2015-2016 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those for sure planning to matriculate, are you bringing your car? I'm looking for apartments now and most places seem to be a 20-30 min walk/5-10 min car ride away from the medical school.
Check out the Case housing Facebook page, there are a decent amount of apartments near the med school, especially in Little Italy.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I transmitted my need access form on 2/18 but my documents tab on the financial aid site still says it hasn't been received. I emailed them about it last week but haven't received a response. Anyone else having this issue?

I transmitted my need access form on 2/18 but my documents tab on the financial aid site still says it hasn't been received. I emailed them about it last week but haven't received a response. Anyone else having this issue?
I also submitted mine a while ago with my documents tab still saying not yet received

Members don't see this ad :)
I also submitted mine a while ago with my documents tab still saying not yet received

I called the office last week and Wanda stated that they have yet to download students' financial information from NeedAccess. She also mentioned that financial aid packages will begin to be issued within the next two weeks. I hope this helps!

If you submitted you should be fine, they hadn't marked mine as complete but did so after I asked. No need to blow up the office phone unless you think there is a bigger issue atm.

Reactions: 1 user
If you submitted you should be fine, they hadn't marked mine as complete but did so after I asked. No need to blow up the office phone unless you think there is a bigger issue atm.

"I called and got mine fixed but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you"

lol j/k

Withdrawing my acceptance. Hope the empty spot makes someone's day :) Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
For those accepted who were unable to make the Relocating to Cleveland webinar, the recorded webinar has just recently been upload to iApply along with the accompanying Powerpoint slides. You can find it under "Interview Portal" and "Additional Documents and Travel Information." Cheers!

Reactions: 4 users
What are the rules at Case about getting offers rescinded?

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but do we get our financial aid packages before second look so we can discuss them with someone at the financial aid office?

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but do we get our financial aid packages before second look so we can discuss them with someone at the financial aid office?
I would also like to know the answer to this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi can any Case students answer this question-- regarding lectures--how helpful are they? I personally learn best on my own, not in class.....do students who attend ever post the slides/audio online? Please let me know your thoughts. thanks! I like everything about Case except that all lectures aren't recorded!

I would also like to know the answer to this.

From previous years is seems like financial aid packages came out closer to April 15th, which is the start of Second Look. So, you may or may not be able to if the timeline this year will be similar to last year's. I'm hoping they come out a bit earlier.

Additionally re: Financial Aid, it seems as if the office just recently (yesterday) did an upload of received documents. So if your documents have been sent in and are still marked as "Not Received," I would call/e-mail to confirm receipt.

Hi can any Case students answer this question-- regarding lectures--how helpful are they? I personally learn best on my own, not in class.....do students who attend ever post the slides/audio online? Please let me know your thoughts. thanks! I like everything about Case except that all lectures aren't recorded!
I'd like to know this as well, although I do wish that Case didn't have to start their academic year so early...For some students it means going straight from college to med school with no summer break

I'd like to know this as well, although I do wish that Case didn't have to start their academic year so early...For some students it means going straight from college to med school with no summer break
My impression is that the first block is pretty relaxed, so you won't be thrown into schoolwork right away.

My impression is that the first block is pretty relaxed, so you won't be thrown into schoolwork right away.

Still, it makes things tough when you're also hoping on a waitlist decision somewhere else. You have to be ready to move there by June...

Still, it makes things tough when you're also hoping on a waitlist decision somewhere else. You have to be ready to move there by June...
Yeah that's true, it does suck for anyone on a wait list elsewhere, I didn't think about that.

If any current students care to answer, how is a typical day at Case? Is it true that class and group sessions usually end by noon and the rest of the day is free?

Also, I remember from interview day that Case is true P/F with no rankings during preclinicals. If this is so, how is AOA membership determined- all based on clinical year grades?

If any current students care to answer, how is a typical day at Case? Is it true that class and group sessions usually end by noon and the rest of the day is free?

Also, I remember from interview day that Case is true P/F with no rankings during preclinicals. If this is so, how is AOA membership determined- all based on clinical year grades?

