2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I interviewed here on the 27th of January, and I have yet to receive an interview survey/update from the school. Has anyone experienced such a delay in them receiving the survey?

Thanks,

WL
Some people earlier said that it took up to five weeks to get the hold

Members don't see this ad.

Some people earlier said that it took up to five weeks to get the hold
I noticed that the holds did take a while, but I was specifically talking about the interview survey. Unless those two always come together? My impression was that the survey came before the hold, and that's why I wanted to know if a wait this long for the survey was also common.

Thanks,

Not common. Mine came within 3 days. I would call just to double check.

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that the holds did take a while, but I was specifically talking about the interview survey. Unless those two always come together? My impression was that the survey came before the hold, and that's why I wanted to know if a wait this long for the survey was also common.

Thanks,
Ahh, good point. My survey came about a week and a half after my interview.. maybe a call might be a good idea.

Has anyone received the "hold" status that interviewed mid-january??

So I called them today. I asked them why I haven't heard back since my interview was on 1/8. The guy let me know that the committee takes a certain amount of time depending on your rank, or something to that effect. They're still deliberating I guess?

So I called them today. I asked them why I haven't heard back since my interview was on 1/8. The guy let me know that the committee takes a certain amount of time depending on your rank, or something to that effect. They're still deliberating I guess?

Hmm. I'm right there with you. Don't know if that's exactly great news though...

Hmm. I'm right there with you. Don't know if that's exactly great news though...

I think it's bad news, relatively speaking. I feel like if we were great enough candidates they would have made a quick decision. Of course, the opposite can be true too, I imagine. Conclusion: I have no idea but I always expect bad news by default haha.

Reactions: 1 user
So I was told that we would receive a ranking within 10 days of our interview date? It has been 11 days for me and I was wondering if I misheard...

So I was told that we would receive a ranking within 10 days of our interview date? It has been 11 days for me and I was wondering if I misheard...
They don't disclose rankings. Yes, they said the committee is likely to meet around a week or two after your interview to assign a ranking but they don't email out your ranking. And as for what sort of updates they'll send, all you get is a post-interview survey and then a hold status until you're accepted, waitlisted, or rejected.

They don't disclose rankings. Yes, they said the committee is likely to meet around a week or two after your interview to assign a ranking but they don't email out your ranking. And as for what sort of updates they'll send, all you get is a post-interview survey and then a hold status until you're accepted, waitlisted, or rejected.

OH thank you so much for that clarification. :)

Hi all! This is a question for current students and/or locals. Can anyone provide any feedback on how miserable it would be for a significant other to have to commute each day from Richmond to UVA? Googlemaps says Charlottesville is about an hour away...I'm guessing the traffic isn't too bad but just wanted to hear others' insights.

It would be possible... I work out of Charlottesville as of right now. Rt 64 isn't too bad...but EACH day would be a little tough on the mind and the wallet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! This is a question for current students and/or locals. Can anyone provide any feedback on how miserable it would be for a significant other to have to commute each day from Richmond to UVA? Googlemaps says Charlottesville is about an hour away...I'm guessing the traffic isn't too bad but just wanted to hear others' insights.

I don't think living in c-ville would be a good option, but visiting (even every weekend) would be painless!

It would be possible... I work out of Charlottesville as of right now. Rt 64 isn't too bad...but EACH day would be a little tough on the mind and the wallet.

I don't think living in c-ville would be a good option, but visiting (even every weekend) would be painless!

Yeah...that's kinda what I figured - that it would be a lot on a daily basis. Thanks for your input! I appreciate it :)

Yeah...that's kinda what I figured - that it would be a lot on a daily basis. Thanks for your input! I appreciate it :)

you can make the drive in an hour but holy hell is it a boring drive

^^I'd like to know this as well. Does anyone get straight up rejected?

Same. Just got it finally. Interviewed on 1/8. Hopefully we all get accepted!!! :)

Also, does anyone not receive the hold status??

From what I understand, if your rating after the interview isn't high enough, you don't get the hold and just get rejected. So not everyone gets the hold.

From what I understand, if your rating after the interview isn't high enough, you don't get the hold and just get rejected. So not everyone gets the hold.

Ya that's what I understood from the interview too. But I haven't seen anyone rejected as opposed to getting a hold. Then again SDN is a relatively small sample size.

got the post interview hold status today after interviewing early feb

Does anyone know when their second look is? Just curious. Thank you

I was told March 26th but this is for MD/PhD. I assume they are at the same time, though.

Does anyone know if they will tell you your status on March 16 even if you weren't accepted (wait listed/rejected)? Or is that day only for those accepted?

Does anyone know if they will tell you your status on March 16 even if you weren't accepted (wait listed/rejected)? Or is that day only for those accepted?

if you're still on hold after the last acceptance release date, they'll let you know around the end of march about whether or not you've made it into the waitlist.

All of us waiting for March 16th...
but-meeeeemmmmmm-ive-been-waiting-forever-thumb.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Also, I know that schools that have accepted you can see your acceptances after a certain point. Can schools that have wait-listed you also see where you've been accepted?

So they're done handing out IIs right?

Has anyone not gotten the hold status yet? I interviewed the second week of February. Got the survey Friday Feb27 but nothing since.

Dean Whitehurst-Cook said during the interview day that she would accept update letters if you've had significant clinical experience. Has anyone done this?

At this point you have probably already been voted on by the committee. It would most likely only help you if you were on the waitlist.

Dean Whitehurst-Cook said during the interview day that she would accept update letters if you've had significant clinical experience. Has anyone done this?

from my experience last year, VCU is really adamant about updates not doing much to help anyone's cause. once the adcom meets to vote on your score, there is nothing you can do to change the score. like @Stethonope said, if you're on the waitlist, it can help you move up among others who have the same priority score as you do.

from my experience last year, VCU is really adamant about updates not doing much to help anyone's cause. once the adcom meets to vote on your score, there is nothing you can do to change the score. like @Stethonope said, if you're on the waitlist, it can help you move up among others who have the same priority score as you do.

Thanks! I'm really excited for March 16th!

Just now, better luck to the rest of you!

"Your file has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The overwhelming numbers of applications have made it simply impossible to interview all of the candidates who may be qualified to attend medical school. At this time, we are out of interview space and regret that we are unable to interview you.

The review of your file indicates that you have some fine qualities. While we are unable to interview you this year, we would suggest you consider reapplication if you are not accepted to another medical school. Reapplication should occur only after consideration and consultation of how to strengthen your profile.

We recognize and regret the disappointing nature of our decision and we wish you the best of luck in your future plans."

Just now, better luck to the rest of you!

"Your file has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The overwhelming numbers of applications have made it simply impossible to interview all of the candidates who may be qualified to attend medical school. At this time, we are out of interview space and regret that we are unable to interview you.

The review of your file indicates that you have some fine qualities. While we are unable to interview you this year, we would suggest you consider reapplication if you are not accepted to another medical school. Reapplication should occur only after consideration and consultation of how to strengthen your profile.

We recognize and regret the disappointing nature of our decision and we wish you the best of luck in your future plans."
+1
Best rejection letter ever. LOL

I'm out! Stupid "may" status stringing me along these 7 months....

Same, "further" turn out to be "no further" for me. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the post interview hold after having interviewed way back in October >.<

I got rejected too lololol. At least it's a nice rejection letter. Best of luck to everyone!