2015-2016 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else submitted early in July and have not had their application reviewed....?

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/general info on the CORE interview, besides the fact that it is open file and in a "casual" setting? Just curious! Are the interviewers usually faculty members or can there be some medical students as well? Thanks in advance :)

Was selected for II in Feb, OOS.

I had 2 faculty. One was more structured, as in it seemed like she had a list of questions that she wanted to get through. The other was more conversational.

Open file. Both had really read my app thoroughly, which I really appreciated. It definitely gave me the impression that they really wanted to know me well.

There can be med students too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: Did Dr. Daniel say we would hear 3 weeks after we interviewed or is it we could hear earlier but by the latest we would hear back by 3 weeks?

thanks in advance :)

*anxiously waiting* XD

@chungmonkey I'd add that both overall were very friendly and still conversational.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/general info on the CORE interview, besides the fact that it is open file and in a "casual" setting? Just curious! Are the interviewers usually faculty members or can there be some medical students as well? Thanks in advance :)

I had one faculty and one practicing physician. Like others have said.. it felt like the interviewers wanted to get to know me better. They did have a list of questions about my application they wanted to ask.. but all those questions were asked in a way to get to know who i am and what drives me. My biggest advice i can really give is be honest and be open.. tell them WHY is it that you want to be in medicine.. give them a very personal reason...make sure you look, sound, and act like a human.. not someone who had their answers memorized.. that is all i have really! and good luck! it is a great school!! you will love your interview day :)

Hey! Does anyone know if we need to pay a deposit? Also, if we need to accept our offer on the portal? For some reason I can't log in so I don't know if the portal has changed.

Hey! Does anyone know if we need to pay a deposit? Also, if we need to accept our offer on the portal? For some reason I can't log in so I don't know if the portal has changed.

Last edited:

I think a lot of MD schools require a deposit to hold your spot. Idk about USF though. Based on your situation, I think you better call admissions to clarify. Don't want a mishap.

I think a lot of MD schools require a deposit to hold your spot. Idk about USF though. Based on your situation, I think you better call admissions to clarify. Don't want a mishap.
The SELECT confirmation letter directly says that you do not need to make a deposit to hold your seat. I'm guessing this is the same for CORE.

I've emailed and called but no response. >.<

Core "Acceptance Acknowledgement" form says it too : "USF MCOM does not require that you secure your acceptance with a fee"

Has any accepted students been able to view their OASIS portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from the 1/12 interview or the week before hear back yet? It seems, based on these forums, that Dr. Daniel usually calls for acceptances. However they indicated at the interview that we would hear by mail. So not so sure. Either way.... :xf:for everyone to get acceptances!

Anyone from the 1/12 interview or the week before hear back yet? It seems, based on these forums, that Dr. Daniel usually calls for acceptances. However they indicated at the interview that we would hear by mail. So not so sure. Either way.... :xf:for everyone to get acceptances!

I seem to remember he said 3 weeks, but I was unsure. I welcome others to chime in, as I am also curious.

Is it possible that they haven't even looked at some of the applications? When I log in, I don't see a "last viewed date" as some other people have.

Is it possible that they haven't even looked at some of the applications? When I log in, I don't see a "last viewed date" as some other people have.

Complete late July and nearly positive they haven't even looked at my app yet. At this point IDGAF, utterly ridiculous.

Last year..I had my interview in March.. I know they interview till March end or early April I believe. There still might be a chance.

Yeah, I had 2 faculty. Just relax on interview day. I believe it's 2 interviews, 45 minutes to an hour each, open file. They just want to get to know you a bit better, make sure you're a normal person and can articulate your thoughts. Check out the USF interview feedback page here on SDN for examples of the kinds of questions you might get. It helped a lot for mine. USF was my best interview experience so far, everyone there is just so nice! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Don't give up guys, the last time my application was viewed was 7/24 and I just got an interview! LizzyM 70 and the two dates available were 2/2 and 2/9.

Reactions: 6 users
Don't give up guys, the last time my application was viewed was 7/24 and I just got an interview! LizzyM 70 and the two dates available were 2/2 and 2/9.

Hey, first congrants on the interview! I just was wondering how you knew when your application was last reviewed? I can't seem to find that information anywhere on my portal..

Interviewed two weeks ago and unfortunately was waitlisted via snail mail today. Really loved the school and hoping for the best in the coming months. Is there anyone waitlisted that was notified by phone call? Last cycle some applicants were waitlisted by phone and some were waitlisted by mail. Not sure if that means anything in regards to their waitlist position, but just trying to get a better idea. Please list your interview date as well. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, first congrants on the interview! I just was wondering how you knew when your application was last reviewed? I can't seem to find that information anywhere on my portal..
Thanks! I clicked on the App Status tab and the last date I had was 7/24 next to the App Complete status. There was no last viewed date until today, so I'm assuming it wasn't viewed between then and now.

Interviewed two weeks ago and unfortunately was waitlisted via snail mail today. Really loved the school and hoping for the best in the coming months. Is there anyone waitlisted that was notified by phone call? Last cycle some applicants were waitlisted by phone and some were waitlisted by mail. Not sure if that means anything in regards to their waitlist position, but just trying to get a better idea. Please list your interview date as well. Thanks!