Hello, Case 4th year here. If I remember correctly, a typical day during preclinical years is as follows: MWF: IQ from 8-10, then lecture from 10-12. Free time after that. Tuesday morning from 8-10 there is a small-group seminar about social aspects of medicine / "Touchy Feely Tuesdays," followed by anatomy lab from 10-12. Thursday is review day and is entirely optional. Review lectures are recorded online and you can watch them later at your leisure or show up in person if you have questions.

Preclinical years are also a true P/F, i.e. there is no internal ranking system. If you pass, you're on equal footing with your classmates. AOA is determined by clinical grades (Honors, commendable, pass, fail). From what I understand, the top 25% of the class is invited to submit an anonymous CV to the AOA committee, who then elects the new AOA members, taking into account research, leadership, service, etc. in addition to clinical grades.

Congrats again on getting in!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello, Case 4th year here. If I remember correctly, a typical day during preclinical years is as follows: MWF: IQ from 8-10, then lecture from 10-12. Free time after that. Tuesday morning from 8-10 there is a small-group seminar about social aspects of medicine / "Touchy Feely Tuesdays," followed by anatomy lab from 10-12. Thursday is review day and is entirely optional. Review lectures are recorded online and you can watch them later at your leisure or show up in person if you have questions.

Preclinical years are also a true P/F, i.e. there is no internal ranking system. If you pass, you're on equal footing with your classmates. AOA is determined by clinical grades (Honors, commendable, pass, fail). From what I understand, the top 25% of the class is invited to submit an anonymous CV to the AOA committee, who then elects the new AOA members, taking into account research, leadership, service, etc. in addition to clinical grades.

Thanks so much!

Thank you so much for answering our questions! Do you know if Case does grade deflation during clinical years? Some schools give the majority of people Honors, while others strictly limit the number of people who can receive Honors to a small percentage. Where does Case fall?

Also what percentage of material is covered in IQ sessions versus lecture? Do you feel you are still required to learn things beyond what is seen in IQ case studies and lectures?

Thank you so much for answering our questions! Do you know if Case does grade deflation during clinical years? Some schools give the majority of people Honors, while others strictly limit the number of people who can receive Honors to a small percentage. Where does Case fall?

No problem! I don't have enough information to really answer this one. I know that grades for all rotations are 75% clinical evaluations and 25% shelf score, but each institution (University Hospitals, CCF, MetroHealth) has slightly different grading rubrics and shelf score cutoffs for what constitutes honors, commendable, etc. If I were to be so brash as to hazard a guess, I would say that 20% of all students get Honors, 30% get commendable, and the rest get a pass.

Also what percentage of material is covered in IQ sessions versus lecture? Do you feel you are still required to learn things beyond what is seen in IQ case studies and lectures?

For the most part, all background information for IQ is covered in the lectures, but the actual IQ sessions allow you to have a much more in-depth discussion with your classmates about the material. It really gives you a chance to hash out the more difficult concepts and I think is a great way to reinforce the core concepts of the preclinical years.

I felt that IQ really prepared me well for Step 1. There were some concepts that we didn't really cover (certain microbio stuff, rare metabolic/genetic disorders, etc) in IQ but these were easily assimilated using First Aid or one of the other standardized study resources.

Weaksauce- thanks for the inside scoop. do you mind answering a previous question of mine? Thanks! It's here below:

Weaksauce- thanks for the inside scoop. do you mind answering a previous question of mine? Thanks! It's here below:

I went to most lectures and found them helpful (some moreso than others of course). Slides are posted on the curriculum website prior to the lectures and are available to all students, whether or not you show up to the lecture in person.

Thursdays are review days, and those are videostreamed, so you can watch them later if you want.

Got my financial aid award letter. A little confused why I have ~$14,000 of Med-Expected Family Contribution listed in my funds tab when both my student and parental contribution is listed as 0 under resources (hope I can get some loans to cover that).

Also the Alumni Loan sounds like a huge rip off. I have a hard time believing that four years of being subsidized is worth 1.2% extra interest over a GradPLUS loan.

