2015-2016 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that is where grad PLUS loans come in? Not sure though...
That's what they told me, but I think it's ridiculous for schools to even expect that to come from a student based on last years taxes. Sure, I worked my ass off at three jobs to earn 40K, but it's not like I didn't have student loans to pay for, travel expenses to interview, applications, idk.... LIFE costs. Oh well.... What's another 10K in additional loans when you're already elbow deep, eh?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's what they told me, but I think it's ridiculous for schools to even expect that to come from a student based on last years taxes. Sure, I worked my ass off at three jobs to earn 40K, but it's not like I didn't have student loans to pay for, travel expenses to interview, applications, idk.... LIFE costs. Oh well.... What's another 10K in additional loans when you're already elbow deep, eh?
I wish med school in the US was as cheap an as in Canada

Anyone know why so many case students end up matching in to neurosurgery? 10 last year and had been steadily increasing. Curious what is inspiring students to pursue it, as this number is double most other top programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know why so many case students end up matching in to neurosurgery? 10 last year and had been steadily increasing. Curious what is inspiring students to pursue it, as this number is double most other top programs.

Maybe it's the large debt they face after school. I imagine surgical specialties (they matched a bunch into ortho too) and their high salaries are very attractive to someone looking at having to repay 300k in loans.

Ive heard their home program is awesome and that it attracts the students

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone placed on post-interview hold heard anything regarding a waitlist position yet?

Submitted my financial aid stuff the week before the deadline (lol), so probably won't hear for another few weeks. Has anybody heard about merit scholarship decisions yet?

A few questions for current students:

1. Looking at the academic calendar, I'm unclear on whether the WR2 curriculum is a 4-semester or 3-semester curriculum and I forget (it's been a while since my interview). Can someone answer this? I'm choosing between here and a school that has 3-semester curriculum.
2. Are you ACTUALLY done at noon every day? Like--no labs, no small groups, or anything like that after noon, ever?
3. Why the early start in July? How does that effect the rest of the academic year?
4. How are exams structured? Do you really just have one exam (or a few exams in one week) per block? What is Structure Exam, SSEQ Exam, and NBME Exam? Are there quizzes at other times during the blocks?
5. What is Clinical Immersion Week?

Thanks!! :)

Yo, 4th year here.

1. We do things in "blocks" rather than semesters. First year is 4 "blocks" with block 1 (foundations of clinical medicine) being much lighter and relaxed compared to blocks 2-4. Second year is two blocks, and then you have dedicated time to study for step 1.

2. For the most part, yes. Usually, the first week of each block has a slightly different schedule, and we may *gasp* have lecture until 1 or so. There are some weeks as well where we have clinical requirements in the afternoon or the evening, usually for 2-3 hours. But these are the exception rather than the norm. I'd say 80% of the time I had nothing scheduled after noon during the week, but our IQ groups sometimes decided to meet informally in the afternoon to go over some stuff for the week.

3. No idea, didn't seem to really affect the rest of the year that much. The first 5-week block in July is sort of an intro block to get you used to med school - it covers biostats, bioethics, and things like social determinants of health. You won't get heavy into biochem or "hard science" until block 2, and at this point you should know your classmates a little better, which is nice.

4. Usually 3 exams during the last week of the block. There's anatomy (practical and written), histopathology (multiple choice, easy), and the short-answer/essay test, called the SSEQ. I honestly can't remember what it stands for, it's been awhile! But it's a 4 hour exam. There are not any quizzes, but there are small weekly assignments (multiple choice, short answer) that you have to complete, as well as weekly reflections, which can get annoying even if they aren't difficult.

5. Clinical immersion week typically happens during the week or second week before the end of block exams. You're scheduled to go to a clinic / inpatient ward that has to do with the material that you were covering during the previous block. For example, during the GI block, you might be assigned to go for a few hours to observe endoscopies/colonoscopies or something similarly poop related. It's fairly relaxing and you still get ample time to study for the exams.

Hopefully this helps!

Reactions: 2 users

I'm one of those crazy neurosurgery folks. We had a bunch match last year and even more this year, mainly because our faculty are very approachable and accessible, and the residents are a really fun group. Also, during your 3rd year neurology rotation, you can do a 2-week neurosurgery elective. This is a really cool opportunity and you get to do A TON in the OR, and I think a lot of people who are "on the fence" about nsgy end up having a great experience and decide to give it a shot after.

Or maybe there's something weird in the water in Lake Erie.

Reactions: 4 users
Okay what is going on with the server for their financial aid site...

It has been giving me problems since day one and now won't let me check any of my aid information.

Okay what is going on with the server for their financial aid site...

It has been giving me problems since day one and now won't let me check any of my aid information.

I know! I got an email stating my financial aid offer was available and I had to wait for like an hour for it to get through! Keep trying, maybe you'll get on there eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is in the mood for some (expensive) ice cream during second look, stop by Piccadilly!

