2015-2016 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think it's a bad sign that I didn't get the email?
Not necessarily. If there's anything I learned during the admissions game it's that you shouldn't put too much stock in any one event. For example I had heard from another school to expect a call from them because I was coming off their waitlist in the next few days...the call never came. And then another, completely different school pulled me from their waitlist without any warning whatsoever. I'm not 100% how Case's waitlist process works, but I wouldn't lose hope just because you didn't receive this email!
If you're still super interested in Case, I would recommend a letter of intent or an update to the admissions committee just to let them know. Case has a tendency to accept people who prove they want to be here! So even without receiving this email, I think a good way to improve your chances is to show interest.

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily. If there's anything I learned during the admissions game it's that you shouldn't put too much stock in any one event. For example I had heard from another school to expect a call from them because I was coming off their waitlist in the next few days...the call never came. And then another, completely different school pulled me from their waitlist without any warning whatsoever. I'm not 100% how Case's waitlist process works, but I wouldn't lose hope just because you didn't receive this email!
If you're still super interested in Case, I would recommend a letter of intent or an update to the admissions committee just to let them know. Case has a tendency to accept people who prove they want to be here! So even without receiving this email, I think a good way to improve your chances is to show interest.

Thanks for the advice! I already sent in an update a couple of weeks ago though so I don't think I should bug them anymore haha.

If I don't end up getting accepted here (or anywhere) this cycle, I will definitely apply here again. I loved the school!!

Although I was not accepted to Case this year, I want to wish the people of Cleveland good luck in this years NBA Finals. I have a very strong feeling that the Land (216) will receive it's first NBA Championship. Good luck and god bless.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anatomy at case western prosections or actual dissections?
They require us to purchase dissection kits, take a survey on how we feel about dissecting, etc, so I'm thinking actual dissections. Sounds like that may change when they build the new med school tho?

At my interview they made it sound like it was almost entirely prosections. They also just finished that whole HoloLense or whatever it's called, so not sure how that will play into anatomy.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

At my interview they made it sound like it was almost entirely prosections. They also just finished that whole HoloLense or whatever it's called, so not sure how that will play into anatomy.

Watching the HoloLens vid and reading up on it on their website, looks like perhaps that's being implemented in the new med campus, whenever that's finished? I was kind of hoping we'd get the real deal and then be asked to try out the new HoloLens stuff to see what works, but that's just me being optimistic :p

I really, really hope it's not mostly prosections. If I want to see someone else's dissection, I'll google it or look at Rohen's. I didn't get that impression at my interview, but I suppose I didn't really ask. I just figure there's at least some dissection since they require us to get the kits.

Watching the HoloLens vid and reading up on it on their website, looks like perhaps that's being implemented in the new med campus, whenever that's finished? I was kind of hoping we'd get the real deal and then be asked to try out the new HoloLens stuff to see what works, but that's just me being optimistic
I really, really hope it's not mostly prosections. If I want to see someone else's dissection, I'll google it or look at Rohen's. I didn't get that impression at my interview, but I suppose I didn't really ask. I just figure there's at least some dissection since they require us to get the kits.
Yeah that was literally the only thing I didn't like about Case, that it didn't sound like we'd get to do a lot of dissection. I could be totally wrong though.

And the new campus will open in 2019.

Yeah that was literally the only thing I didn't like about Case, that it didn't sound like we'd get to do a lot of dissection. I could be totally wrong though.

And the new campus will open in 2019.
Man, now I'm bummed.
Thanks, didn't feel like re-looking that up. I remembered that it'd be before I graduated, but after I much cared about the med school building itself, lol! I actually like the old campus, not at all sad I'll be there instead!

Man, now I'm bummed.
Thanks, didn't feel like re-looking that up. I remembered that it'd be before I graduated, but after I much cared about the med school building itself, lol! I actually like the old campus, not at all sad I'll be there instead!
Yeah I agree, University Circle is much nicer than the area Cleveland Clinic is in (despite the fact that they're <5 minutes apart by car).