Got my financial aid award letter. A little confused why I have ~$14,000 of Med-Expected Family Contribution listed in my funds tab when both my student and parental contribution is listed as 0 under resources (hope I can get some loans to cover that).

Also the Alumni Loan sounds like a huge rip off. I have a hard time believing that four years of being subsidized is worth 1.2% extra interest over a GradPLUS loan.

Last edited:
Got my aid letter... does anyone know what the Alumni Loan Fund is? I'm assuming its a school subsidized loan....

Got my aid letter... does anyone know what the Alumni Loan Fund is? I'm assuming its a school subsidized loan....

Yep. It's 8% fixed interest versus the GradPLUS rate of 6.8% but it is subsidized when you're in school and can be deferred for up to 5 years in residency. It feels a little slimy to me that they pretend it's a significantly better option than the GradPLUS.

Email? Or just on the financial website? Also when did you have all of your documents submitted?

Email? Or just on the financial website? Also when did you have all of your documents submitted?

Submitted everything 2nd or 3rd week of February. Email telling me to check portal

Yep. It's 8% fixed interest versus the GradPLUS rate of 6.8% but it is subsidized when you're in school and can be deferred for up to 5 years in residency. It feels a little slimy to me that they pretend it's a significantly better option than the GradPLUS.
That actually sounds amazing. You could easily refinance right after school with a lower rate.

That actually sounds amazing. You could easily refinance right after school with a lower rate.

True, but the same is true with the GradPLUS loans (and refinancing will most likely mean you lose the residency deferral) and I haven't done the math but after 9 years the loan totals will be pretty close to equal (1.2% less interest for the GradPLUS vs. 4 years of being subsidized for the Case loan).

It just seems a little unsavory to me for a school to be in the loan business...."Tuition went up $5,000 this year, but don't worry we'll lend you the money at 8% interest to cover it."

It's interesting that Case Med has a reputation of not being super generous with aid, whereas if you ask anyone at Case Undergrad why they went to Case, they'll say it was because they got a huge scholarship. The undergrad school is very, very generous with scholarships and financial aid. I wonder why it's so different for the medical school.

It's interesting that Case Med has a reputation of not being super generous with aid, whereas if you ask anyone at Case Undergrad why they went to Case, they'll say it was because they got a huge scholarship. The undergrad school is very, very generous with scholarships and financial aid. I wonder why it's so different for the medical school.

Under grad students have a lot more options and power than med students

Yeah, I think if case had more grant/scholarship money they would retain higher applicants. Everything about case seems to be a positive but there is still a huge negative with the cost...

Congrats on getting into Case. Could you (or anyone else who got an award) share how much of that was grants and how much was loans? I am curious to see if Case gives any grants at all, since people have been saying they are not very generous with aid

Congrats on getting into Case. Could you (or anyone else who got an award) share how much of that was grants and how much was loans? I am curious to see if Case gives any grants at all, since people have been saying they are not very generous with aid

I received a little over $15k in grants/scholarship

I'm guessing a majority of us are still waiting on financial aid packages? Submitted all of my materials in late Feb.

This is what mine looked like:

Resources Amount
Parental Contribution: $0.00 (Both Parents Deceased)
Student Contribution: $10,000 (No idea where this is going to come from)

Funds Amount
Student $10,000
Scholarship $22,000
Alumni Fund Loan $13,000
Fed Dir Unsub $45,000

Federal Government: "Oh, you want to go to school to learn how to take care of people and save lives in the U.S.? Here's some crippling debt for your dedication, hard work, and compassion for the individuals here in the U.S."

My choice to become a physician is masochistic on so many levels.

Federal Government: "Oh, you want to go to school to learn how to take care of people and save lives in the U.S.? Here's some crippling debt for your dedication, hard work, and compassion for the individuals here in the U.S."

Yep, and my cousin's grad school at Yale for French Horn was fully funded. Because obviously music is much more important than saving lives.

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current students comment on what types of ms2-4 scholarships are out there plus likelihood of getting them?