Reactions: 1 users
Mitchell's Ice Cream is cheaper and tastier! I recommend the PB Banana smoothie!

I agree with the cheaper, but tastier? No way. Mitchell's has more flavor options but nothing beats the quality of Piccadilly. Also, I work there so yeah haha.

Oh, and Piccadilly is a much cooler experience, we make all of our ice cream with liquid nitrogen. So it's a cool place to visit if you're from out of town. You can go to a regular scoop shop any time.

Close to case?

There's a location on Euclid (ice cream) and another in Coventry (yogurt).

I'm flying in on the redeye, showing up gross and sleep-deprived early Friday morning. Can't wait!

I agree with the cheaper, but tastier? No way. Mitchell's has more flavor options but nothing beats the quality of Piccadilly. Also, I work there so yeah haha.

Oh, and Piccadilly is a much cooler experience, we make all of our ice cream with liquid nitrogen. So it's a cool place to visit if you're from out of town. You can go to a regular scoop shop any time.

There's a location on Euclid (ice cream) and another in Coventry (yogurt).

I suppose the solution is everybody visiting for second look will just need to get ice cream twice :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an email about the UT waitlist. Woohoo. :yeahright:

I did as well, but I'll most likely be withdrawing. Good luck to the rest of you waiting!

What'd you guys use the additional info box for? I already sent a LOI/update letter, so I just said like "as I indicated in my letter several months ago, CWRU is my top choice". And then provided a brief like two sentence update. I hope that's sufficient.

Canceled my reservation for 2nd look and will be likely withdrawing my acceptance here. Hope to add another spot for those alternate listed.

Or maybe it is the ones with only 1 option who are truly lucky, no need to second guess, full (and only) commitment :rolleyes:
True... but damn it would sure be nice to not have my only option also be the most expensive :p

Me: "I've paid my last tuition bill, I'm not giving this school another dollar! Except if they accept me into their med school, then I'll gladly give them another 200k".

Anybody know when all aid packages will be out?

Me: "I've paid my last tuition bill, I'm not giving this school another dollar! Except if they accept me into their med school, then I'll gladly give them another 200k".

I'm going to wind up giving them 60+ just for my first year... and my parent's don't make very much money at all.

I'm going to wind up giving them 60+ just for my first year... and my parent's don't make very much money at all.

Well, if it makes you feel better, if I got into Case I'd be taking out full COA in loans (I'm still doing that for the school that has currently accepted me, but it's a public school so much cheaper). I don't qualify for any need-based institutional aid x.x

So I'm assuming that we will be able to enter our SSN/proceed with financial aid once they process our acceptance of a spot on the waitlist? I'm not seeing where on iApply I am supposed to enter my SSN.

So I'm assuming that we will be able to enter our SSN/proceed with financial aid once they process our acceptance of a spot on the waitlist? I'm not seeing where on iApply I am supposed to enter my SSN.

I don't see it either. Also wondering if I'll need to do this since I already have a network ID.

Question for anyone floating around in here that filled out the secondary last year:

For the research question, do most people just describe 1 project? I have done research in several very different areas (entomology lab; drug design lab; epidemiology thesis). Should I choose the most meaningful of the experience and just write about that? Or should I try to fit everything in 1 essay, maybe a paragraph each?

I got waitlisted too. But at this point I'm rooting for @Lannister to get picked!

Question for anyone floating around in here that filled out the secondary last year:

For the research question, do most people just describe 1 project? I have done research in several very different areas (entomology lab; drug design lab; epidemiology thesis). Should I choose the most meaningful of the experience and just write about that? Or should I try to fit everything in 1 essay, maybe a paragraph each?

I had three projects and talked about all of them.

How do we withdraw from
Case?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The portal has been updated for those of us on the alternate list.
Side note, it's mildly depressing to see the acceptance tab on there and know it isn't real.

Edit: Lol I'm trying to do financial aid and I think since I'm not technically accepted and I'm still registered as an undergrad, it's giving me the undergrad application that asks like how many credits you'll register for and stuff. Any other current/past undergrads have this problem or know how to fix it? I'll probably call.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how to activate the network ID?

Anyone who went to Second Look care to share their thoughts/impressions/anything new they've learned about Case? Thanks!

Anyone who went to Second Look care to share their thoughts/impressions/anything new they've learned about Case? Thanks!
It was a busy, but very fun weekend. They really made an effort to show us hospitality and what the school is all about. It included a mock IQ session (participating), bowling alley socializing, a nice reception, dinners at alumni houses, a bus tour, some info sessions on particular aspects of student life, facility tours, and putting us up in a nice hotel. (Probably missing some things)

Did everyone that wasn't accepted get on the alternate list?
Also, has anyone had luck with letters of interest?