so it is a bit of a culture shock. For me, though, I have lived in a lot of places so it's a new adventure and place to explore.

Leaving friends/significant others that you've made in the two years in Tampa behind. Other than that, LVHN has been great so far. Parking's a lot easier, lol. I'm not from Florida, but this is the farthest north I've lived, so it is a bit of a culture shock. For me, though, I have lived in a lot of places so it's a new adventure and place to explore.

What about in terms of academics and professional networking?

What about in terms of academics and professional networking?

I'm only a couple weeks in, but the clerkships are designed to somewhat mirror the Tampa program so if there are differences, they are somewhat superficial. As far as professional networking, like I said, I'm only a couple weeks in so my experience is limited. There are less residents here, so more direct contact with attendings, but with less residents, usually comes less prestige. OTOH, you are much closer geographically to some of the big city residency locations like NYC, Boston, and DC, if that interests you.

I applied to USF and submitted on 06/02. IS regular admission applicant.

Applied here and accidentally marked the schools as "Previously Applied" when I have not previously applied. Is that a big deal?

Applied here and accidentally marked the schools as "Previously Applied" when I have not previously applied. Is that a big deal?

Shouldn't be. I would contact the school at some point and let them know the error so they don't waste time looking for your previous application or think something shady occurred.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS here. I was wondering, how do you specify the SELECT program? I was going to choose USF to apply to via AMCAS, but I didn't see any options for SELECT.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS here. I was wondering, how do you specify the SELECT program? I was going to choose USF to apply to via AMCAS, but I didn't see any options for SELECT.
You get the opportunity to choose 'CORE, SELECT or Both' in the secondary

Does anyone know if either program, core or select is more competitive/if stats are available about each cohort?

Idk about selectivity/stats but SELECT is looking for pretty specific applicants. I worked with a Dr that is a preceptor for the program and they are looking for a particular type of applicant that they talk about on their website.

has this secondary been sent out yet?

Idk how they're doing it this year, but the past few years the secondary was generally sent out mid/late July. I submitted my primary June 16 (2013) and received the secondary Aug 5 (edit: which is consistent with submitting my primary 2 weeks after it opened for submission).

Received secondary this morning.

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

a. Please choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:
Private Practice
Academic Medicine
Public Health
Health Care Administration
Health Policy
Other

b. Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for this career path. (max 2000 characters)

The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation.
Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question. (http://health.usf.edu/medicine/mdprogram/scp/index.htm)

a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? (max 2000 characters)

The University of South Florida, College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine? (max 2000 characters)

2. Describe your ideas about how the medical profession can best respond to disparities in healthcare. (max 2000 characters)

3. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (max 2000 characters)

4. You have chosen the program SELECT or BOTH at the onset of this application. Please explain how your experiences and career goals match with the mission of the SELECT program. (http://health.usf.edu/medicine/select/index.htm) (max 2000 characters)

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone that received the secondary, under App status, where it says letter of references, mine says "References not yet received" but I obviously sent them on AMCAS and my application has been verified so I'm worried something may have happened to my letters. Is anyone else having this problem?

For anyone that received the secondary, under App status, where it says letter of references, mine says "References not yet received" but I obviously sent them on AMCAS and my application has been verified so I'm worried something may have happened to my letters. Is anyone else having this problem?

I don't know exactly how AMCAS sends the letters, but I heard it can take up a couple weeks for them to be marked as received. So basically, as long as you know that the letters have been selected in AMCAS, I would not worry about it!

When I go on to part 2 it keeps saying: ERROR- click back to continue.

Anyone else having this issue?

I don't know exactly how AMCAS sends the letters, but I heard it can take up a couple weeks for them to be marked as received. So basically, as long as you know that the letters have been selected in AMCAS, I would not worry about it!
When you say marked as received, are you referring to on the amcas application or the actual secondary portal?

Anyone know exactly what they mean by this? "3. Please describe your disadvantaged circumstances and/or life obstacles and how they affected your academic performance (positively and/or negatively). Please be specific."

I didn't mark myself as disadvantaged... Do we just talk about other general challenges we've faced?

Does anyone how the tuition works for in-staters enrolling in the MD Select Program? Do you pay in-state for two years then out-of-state for two?

Question regarding number four on this secondary (4. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts)): If we have not experienced academic difficulties, do we just write "I have not experienced academic difficulties" and leave it at that? It won't let me say section complete unless there is something written in that box

Anyone know exactly what they mean by this? "3. Please describe your disadvantaged circumstances and/or life obstacles and how they affected your academic performance (positively and/or negatively). Please be specific."

I didn't mark myself as disadvantaged... Do we just talk about other general challenges we've faced?

Yeah I don't know about that one. Got the same thing and I didn't mark myself as disadvantaged either but it looks like some people don't have that question? I'll try giving them a call tomorrow morning.

Oh dear, that sucks. Seeing as I'm a PA resident.

It would have been OOS no matter what for you. SELECT is a USF program that has a campus in Pennsylvania. It definitely is a drawback for Florida residents who also have to pay the OOS rate at a state school that they are a resident of, but some are able to get scholarships to match the IS rate to give them an incentive to be in the program. I guess it worked ok. About 1/2 of my classmates are Florida residents.

Yeah I don't know about that one. Got the same thing and I didn't mark myself as disadvantaged either but it looks like some people don't have that question? I'll try giving them a call tomorrow morning.
let us know what they say. does anyone not have that question?

let us know what they say. does anyone not have that question?
Called them up and they said to drop them an email as there are some issues with their application system. I'll update on their response when I get it.

I hear that SELECT favors OOS applicants more than CORE. Is there any truth to that? SELECT itself looks pretty interesting but what are the disadvantages of it, beyond relocating halfway through my medical education? Is applying to both CORE and SELECT a poor choice?

Called them up and they said to drop them an email as there are some issues with their application system. I'll update on their response when I get it.

So we aren't supposed to have that question if we didn't mark disadvantaged?

So we aren't supposed to have that question if we didn't mark disadvantaged?

Yeah, there's apparently a bug in the system so if you get the disadvantaged question and didn't mark yourself disadvantaged then email them about it. @ab77

Yeah, there's apparently a bug in the system so if you get the disadvantaged question and didn't mark yourself disadvantaged then email them about it. @ab77
I emailed them this morning and haven't heard back. Any news?

I emailed them this morning and haven't heard back. Any news?
I got an email back saying that it's a bug and they removed the question. When I last looked, the question is still there. I guess I'll just say I emailed them about it already. TBH I could talk about my disadvantaged background here but it feels wrong since I already talk about it for diversity.

I got an email back saying that it's a bug and they removed the question. When I last looked, the question is still there. I guess I'll just say I emailed them about it already. TBH I could talk about my disadvantaged background here but it feels wrong since I already talk about it for diversity.
the question is still showing up for me too and I still have no email response. worth trying to call them tomorrow?

It shows up on mine too, I may just answer it

I have that question too and I'm just going to answer it! I emailed them earlier but I don't want to wait on them to submit my application