2015-2016 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard back right after sending one in, but don't panic. Maybe send a second email? Showing more interest in the school can't hurt.

Ah okay, in that case I will definitely send another email asking if they got the first one.

Members don't see this ad.

I see what you did there

Hahaha ahhh case jokes.
Here's another favorite.
Untitled 2.png

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: just got a response thanking me for my update haha

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected off of Spring hold for CT on 1/23/2016. Complete since 7/27/2015.

I wonder if we are placed on post-interview hold, and ultimately not accepted, if we can apply EDP the following year?

I dont see why not. But, most schools tend to evaluate re-applicants a bit more closely. Schools often want to see improvement in the application from re-applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious about the WR2 curriculum. It seems as there are numerous and extensive evaluations at multiple levels and constantly throughout. Is my impression correct that there seems to be more of this at Case than at most other med schools, or is Case just more upfront about it all?

From what I recall, you get an evaluation on your PBL sessions but that's really more of a "you're doing good" or you can "work on ___" kind of evaluation. Then there are exams at the end of each block, I know my student interviewer specifically liked that anatomy exams and lecture exams were spread out so they weren't on the same day. And I'm pretty sure there's like a mini-break after each exam? I think they called it a transition week or something. Case didn't strike me as having more exams than other schools - maybe it seems that way because anatomy is extended ?

UT rejection this morning (complete mid-September). Good luck to everyone still in the running, Case is a great school!

Anyone know how long we will hear post interview if we interviewed early January

I recall seeing they aim for 3 weeks. They do list their upcoming interview dates that they will be reviewing at the committee meeting online. It's linked to Facebook I think and maybe Twitter ?

Whoaaaa, just got a super late interview invite today (complete in August). Dates are still open all the way until the end of February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing interview reviews (I interviewed for UT in 2014-2015, so what I say might be inaccurate for current interviewees):

Great research and clinical opportunities. Love PBL. Cleveland is kind of mehhhhhhh except for that one neighborhood case is in. The skype interview was insulting, why do I pay to fly out to be interviewed by someone on skype, I can do that from home? My student tour guide made a rude remark when I asked her a question.

Grade: C+

Withdrew II here today. Best of luck to people waiting to hear back.

Doing interview reviews (I interviewed for UT in 2014-2015, so what I say might be inaccurate for current interviewees):

Great research and clinical opportunities. Love PBL. Cleveland is kind of mehhhhhhh except for that one neighborhood case is in. The skype interview was insulting, why do I pay to fly out to be interviewed by someone on skype, I can do that from home? My student tour guide made a rude remark when I asked her a question.

Grade: C+
To give an alternate viewpoint, my Case UT interview was my favorite of the whole season. Like a warm hug. Solid A.

Reactions: 2 users
To give an alternate viewpoint, my Case UT interview was my favorite of the whole season. Like a warm hug. Solid A.
+2 Case was my favorite interview. Definitely felt very warm and inviting. Also I loved my student interviewer and tour guide - both felt like they were very well-rounded, personable, and relaxed even though they had an exam in a couple days. What Skype interviews do they do? Seems unusual

FYI from Facebook:
"Next Monday's Ad Com Mtg. will review interviewees from 1/22, 25, 27, 28 (MSTP), 29, 2/1 & 3."

That's Monday Feb8th.. woohooo pretty soon for us 1/29ers.

edit: it looks like the last Adcom Meeting's decisions came out 9 days after.. so decisions around Feb17th then.

Wondering if everyone gets either accepted or placed on hold? I understand maybe some applicants don't like sharing rejections but haven't really seen any posts regarding post interview rejections
Placed on hold earlier this month.+pity+ Fingers crossed. I absolutely loved Case

Wondering if everyone gets either accepted or placed on hold? I understand maybe some applicants don't like sharing rejections but haven't really seen any posts regarding post interview rejections
Placed on hold earlier this month.+pity+ Fingers crossed. I absolutely loved Case

My impression was that the vast majority of people get placed on post-interview hold, and you'd really have to mess up badly to get outright rejected.

My impression was that the vast majority of people get placed on post-interview hold, and you'd really have to mess up badly to get outright rejected.

I believe someone on my interview day said a third accepted, third hold, third rejected.

Wow... I haven't seen anyone say they got rejected post-interview on here.

The guy that said it could have been wrong haha he said he was involved with admissions years ago.

Are there any current medical students here who would be willing to answer some of my questions about Case? I searched through the thread but couldn't find any who said they were current students.

