2015-2016 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When are all your interview dates? The amp portal says that they're only interviewing until mid-December so I'm wondering if I'm pretty much done for :/

My date is early December, but there were dates available on the calendar in January and even a few days in February.

Members don't see this ad.

They extended interview season last year as well, that wording may be a remnant from past portals.

Reactions: 3 users
Could they start sending acceptances at any time, or do they wait until the end of their interview season?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could they start sending acceptances at any time, or do they wait until the end of their interview season?

On interview day they said its rolling in the sense that they come out sporadically, but it's not based on how early/late you interviewed. They said try not to anticipate when it should come, and that they should come anytime between mid December and late February. Interviewed 10/8

Interview this Tuesday! So excited and nervous

Anyone have any insight into what NYU's MMI is like? I'm sure you have to keep everything pretty confidential, but any big general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have any insight into what NYU's MMI is like? I'm sure you have to keep everything pretty confidential, but any big general tips would be greatly appreciated.
I actually enjoyed NYU's MMI a lot more than any other ones I had. Biggest piece of advice I can give you is to clear your mind completely in between stations and completely let whatever happened in the previous station go (whether it went well or poorly). For preparation, I used the various sample MMI questions floating around the internet. Don't go overboard but do a few of those and get familiar with the format and what they're looking for and you'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 users
I actually enjoyed NYU's MMI a lot more than any other ones I had. Biggest piece of advice I can give you is to clear your mind completely in between stations and completely let whatever happened in the previous station go (whether it went well or poorly). For preparation, I used the various sample MMI questions floating around the internet. Don't go overboard but do a few of those and get familiar with the format and what they're looking for and you'll be fine!
Thank you!!

I completely agree with quesadilla_25, I honestly had a ton of fun doing the MMI (it was my first MMI and I was terrified the night before). NYU is not trying to stress you out with the MMI, and they truly just want to see how you think. I also looked over some sample MMI questions the night before, but I could have gone without doing that and been fine as well. Good luck!

the free clinic email that admissions just sent us got my heart racing so fast when i saw the address of the sender. Another one of those teases from them...

Reactions: 4 users
the free clinic email that admissions just sent us got my heart racing so fast when i saw the address of the sender. Another one of those teases from them...

+1 seriously, major heart attack.. maybe they can deliver my decision when I get transported to bellevue..

Members don't see this ad :)
Had the same reaction - head spinning, heart pounding and....want to learn more about the NYC free clinic? That being said, it should be a good webinar.

Casually working on a grant... 70-75 BPM... phone vibrates and read NYU Admission... 160-190 BPM... webinar... back to 110 BPM

Reactions: 2 users
Really though, enough with the frivolous e-mails. I delete them immediately out of spite, and I doubt I'm the only one.

I actually didn't care much for the MMI format. Not that it was too difficult or anything--bioethics, public health and health policy are things I am deeply interested and passionate about--but it was certainly more stressful, sort of rushed, and the interactions were relatively superficial and fleeting in comparison to more traditional interviews I had at other schools that are more conversational, in-depth, and relaxed. I didn't have the ability to connect with my interviewers and really get them to feel what I feel and see what I'm about. I actually enjoy when I'd sit down for an interview and my interviewer is intimately acquainted with my application, had insightful questions to ask, and even Googled me. I put a lot of time and money into these applications, so I appreciated that effort on their behalf.

Also, as a non-traditional student, this format largely neutralizes my background and unique experiences: instead of talking about things that I believe really set me apart from other applicants, I'm talking about things that pretty much anyone can talk about. In general, the same applies towards anyone that has anything special or outstanding about their application: soon as you walk into an MMI, consider it irrelevant.

Last edited:
I don't even get the webinar emails :(

I actually didn't care much for the MMI format. Not that it was too difficult or anything--bioethics, public health and health policy are things I am deeply interested and passionate about--but it was certainly more stressful, sort of rushed, and the interactions were relatively superficial and fleeting in comparison to more traditional interviews I had at other schools that are more conversational, in-depth, and relaxed.
Also, as a non-traditional student, this format largely neutralizes my background and unique experiences: instead of talking about things that I believe really set me apart from other applicants, I'm talking about things that pretty much anyone can talk about.
Your complaint about this format is due to the fact that it neutralizes your natural advantage? This is the point. They don't stop considering your application just because of the MMI. They want to see how well you can discuss the various topics, relative to your peers, without interviewer/halo-effect bias.

Your complaint about this format is due to the fact that it neutralizes your natural advantage? This is the point. They don't stop considering your application just because of the MMI. They want to see how well you can discuss the various topics, relative to your peers, without interviewer/halo-effect bias.

Natural advantage..? There's nothing *natural* about my advantage. Whatever advantage my application may have, it was a matter of grit and survival. Please don't speak on what you don't know. I recognize the advantages of MMI format over the traditional interview, but there are also disadvantages, and the reality is this format favors relatively generic applicants. If you have any salient qualities about your application--whether that's life experiences or impressive achievements or just anything that's exceptional in some way--you're going to feel cheated when they go completely ignored, especially if you fought and labored for them. Is that unreasonable? Again, I'd rather talk about me and who I am and what I bring to the table as a prospective student to their school, and just really sell myself and get to know my interviewer vs. discussing dilemmas and current events. If you prefer the latter, or if you disagree in some way, that's cool too. NYU attempts to address this issue somewhat with a somewhat balanced approach by including an open station, which is great, but it felt a little too brief too me.