Yeah I agree, University Circle is much nicer than the area Cleveland Clinic is in (despite the fact that they're <5 minutes apart by car).
That doesn't bother me so much, I just like being RIGHT on the hospital, in a quad with the other health students, and right by the university itself. I loved the campus when I toured (though the actual building, less so.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got called off the waitlist yesterday!!! 2 weeks after getting the "are you still interested" email!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if the CWRU shuttle is free for students? Is there a transit app that will show us when the shuttle will arrive at each stop? Just trying to figure out what types of transportation are available in the area. Thanks!

Does anyone know if the CWRU shuttle is free for students? Is there a transit app that will show us when the shuttle will arrive at each stop? Just trying to figure out what types of transportation are available in the area. Thanks!
Shuttles are free. There is an app to track them. But the shuttles are pretty unreliable. I've only used them once. There is also safe ride which can take you anywhere on or around campus from 7pm till 3am.

Also, depending on where you want to go, public transportation is not horrible. Getting downtown is very easy, for example. But getting to the nearest major grocery store requires a long trip by bus or Uber.

Shuttles are free. There is an app to track them. But the shuttles are pretty unreliable. I've only used them once. There is also safe ride which can take you anywhere on or around campus from 7pm till 3am.

Also, depending on where you want to go, public transportation is not horrible. Getting downtown is very easy, for example. But getting to the nearest major grocery store requires a long trip by bus or Uber.
Thanks! What is the app called?

If we won't have a car on campus, which places do you recommend living in that will be within close walking distance to grocery stores and the med campus? Thanks Lannister!

Thanks! What is the app called?

If we won't have a car on campus, which places do you recommend living in that will be within close walking distance to grocery stores and the med campus? Thanks Lannister!

The app is called NextBus, I believe. And the app to request Safe ride is RideCell.
Check out apartments on Mayfield anywhere between Little Italy (which starts at the intersection of Euclid and Mayfield) and Coventry. Also check out the cedar-fairmount area.
There is a small grocery store and lots of restaurants on Euclid between E 115th and the main quad/med school. And Coventry is a really cool area with lots of restaurants and shops. Coventry's a bit of a hike (~30 minutes walking) but saferide can take you there and the shuttles probably can as well.
Cost of living is cheap as heck in Cleveland so you should be able to find something for a decent price. Just beware that hardly any of the buildings here have AC, as I have discovered this summer.
As for where not to live: try not to go north of Wade Park avenue (although I currently live north of there, but I wouldn't wanna live here long term) or east of about E 120th st. Also avoid anything west of Cleveland Clinic, the area between Case and downtown is pretty sketchy.

Here's the link to Case's housing page, for anyone who's interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/288660187876068/

You'll need your Net ID to join, I believe.

Just to add: you can totally live in Cleveland without a car. UH, Cleveland Clinic, and the VA are all easily accessible without one. You'll need a car to get to Metro though. But at my interview I asked and they said it's definitely possible to get through all four years without a car.

Is anatomy at case western prosections or actual dissections?
@Lannister and @mehc012 as well
Unless they're making drastic changes from last year, your anatomy curriculum will be all dissections. For Blocks 2-4 (you don't do dissections in Block 1, it's only 5 weeks) you'll be doing all the dissections yourself, with Anatomy TAs and faculty in the labs with you to help if you get stuck. I'm a rising M2 and my understanding is that Block 6 will have prosections because a lot of that is delicate nervous tissue which we are likely to screw up, haha.

So, unless they've made sudden changes without notifying the rest of us, you'll be doing all dissections during M1. Rejoice! (They're fun but can be gross.)

