2015-2016 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is there a specific number for the pin? i know it says a 4 character or 7 digit number provided by yor school but is it something where i can enter the incorrect number, or it's just for you to arbitrarily use to activate your network id?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

is there a specific number for the pin? i know it says a 4 character or 7 digit number provided by yor school but is it something where i can enter the incorrect number, or it's just for you to arbitrarily use to activate your network id?

thanks!

You can find your pin on your iApply portal, under the Acceptance tab.

Reactions: 1 user
It was a busy, but very fun weekend. They really made an effort to show us hospitality and what the school is all about. It included a mock IQ session (participating), bowling alley socializing, a nice reception, dinners at alumni houses, a bus tour, some info sessions on particular aspects of student life, facility tours, and putting us up in a nice hotel. (Probably missing some things)

Oh! I didn't make this connection, but I definitely sat next to you on the bus tour. (I was sitting in the back corner.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back for merit scholarships? Also, does anyone know how merit scholarships affect financial aid grants? For example, if your EFC was $10,000 and you received a $15,000 need-based scholarship + $70,000 in loans, would a $20,000 merit scholarship replace the need-based scholarship or the loans first?

The scholarship would replace loans. You'd then get 35k.

Does anyone know (or remember) the details of the MD-MBA program at Case? I'm wondering things like (1) what's the cost of the extra year of tuition, and (2) can you start/join the program later on, or does it need to be decided early?

Thanks!

Has anyone heard back for merit scholarships? Also, does anyone know how merit scholarships affect financial aid grants? For example, if your EFC was $10,000 and you received a $15,000 need-based scholarship + $70,000 in loans, would a $20,000 merit scholarship replace the need-based scholarship or the loans first?
The scholarship would replace loans. You'd then get 35k.

I was under the impression that merit scholarship funds would be added to the need-based aid already issued. Unfortunately that is not the case. I was very pleased to discover that I had been awarded a merit scholarship for $40k/yr earlier this afternoon and was under the impression that medical school tuition would be nearly free considering that my need-based aid equaled $19k/yr. However, when I checked the financial aid portal, the total CWRU Scholarship listed for 2016-2017 was $40k/yr. My need-based aid was completely absorbed by my merit scholarship!

Case's Financial Aid Office is just atrocious! Even with a merit scholarship, their representatives expect me to take out the maximum amount of federal loans every year. My family contribution was reduced and the Alumni Loan was eliminated, but my aid package is still far from satisfactory. I will be withdrawing my acceptance before the end of the week. Hopefully those on the waitlist will see some movement, but be warned: you will have to cough up some serious dough to attend this institution.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that merit scholarship funds would be added to the need-based aid already issued. Unfortunately that is not the case. I was very pleased to discover that I had been awarded a merit scholarship for $40k/yr earlier this afternoon and was under the impression that medical school tuition would be nearly free considering that my need-based aid equaled $19k/yr. However, when I checked the financial aid portal, the total CWRU Scholarship listed for 2016-2017 was $40k/yr. My need-based aid was completely absorbed by my merit scholarship!

Case's Financial Aid Office is just atrocious! Even with a merit scholarship, their representatives expect me to take out the maximum amount of federal loans every year. My family contribution was reduced and the Alumni Loan was eliminated, but my aid package is still far from satisfactory. I will be withdrawing my acceptance before the end of the week. Hopefully those on the waitlist will see some movement, but be warned: you will have to cough up some serious dough to attend this institution.

While I can appreciate you being upset that your scholarship absorbed your need based award, i'm confused how you think it's "atrocious" when you (only) have to borrow ~40k/yr. For many of the top institutions, this is the base loan amount (i.e. you have to borrow at least this much). That equates to about $160k in debt (not counting interest), which is pretty similar to the $180k figure listed for private schools (ave indebtedness).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like you received a fairly good deal in comparison to others at Case, and in comparison to similar med schools (i.e. expensive tuition private institutions)

edit: also, if you don't go, please tell them to give some of scholarship to me :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
While I can appreciate you being upset that your scholarship absorbed your need based award, i'm confused how you think it's "atrocious" when you (only) have to borrow ~40k/yr. For many of the top institutions, this is the base loan amount (i.e. you have to borrow at least this much). That equates to about $160k in debt (not counting interest), which is pretty similar to the $180k figure listed for private schools (ave indebtness).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like you received a fairly good deal in comparison to others at Case, and in comparison to similar med schools (i.e. expensive tuition private institutions)

Case's need-based aid was by far the lowest of the institutions that have accepted me. I feel it is quite deceptive to label to label something a "merit scholarship" if ~50% of those funds are used to cover one's demonstrated financial need. Maybe I am little naive about financing medical school, but I thought merit scholarship funds are typically considered and awarded independently of applicants' financial background. I simply did not expect Case to cap the scholarship award per student at $40k/yr.

Other schools have awarded me aid packages that have been more generous because merit funds were added in addition need-based grants. I guess Case's policy to absorb them caught me way off guard.

Case's need-based aid was by far the lowest of the institutions that have accepted me. I feel it is quite deceptive to label to label something a "merit scholarship" if ~50% of those funds are used to cover one's demonstrated financial need. Maybe I am little naive about financing medical school, but I thought merit scholarship funds are typically considered and awarded independently of applicants' financial background. I simply did not expect Case to cap the scholarship award per student at $40k/yr.

Other schools have awarded me aid packages that have been far more generous because merit funds were added in addition need-based grants. I guess Case's policy to absorb them caught me way off guard.