Last edited:
Natural advantage..? There's nothing *natural* about my advantage. Whatever advantage my application may have, it was a matter of grit and survival. Please don't speak on what you don't know. I recognize the advantages of MMI format over the traditional interview, but there are also disadvantages, and the reality is this format favors relatively generic applicants. If you have any salient qualities about your application--whether that's life experiences or impressive achievements or just anything that's exceptional in some way--you're going to feel cheated when they go completely ignored, especially if you fought and labored for them. Is that unreasonable? Again, I'd rather talk about me and who I am and what I bring to the table as a prospective student to their school, and just really sell myself and get to know my interviewer vs. discussing dilemmas and current events. If you prefer the latter, or if you disagree in some way, that's cool too. NYU attempts to address this issue somewhat with a somewhat balanced approach by including an open station, which is great, but it felt a little too brief too me.
It sounds like you are assuming they ignore the rest of your app after you have interviewed.

It sounds like you are assuming they ignore the rest of your app after you have interviewed.

Haha. Naw. But I guess I'm thinking of how much interview evaluations are weighed in the application process, and I feel my application is far better suited for a traditional interview. I actually have no idea how MMI interviews are factored into the overall application though. If you or anyone knows, feel free to share.

Nope, no idea. If I had to take a complete guess I would say it's ~30-40% of the final decision, but that's based on absolutely nothing.

Cincinnati gave a really insightful presentation on their MMI during interview day. They say that while MCAT and GPA predict STEP1 just fine, the only thing they've found to predict STEP2 CS is the MMI score.

To them it's one more part of your app, not the only thing considered post-interview. My guess is any MMI school would be similar.

Please don't speak on what you don't know

Haha. Naw. But I guess I'm thinking of how much interview evaluations are weighed in the application process, and I feel my application is far better suited for a traditional interview. I actually have no idea how MMI interviews are factored into the overall application though

Him implying something about my life and application and me expressing my thoughts on an uncertain admissions process are not the same thing. He has no business stating or assuming anything about me.

My birthday is coming up NYU, so it would be nice to get an acceptance as a present from you.:love: Kthanksbai.

we're supposed to hear back from NYU on my birthday.... (Dec 15)....

Yeah they usually send out news on early interviewees around Dec 15. historically, anyway

Natural advantage..? There's nothing *natural* about my advantage. Whatever advantage my application may have, it was a matter of grit and survival. Please don't speak on what you don't know.
I never said your life wasn't hard or your experiences are unearned. Non-trad's have a natural (not an unfair) advantage in traditional interviews because of their unique experiences. Anybody would rather talk to the olympian, professional baseball player, combat veteran or career-switcher compared to generic premed #425 for 45 minutes.

I recognize the advantages of MMI format over the traditional interview, but there are also disadvantages, and the reality is this format favors relatively generic applicants.
It favors people who have good social skills, are knowledgeable and can think quickly. There are "generic" and "unique" applicants who probably score very well. Ultimately, this is why I take issue with your complaint. Just because the format doesn't privilege your experiences, doesn't mean its bad.

If you have any salient qualities about your application--whether that's life experiences or impressive achievements or just anything that's exceptional in some way--you're going to feel cheated when they go completely ignored, especially if you fought and labored for them. Is that unreasonable?
As was said previously, the MMI is the best and only predictor of clinical performance. Admissions care first and foremost about who will make a good doctor and second about life experiences. There are plenty of people who have impressive achievements but aren't necessarily fit to be a physician. Besides, they don't throw away your application once you get to the interview. Your background will still help you in the process.

OMGGGG ACCEPTED!!!! Time to start celebrating Christmas!!!

Reactions: 11 users
Just accepted via e-mail! Interviewed mid-October!

ETA: E-mail accompanied by portal change.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!! :)

Interviewed mid-September (didn't think my MMI went all that well either)

Accepted!!!!! Ahhhhhhh. Interviewed late October

Accepted! Interviewed early-mid September

Hey Order66, fair enough and thanks for clarifying your stance.

For the record, I don't think it's a bad format. It's just not the one I prefer. Even if we ignore the non-traditional advantage issue and the ability to speak on life experiences, I still prefer having a conversation and connecting with my interviewers, and showing parts of me not effectively communicated in the application. Anyone that prefers that, whether traditional or not, may not favor this format. It's also more stressful; you're being herded around from room to room and forced to argue and debate without much time to actually meditate on the issue and then abruptly forced to leave in the middle of your argument half the time. The whole experience is rather "meh" to me.

welp, this doesn't feel too great. I was hoping for some good news, but alas. Congrats to all who were accepted, you guys are all superstars! NYU was definitely my top choice but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

welp, this doesn't feel too great. I was hoping for some good news, but alas. Congrats to all who were accepted, you guys are all superstars! NYU was definitely my top choice but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Did you get a rejection email?

Did you get a rejection email?
No, but I interviewed in late September. Looks like in the previous years that if you don't make this first cycle, it basically means you also won't get in the second round of acceptances. I'm remaining hopeful, but also realistic!

No, but I interviewed in late September. Looks like in the previous years that if you don't make this first cycle, it basically means you also won't get in the second round of acceptances. I'm remaining hopeful, but also realistic!

Same here. Interviewed mid-oct. Fingers crossed! It's not over yet.

No, but I interviewed in late September. Looks like in the previous years that if you don't make this first cycle, it basically means you also won't get in the second round of acceptances. I'm remaining

Do they just send out all acceptances in one day? Maybe it's spread out over the next few days.

ACCEPTED!!!!!! First acceptance of the season—this is the best feeling ever!!! :clap:

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from here and other schools—your patience will be rewarded!!

Reactions: 7 users