Are there any current medical students here who would be willing to answer some of my questions about Case? I searched through the thread but couldn't find any who said they were current students.
hey sunshine, I'm a current student. What questions do you have?

From the facebook page:

"We're in the planning phases of our Second Look Weekend, April 15-16. Registration instructions will be emailed to you in a couple weeks. I don't have a formalized agenda yet but the typical outline is as follows:

Friday night (~ 6:30pm): Welcome reception (dinner), visit student interest group tables, music, mix/mingle with other accepted students and current medical students. Plus, minority and LGBTQ student welcome receptions.

Saturday: Full day of info sessions, activities, bus tour, dinner at alumni homes and evening bowling at the Corner Alley - Uptown. You will be engaged pretty much from 8:30am until 11:00pm.

You are responsible for your travel arrangements to Cleveland and getting to/from the hotel. We will take care of the rest on Friday and Saturday - your hotel for two nights, transportation on Saturday getting you around to different activities, and food on Friday and Saturday. Sunday you're on your own to explore some more!"

Sounds like a mini vaca for my wife and I

wow, that's awesome. Hoping yesterday's Adcom meeting has some good news for me coming up..

ACCEPTED!!!! Just checked my portal and the letter was there! Interviewed 1/29.

Reactions: 10 users
Can someone tell me whether the individuals selected for merit award application invitation are identified in the acceptance letter itself, or does that happen after you accept it? I haven't clicked Accept yet, but was just wondering if I should've seen it already if that was the case.

For me a different letter popped up on the portal.

Can someone tell me whether the individuals selected for merit award application invitation are identified in the acceptance letter itself, or does that happen after you accept it? I haven't clicked Accept yet, but was just wondering if I should've seen it already if that was the case.
You will get two letters: an acceptance letter and a letter indicating that you will be considered for merit scholarship. Good luck!

Accepted! (Interview 2/1)

Holy !!!, finally I can stop worrying about having to re-apply lol. The relief is too real. (also Case was super legit/friendly so I'm pretty happy about this)

Also I just realized I have a separate notification about the merit scholarship; it says there's an additional application in March 2016 and recipients will be notified in April, and I noticed it before I clicked "accept offer."

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! (Interview 2/2)

Holy !!!, finally I can stop worrying about having to re-apply lol. The relief is too real. (also Case was super legit/friendly so I'm pretty happy about this)

Also I just realized I have a separate notification about the merit scholarship; it says there's an additional application in March 2016 and recipients will be notified in April, and I noticed it before I clicked "accept offer."

Congrats!! :D

Anyone know what a "hold for future consideration" post-interview really means? Is this like a waitlist? Chances of getting in if I have been given this designation?

Anyone know what a "hold for future consideration" post-interview really means? Is this like a waitlist? Chances of getting in if I have been given this designation?

The email explains it pretty well. It's a waitlist for the waitlist. The real waitlist will be formed in like early April, and then you can hear any time after that. I've heard that anywhere between 6-40 students get accepted off the waitlist, but it's possible that it's a few hundred students long.

I am also wondering this same thing...
The cool thing is that you all still have time to take a full biochemistry course, either in the Spring or online. If this is an issue, you should contact the office and clarify what you intend to do. You hit the ground running in July with small-group studies involving biochemical pathways that require a solid background in biochemistry, so you will be struggling from the start if you cannot meet this requirement before marticulation.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

Folks: For CCLCM (CP) Dr. Franco shot me an e-mail she had to leave town Friday and understands that you are all waiting for responses. However, she wasn't able to complete all the calls herself before she had to leave. :( Hang tight if you do not have a decision yet - Nobody should panic if they haven't heard back! Just chillax - we are terribly excited about all of you, so I'm asking for a little patience!

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

ACCEPTED!!!! Just checked my portal and the letter was there! Interviewed 1/29.

Congrats!! How long after decision date on Facebook did you guys find out? Did anyone ever get a phone call or just via iApply?

Congrats!! How long after decision date on Facebook did you guys find out? Did anyone ever get a phone call or just via iApply?
No phone calls. iApply. 2 days after the meeting at midnight PST. Then email next morning.

Thanks! Hold after what I thought was a fantastic interview with both my faculty and student. I was sick that day so maybe came off in my interview. Really loved case though :/

Congrats to y'all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Was accepted here today after interviewing back in September (?) and being continued!

Reactions: 5 users
HURRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY! Got the call this morning! Interviewed in December

Edit: I was placed on post-interview hold in Jan

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I figured the hold list would only see movement after all interviews ? Confused, oh well, congrats everyone!