I was wait listed by snail mail today too. We interviewed in the same group. Maybe it's just how they are doing it this year?

Thanks! I clicked on the App Status tab and the last date I had was 7/24 next to the App Complete status. There was no last viewed date until today, so I'm assuming it wasn't viewed between then and now.

That's a significant assumption and not one supported by any evidence.

Anyone know what WL movement here is like?

Just got WLed by snail mail. :/

Wait listed today. Could have something to do with me telling the interviewer I found her questions highly inappropriate...

SELECT interview invite last Friday night via email. Pretty excited to be interviewing here! Anyone care to give some insight on interview day? Stress levels? The questions are run of the mill "Know Thy Self" deal?

SELECT interview invite last Friday night via email. Pretty excited to be interviewing here! Anyone care to give some insight on interview day? Stress levels? The questions are run of the mill "Know Thy Self" deal?
Did you receive a call for an interview invite or just email? Thanks

Does anyone know if SELECT is just another name for rural medicine track at USF? Just from what I gather from the website, its focus is very much on primary care at rural clinical settings to me but I can also read it wrong. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if SELECT is just another name for rural medicine track at USF? Just from what I gather from the website, its focus is very much on primary care at rural clinical settings to me but I can also read it wrong. Any thoughts?

There is not a rural medicine tract at USF. SELECT is more about leadership, health systems, and emotional intelligence plus you complete years 3 and 4 in Pennsylvania.

There is not a rural medicine tract at USF. SELECT is more about leadership, health systems, and emotional intelligence plus you complete years 3 and 4 in Pennsylvania.
Are you a student of SELECT? If yes, would you mind commenting more about this program in comparison to CORE. I know they mention a lot about leadership and etc but particularly in which way? Why do SELECT students do clinical rotations in Allentown, which seems to be in the middle of nowhere? How do SELECT students match to residency program? Sorry for the many questions, I just want to get to know the program a bit better than the presented information from the web. Thank you.

Are you a student of SELECT? If yes, would you mind commenting more about this program in comparison to CORE. I know they mention a lot about leadership and etc but particularly in which way? Why do SELECT students do clinical rotations in Allentown, which seems to be in the middle of nowhere? How do SELECT students match to residency program? Sorry for the many questions, I just want to get to know the program a bit better than the presented information from the web. Thank you.

I am a Core student, but these are great questions so I will do my best. Perhaps a SELECT student can chime in. SELECT meets one extra morning per week for sessions on health systems, leadership, etc. and they complete a summer research project relating to these areas. They have small "coaching groups" with fellow students and faculty from Tampa and Allentown for support and mentorship throughout the 4 years. The program was designed by faculty who were originally from the Allentown area, so connections were made to develop this program with the hospitals there. Lehigh Valley Health Network is a great hospital network, and comparable to Tampa General Hospital where the Core students are. The first class of SELECT students graduated in 2015, and they matched in great programs throughout a wide variety of specialties.

Is there an accepted student group for SELECT, or just for the class?

Does anyone know when accepted students are supposed to send in transcripts?

Just got an email from admissions..oasis is having some technical difficulties...for anyone that was wondering.

My interview was slightly intense but I kinda liked it. Even though the actual interview was the most intense one I've had, the day was also the most relaxed and chill I'd had at an interview. Not sure how that works. They did have some pretty baller cookies though and the coffee wasn't bad. Also there's a non-disclosure agreement about the questions so you're not really gonna get much out of anyone. Just treat it like a normal interview. Have stories. Be introspective. Be personable. Talk to people. Smile.

Allentown is not in the middle of nowhere. It's 90 min to Philly, 90 min-2 hrs to NYC. It's the 4th largest city in Pennsylvania. No, not as big as Tampa (which can be a bonus, the traffic is nowhere near as horrendous as Tampa), but LVHN is an excellent network and you will see patient transfers from all over the region and even outside the state. Plus, skiing and excellent hiking is less than 30 min away.

Why LVHN? It's a public-private partnership that allowed USF to expand the school of medicine without getting state funding to do so (also TGH is pretty much at capacity for students). SELECT was a brainchild of the previous dean to create a program that in addition to teaching the medical knowledge also focuses on leadership, health systems, and patient centered care to create a doctor that is given the tools to make a difference in not just their patients' lives, but the healthcare system as a whole. At least that's the elevator speech on SELECT. What it equates to is classes once a week MS1-MS3. Various projects throughout this period some in groups, some individual and one final capstone project completed in MS4. SELECT students are not required or expected to participate in the scholarly concentrations program.

Reactions: 3 users
Where can you see this on the application? Thanks

I emailed the admissions office, and was told that the "Last Viewed Date" is meaningless. You may or may not have one, and it is not indicative of whether you will get an interview or have been reviewed.

They also said we can still hear anytime until April, so there's hope!

Reactions: 4 users
II about an hour ago for Core. I'm so excited!!

Reactions: 9 users