Watching the HoloLens vid and reading up on it on their website, looks like perhaps that's being implemented in the new med campus, whenever that's finished? I was kind of hoping we'd get the real deal and then be asked to try out the new HoloLens stuff to see what works, but that's just me being optimistic :p

Regarding the HoloLens, you don't do too much with it during M1 (unless they're changing the curriculum for you guys). As I mentioned above, to my knowledge you will still be doing full dissections of the cadavers on your own. Also, you are always welcome to check out other groups' dissections in the lab. It's helpful to check in with other groups about some structures ("can you guys see your cadaver's ____? I think we cut ours out....") Like the rest of Case's curriculum, the anatomy labs have a very collaborative feel to them.

I've already harped on this in my last two replies, but you'll be doing dissections all through M1. There are prosections available for you to look at in every lab though, performed by the TAs and faculty, if you need a reference.
@mehc012 @cassette123

I've already harped on this in my last two replies, but you'll be doing dissections all through M1. There are prosections available for you to look at in every lab though, performed by the TAs and faculty, if you need a reference.
@mehc012 @cassette123
Thanks! Your descriptions were more the impression I had gotten, but it's nice to hear that from someone who knows! I mean, why require dissection kits if you don't dissect, right?

Thanks! Your descriptions were more the impression I had gotten, but it's nice to hear that from someone who knows! I mean, why require dissection kits if you don't dissect, right?
So true. I'm so excited to welcome you guys in a few weeks, and I know the rest of my classmates are too! You guys are gonna love Case.

Does anyone know if it's worth it to buy the PD package through Case? I haven't done enough price comparisons

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does anyone know if it's worth it to buy the PD package through Case? I haven't done enough price comparisons

As an undergrad I was always of the opinion that I should give Case no more of my money than was necessary. Universities inflate prices so much.

Yeah, you can't really buy the simple student oto/optho outside the package. I tried Amazon, direct from the manufacturer, etc.

As an undergrad I was always of the opinion that I should give Case no more of my money than was necessary. Universities inflate prices so much.
You're not buying through Case, it's just a group discount/ access to options you don't get on your own. And if they ship the whole class' order at once you don't have to pay shipping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

You're not buying through Case, it's just a group discount/ access to options you don't get on your own. And if they ship the whole class' order at once you don't have to pay shipping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
Lol I thought the post said PC package, as in computer package. Nevermind!!

I would say definitely. It all arrives in one neat package for you, and you really do end up using basically all of it during M1. (For my class the oto-ophthalmoscope was an "optional" additional purchase, so not many people got it. But it looks like it's part of the package for you, so maybe they're planning on implementing it more in the PD curriculum this year.)

So true. I'm so excited to welcome you guys in a few weeks, and I know the rest of my classmates are too! You guys are gonna love Case.
Btw what are the anatomy labs like? We didn't get to tour them -- fairly nice?

Btw what are the anatomy labs like? We didn't get to tour them -- fairly nice?
They're fine. Nothing crazy beautiful but not downright horrific either. Basically what you'd expect an anatomy lab to be like, I suppose. On a semi-related note, the lab periods themselves (dissections) can be pretty interesting and the TAs are enormously helpful. Get to know them well!

Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew. It was a really tough choice, it seems like an amazing place. Best of luck!!

edit: and just so no one has to go through my previous posts (lol I totally do it too tho), I'm going to Northwestern.
Did Northwestern give any Scholarships/grants?

What was your MCAT?
Their LizzyM was 71, you'll have to go on that. There's no need to go digging up months (almost a year) old posts about rejections and prodding people about minor details. You don't know how their cycle went overall, and even if they're currently sitting in their med school orientation, some rejections still sting.

Although I was not accepted to Case this year, I want to wish the people of Cleveland good luck in this years NBA Finals. I have a very strong feeling that the Land (216) will receive it's first NBA Championship. Good luck and god bless.
Holy **** so I'm waiting to hear back from Case and I was just anxiously reading through laast year's thread (this one) when I saw this post.

I know you're currently from the past, but in the past were you from the future? Lol

Reactions: 3 users