Fair enough. I don't think this is entirely uncommon however. I believe your need-based aid is often adjusted when you get additional scholarships because essentially it was calculated based on what you needed at the time, which is less after the scholarship. So perhaps the point is more that their need-based aid isn't great.

edit: also just want to say im not expert either. I just saw your scholarship amount and based on what other people have said here, it seemed the most generous of what had been posted.

It definitely seems like Case has bad financial aid, but I would kill to only be taking out 40k/yr. I'll be taking out almost twice that for my public school lol.

BTW, this is from their website. It looks like you received the maximum amount of scholarships:

CWRU Merit Based Scholarships
CWRU has several merit based scholarships for which incoming students are eligible. All are renewable scholarships.

1. CWRU Dean's Scholarship - merit scholarship - scholarships ranging from $20,000 to $40,000 per year
  2. Satcher-Pamies - minority merit scholarship - 2 students receive $30,000 per year
  3. Alumni Scholarship - merit scholarship with a need component - 2 students receive $20,000 per year
The scholarships are renewable each year for a maximum of four years based on satisfactory academic progress as determined by the scholarship committee. Application for this scholarship is by invitation of the admissions committee only and winners will be notified by early April.

Members don't see this ad :)
And the following (old):

For the University Program
The unit loan (Stafford Loan) is that amount which the student must obtain through bank loans or other sources before school funds can be allocated. The unit loan for the 2008-2009 award year will be $32,000 ($8,500 subsidized and $23,500 unsubsidized) for first year medical students.

Anyone (current students) gone into the MD/MS (Applied Anatomy) program? Curious how intense it is on top of MD coursework?

Congratulations! I guess most of students will not receive any merit scholarship. Any idea how many students do receive Merit Scholarship from Case each year?

Dude... my merit scholarship was almost equivalent to the need based aid I was supposed to receive. Quit complaining.

There was a nice student panel during Second Look and the question was posed regarding how students deal with the enormous debt. The two pieces of advice I gleaned from their responses are: a) Go where you will be happy and to a school that teaches you to be a great physician and b) If you need any justification for the loans, just look at the Match list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It was a busy, but very fun weekend. They really made an effort to show us hospitality and what the school is all about. It included a mock IQ session (participating), bowling alley socializing, a nice reception, dinners at alumni houses, a bus tour, some info sessions on particular aspects of student life, facility tours, and putting us up in a nice hotel. (Probably missing some things)
Crucial detail: party bus.

Reactions: 3 users
So. . . These financial aid packages though. . . Just got mine. I now understand the complaints, but comparatively it seems as if I got lucky.

So. . . These financial aid packages though. . . Just got mine. I now understand the complaints, but comparatively it seems as if I got lucky.
If you got anything, you got lucky.

For clarification: Billing and disbursements happen in each semester?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just withdrew. It was a really tough choice, it seems like an amazing place. Best of luck!!

edit: and just so no one has to go through my previous posts (lol I totally do it too tho), I'm going to Northwestern.

Reactions: 4 users
does anyone know what the gym situation is like? we didn't get to see it on our tour! is it true that the new 4500 sq ft weight room is open to everyone...!?!?!??!

does anyone know what the gym situation is like? we didn't get to see it on our tour! is it true that the new 4500 sq ft weight room is open to everyone...!?!?!??!
Veale is near the medical school and is included in tuition. You can also pay extra for 1-2-1 Fitness. I hear they have some cool classes.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

What are most people planning on doing for computers? Do you think most people are going to buy through Case or try the bring-your-own program (which I wish they would provide more info about soon)? I also assume that if you purchase through Case that it simply gets billed into your financial aid award?

Just withdrew as well, crossing my fingers for those of you on the wait list. You got this! <3

Question about merit scholarships-- are those only given upon matriculation and renewed each year if requirements are fulfilled? Or is it possible to be offered one after M1 or M2 if you do really well?
Pretty sure these aren't given post-matriculation. There are other sources of free money once you're already a med student though (research fellowships etc.).

Having the hardest time deciding if I want to withdraw from here. :( so confused!!!!

what are your other options?
The University of Central Florida. It's a newer school with little prestige when compared to Case but I felt more at home there. I wasn't able to go to second look for Case so I wasn't able to give it a second chance and see if I felt like I could really see myself there.

Can anyone give me a little more information about their laptop policy? I have a Mac air--do I need to buy a new laptop or can I just use this and install whatever program we are required to have?

Can anyone give me a little more information about their laptop policy? I have a Mac air--do I need to buy a new laptop or can I just use this and install whatever program we are required to have?
I have an air too, but I think we have to get a pro. At least the air I had didn't meet the spec requirements they posted on the website

To those withdrawing,
Just to clarify, you are withdrawing your acceptances? Or withdrawing from the wait/alternate list?

Also, does anyone know when alternate list movement for UT starts? April 30th is the traffic day deadline for CWRU, and previous threads indicate ~May 7th-10th. Just curious if anyone had more info on that.

Sincerely, an increasingly concerned and neurotic alternate lister (please love me CWRU)

To those withdrawing,
Just to clarify, you are withdrawing your acceptances? Or withdrawing from the wait/alternate list?

Also, does anyone know when alternate list movement for UT starts? April 30th is the traffic day deadline for CWRU, and previous threads indicate ~May 7th-10th. Just curious if anyone had more info on that.

Sincerely, an increasingly concerned and neurotic alternate lister (please love me CWRU)
I think May 2nd is the deadline for CWRU?